Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Isn't the first of the four noble truths just obvious?

13»

Comments

• Alright, Cloud. image
  • edited March 2011
    another the "scientific comrehension" of the Buddha's words. Now I know again just why once I left Buddhist forums well behind! Really wasn't worth saying once, let alone twice.....!!

Indeed. Replace 'scientific' with 'direct experience'. Confusion shall end!
    thecap,

I just popped back to see if there had been any "fallout" from my final post on this forum before finally departing, and saw this.

Just a friendly word. I have no confusion over this, I was indeed from the very beginning of these exchanges speaking of "direct experience". Lets face it, we have only to dip virtually at random into any worthwhile book on "Buddhism" to meet with such as......."If you understand by thinking and know by pondering you are a thousand miles away" (Wu-chien)

The problem seems to lie with certain "western" converts who identify the dharma with some pristine purity of scientific expression, and when others use other words of expression, come out with such awful statements (as met with here) like...."You do not argue with me, you argue with the Dharma" Really!! The last time I met with such as this I was on a Christian Forum, when I found myself "arguing" with God, not with the poster themselves.

It does seem the case that while many who have been born and bred in the Buddhist heartlands - those such as D T Suzuki, Thich Nhat Hanh and even the Dalai Lama himself - are perfectly happy to express themselves with "western" expressions, and even compare many "Buddhist" concepts with those in different "western" traditions, these ardent converts see any such attempt as soiled, as smearing the "pure" dharma - i.e. how THEY see it, comprehend it, know it, express it - with nasty impure words.

Thich Nhat Hanh has himself said that for the Dharma to be expressed NOW exactly as it was THEN (at the time of the buddha) then the words need to change. Such is real life. And of course Hanh walks the talk.

So we probably disagree. Fine.

You can continue to claim I am "confused". Fine again.

All the best
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    To be honest, I do not know much about this teaching or Pali terms, because, in my studies, which are not complete, I have only found these terms in one sutta, spoken by Sariputta.

The point or essense of the matter is if "dukkha" here does mean "suffering", it is still the suffering of attachment.

Dukkha-dukkha may mean suffering about "pain". However, pain is not dukkha. Only a person without mindfulness & wisdom suffers due to pain.

Viparinama-dukkha may mean suffering about "change". However, change is not dukkha. Only a person without mindfulness & wisdom suffers due to change.

Sankhara-dukkha may mean suffering about formations or fabrications. Fabrications, for the most part, are dukkha. Still, only a person without mindfulness & wisdom suffers due to fabrications.

I think you're overcomplicating things. This is simply a 3-fold classification of dukkha, representing increasing levels of subtlety, with some correspondence to the usual dukkha formula. And we know from the suttas that dukkha arises because of grasping and clinging to the aggregates.
    It's simpler and more consistent to say that a Buddha is still subject to birth, ageing, death, pain, impermanence etc but does not experience these as dukkha.

My logic is irrelevant.

I think it's highly relevant because the interpretation you're putting forward isn't internally consistent.

P
    By "good translators" I assume you mean those who agreee with your interpretation.
    That which is agreeing with the wise is not necessarily pleasing tastes and views. ;)
    I agree. Not necessarily. But there are many wise people with different angles.

P
    It actually is just our mental reaction to the impermanence of the world.. IMHO, this is a very tough thing to completely REALISE.....
    I agree, and I recall that Ajahn Sumedho said this was a lifetimes work.

P

The problem seems to lie with certain "western" converts who identify the dharma with some pristine purity of scientific expression, and when others use other words of expression, come out with such awful statements (as met with here) like...."You do not argue with me, you argue with the Dharma" Really!!
    Yes, comments like this are patronising and unhelpful, and Dhamma has many different expressions.

P

I can only recommend you read the First Truth literally, as spoken by the Buddha and not according to pre-conceived notions accumulated from various teachers
    Actually I think that's something YOU need to do as well. ;-)

P
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    This is simply a 3-fold classification of dukkha, representing increasing levels of subtlety, with some correspondence to the usual dukkha formula. And we know from the suttas that dukkha arises because of grasping and clinging to the aggregates. It's simpler and more consistent to say that a Buddha is still subject to birth, ageing, death, pain, impermanence etc but does not experience these as dukkha.
    That what I have been saying all along.
    Actually I think that's something YOU need to do as well.
    Sorry but I do not.
    I think it's highly relevant because the interpretation you're putting forward isn't internally consistent.
    My interpretation I have been putting forward has been perfectly consistent.

:)

edited March 2011

Only sankhara-dukkhata is real dukkha

Are you sure? That isn't the impresssion given here:

SN 38.14 Dukkha Sutta: Stress
    translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

"There are these three forms of stressfulness, my friend: the stressfulness of pain, the stressfulness of fabrication, the stressfulness of change. These are the three forms of stressfulness."

To be honest, I do not know much about this teaching or Pali terms, because, in my studies, which are not complete, I have only found these terms in one sutta, spoken by Sariputta.

The point or essense of the matter is if "dukkha" here does mean "suffering", it is still the suffering of attachment.

Dukkha-dukkha may mean suffering about "pain". However, pain is not dukkha. Only a person without mindfulness & wisdom suffers due to pain.

Viparinama-dukkha may mean suffering about "change". However, change is not dukkha. Only a person without mindfulness & wisdom suffers due to change.

Sankhara-dukkha may mean suffering about formations or fabrications. Fabrications, for the most part, are dukkha. Still, only a person without mindfulness & wisdom suffers due to fabrications.
    Porpoise

I advised you Thanissaro was an unreliable translator. It is acknowledge Bhikkhu Bodhi is the best we have (but still not perfect).

I have just found Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation. Although I have never studied this sutta in detail, Bhikkhu Bodhi has somewhat agreed with me in his translation, but certainly disagreed with Thanissaro, where he has said:

"Suffering due to pain, suffering due to formations and suffering due to change."

But I prefer my translation of "suffering about pain", etc

Kind regards

• edited March 2011

The problem seems to lie with certain "western" converts who identify the dharma with some pristine purity of scientific expression,
    Better than agreement is understanding, tariki. When one says the noble truths are scientific, it's just a modern word for cause-and-effect'ish. The benefits and limitations of scientific expression are well discerned. That which goes beyond, namely wisdom, is well discerned. No need to get hung up on words and stereotypes, friend.
    No, it is not fine but gross (confusion, that is). With lots of metta.

• No.

You disagree with the Dhamma, not with "me".
    The mindfulness of the watcher cares not for disagreement or agreement. Only one, non-dual and infinite.

It is "you" versus the Lord Buddha.

There is no "you" and no "Buddha". Only all, and one, and now.
    c

G1

:banghead:

• You say that the existence of suffering is obvious to you. Are you talking about the suffering of other people hit by earthquakes in Japan, crushed in revolutions against dictators in Africa and the Middle-East, oppressed by poverty in India, or are you referring to your own personal painful experience of life?
    Both of those. But also the painful experiences of pretty much everyone I know. I don't know anyone who hasn't experienced fear, pain, loss, grief, etc, etc. To anyone I know, if I was to say that life is suffering, I doubt I'd get anyone who would response with "Wow, really? I never knew that."

That's not to say there are no people who would react like that, but I've never met any of them.

Life is suffering.
    Objects fall to the ground.
    Sex feels good.
    Two things equal to a third are equal to each other.

All obvious.
    c

• The problem seems to lie with certain "western" converts who identify the dharma with some pristine purity of scientific expression,
    Better than agreement is understanding, tariki. When one says the noble truths are scientific, it's just a modern word for cause-and-effect'ish. The benefits and limitations of scientific expression are well discerned. That which goes beyond, namely wisdom, is well discerned. No need to get hung up on words and stereotypes, friend.
    No, it is not fine but gross (confusion, that is). With lots of metta.

thecap,

To speak of "certain people" IS NOT to stereotype, and seems your way of deflecting that it is in fact yourself who is hung up on words, apparently determined to assume your own "discernment"/"wisdom"/"insight" is of some quality unknown to others who would have the temerity to express themselves differently.

I seek to learn from others, and often do so. I have often seen in the words of others that which I need to take account of. I have judged my own understanding many times. Yet I have seen nothing in your posts, nor that of dhamma dhatu, that makes me think I am seeing the words of those who have any particular understanding that I can learn from. Perhaps if you could both stop presuming your own "wisdom" for just one moment, and actually consider that another had some of their own, you may well make progress yourselves, at least in being a human being if not an Arhant.

Your constant refusal to actually read and comprehend what is said to you........i.e. ejecting "claim" (the operative word) from the above quote, then saying confusion is not "fine", insinuating that I AM confused without actually stating why or how (except that you disagree with whatever I have said and presume your own "correctness"........)

Good grief!

• If the first noble truth is so obvious - why dissect it over three pages of responses? Codified as the first noble truth - it is done so precisely because it is not so obvious to most. Not obvious in the sense that the mental process that causes suffering is thought to be the acceptable, logical, conventional way of handling life experience. Perhaps it is overstating the obvious - but, again, that is because the seat of the mind, the ego and its attendant system of logic (which is perfectly exemplified in the OP inquiry and subsequent discussion)are precisely the widely misperceived causes of suffering. In simplest terms - doubt and the pursuit of correcting doubt about reality constitute suffering.
    edited March 2011
    The problem seems to lie with certain "western" converts
    This view is ignorant & not accurate (imo).

The scientific view of Buddhism is not Western.

When East and West met last century, the more enlightened Asian Buddhists saw the scienfific west as an ideal place to nurture the higher (scientific) Buddhist teachings.

Even the Dalai Lama was orignally like this.

But then, later, the gurus realised many Westerners were not interested in this pure approach.

The obsession with rebirth & reincarnation from studying & practising Buddhists is Western and not Eastern.

In Asia, rebirth & reincarnation are taught to the average man in the street but often not to serious students & practitioners.

Monks in monasteries in Asia chant everyday and, at least in Theravada countries, the chants which guide practise are not about rebirth & reincarnation.

The Buddha defined his pure core dhamma as scientific, that is, verifiable.

All the best

Praise for the Dhamma
    (LEADER):

Handa mayaṃ dhammābhithutiṃ karoma se:

Now let us give high praise to the Dhamma:

(ALL):

[Yo so svākkhāto] bhagavatā dhammo,

The Dhamma well-expounded by the Blessed One,

Sandiṭṭhiko akāliko ehipassiko,

to be seen here & now, timeless, inviting all to come & see,

Opanayiko paccattaṃ veditabbo viññūhi:

leading inward, to be seen by the wise for themselves:

Tam-ahaṃ dhammaṃ abhipūjayāmi,
    Tam-ahaṃ dhammaṃ sirasā namāmi.

I honour most highly that Dhamma,
    To that Dhamma I bow my head down.

:bowdown:

edited March 2011
    :banghead:
    Dude.

Best to bow your head to the Buddha-Dhamma, rather than bang your head with confusion & frustration about what Buddha-Dhamma is.

:bowdown:
  • edited March 2011
    your way ... your own ... others ... I seek ... others ... I have often ... I need ... I have judged ... Yet I have seen ... me ... I am seeing ... I can learn ... your own ... their own ... you ... Your ... you.......... I AM ... you .. I ... your

Good grief! :)
    No need to grief, tariki, or to feel misunderstood. Wisdom and confusion does not belong to anyone. I'd be happy to continue talk, but there are things to be done. ;)
  • your way ... your own ... others ... I seek ... others ... I have often ... I need ... I have judged ... Yet I have seen ... me ... I am seeing ... I can learn ... your own ... their own ... you ... Your ... you.......... I AM ... you .. I ... your

Good grief! :)
    No need to grief, tariki, or to feel misunderstood. Wisdom and confusion does not belong to anyone. I'd be happy to continue talk, but there are things to be done. ;)
    "good grief" as an ending was a dry joke, so misunderstood!

I'd be..........

• edited March 2011
    Dhamma Datu said......This view is ignorant & not accurate (imo).

The scientific view of Buddhism is not Western.

When East and West met last century, the more enlightened Asian Buddhists saw the scienfific west as an ideal place to nurture the higher (scientific) Buddhist teachings.

Even the Dalai Lama was orignally like this.

But then, later, the gurus realised many Westerners were not interested in this pure approach.

The obsession with rebirth & reincarnation from studying & practising Buddhists is Western and not Eastern.

In Asia, rebirth & reincarnation are taught to the average man in the street but often not to serious students & practitioners.

Monks in monasteries in Asia chant everyday and, at least in Theravada countries, the chants which guide practise are not about rebirth & reincarnation.

The Buddha defined his pure core dhamma as scientific, that is, verifiable.

Tariki responds......( careful not to say "I respond"....;) so as not to provide thecap with further ammunition!)

Dhamma Dhatu, regarding "western converts", by own "view" is based upon 10 years on Buddhist Forums and the comments and opinions passed by many, who appear to reject ANY expression of the Dharma not expressed in their own idioms. I spoke of CERTAIN people.

Obviously, just who are "more enlightened", what is "higher", who is or is not a true "guru", is again for each to determine. Personally I have no "obsession" with rebirth, but would not judge anyone who "believed" in such as not being a "serious practictioner", as you seem to imply.

I agree, the Buddha claimed his teaching as verifiable.

The Lord speaks with but one voice, but all beings, each according to his kind, gain understanding, each thinking that the Lord speaks his own language. This is a special quality of the Buddha. The Lord speaks with but one voice,but all beings, each according to his own ability, act upon it, and each derives his appropriate benefit. This is a special quality of the Buddha. (Vimalakirti Sutra)

Just as the nature of the earth is one
    While beings each live separately,
    And the earth has no thought of oneness or difference,
    So is the truth of all Buddhas.

Just as the ocean is one
    With millions of different waves,
    Yet the water is no different:
    So is the truth of all buddhas.

Just as the element earth, while one,
    Can produce various sprouts,
    yet it's not that the earth is diverse:
    So is the truth of all Buddhas. (Hua-Yen Sutra)

I bring fullness and satisfaction to the world,
    like rain that spreads its moisture everywhere.
    Eminent and lowly, superior and inferior,
    observers of precepts, violators of precepts,
    those fully endowed with proper demeanor,
    those not fully endowed,
    those of correct views, of erroneous views,
    of keen capacity, of dull capacity -
    I cause the Dharma rain to rain on all equally,
    never lax or neglectful.
    When all the various living beings
    hear my Law,
    they receive it according to their power,
    dwelling in their different environments.....
    ..The Law of the Buddhas
    is constantly of a single flavour,
    causing the many worlds
    to attainfull satisfaction everywhere;
    by practicing gradually and stage by stage,
    all beings can gain the fruits of the way. (The Lotus Sutra, Parable of the Dharma Rain)

So each according to their own.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    And how do you get that?
    realize the emptiness in all things, and practice non-attachment.
  • NOT AT ALL to me and I bet 99% of people. The actually translation is 'Dukkha' leads to suffering, if you look that up it's more in depth and makes more sense.
  • @Cran it's exactly how a doctor works:

1. You have a strep throat, caused by
    2. The streptococcus virus, so we have to
    3. Remove the virus, through
    4. A cycle of antibiotics.

Yes you have a sore throat, but you never did realize that it was strep throat. Buddha saw we are all afflicted, but due to the conditioning of our lives, we do not realize that we are suffering all the time.
    that is also how a proof works in geometry. the first few points of the proof are obvious, but they build on each other to show a greater truth.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    NOT AT ALL to me and I bet 99% of people. The actually translation is 'Dukkha' leads to suffering, if you look that up it's more in depth and makes more sense.
    Actually 'dukkha' means suffering, unsatisfactoriness, frustration, pain, etc... "craving" (based on ignorance) and attachment to an ever-changing reality is what leads to dukkha.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    One translation of "dukkha" is "impermanence", i.e. the impermanence that tends to lead to suffering in humans who haven't realized and accepted that impermanence is the name of the game in life. That came from Cran's second OP on the subject of the 4 Nobles.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    There are three types of dukkha, one of them being dukkha due to change. That would mean dukkha due to impermanence. If it's dukkha due to impermanence, then dukkha itself can't be the impermanence right?

Impermanence is Anicca, which is taught alongside Anatta/Not-Self and Dukkha/Suffering. They are three separate teachings, but are all facets of the human existence to be fully and directly understood.

Dukkha is any and all dissatisfaction with life, that which disturbs the mind because the mind clings to conditions or to the aggregates. So it can be pain, because you take the pain to be affecting "your body"; or it could be the loss of a loved one, because you were attached to having them around (a condition for your happiness was their presence); or it could be fearing death because you imagine this means annihilation of who you are (a core essence or self/soul).

There's finally the dukkha of conditioned states, such as the mind constantly changing due to skillful and unskillful karma... until finally all fetters are dropped (Nirvana) and this conditioning ceases, karma doesn't cause any more change, and the "unconditioned" becomes the state of peace without requirement.
  • Do I get a prize for initiating what appears to be the longest discussion for quite some time? (A discussion in which, I have to admit, I have long lost interest :vimp: )
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @cranreuch, Do you like cyber-cookies? It's all I have left, but here, have a cookie. :D
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    hmm...we might give you that. The Journey (no longer a member) had a thread that went through 6 pages in one evening (OK, he stayed up all night...). I think that's the record. Andn Joshua's Norwegian thread went surprisingly long, for such a specialized topic. But your topic is more Buddhistic. So yeah-- :clap:
    My interpretation I have been putting forward has been perfectly consistent.

I don't think you were being consistent with this comment, which I assume you based on that article you quoted from another forum:
    "Only sankhara-dukkhata is real dukkha".

Anyway I think we're agreeing with each other, which is rather nice. ;-)

P
    There are three types of dukkha, one of them being dukkha due to change. That would mean dukkha due to impermanence. If it's dukkha due to impermanence, then dukkha itself can't be the impermanence right?

Yes, that sounds right. Or you could say that while ignorance and clinging to the aggregates persist, we EXPERIENCE anicca as dukkha.

P
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Yeah that's what it is p. :)
    edited March 2011
    I don't think you were being consistent with this comment, which I assume you based on that article you quoted from another forum:
    "Only sankhara-dukkhata is real dukkha".
    I was being consistent because when i said the above I had said I had not studied the sutta is depth

when i said the above, i took sankhara-dukkhata to mean "attachment" and "dukkhata dukkha" to mean "pain" and the other one to mean "change"

i have been entirely consistent because, not been concerned about the meaning of Pali words, only SANKHARA is real dukkha, i.e., mental concocting

but is was you who were not consistent, when asserting Thanissaro's dodgy translation

if you ever accuse me of being inconsistent, then they will always be false

with metta

i have been entirely consistent because, not been concerned about the meaning of Pali words, only SANKHARA is real dukkha, i.e., mental concocting
    So you're saying that sankhara-dukkha is "mental concocting" and that this is the only "real" dukkha.
    Where are you getting these odd ideas from? I can't see any support for them in the sutttas.

P

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Clinging to anything that is not yours is causes suffering. Your body isn't yours. Your thoughts aren't yours. Your life isn't yours. Now the hardest thing for a lot of people to see: Your mind isn't yours. The "thing" that is conscious isn't you. 'You' will disappear. Everything is impermanent.

To be short, whole life is full of Dhukkha. Everything is not you, but you are clinging onto it as if it is. This causes mental suffering and that's why all debate about what is Dhukkha and what is not can be summarized: LIFE is dhukkha. This is what the Buddha said and this is what it means.

Now in theory this sounds easy, but those who fully faced it are enlightened and those who didn't are not. It's that simple, really.
  • Sure, it's pretty obvious. Understanding what it really means and its significance is the key.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @Sabre, Well said. We have to systematically detach from thinking of each of the aggregates as "I". I think the last thing to go is thinking that we are the awareness or consciousness, and that this has any existence independent of the aggregates. All forms of consciousness are dependently arisen, interdependent upon form and contact, and are not-self.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @Cloud, yes indeed that is important. But that is not the last thing, well maybe it is in a way, but self identity view is already the first fetter to be shattered. Those who shattered it seemingly know they are have no 'self' existence and that they will totally disappear one day. One would indeed expect this to be the last fetter to be broken, but strangely it isn't apparently. Because the self view fights back and clinging to existence is then still happening in the mind. It is the mind clinging to the world, onto sensual things, and indeed onto consciousness (lust for existence). (see suttas)

How this process comes to an end, I don't know but at least it is obvious what the Buddha ment: All life is Dukkha, even enjoying life is Dukkha. All other views of Dhukkha also imply nirvana to be some kind of heaven, which it isn't. Nirvana means literally to die out like the flame of a candle. This already says it better than other descriptions could. A seemingly endless cycle of lives has come to an end, the end of samsara at last.

So, no the first truth isn't that obvious. In fact it will be totally unobvious at first, but will be more obvious as right view develops.

Sabre :vimp:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @Sabre, Yeah it's really not anything special. We're just all caught up in ignorant ways of looking at reality, and so that's how we order our lives. It doesn't satisfy. Look at things the right way, let the mind settle, and see just how more peaceful it becomes when you see things clearly and accept it. ;) Look to "what was I before I was born?" as one good way to break the mind free. Try and see any permanent self coming into existence, independent of conditions and other matter transforming from one thing to another.
  • Just as a follow up. The Four Truths.

The First, to be understood.
    The Second, to be abandoned.
    The Third, to be realized.
    The fourth, to be developed/cultivated.

From the First Discourse of the Buddha.

You're in good hands, old friend.
    Sorry about the forums but there are other people to which conversation can be had.

Fundamentalist beliefs are a dime a dozen unfortunately.

Hope you're well wherever you are and whatever you are doing.
    Abu
    edited March 2011
    Sorry about the forums but there are other people to which conversation can be had.

Fundamentalist beliefs are a dime a dozen unfortunately.
    hi old friend Abu

Sounds like you dropped in to pass judgement on the world

Best to open our mind to learning rather than believe we know.

In Zen, this is called "our tea cup being full".

Gassho

:wave:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    >Isn't the first of the four noble truths just obvious?

People drink alcohol, do drugs, have sex and chase after money, all in order to find happiness. I would say it's definitely not obvious.
    Clinging to anything that is not yours is causes suffering. Your body isn't yours. Your thoughts aren't yours. Your life isn't yours. Now the hardest thing for a lot of people to see: Your mind isn't yours. The "thing" that is conscious isn't you. 'You' will disappear. Everything is impermanent.

Good explanation.

P
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I think this has run its course.
    If anyone has anything of substance or importance to add, regarding to the OP, be sure to let us know and we'll consider re-opening.
This discussion has been closed.