Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is the Great satisfaction in having real, meaningful conversation with people? whats your secret?

What do you find the most meaningful conversations are? Making fun of each other with subtext and metaphor analogies? Deep true thought ? Talking about specific things? or surfing?? lol

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Hi FreeofwantWdumean ,

Are you refering specifically to written interactions with others on the internet, or to offline face to face conversations as well ?

kind wishes,

D.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The most important aspect of any discussion is to LISTEN.
    If the discussion is serious, it helps in reading between the lines.
    If a discussion is flippant, you're focussing on the enjoyment of the other person.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Talking about deep things that we both care about and find very interesting. And then being honest with each other, and being able to actually listen, as well as talk.
  • @Dazzle I was mostly interested in face to face, a personal connection with a best friends or friend. Strangers even, I've met some interesting people briefly.
  • Talking about deep things that we both care about and find very interesting. And then being honest with each other, and being able to actually listen, as well as talk.
    I second this.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Talking about deep things that we both care about and find very interesting. And then being honest with each other, and being able to actually listen, as well as talk.
    I agree. The other part of the question was "What's your secret?" I've found that it's not so easy to find people one can get deep with.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    What do you find the most meaningful conversations are? Making fun of each other with subtext and metaphor analogies? Deep true thought ? Talking about specific things? or surfing?? lol
    I genuinley fail to see any distinction...;).

/Victorious
  • edited March 2011
    What I do? I go into interview mode. The point is to ask people what THEY think AND THEN adjust the conversation so it gets deeper and deeper into what they think. Don't exceed their boundaries of course. Just keep going that direction: interview. Not a superficial thing, but a CARING thing! Eventually I get labelled, "very interesting guy!" or "he's an intense person." Not the point but at least I know I'm having a positive effect. Watch for people's reactions!

Thing is you can't be a manipulative [insert mildly obscene expletive here] or a selfish dandy [insert another mildly obscene expletive here]! You have to be NATURALLY CARING person who treats the other person as the most fascinating thing going. Which they ARE by the way! Since _I_ KNOW what I am going to say, _I_ KNOW what I'm about. Give other people the chance to express themselves.

To be honest? I've spent a few years on a couch in a shrinks office. I needed help with your basic garden variety neurotic conflicts nothing "serious." From that I learned a lot about how to interview people and get them to challenge themselves.

It's fun. People ARE very interesting! Everybody has a story or a set of problems which are QUITE something to get a true sample of. If you do NOT think so? You just have to learn some new and better interviewing skills.

Oh..., and by the way..., be sure to develop the caring compassion and all that good intentioned stuff Buddhists talk about on those internet forums! (joking)

ANother thing: Assume YOU are NOT that interesting! T=Your mouth will stay shut more.