Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Middle Eastern Religions and why

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited December 2005 in Buddhism Today
There isn't a good place to put this so here it is. I have been thinking of middle eastern religions and how they have the effect on the planet and I am wondering why. DO Christians, Jews, and Muslims even know why they believe in these religions? Most Christians here in the states have no idea. They don't even know why that Jesus lived in the middle east. Every other belief system in the world has more than one god or goddess or no god at all. These people are so backwards and upside down. I don't see anyone saying we should belive in what some small tribe in the amazon believes in. Then why do people believe in something that comes form a bunch of people who live in a third world country? Are people just sheeple who don't any better? Maybe. I told osmeone once that I was Buddhist and they asked me why would I believe that being that I am not form the east. I asked him why he is Christain when he isn't form the Middle East. I got a very confused look. You thoughts.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    There isn't a good place to put this so here it is. I have been thinking of middle eastern religions and how they have the effect on the planet and I am wondering why. DO Christians, Jews, and Muslims even know why they believe in these religions? Most Christians here in the states have no idea. They don't even know why that Jesus lived in the middle east. Every other belief system in the world has more than one god or goddess or no god at all. These people are so backwards and upside down. I don't see anyone saying we should belive in what some small tribe in the amazon believes in. Then why do people believe in something that comes form a bunch of people who live in a third world country? Are people just sheeple who don't any better? Maybe. I told osmeone once that I was Buddhist and they asked me why would I believe that being that I am not form the east. I asked him why he is Christain when he isn't form the Middle East. I got a very confused look. You thoughts.

As Jerbear once said, there are a lot of people that just want their religion spoon-fed to them so that they don't have to think about it. They've got someone telling them what to think.

I think some people look at their religion and think, "Wow! This was created just for me ... today!" Not taking into consideration all the change that can take place in a religion in 2,000 or 2,500 years. All the changes in ritual, changes in initial teachings, etc. I mean, just look at Buddhism. What was it? 200, 300 years after Buddha's death, his followers decided to write down his teachings instead of using the oral tradition.

Look at how much things can change in 200 years! And Buddha was a man - no mysical properties - no divine ability to ensure his teachings wouldn't be tweaked or changed after his death.

I also find it odd to see images of Christ - nice brown hair, pale Nordic complexion, blue eyes... I mean, where did this guy come from? I don't think people in the middle-east look like this!?!?!

It's my experience, including my own family members, that some people don't know why they're in a religion. They're just doing what they've always been doing with a couple of vague ideas about why they're doing it.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I think that, for some people, the need for certainty obscures the analytical mind. In Pascal's terms, the intuitive overwhelms the mathematical. Coué would call these two imagination and will.