Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindfulness of the environment and a car analogy.

ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
edited March 2011 in Meditation
I was riding home the other day wondering about mindfulness of traffic, the engine, road surface, intentions and patterns in traffic. When you drive a car, you tend to zone out and rely on muscle memory and basic stimuli. The light turns green, your foot moves to the brake and you stop while you could be thinking of how bad your day at work was. If you ride a motorbike, you'll know you can't do that... you're scanning traffic around you, wondering if the guy on the phone knows you're in his blind spot, then you move out of the blind spot to make sure you're seen, you wonder if the car waiting to turn will run into you or whether a pedestrian might walk in front of you as you're riding through a traffic jam... the list goes on and on. A good rider is constantly alert and firmly planted in the present moment. (Yes, I see the contradiction in what I am saying.)

So the question part is... is mindfulness of external forces at all beneficial in the same way as mindfulness of the mind and body?

As for the analogy, I was listening to the engine and realised how well I know the engine's response. I know exactly how a gear change feels, how the brakes feel and how much traction I have with the surface. So, what of it? Well, it gives me a rough idea of the condition of my bike. If the gear changes don't feel right, I know I need to change the oil. If the engine starts differently, I know something is up with the spark plugs or the carburettor. I can feel if a tyre is going a bit flat. Aside from that, the seemingly chaotic movements of drivers are easily predictable. It's easy to see when someone is impatient or egoistic, so you know that they might change lanes without indicating, for example.

I couldn't help but make a parallel between awareness of your vehicle and awareness of mind and body. If you don't meditate you grow detached from how your mind responds to things, when something is wrong or what the problem might be. You might feel angry without even realising why, for example. You might lose the link between how your body responds to your thoughts and vice versa. However, if you pay attention and get to know what's going on, you're more likely to be able to notice when a problem might arise and prevent it from happening. When you meditate, you're like a familiar vehicle you know inside out. When you don't meditate, you're like a vehicle you don't understand, you're unaware that the rumbling noise shouldn't be there or that the tyres are flat.

So, is that an accurate analogy? Could it be used to explain meditation to beginners? Most people have a vehicle that they're really familiar with, so this should make sense to anyone, right? (Sorry, I am used to car analogies )

Comments

• Yes good analogy, I like it. But what are you finding in your meditation that is like knowing an engine? Is it like arisings in your mind and you extrapolate to an idea of yourself thats in the background. Like when your riding a car versus a bike you have different background ideas that condition behaviour. And even in a car you have moments when you snap to attention. So I think its an illustration of reality rather than the reality we experience. I hear a sound in my car too, but I don't know about engines or spark plugs. Except from this thread, and my knowledge not to drive if something really seems wrong and look for a tow or a mechanic.

As far as what meditation does for a vehicle experience, that is the question I first got from this. I was actually going to ask if the car was an analogy. No answer comes to me. Maybe that is like waiting to cross at a stop sign with cars passing by. Usually if its an abnormally long wait one would notice a little more than when your cruising in the same lane that you know will eventually turn you into the driveway or wherever.
  • edited March 2011
    Actually I find driving to be a lot like meditation--it requires one-pointedness of mind. I don't zone out and rely on muscle memory and stimuli. I stay focussed on the road in front of me, checking mirrors as needed, checking speed, scanning to see what the drivers around me are doing, etc. If my mind wanders, I bring it back to watching the road. "Zoning out" doesn't really sound safe.
  • Hmmmm

I started a thread on whether owning/driving a car is consistent with Buddhism or not.....so although I think the analogy has some merit, its one that I would tend to sway away from.

Maybe you are describing an awareness of change rather than mindfulness, per-se.
    For example, I may not be aware that my chain on my bike is "rough" until I clean it......then after de-greasing it...I notice that it is smooth.
  • For personal safety along the road is about destiny of the past, present and future. Meditation and charitable mind and actions are important for the well beings of yourself and others. As for part replacement, just follow the instruction manual and general experience of the workshop. Well, the best is dun drive/ride unless necessary. Take a cab or public transports and have a kit-kat :p
  • Jeffrey, I am a bit confused by your reply. I was just comparing mindfulness of your mind and body to the mindfulness of your environment. Gil Fronsdal has said that it doesn't matter what you sharpen your mindfulness and the breath is just a good reference point. So when you're driving and are paying full attention to the activity of driving, are you meditating? Also, I'd recommend you to service your own car and get to know the internals if you have the time for it. The shops charge an arm and a leg for things which would take you half an hour to do yourself. I tend to do minor servicing myself, but still take the bike to the shop once in a while for the more complicated stuff.
    "But what are you finding in your meditation that is like knowing an engine?"
    My breathing tells me a lot about my mental state, just like the sound of the engine tells me something about the engine. When the breathing is 'different' somehow, there's normally a reason behind it.

CW, yeah 'course there are good drivers. It's just that many drivers talk about being on 'autopilot' when driving. You can think about all sorts of things, then realise you're almost home already. 'course there are drivers who give full attention to their surroundings. However, in a car you have your air conditioner, music, a comfortable seat and a metal bubble which makes some people forget that they are in charge of a ton of speeding metal. It's more evident in some cities than others, so maybe you haven't seen much of what I am talking about.

Spock, the first few times I changed the oil, I only noticed the difference afterwards. The first time I tightened the chain, I only noticed the difference later. After a couple of times it's possible to see the signs that the oil needs changing and so on. At first I was acting on faith ("hey, it has been 3000kms, I should change the oil") without actually knowing that new oil will make the bike run smoother. With mindfulness, surely you have some faith that it's going to be beneficial, then you might start seeing some changes in your behaviour or way of thinking (you notice your chain is 'smoother'). Then you may develop a way of being able to tell when something isn't right. Normally when my mind doesn't settle, it's a sign that I am more tired than I think I am. When my breath isn't uniform, I am hiding anxiety. They are just little observations which let me know what's going on.

Disney, I do follow the instruction manual. :thumbsup:
  • Shiftplusone,

Yeah you explanation makes sense to me. If I have time I will review what was said and try to gage? Where we were coming from. The problem with fixing your own car is that you have to start and finish!
  • The tools to fix cars also cost a lot of money. And time to accumulate. Its part of the economy. I hope to get engaged with the economy by doing volunteer work, but for part of my sustenance I am 'on the dole' of public assistance.