Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Article: Wandering Mind Leads to Unhappiness

edited March 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I came across this article and I loved it. I figured you guys would be interested so here ya go

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/science/16tier.html?_r=1&ref=sociology

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Well, I'm going to throw down a gauntlet and say that this only paints part of the picture. For some people, especially those whose livelihood depends on creative pursuits, down time--when the mind is allowed to wander or go blank-- is some of their most creative and productive time, mentally, intellectually. Artists, writers, even scientists need time to just stare at the walls or walk in nature with unfocussed minds in order to produce their best ideas. Einstein came up with his scientific puzzle-solutions during intuitive hits when his mind was free. I don't doubt the results of this study, and intensely focussed time is also rewarding. The article is a good validation of Buddhist theory and practice. But it leaves out the other side of the coin. (Thanks, clearview, for a good article.)
  • edited March 2011
    Well, I'm going to throw down a gauntlet and say that this only paints part of the picture. For some people, especially those whose livelihood depends on creative pursuits, down time--when the mind is allowed to wander or go blank-- is some of their most creative and productive time, mentally, intellectually. Artists, writers, even scientists need time to just stare at the walls or walk in nature with unfocussed minds in order to produce their best ideas. Einstein came up with his scientific puzzle-solutions during intuitive hits when his mind was free. I don't doubt the results of this study, and intensely focussed time is also rewarding. The article is a good validation of Buddhist theory and practice. But it leaves out the other side of the coin. (Thanks, clearview, for a good article.)
    Great point warrior. I actually thought this myself too. Ironically enough, my wandering mind and obsessive behavior is what lead me to discover buddhism and meditation over the internet. I knew something wasn't right with my state of mind and I couldn't lay a finger on it. I was feeling depressed and my thoughts were eating me alive with negativity. Many of my greatest insights have been due to a wandering mind and marijuana. I thought very philosophically and it gave me a new perspective to view myself from. Weed made me incredibly introspective. I would just think and think and think and think. I no longer smoke, but I can say if it weren't for weed I wouldn't have ever found buddhism and I have no idea what the hell I would've done.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    That's an amazing testimony, clearview. So...is your name (clearview) indicative of your new perspective? ^_^ Congratulations on turning over a new leaf...um...I mean...no pun intended. :D