Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Aching back.

edited March 2011 in Meditation
Whenever i try and meditate i sit cross legged and sit up straight. About 5 minutes into meditation my upper back starts to ache and steadily grows worse. I also feel this way at work while I'm sitting at my desk. Should i continue to sit this way and hope that my upper back muscles grow stronger or is this something else?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    There's no requirement to sit a certain way. If no one comes up with a way for you to fix it so that it doesn't hurt, I'd say abandon that posture and find another one.
  • i used to meditate laying down. whatever works for you. just make sure you don't fall asleep. but hey that's a gift as well. some people have sleep problems.

or you can just watch your pain. lol
  • You could meditate for 5 minutes and then lay down or some other posture that doesn't hurt.
  • A comfortable chair is entirely acceptable as long as you don't fall asleep. At work too. Are you unconsciously "hunching" that part of your back at work and while doing meditation, though?
  • Is a very great posture for your meditation. Your upper body ought to relax and comfortable.
  • Whenever i try and meditate i sit cross legged and sit up straight. About 5 minutes into meditation my upper back starts to ache and steadily grows worse. I also feel this way at work while I'm sitting at my desk. Should i continue to sit this way and hope that my upper back muscles grow stronger or is this something else?
    I have a bad *lower* back and I've been gradually working on posture to help me meditate longer in a crosslegged position (Burmese only for now). Every day I try a minute longer crosslegged, then finish off in a chair.

But the fact you're sore even when sitting at work suggests a postural issue that needs fixing. What do you do at work -- computer operations?

• My prior reply was confusing. I tried to edit but it wouldn't let me. Here's what I was really trying to say:
    Whenever i try and meditate i sit cross legged and sit up straight. About 5 minutes into meditation my upper back starts to ache and steadily grows worse. I also feel this way at work while I'm sitting at my desk. Should i continue to sit this way and hope that my upper back muscles grow stronger or is this something else?
    I get pain in my *lower* back, but it's busted up with disc problems. So with doc's approval, I know I can just push through the pain. So I split my meditation into a crosslegged (Burmese) part, followed by a sitting-in-a-regular-chair part. I'm gradually trying to increase the total time, and to increase the time I spend on the cushion versus the chair. At the moment it's about 15 minutes in each, with 1 minute of kinhin between, to help get rid of pins and needles (I start with the crosslegged session).

But in your case, the fact that it's *upper* back and that you're sore even when sitting at work suggests a possible postural issue that you should attend to -- i.e. don't just push through that pain. What do you do at work -- computer operations?
  • I had the same problems until I started using this seat which I made myself.You may increase the height to suit your comfort.
  • edited March 2011
    I gotta run. Lemme say this quickly: STRETCHING! Go find the four or five lower back stretching exercises. Seriously. Not that you have chronic back pain - but if people did this kind of stretching routinely the cases of chronic back pain would drop enormously! Back muscles are the most delicate and easiest to mess up. Wishing you well.
  • Do some crunches. I used to have sciatica, but all gone now just because I do 30 crunches every other day. Small price to pay to be pain free. Having stronger ab and lower back muscles will help support your back.
  • edited March 2011
    Do some crunches. I used to have sciatica, but all gone now just because I do 30 crunches every other day. Small price to pay to be pain free. Having stronger ab and lower back muscles will help support your back.
    With all due respect and kindness, still-learning. It does depend on your age. If you do crunches when you're older and a little out of shape you can REALLY mess up your back. Not to reiterate and be annoying but: stretching does a world of good. Stiff back muscles means they are injured and swollen, stretching them improves circulation and promotes healing. I learned the hard way: the back muscles are tricky little sukkers. FWIW. Crunching? DEFINITELY is a good thing, my bet is if you can do crunches without hurting your back that means your back is in good shape. Please note: it can take a week to realize you've been hurting your back, then? It comes at you like a pitbull. Younger is definitely better back maintenance-wise.
  • No biggie. I'm just throwing another option out there.

I've actually tried some yoga stretches before and those did help my back. Later I found out that crunches gave me faster results.