Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Japan 8.9 Earthquake

B5CB5C Veteran
edited March 2011 in Buddhism Today

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Yeah I've been watching this on the news. It's like the second biggest quake in decades or something. It's a good thing it didn't hit in the center of a city or anything, more off to the side... (off the coast). Sad indeed.
  • Watching it makes me feel like Los Angeles is next. Better get my earthquake kit ready.
  • I've just watched some of the tragic scenes on the news, my thoughts go to all those affected, so sad.

Metta to all sentient beings.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah..., very tough to see those unfortunate people; just fine one minute and totally in trouble the next.

Awful to see aerial views of that water steamrolling mercilessly through people's livelihoods. I saw it just drive into what seemed to be green houses and nicely rowed fields. What a shame. Close by were cars on the rural roads, they seemed calm and driving along casually, like they didn't know a wall of water was yards away. WOW.
  • http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_earthquake

A sad day for the people of Japan.
    I would say it is a sad day for all of us. Japan is an earthquake zone. We have carved up the planet and forced 100 million Japanese to live within fix territorial borders in a dangerous earthquake zone. And now we lament their suffering instead of feeling guilty for causing them pain.
  • At the risk of sounding superficial, does anyone know as yet where I could donate to directly help the poor folks there who will ultimately be in "dire straits" because of this? I know it's early yet(given that it only happened yesterday U.S. time), but I was wondering. I'd rather not make a generic donation which may or may not reach these folks. Any ideas?
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    oh god, has anyone heard anything of Nagoya specifically? i'm having trouble finding any information online. i have some family out there :(
    i feel sick...
  • Watch the news, and keep researching on the internet, ZG. Have you tried phoning them? If they have a cell phone, that could work. Best wishes.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Wikipedia has an outstanding summary of what's happening: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Sendai_earthquake
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    gah, everything's fine. i talked to my aunt, whom had already contacted everyone.

i worked late last night and just woke up to find out about it on this board! sorry for the little freak out moment. it's still very sad though.
  • You're entitled to a freak-out moment under these circumstances, ZG. We're glad everyone is your family's ok.
  • http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_earthquake

A sad day for the people of Japan.
    I would say it is a sad day for all of us. Japan is an earthquake zone. We have carved up the planet and forced 100 million Japanese to live within fix territorial borders in a dangerous earthquake zone. And now we lament their suffering instead of feeling guilty for causing them pain.
    the Japanese chosed to leave in almost complete isolation. they aren't living there because they were moved from other places.

I think, the problem was that the Japanese may be more prepared for earthquakes than tsunamis. what may happen eventually is that sea cities are developed that can withstand tsunamis and earthquakes (since the Japanese are very inventive; they were the first to make floating airports)... I don't know.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I listen to the news for updates and my heart goes out to these people...

There are such contradictions though....
    On the one hand we have reports of tragedy after tragedy, as we watch the planet wreak havoc with conditions brought about by.... what....? Global warming? Sun flares? The natural evolutionary progress of a fragile lump of earth orbiting a ball of flaming gas.....?
    Earthquakes, floods, volcanic eruptions, tornadoes, mudslides, tsunamis... all happening with alarming and increasing frequency...

On the other hand, we have unrest in the Middle East with the spotlight currently on Libya, where thousands are being beaten, tortured and killed through the wishes of an ageing despot delusionally clinging by his elderly fingernails to a hollow and archaic power.......

And in the midst of all this human suffering and chaos, some - arguably, most - of it caused by Human Ignorance - all we can do is sit, meditate, be calm and still, and wait as things roll inexorably on..

Metta to all beings.
  • More of my insufficient two cents:

I learned my lesson from the Northridge, CA quake a while ago. My friend lived there at the time and told me there were dozens and dozens of TV trucks parked outside the ONE parking garage that collapsed. She told me the rest of Northridge was nearly untouched (i.e. no big time damage).

Meanwhile, when I was watching the coverage I feared everybody including my friend and her family had been killed because the entire city had been destroyed!

My Point: I learned in that instance NEVER to believe those news stories, not even the "responsible journalists," they are ALWAYS exaggerated.

Would be fine if they donated a portion of their windfall cashing-in-on advertising profits resulting from extreme intentional HYPE-IFICATION to the people who actually experienced the tragedy.

Oops! Sorry for getting a bit negative and frustrated here.

BTW, Thank "god" the Japanese people have a good GNP and can help themselves to a good extent. Haiti? Indonesian Tsunami victims? Whole nother story. :-/
  • edited March 2011
    My friend lived there at the time and told me there were dozens and dozens of TV trucks parked outside the ONE parking garage that collapsed. She told me the rest of Northridge was nearly untouched

Meanwhile, when I was watching the coverage I feared everybody including my friend and her family had been killed because the entire city had been destroyed!
    LOL!!! :lol::lol:
    That's sensationalism for you--gotta sell those newspapers, attract TV viewers for the advertisers! Capitalism, first--humanity, second or third. :(