Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Theravada & Mahayana Buddhism: Differences & Similarities

DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
edited March 2011 in Faith & Religion

Comments

• It might be useful to have a Mahayanist now, explaining from their pov. Listening to the above, it is clear that the speaker is 'spinning' which is, I suppose, almost inevitable when a person believes that they are 'right', thus making others 'wrong' or 'deluded'. The fact is that neither modern Theravada nor contemporary Mahayana can justifiably claim to be precise reflections of practice and belief at the time of the Buddha Shakyamuni's life, any more than any single Christian tradition can claim to be 'original'.
  • Why do you say he was spinning? Also, if you say that neither Theravada nor Mahayana is a faithful transmission of the Buddha's teaching, then what are we messing with in this forum?
  • False dichotomy, yiming. Although there have almost certainly been corruptions and embellishments, it doesn't follow that the teachings are useless.
  • The differences between the two schools are pretty superficial. You could say most Mahayana emphasizes morality first, whereas at least some Theravada emphasizes insight first. And Mahayana has more mythic language associated with it, and attachment to that leaves slightly more room for confusion and egotistical fascination with attainments. (But only slightly more. There are plenty of confused, egotistical Theravadins out there. :)) But most of the distinctions people argue about make no difference in the practice of a Mahayanaist vs a Theravadin.

There doesn't seem to be a clean copy of it to link to, but anyone interested in this question might get something from Ajahn Brahm's talk "Which Yana? Hahayana!"
  • Why do you say he was spinning? Also, if you say that neither Theravada nor Mahayana is a faithful transmission of the Buddha's teaching, then what are we messing with in this forum?
    The speaker in the video is clearly a Theravadin and, as such, presents his tradition as the 'correct' transmission of the Shakyamuni's message. I have nothing against this, although I think that it would be more honest for him to announce jis bias at the outset. Again to compare with Christianity, it is as if a Calvinist were describing Catholicism (or vice versa): the former believes that the message was given 'once and for all' and cannot be added to, whereas the latter believes in ongoing revelation and understanding.

I don't think that we are "messing with" anything here or in our practice. What many of us have come to understand is that, whilst the Pali Canon may indeed be the earliest written Buddhist texts and may be as close as we shall get to the Buddha's own words, it suffers from a few problems not least of which are that it was written long after the event and is not even in the language spoken by the Buddha and is thus, itself, a translation with all the room for error that is implied.

Whilst I agree, @Fivebells, that there may be little difference between Theravadina and some Mahayanists, we must surely acknowledge that there are some traditions which are very different. Pure Land is one clear example. The practice of 'empowerments' in the Tibetan traditions is another.

For the newcomer, it can be very confusing and I am not sure that the video (above) really addresses the fundamental difference, although it is mentioned in a way that I deem 'spinning': the the Great Vehicle includes sutras, treatises and other writings which are ignored by Theravadins, writings that define the Dharma in very different ways from theirs.

For many of us, Westerners, brought up with the notion of evolution and progress, the idea that understanding and exposition, together with new insights, continued after the Buddha's death is one which makes sense to us, particularly if we have been thouroughly turned off by ideas of textual "inerrancy".

• Having been a long-term offline Tibetan Buddhist practitioner who eventually came to prefer the offline Theravada Thai Forest tradition, I disagree that the differences between the schools are superficial.
  • edited March 2011
    It is easy to criticise a monk who while explaining has to walk a tightrope. But what is real can't be revealed by superiority, originality or even diplomacy. Only through honest-heartedness and studying the ancient sources. :)
  • On a practical level, they all come down to morality, concentration and insight, and the practices for these three teachings are basically the same. The differences most people argue about a matter of emphasis, theloogy or ideology which doesn't have much impact on actual practice.
  • edited March 2011
    matter of emphasis, theloogy or ideology which doesn't have much impact on actual practice.
    In the beginning of practise, emphasis, goals and ideas do not have much impact on direct experience. But the profound it gets, the more emphasis impinges.
  • How?
  • edited March 2011

In the beginning of practise, emphasis, goals and ideas do not have much impact on direct experience. But the profound it gets, the more emphasis impinges.
    How?
    Isn't the goal of the advanced Vajrayana practices to raise the Kundalini/Inner Fire? That's radically different from meditation in other traditions, isn't it? And sometimes consorts are used for that purpose. Radically different.

• "Isn't the goal of the advanced Vajrayana practices to raise the Kundalini/Inner Fire? That's radically different from meditation in other traditions, isn't it? And sometimes consorts are used for that purpose. Radically different."

What is your source for this?
  • What is your source for this?
    This isn't fairly common knowledge? Almost any source that discusses the whole of Tibetan Buddhism. "Tibetan Buddhism", by Waddell, for one. HHDL is quoted by Judith Simmer-Brown, in her book on tantric Buddhism, as saying, "In order to develop inner heat (tummo), under certain circumstances and conditions, one should rely on a female consort as one's assistant." One doesn't always use a consort; often visualizations of tantric union are substituted for "live" practice. That's what the esoteric level of the Kalachakra, Hevajra, Chakrasamvara and other advanced tantras are about.

• edited March 2011
    How?
    For example, someone is practising meditation of any kind. In the beginning, all they can do is calm the mind. When the mind is calm and deprived of sensory deluge, it may fabricate things. When it fabricates things, the emphasis of the teachings one has received previously takes effect; be it deity worship or just sitting, analytical reviewing or becoming nuts, or whatever. The aspiration is one's destination. :crazy: :wtf:
  • CW- my understanding of Tantric Buddhist practices is visualization of oneself as the deity, rather than what you describe above. But it's the same distance from Theravada, so it's a moot point. Tum-mo is one of many "advanced meditative practices", but since I have no initiations into those advanced practices, I guess I can't really take issue with what you say. IMHO I doubt that raising the energy in the way you describe is the end-point, but I don't know enough to specifically take issue with what you say.
  • edited March 2011
    Oh. Sorry, SD. But you must've come across Tibetan tantric art (thankas and statuary) over the years, depicting deities in union with their consort? Experiencing the bliss state and (they say) non-duality by generating the Inner Fire is what that's about.
  • (I know this is off- topic...)

What I'm saying is that that is one aspect of Vajrayana, but not the final objective as you assert. It's just part of it.

But again, same distance from Theravada. I guess if neither one of us has initiation into advanced tantric practices, neither one of us knows what the objective of those practices is (nor would we tell). But I am familiar with that aspect of Tibetan iconography. I was at the Kalachakra Initiation in Santa Monica in 1991 and there was a huge thanka of Kalachakra with consort like you describe.
  • (I know this is off- topic...)

What I'm saying is that that is one aspect of Vajrayana, but not the final objective as you assert. It's just part of it.
    Well, right, it's part of it. (I don't think this is off-topic, since it's discussing a difference between Mahayana and Theravada.) There's also the Bodhisattva path, which, needless to say, is fundamental. Also unique to Mahayana.

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2011
    When the mind is calm and deprived of sensory deluge, it may fabricate things. When it fabricates things, the emphasis of the teachings one has received previously takes effect; be it deity worship or just sitting, analytical reviewing or becoming nuts, or whatever. The aspiration is one's destination.
    Once the mind is calmed through concentration practice, insight practice begins. The insight practices all have the same goal, the end of suffering, and they all develop the same basic process. Whether it's the Theravadin practice of noting sensations from the six sense doors or the Tantric practice of deity visualization, the point is disidentification from the five skandhas by attending to the constituent sensations. Deity visualization cultivates disidentification from a self-concept by making the construction of the self-concept explicitly conscious, forcing the practitioner to observe the sensations which go into the construction. But the Theravadin practitioner will naturally go through the same process as their insight deepens and they sensations comprising the self-concept come to conscious awareness. It's essentially the same process, just a different emphasis.
  • Thanks, 5bells. Very informative.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2011
    There's also the Bodhisattva path, which, needless to say, is fundamental. Also unique to Mahayana.
    Not sure what you mean by path, here, but I hope it fits with this:
    There is a wide-spread belief, particularly in the West, that the ideal of the Theravada, which they conveniently identify with Hinayana, is to become an Arahant while that of the Mahayana is to become a Bodhisattva and finally to attain the state of a Buddha. It must be categorically stated that this is incorrect. This idea was spread by some early Orientalists at a time when Buddhist studies were beginning in the West, and the others who followed them accepted it without taking the trouble to go into the problem by examining the texts and living traditions in Buddhist countries. But the fact is that both the Theravada and the Mahayana unanimously accept the Bodhisattva ideal as the highest.
  • This is interesting, 5bells. Doesn't the monk in the film say that the step prior to Buddhahood is the arhat, for Theravadins? Where did you get the above quote, if I may ask?
  • Follow the link at the start of the quoted text.
  • edited March 2011
    The text says that a Buddha and an arhat are the same thing; when one attains Buddhahood, one becomes an arhat. It says bodhisattva is a step before arhat/Buddha. I've never heard that before. Can we get some other opinions on this?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I don't think Bodhisattva has any level of enlightenment necessarily associated with it. It means one who is committed to the awakening of all others, and it is that drive/goal that is admired.

To me an Arahant and a Buddha only differ in the fact that a Buddha teaches the Dharma when there's no such teaching in known existence/memory. A Buddha is an Arahant that has no master, has come to an awakened state of liberation on his own. An Arahant comes to the same liberation, but he has one or more masters, the Buddha at least (as the source of the Dharma teachings) and possibly a personal teacher/guru as well.

Regardless of having a teacher or not, the result is the same. That is why even in a Buddha-era where a Buddha is known and has taught, those who come to awakening without ever hearing his teachings are called Private Buddhas. They are self-awakened, but do not teach, or at least do not bring any new knowledge to the world since the teachings already exist somewhere.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2011
    The speaker in the video is clearly a Theravadin and, as such, presents his tradition as the 'correct' transmission of the Shakyamuni's message. I have nothing against this, although I think that it would be more honest for him to announce jis bias at the outset.
    If he's "clearly a Theravadin," isn't "announcing his bias" a bit redundant? Just saying.
  • edited March 2011
    Since none here have pointed out the fundamental difference between the two schools of Buddhism, may I offer my view which I had gotten somewhere I can't remember.

Therevada teaches gradual enlightenment through practice while Mahayana teaches instantaneous enlightenment.

The Mahayana argument is that awakening from ignorance is sudden and much like the arousal from sleep. There is no intermediate stage between the sleep state and the awakened state. The Theravadin, who tells himself that he is ignorant now but with practise he will eventually become enlightened, is fooling himself.

Any comments?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @yiming, There's only conditions. Whether a mind wakes up quickly or slowly depends on individual circumstances and effort to understand the nature of reality.
  • Mahayana offers both options. Instant awakening via tantric practice is considered dangerous, and not for everyone.
  • Cloud, surely the understanding of reality is instantaneous. One may have spent ten years studying the puzzle of life but the realization of the truth is not an incremental process of ten years. It isn't a case of practice makes perfect.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @yiming, We don't see all the pieces at the same time, we come to direct experience (insights) that lead to deeper and deeper realizations about our reality. In Theravada there are 4 stages of enlightenment, in Mahayana there are 10 bhumis, in Zen there are many satoris. There's no "instantaneous" complete and utter enlightenment to be found. Everything we do is a process, a conditioned process. Understanding that is part of the key to actually getting anywhere on this path. :)

A lot of conditioning with ignorance as a factor led us to this state of suffering, a lot of conditioning with wisdom as a factor (at least wise/skillful karma as taught to us through the teachings) leads us toward Nirvana. It depends entirely on the individual circumstances how "quickly" one will see the truth and become unfettered, but even then the mind unravels this delusional reality step by step. Everything is a process.
  • the way it was explained to me by monks, and i don't know how factual this is, there were two languages common to the buddha, the brahman or high caste language only spoken by the high caste which was a written language using the sanskrit alphabet, then there was the common language used by all the castes which had no alphabet or written form which is pali,

the buddha, trying to be a man of the people, not a high fallooting brahman speaking sanskrit, spoke in the common pali tongue, the scriptures were chanted by the monks in pali, and certain genius monks with incredible memory led the prayers, i don't know if you know this but there are literally thousands of muslims who have memorized the entire koran, so the idea of memorizing volumes of buddhist scriptures is entirely plausible,

sometime around 300 AD the monks in present day burma decided it wasn't reliable to fully trust this person to person memorization of the scriptures and had it written down using southeast asian alphabets, but still phonetically the same pali language from india.the monks in burma speak burmese, but they learn the scriptures in pali, an entirely different language.the prayers are not translated into the local languages, but preserved in the buddhas tongue pali, mahayana prayers are mostly translated into the local language, like tibetan, though

the buddha himself even made some statement that he didn't need sanskrit at all and could explain everything in pali, because of this statement the therevada schools refuse to believe any of the sanskrit scriptures are the actual writings or words of the buddha but rather from his early followers.

the mahayana believe in all of the pali cannon, i think, but also believe that late in his life, maybe in his 50s or 60s the buddha started writing or having written down in sanskrit some of his more advanced teachings, even to the mahayana the pali cannon (188volumes??) is still the earlier basic teachings, and all the sanskrit writings a later, or more advanced teaching, most of which was written by followers not the buddha, however the mahayana argue that core teachings were written down in sanskrit during the buddhas lifetime and survive basically unaltered today.

also the therevada argue that so many thousands upon thousands of monks were involved in memorizing and chanting the scriptures that virtually no words were changed, before they were written down 300 or 400 ad, thats why when you chant the pali scriptures in thailand you are using the same language and meaning as the buddha spoke 2500 yrs ago, albeit in a thai accent!
  • edited March 2011
    Isn't the goal of the advanced Vajrayana practices to raise the Kundalini/Inner Fire? That's radically different from meditation in other traditions, isn't it? And sometimes consorts are used for that purpose. Radically different.
    Can I ask if you're an offline Tibetan Buddhist practitioner with a teacher, CW, or are you just getting it all from books and the internet?

• edited March 2011
    The reason why I ask is because I was involved with Vajrayana for most of my life and apart from stories of long past lineage teachers with consorts from centuries ago cropping up occasionally, I never heard of actual consorts being "used" as a teaching. Possibly because most of the teachers were monks!
  • i think getting into tibetan buddhism for tantric sex orgies....... your going to be in for a big dissapointment
    The speaker in the video is clearly a Theravadin and, as such, presents his tradition as the 'correct' transmission of the Shakyamuni's message. I have nothing against this, although I think that it would be more honest for him to announce jis bias at the outset.
    If he's "clearly a Theravadin," isn't "announcing his bias" a bit redundant? Just saying.
    I also just want to point out that most Theravadins I know don't speak about Mahayana that way. In fact, Phra Vuttichai, one of Ajahn Jumnien's senior monks living in the US, came to my local Buddhist centre and gave a six hour Dhamma talk. During that talk, he explained how Theravada was in Mahayana and vice versa. Not in an antagonistic way, but in a way that made sense and made the difference seem miniscule. (If they ever put it online, I'll post a link. But as it is, they haven't put up the talks from last year, so it may be quite a wait.) At any rate, I think DD was just stirring the pot with this one, and I don't think we should make a big deal out of it.
  • Doesn't this all show that there are real differences in belief and practice between Theravadins and Mahayanists. Some are closer to each other in the peacock's tail of different Buddhist traditions and, as the OP video points out, all term themselves "Buddhist". All have the same basic aim of the ending of dukkha.

If there is one thing that has convinced me that all of these schools, along with all the faiths and belief systems are right, wrong, neither right nor wrong, both right and wrong, and none of the foregoing, is best summed up by some words I read recently. Commenting on his conversation with HHDL, Brother David writes:
    "Thus, belief in Creation and belief in Interdependent Arising are two different expressions of one and the same underlying faith - two different pointers toward the same experience." (Deeper Than Words</I.)

The same, he maintains, can be said of all beliefs, making a clear distinction from what he calls 'faith'. Beliefs point us towards that 'faith' but are not identical with it.

Beliefs and practices are, indeed, @Cloud, all process but, as Sitwell says, "All, in the end, is harvest."

Doesn't this all show that there are real differences in belief and practice between Theravadins and Mahayanists. Some are closer to each other in the peacock's tail of different Buddhist traditions and, as the OP video points out, all term themselves "Buddhist". All have the same basic aim of the ending of dukkha.
    Sure. And brown eyes are different from blue eye, but they both see equally as well.
  • edited March 2011
    There is no doubt however that Vajrayana promotes itself as the superior fast path in comparison to Mahayana and "Hinayana"... a pejorative term which some teachers still use to describe Theravada.

• Re my previous message - I can find references to illustrate my point if anyone wants them.
  • Sure. And brown eyes are different from blue eye, but they both see equally as well.
    ...and work in fundamentally the same way.

• i think the point i was trying to make is they are 80-90% the same as they both base the core of their beliefs on the pali canon, even if the mahayana follow sanskrit scriptures based on the pali canon, practises may be quite different, just like with catholics versus protestant, and specific teachings may be more emphasized in one than the other, but statements like "mahayana believe in reincarnation, therevada do not" are utter rubbish, Mahayana and therevada are probably more similar than catholic and protestant, and to get the idea "i'm therevada so i ignore everything the dalai lama says" or "im mahayana, therevada is just a lesser vehicle" are equally ignorant
  • Any comments?
    Hi yiming

Better than to imagine 'becoming enlightened' is the unbecoming of ignorance, and healthier than instant awakening noodles is an insight/letting-go feedback loop salad. Thus ideas of graduality and instantaneity sound not helpful to me. If I were you I'd imagine it as a process.

:)

edited March 2011
    There is no doubt however that Vajrayana promotes itself as the superior fast path in comparison to Mahayana and "Hinayana"... a pejorative term which some teachers still use to describe Theravada.
    Some perhaps. But not every Vajrayana practitioner uses this term, or if they do, not it in a pejorative fashion. Many Theravadins also used this term until relatively recently. I guess I just find such broad generalizations more divisive than helpful, and I wish they weren't kept alive by such well-meaning Buddhists, as I'm sure we have here. I don't think it does us any good. I had a Vajrayana teacher in the Sakya tradition once, and she certainly never spoke like this.
  • edited March 2011

Some perhaps. But not every Vajrayana practitioner uses this term, or if they do, not it in a pejorative fashion......... I had a Vajrayana teacher in the Sakya tradition once, and she certainly never spoke like this.
    Sure, but some teachers do Jason - and in my view its burying one's head in the sand to pretend it doesn't exist at all and that everything is sugar hearts and roses in Buddhism today.

• Better than to imagine 'becoming enlightened' is the unbecoming of ignorance, and healthier than instant awakening noodles is an insight/letting-go feedback loop salad. Thus ideas of graduality and instantaneity sound not helpful to me. If I were you I'd imagine it as a process.

:)

Ok, cap. Explain to me this process then.
  • edited March 2011
    Explain to me this process then.
    No problem. Actualize what is there, prevalent in the six sense doors, and let it go via the breath. That way there will be no need for gradual, non-gradual, instant or non-instant expectation, but only this life-process unfolding itself.
  • Hey cap, does your process work? If it does, how is it working for you in getting to the bottom of what life is all about?
  • Hi yiming. Yes, it works, after all it is just dumbed-down anapanasati :nyah: . What is life all about for you?
  • Well, I asked first. If your process works then you are enlightened and able to answer my questions about life.

To answer your question, life is all about me and how I see myself as a human person living among other people on the planet Earth. There is no freedom. I have no say in how I want to live my life; not here in this forum controlled by moderators nor out there beyond the web controlled by dictators. Life sucks.

Now, tell me something I don't know. I want to find out whether you are a false prophet, a wolf in sheep's clothing, a bad teacher or the historical Buddha.