Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Secrets of Heaven & Hell

edited March 2011 in Arts & Writings
Saw a thread about going 2 Hell but couldn't add to it :)

So here is something I found a while back -

The old monk sat by the side of the road. With his eyes closed, his legs crossed and his hands folded in his lap, he sat. In deep meditation he sat.

Suddenly his zazen was interrupted by the harsh and demanding voice of a samurai warrior. "Old man! Teach me about heaven and hell!"

At first, as though he had not heard, there was no perceptible response from the monk. But gradually he began to open his eyes, the faintest hint of a smile playing around the corners of his mouth as the samurai stood there, waiting impatiently, growing more and more agitated with each passing second.

"You wish to know the secrets of heaven and hell?" replied the monk at last. "You who are so unkempt. You whose hands and feet are covered with dirt. You whose hair is uncombed, whose breath is foul, whose sword is all rusty and neglected. You who are ugly and whose mother dresses you funny. You would ask me of heaven and hell?"

The samurai uttered a vile curse. He drew his sword and raised it high over his head. His face turned to crimson, and the veins of his neck stood out in bold relief as he prepared to sever the monk's head from its shoulders.

"That is hell," said the old monk gently, just as the sword began its descent.

In that fraction of a second, the samurai was overcome with amazement, awe, compassion and love for this gentle being who had dared to risk his very life to give him such a teaching. He stopped his sword in mid-flight and his eyes filled with grateful tears.

"And that," said the monk, "is heaven."

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have moved this to Arts and Writings. Nice thread for posting inspirational and thought-provoking tales....

Thanks..... :)
  • Good telling I was enjoying the story and the last part made me think.. I once had a dream with wise people in it. Three of them well there may have been more, but three talked to me. One was energetic and authoritative. He said that only 1 of me was here. Then there was one who was stately, but told me teachings which I don't remember. Next was one who was kind of scruffy, and he said it wasn't in his power, but said I would have something to take with me.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Good story to show that it is the mind that creates these :)
  • I have moved this to Arts and Writings. Nice thread for posting inspirational and thought-provoking tales....

Thanks..... :)
    Federica, I was the monk who "risked my life" to give you a teaching in that Dalai Lama thread. We never got to the heaven part. The thread was closed as your samurai sword descended.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    What's your point? and would it be better made via PM?