Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist learning about Christianity...

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited March 2011 in Faith & Religion
I feel a hesitation about reading authors and texts on buddhism, because I am worried it will further divide me from my christian brothers. Seriously I am seeing the wish that there could be more understanding. Specifically I am wondering how people handle their emotions in an office setting with ideas about their faith?

Any word on how to handle this? I am pensive about a volunteer opportunity.

I am not sure what I really want. I am kind of a jekly and Hyde personality in my ability to process thought. So reading a thick book is not an option probably.

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Why don't you do what I did, start by reading information from websites like http://www.buddhanet.net ? It's usually more "general" information and tends to be less biased than books by individual authors, as that site isn't about one tradition or another.
  • Jeffrey, I don't see a problem. Why would religious preference be discussed in an office setting? Are you one of those members who lives in the Bible Belt, where it's unavoidable? This subject normally doesn't come up at work.
  • Checking it out. I just realized something about my thoughtfulness in not categorizing, sorry. Next time. Anyhow I will bookmark buddhanet.
  • compassionate warrior, I have difficulty sometimes seeing what is real and not real. I am in a religious city with an impressive number of churches. There are many dutch Christian reformed people and other denominations. So do you think I could ascribe this to fears of differences?

When I was thought of my question I had been having a tempation to start reading the Bible to get more knowledge, but then I figured I would get into it if I had that interest without knowing how to not just get caught up in more ideas. Even if I just read a page here and there? I don't know how to wrap this up, hmmm
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    If you're having trouble seeing what's real, put away your books and even your thoughts, and just live in the here-and-now. See everything around you being tossed this way and that by cause and effect, new things coming into existence from various combinations of old things/components, old things changing and coming apart until they've simply returned to the empty-of-self (recognizable "thing") existence that came before... and then later becoming part of new things all over again. It never ends, nothing is ever gained or lost, only changed. :)

The truth is what you are, what's going on around you, how you came to be and what happens to the body after death, it's simply this right here. Trying to find it in books and beliefs won't show it to you, it'll only give you something to believe in. You have to do the work yourself, see it how it is and work on purifying your mind to detach from unskillful karma that leads to suffering.

If there was no Bible to read, no Buddhist sutras, nothing of the sort... what would reality be? Find that reality, because it's the nature of all phenomena that exists before we impose thoughts and perceptions, memories and beliefs.
  • Most bibles are dry and hard to read, Jeffrey. Maybe there's info online that boils everything down to a more manageable roar. I dunno. Don't you already know the basics--God, Jesus-son of god, died (supposedly) on the cross, born in a manger, blah blah. Why do you feel you need to know more? Just do a good job, focus on your work, be pleasant. I really doubt the subject will come up, unless customs are different where you are. I take it you're not in the US or England?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I think I understand comparing to an experience in a church where there was singing and a meal and then the pastor talked about the paint not being the true faith of the church.

I can only understand the bible being dry as needing a substance to read it! Thats another story. Yes there will be an orientation. I have only attended church with my aunt and someone I knew in school. At my last job water testing in a small busines the forget what its called manager encouraged me to learn a new intrument beyond what I did at orientation. So I guess thats my blah blah. At that the setting the computers were named after dieties and I didn't get their jokes. Oh well.
  • At that the setting the computers were named after dieties and I didn't get their jokes. Oh well.
    The computers were named after deities? There are no other dieties in Christianity besides God, and if you count Jesus. Some would count Mary. Sounding strange, Jeffrey. But you don't need to get their jokes. You're the volunteer, not a paid staffer.

• Sorry I didn't bring that part out. They were from India and it was their business. Anyways I had limited religious education in my town. We didn't go to the same church as my friends in school. I realize I have a lot of anger from my childhood experience in church. I'm not even sure what kind of church it was.
  • I realize I have a lot of anger from my childhood experience in church.
    Well, there's your problem, Jeffrey. Could be that the anger is causing this anxiety about fitting in at work. Meditate on or otherwise deal with the anger. Your mind is making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be, due to your past experience. Best wishes. :)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Jeffrey

There are basically two kinds of Christians:

(1) traditionals, such as Catholics; and

(2) modern evangelicals.

Unlike the traditionals, who emphasise goodness & charity, the modern evangelicals emphasise salvation through faith in the blood of Christ, regardless of deeds. The modern evangelicals emphasise the teachings of St Paul whereas the traditionals emphasise the teachings of Christ.

It is the modern evangelicals who are often to most intolerant. For example, the modern evangelical will tell you straight to your face, in the workplace, the Buddha, Mohamed, Krishna, etc, is the devil. They also disapprove strongly of Catholicism.

Therefore, there is really no need to share with others one is a Buddhist if it will just create conflict.

As for what the modern evangelicals believe, it is simply:

(1) we are all sinners;

(2) God sent Jesus, his only begotten Son, to die for us sinners;

(3) the sacrifice or blood of Christ is a demonstration of how much God love us

(4) therefore, by taking refuge in Christ's love, blood & forgiveness, we are set right with God via Christ's complete forgiveness of our sins

(5) Christ is the ONLY way.

On God's or Christ's behalf, this is quite similar to the Tibetan practise of 'tonglen' (taking & giving).

On our behalf, it is quite similar to taking refuge in Vajrasattva, the Bodhisattva of purification.

To end, there is no need the share one is a Buddhist. If asked about one's beliefs, simply reply with the dhamma, that is, non-harming, morality, compassion, etc

The Dalai Lama is a very good example. He wisely does not overplay religious differences but, instead, emphasises all religions have the capacity to develop goodness in human beings.

Therefore, just like the Dalai Lama, emphasise "goodness", "compassion", "non-harming" rather than "Buddhism". In short, you believe in helping people & being charitable.

Kind regards

DD :)

• Cloud, its so frustrating seems so hard to detach from karma and also be skillful.

compassionate, I think so it is hard to avoid karma.
  • Don't let yourself get overwhelmed, J. You're starting to sound overwhelmed. Don't let your mind exaggerate this into something huge. Breathe deep, be calm.
  • Dhamma Dhatu,

You caught me with this models of understanding and that connects to my past experiences.

• I agree this message is definitely out there. Kindness, fellowship, and calm
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Jeffrey

In my job, there is a lady who I am good friends with. She is very kind.

The first time I met her, I was waiting for her boss, in her area, and was reading a calendar on her desk, with Biblical quotes.

She came back to her desk and I asked her about the meaning of one of the quotes.

She then began talking about Christianity and, without any prompts, saying how the Buddha was the devil, the Dalai Lama was the devil, Mohamed was the devil, etc.

But this lady is intrinstically a very lovely lady. Unlike most in the office, she will do anything for you. She, by nature, is genuinely kind.

We have always been good friends. She does a lot of things for me because she has access to certain computers I do not.

I have never told her I am a Buddhist.

But if she did ask me if I was religious, well, I would have to say "I take an interest in Buddhism".

But generally, these folks only ask the question: "Are you a Christian?".

So we only have to answer: "No".

Regards

DD :)

• Read the gnostic writings. forget about the fundamental literalist Christian interpretation of the bible.
    read through the politics. measure everything against your own heart/mind/experience.

• I feel a hesitation about reading authors and texts on buddhism, because I am worried it will further divide me from my christian brothers. Seriously I am seeing the wish that there could be more understanding. Specifically I am wondering how people handle their emotions in an office setting with ideas about their faith?

I am not sure what I really want. I am kind of a jekly and Hyde personality in my ability to process thought. So reading a thick book is not an option probably.
    It is to be expected that your mind will be a bit schizophrenic in the early stages of Buddhist practice. After all, you are only just realizing all that unresolved stuff you have been carrying around for the duration of your life. It takes to deal with it all.

The other thing you will be trying to develop is some confidence in using your new tool box. That also takes time. So the first thing is - be gentle on yourself. Buddhism is not a miracle package. It does take time.

You have started on a new path and, Yes, it will take you off in a different direction to others. What did you expect? There will be differences. Get use to those differences. Again, be gentle on yourself. You will make mistakes but learn from those mistakes. Maintain your Buddhist practice and remember to set your motivation and to dedicate your merit.

I am a Buddhist and I attend the local Christian church. Why, because I live hundreds of miles from the nearest Buddhist centre and I need some fellowship with others who are on their own spiritual path. There is nothing irreconcilable here - I just don't out of my way to unnecessarily frighten the horses.

Remember, treat all beings with compassion.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    I feel a hesitation about reading authors and texts on buddhism, because I am worried it will further divide me from my christian brothers. Seriously I am seeing the wish that there could be more understanding. Specifically I am wondering how people handle their emotions in an office setting with ideas about their faith?

Hi I had a look around the net looking for malconceptions for refutations of Buddism. Strangeley enough I did not encounter a awful lot of them. Those who did challenge Buddhist philosofy were (where possible) very quickly corrected by others both buddhists and nonbuddhists.

But that is beside the point what I did find was many christians combining their faith with budddhism and successfully so. I know from where I come there are a heap of deities worshipped at Buddhist temples.

Maybe you could benifit from looking for christian-buddhist resources and testimonies on the net if you have not already?

R
    Victor

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Remember, treat all beings with compassion.
    ...including yourself!

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Hi I had a look around the net looking for malconceptions for refutations of Buddism. Strangeley enough I did not encounter a awful lot of them. Those who did challenge Buddhist philosofy were (where possible) very quickly corrected by others both buddhists and nonbuddhists.

But that is beside the point what I did find was many christians combining their faith with budddhism and successfully so. I know from where I come there are a heap of deities worshipped at Buddhist temples. ...

R
    Victor

Some very good points, Victor.

I don't feel that any of the world religions have all the answers. I have my own beliefs, which -- as you indicate some people doing -- incorporate both Buddhist and Christian principles. I don't know how correct or incorrect my personal religious views are...and neither does anyone else. We really won't know until the day we die, and perhaps not even then. So I increasingly just attempt to live a moral life.

If people want to discuss religion with me, that's all well and good with a couple of rules:
    1. Although I'm open to listening to wisdom, don't try to convert me. Period. And I will respect the other person's beliefs in the same way.
    2. Don't condemn any group for their religious beliefs, unless you can show me that they are actively harming other people.
    3. As Anwar Sadat once said in an interview, man has a tendency to seek out the differences, and overlook the similarities in religion. I at least try to look at various religions with some balance between similarities and differences.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

3. As Anwar Sadat once said in an interview, man has a tendency to seek out the differences, and overlook the similarities in religion. I at least try to look at various religions with some balance between similarities and differences.

Several of my instructors and HHDL(at a seminar) has said the exact same thing to me. Since then I have made it a point to look for the similarities at first. And I have noticed that when you do you often find the differences very easy to overcome. Very sound advice.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    I had a thread on similarities between Christianity and Buddhism, but a number of members declared it "pointless". I found some of the Buddhist teachings very helpful in terms of gaining a better understanding of Christianity. They're more similar than most people think, though they have important differences, naturally.
  • This is more about different stereotypes and imaginings I might have based on say if someone mentioned that they had celebrated St. Patricks day the wheels of my mind might be pulled and wondering about the snakes on the british ilse.. From that point I might mentally label someone 'a christian' 'a saviour' and mala versus roasary.

The issue is probably my security with some other branches and hang ups.

Dakini,

So what buddhist teachings or ways did you find helpul in gaining undersanding of christian faith and ways?
  • edited March 2011
    Upgrade the status of Jesus the same as Buddha is important, so as to free some component of misunderstand that resulted in contempt of Jesus or Buddha teachings that will result them ignorantly into bad realm even without knowing what is happening :thumbsup: With Metta
  • Thats a great idea Sea. I think if I remember the positive and not just my juvenile experiences that went boom kaput. We did always have a manger in our home and I always had fun arranging it in fun ways. What I am trying to do is get outside myself and honor (see it) them, yet still keep my calm.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i think i see what you're getting at here, jeffery. buddhism and christianity are basically two different answers to the same questions... why are we here? what is our purpose in life?
    but of course, they would have different approaches to life and therefore, they may change the way you view the world around you. as a result of a bad situation, a christian might say things like, "i'm just going to put my faith in god because i know he has a plan for me" whereas a buddhist would be more likely to take personal responsibility, and therefore this belief is going to change the way they react.

even now, i sometimes hear christians say things like this and i know that practicing buddhism has changed my world view because i don't see the world through christian eyes anymore. i don't believe anyone else controls my life and i don't believe that anyone else will swoop down and save me either. although i might not agree with christians anymore, i do feel that my world view is more helpful at the cessation of suffering, and therefore, i feel like i am better equipped to help others who suffer as well. the ideas might be different, but buddhism teaches compassion on a very fundamental level, so the differences matter less. don't be afraid to study buddhism because it might have this effect on you. i wouldn't trade this feeling for the world.

and on a side note, it sounds like you grew up in a very similar area as i did... it wouldn't happen to be western michigan, would it? lol
  • Read the gnostic writings. forget about the fundamental literalist Christian interpretation of the bible.
    read through the politics. measure everything against your own heart/mind/experience.

the few that I know about gnostic christianism is quite similar to the Dharma.
  • "but buddhism teaches compassion on a very fundamental level, so the differences matter less. don't be afraid to study buddhism because it might have this effect on you. i wouldn't trade this feeling for the world."

How did you know that zombie girl? I grew up in west michigan most of my life. I have done a few metta meditations with Pema Chodron. thanks I wish I were more gnostic, but thats what is nice about these supports is that they help to get unstuck.
  • i read the gnostic gospels of the nag hamadi library, and they were pretty bizarre, calling jesus one of the greek gods, saying god in the bible was the devil stuff like that, ive also read the gospel of barnabas, that says jesus never died on the cross, but had a follower double take his place, the muslims are really big on this as it states there will come a teacher greater than i jesus, who the muslims decided was mohammed, even inserted his name in a translation of the text, its the most similar to the gospels of the bible, reportedly written by barnabas, another one of the 12 disciples. if jesus never died on the cross and paul and his followers added the crucifixion to the gospels, well...., that would really throw a monkey in the wrench to the evangelicals!!
  • @Jeffrey,

I write this as one who has deep respect and love for both Buddhism and Christianity, and has spent many years studying both - although my knowledge of Christianity is, I will admit, deeper than my knowledge of the sutras (which is one reason why I value this site so much).

If you are interested in learning about Christianity, there are lots of good books BUT you must understand that the Christian churches are currently in a state of turmoil and flux unknown since the early Reformation. The result is that there are some extreme and extremely divisive views being expressed.

Not being sure how deep your own knowledge is, I would suggest that, at a primary level, there is a particularly good book by HHDL (The Good Heart) which examines Christian teachings from the pov of a well-instructed Buddhist.

My own favourite book is not an easy one but has meant a great deal to me over the years: Cobb/Ives The Emptying God in which the fine Japanese Buddhist scholar, Masao Abe, writes a fascinating comparison between the Buddhist notion of Sunyatta and the Christian kenosis.

As an aid to personal development and deepening of insight, I have used the Gospels of John and of Thomas alongside Mother Julian of Norwich's Revelations of Divine Love.

I would add this personal reminiscence. At the conclusion of a White Tara Initiation, I was chatting (through his interpreter) with the Geshe. He was asking me about my Christian beliefs and my meeting with HHDL. As we parted, he thanked me, said that I was the first Christian he had met who hadn't seemed to want to 'convert' him and added, "If I wanted to become a Christian, I would have to learn a whole new language." We do need to understand that each belief family, just like an y other family or group, develops its own set of meanings for common words and invents new ones to describe new concepts. This 'jargon' becomes common currency. We see it here and take some meanings for granted when we know the context of the writer or speaker. If you have ever spent long among doctors and nurses, you will have heard vast numbers of terms and acronyms that they all recognise but which could just as well be Mandarin to you. It's just the same with Christianity and Buddhism.

The study of beliefs is not a short or easy one - just look at how many books Joseph Campbell wrote! I have found it rewarding whilst also recognising that the more I learn, the stranger some of the different beliefs appear.

If you really want to read some of the Bible, may I suggest that you read a few of the Psalms - great religious poetry, the Song of Solomon (wow!) and the Book of Ruth from the Tanakh (the Old Testament) and Mark's Gospel (short and coherent) in the New Testament. Leave the rest. Avoid the last book (Revelation) and don't get into Saint Paul without reading Elaine Pagels on him.

Good luck.

• edited March 2011
    good post simon!

if you want to learn about jesus as a buddhist, get a red letter bible were the actual supposed words of jesus are in red ink and all the rest is in black, then ignore 99.9% of the black ink words, my preference of the gospels is luke, he was perhaps the most intellectual of the disciples and was according to scripture a physician or medicine man. luke is the gospel were jesus gives his 6 commandments which are almost identical to the buddha, and also were he says, i think, "you are judged by your works"(judged by what you do not what you say, or your faith)
  • edited March 2011
    if jesus never died on the cross and paul and his followers added the crucifixion to the gospels, well...., that would really throw a monkey in the wrench to the evangelicals!!
    I've never read the Gospel of Barnabas. I should check it out.

The crucifixion happened, but Jesus survived it. (Otherwise, how could he have ingested food at the Last Supper, if he were in spirit form?) He went east with the caravans to India and Kashmir. A Harvard graduate with a PhD in Oriental Languages found a text at Hemis Monastery in the 1920's or 30's, that detailed Jesus' life in the east. He sent articles about it back to the US, where it made headlines. These articles can be read in the Nicholas Roerich Museum in Manhattan. It was N. Roerich's son, George, who translated the text from Tibetan into English.)

• edited March 2011
    i read the aquarian gospel i think you are refering to and it struck me as pure fiction, too good to believe, so lined up with what some want to believe, it clearly struck me as a book that had been written in english, likewise the book of mormon.
  • I'm not referring to the aquarian gospel (I don't know what it is). The relatives who raised me were friends of Nicholas Roerich's and hosted him in their home in Manchuria, before they immigrated to the US. I've seen the newspaper articles at the Roerich Museum.
  • I'm not referring to the aquarian gospel (I don't know what it is). The relatives who raised me were friends of Nicholas Roerich's and hosted him in their home in Manchuria, before they immigrated to the US. I've seen the newspaper articles at the Roerich Museum.
    How wonderful, CW. I visited Urusvati in the beautiful Kullu Valley and loved the paintings. Having spent some time reading about him before setting off to India, I came to the conclusion that he has been most unjustly exiled to footnotes: his work to protect cultural heritage deserves to be emphasised at this time when the treasures of Iraq, Egypt, Afghanistan and elsewhere are being plundered.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fb/Urusvati_base.jpg/240px-Urusvati_base.jpg

• Thanks, Simon. I've always wanted to visit the Kulu Valley. The Roerichs were an impressive bunch. Did you know that Nicholas was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize because of his "Roerich Pact", an international treaty committing nations to sparing cultural treasures during times of war? The only reason I can imagine for his being "unjustly exiled to footnotes" is that the lawyer with whom he entrusted his financial matters in the US, while he was on his Asian expeditions, failed to file US income taxes in Roerich's name, and problems ensued. Also, he paid a brief visit to the USSR while on a US government-sponsored expedition. Oops! FYI, there's a great and inspiring film about him available from Snow Lion: Nicholas Roerich: Messenger of Beauty.