Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Crisis

edited December 2005 in General Banter
My brother has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and is in the hospital right now. He might not be back in time for christmas. It kind of makes me sad. It just came out of the blue. Anyone have any advice on what to do?

Comments

• edited December 2005
    oh no! Diabetes, quite common.

Anyway, if he's not back in time for christmas the best thing that you can do is go to visit him.
  • edited December 2005
    Nirvananoob, my sister was diagnosed about 20 years ago when she was about 10.
    We thought she had the flu and then my mother found her in a diabetic coma on the bathroom floor. Fortunately we got her straight to hospital where she was diagnosed.

All I can suggest is to be supportive. It takes a lot of getting used to having to deal with injections and measuring the carb contents of food so I expect your brother is going to get quite frustrated. It takes a while to adjust but like most things it gets easier with time.
    My sister leads a perfectly normal life, she knows when she needs to eat and manages her diet accordingly.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    What does your heart tell you to do?
  • edited December 2005
    Nobody can tell you what to do Nirvananoob. There are no rules. Simon gave you good advice.
  • edited December 2005
    How's your brother doing now NirvanaNoob?
    Has he been able to come home for Christmas?
    Best wishes,
    Adrian
  • edited December 2005
    No hes not going to come home in time for christmas. I do want to visit him though but I feel bad also becaue I dont want to at the same time because yesterday we stayed at the hospital for about eight hours and I dont want to stay that long again.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    No hes not going to come home in time for christmas. I do want to visit him though but I feel bad also becaue I dont want to at the same time because yesterday we stayed at the hospital for about eight hours and I dont want to stay that long again.

I loathe hospitals, despite having worked at St Stephen's in London, and hospital visiting is always a great strain - on both the visitor and the patient. Have you ever heard the Tony Hancock "Half Hour" where he's in hospital?

The real problem is that both patient and visitor is out of their normal environment and subject to the written and unwritten rules of an alien institution. Also, it smells funny.

At the same time, when I am a patient, I really appreciate the effort that visitors have made in coming at all, even when the conversation runs out.