Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

More on newbie meditation

edited March 2011 in Meditation
Just looking for any help and input on this.

As I try to increase my practice another thing I run into is my sore back. I have an old but still painful disc issue in my L3 area. That, and resulting inflexibility, makes sitting cross legged hard. What I've been doing so far is this.

I divide the session into two. First I sit on sofa cushions, Burmese style, for about half the time. I'm so stiff I cannot do that unaided, so I sit with my back against the wall, looking out. As a result, I close my eyes rather than be distracted by the bookshelf opposite me. Gradually I sense I am gaining some flexibility in forcing myself to do this part.

Then I get about and try to do walking meditation for only a minute (once around my small study) mainly to keep meditating but allowing me to shake out the pins and needles. Finally I do the remaining time sitting on a simple chair. This I can do facing the wall so I try to keep my eyes part open, looking slightly down during this part.

Recently however I visited a zen store and got to try an actual zafu. That was brilliant. It allowed me to sit upright, Burmese, without leaning on the wall. Clearly even three sofa cushions are not a good idea. I also bought a seiza bench to try that out.

I'm also about to start doing yoga, mainly to help with flexibility to help my meditation practice.

Any pointers in any direction welcomed.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    See if a Chiropractor could do some manipulation to ease the pressure. I also have experienced severe disc problems, going back many years. I tried many different remedial therapies, and found that Chiropractic was by far the best option for me.
  • There is a nice section on common problems during meditation in the link below

http://viewonbuddhism.org/meditation_practice.html

you could also try lying down to meditate

http://www.wildmind.org/posture/lying-down

Metta to all sentient beings
  • Used skillfully - this helps some.image

• when you say you sit on sofa cushions, that means your butt is on the cushions and your knees/feet are on the floor?

• when you say you sit on sofa cushions, that means your butt is on the cushions and your knees/feet are on the floor?
    Yes.

• Yeah, the sofa cushion may have been too soft and/or the wrong height.

When you use a zafu, make sure you're using the front 1/2 or 1/3 of it.
  • For newbies, practice earnest wisdom through meditation of non grasping etc but the destination be set on Amitabha Land of Ultimate Bliss :wow:
  • Tried a meditation bench? It's what I usually use.
  • Tried a meditation bench? It's what I usually use.
    Yep - bought one last week and it really helps. Can't believe I wasted my time with sofa cushions :)