Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Losing Steam

AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
edited March 2011 in Meditation
Life tends to catch up with us and sometimes, we lose focus and energy for meditation and growth. My practice appears to have plateaued and it is difficult for me to get beyond a certain point. How do people here re-energize themselves and find the energy to push through?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Why not take a break? Maybe your mind just needs a rest and will unravel a bit on its own, unwind and settle. A break to just watch life a bit, not force anything.
  • My practice appears to have plateaued and it is difficult for me to get beyond a certain point.
    Could you say more? How long have you been doing this? And how is the plateau manifesting itself?

(I'm asking out of interest -- not trying to diagnose I'm afraid)
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Cloud wrote:

"Why not take a break? Maybe your mind just needs a rest and will unravel a bit on its own, unwind and settle. A break to just watch life a bit, not force anything."

You may be right. I will take your advice and try to re-energize the batteries. I would likely come to miss it and that could help me.

And to Cranreuch:

I have practiced for about 5 years now. I would say that my plateau could best be described as a point where it becomes same old same old. There have been times when I have truly felt excited to wake up in the morning and practice. When I came to realize that I could feel meditation as a comforting haven, I looked forward to it. It had become the best part of my day. I lost that and it can become almost a chore to me. When it becomes a chore, I am not so sure it provides me with what I need.
  • What does your practice look like? What makes it feel like it's a chore? What other problems are there in your life at the moment?
  • I don't know how you meditate, but maybe you can change your type of meditation, for instance try repeating a mantra for your meditation. Meditation does not have to be all about the classical lotus position either, try walking meditation or other forms of mediation that can be practiced.

Metta to all sentient beings
  • Fivebells wrote:

"What does your practice look like? What makes it feel like it's a chore? What other problems are there in your life at the moment?"

I usually meditate first thing in the morning for around 20 to 30 minutes. I focus on the breath, where I feel a deep breath inside (usually in the lungs) and I also practice metta meditation at times.

The thing that makes it feel like a chore I believe, is because I don't see things changing. I guess I am grasping onto this need for change or to see improvement.

As far as my life at this moment, I am feeling overwhelmed in many ways. It has been some time since I have taken any time off of work and the demands are presently very high."

Your questions have helped Fivebells. I need to examine things more closely.

taiyaki, thank you for the imbedded clip. It is on point.

• Such a practice is good for developing concentration and is beneficial in a number of other ways, but it's hard to build on that concentration without a longer meditation session. It's generally good to spend at least the first ten minutes settling down and establishing stable attention, and at least the last ten minutes rebalancing. Out of 20-30 minutes of meditation, that doesn't leave much time for the actual practice. Could you extend your meditation period up to, say, 40 minutes?
  • whatever meditation you do make sure really look back at the person who is meditating. Intimately question who is meditating. don't do this always but only when you're open to it.

whether you're working on concentration, doing a mantra, being mindful, just chilling. once and a while turn your awareness around on itself. it's fun stuff.

meditation is what it is. do it when you want to.
  • The main motivator for any kind of "practice" ( i don't like that term), for me, is suffering.