Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Write a Book?

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited March 2011 in Arts & Writings
I've been wanting to write a book... but what should I write a book about?

I was thinking about writing a book about the ethical and logical flaws in religions, but I feel as though I cannot express myself to well on that subject without seeming too harsh, mean, or over-the-top.

A novel? Or what? I don't know. Any suggestions?

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I think a know. A novel about a monk who's country goes to war and he is forced to make difficult decisions which will all come down to his beliefs and morals. :)
  • That's an interesting idea. Check out the film "The Human Condition" by Masaki Kobayashi. Its a 9 hour epic movie about a ethical man who is conscripted into the army and deals with very difficult moral situations time after time. Two thumbs up, I think its a great movie for all buddhist types to see!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    That's an interesting idea. Check out the film "The Human Condition" by Masaki Kobayashi. Its a 9 hour epic movie about a ethical man who is conscripted into the army and deals with very difficult moral situations time after time. Two thumbs up, I think its a great movie for all buddhist types to see!
    Love it!
    Thanks!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I think a know. A novel about a monk who's country goes to war and he is forced to make difficult decisions which will all come down to his beliefs and morals. :)
    Very good idea!
    I will be the first in line to read it!
  • paint with words...
  • Perhaps write a fiction like story like on major devestating religious movements, like from a personal perspective as if you were there (IE crusades etc), it'll take some research, but might be a nice little project for you and sara. :)
  • edited March 2011
    i started a historical novel about a fictional violin trade war with china, in order to introduce my economic plan, free food for everyone through taxes on bad things etc. ive called this plan trickle up economic theory for years, no relative to the use of this term by president obama.

chapter one, the long one is below chapter two at the top of the page, and its not all fiction, the bottom of chapter one is straight talk, apologies if i were a bit more in a christian state when i wrote this, i was having a manic episode and haven't had the will to continue the writing since november last year i think. check it out if you have some time its 10-20 pages

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

• edited March 2011
    The sutra on Infinite life of Amitabha Pure Land provides you with amazing ideas on a land compassion, bliss, love, peace, great splendor of accomplishments, that you can paint on. Instead of quoting the source from Buddhism sutra, you can describe this land of ultimate bliss as your personal imagination and fiction, although it is non-fiction and achievable in all walks of life :p
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    I used to want to write fantasy/sci-fi fiction, but now it would either be non-fiction about reality, or fiction that's meant to represent flowing reality through whatever scenario.

@MindGate, Why don't you write a short story first? Often that's the best way to find out what your writing style is like and to get feedback from close friends or family to whom you can show it. That's what I did. It can also possibly shed light on what kind of writing work would best suit your writing style!
  • edited March 2011
    blogspot.com gives you a free website with a url you choose for no cost, its run by google, unfortunately theres no way to edit once youve committed it to the web, and it posts your chapters backwards with the most recent at the top and the beginning at the bottom. for any one reading my story, my name is lyndon john taylor, john is what everyone called me at the temple because they couldnt pronounce my first name.