Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Fat Guy

edited January 2006 in Buddhism Today
Where did this image of "the fat guy" come from?

I have wondered this for some time. I seem quite silly when I tell people the wonderous phrase: "BUDDHISTS DON'T WORSHIP THE FAT GUY" and direct people to an accurate image of Siddhartha.

However, I am then asked: "So why do people think of Buddha as 'the fat guy'?" and I honesty do not know the answer.

Somebody please tell me!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    http://www.newsfinder.org/comments.php?id=231_0_1_0_M

This is what Brian means when he refers to 'The Fat Guy'.
  • edited December 2005
    Exactly - Buddha did not look like that!

Why is he seen that way? Why are there statues of him that way?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Well, I believe there are statues of him, because there have been ~many~ Buddha's throughout time - either real or made-up.

Siddartha was just the first enlightened person that either stepped forward and proclaimed this fact - or that history was kind enough to capture.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    The other point to remember is that we actually have no idea what The Buddha looked like....The Buddha (Siddarta Gauthama) actually resisted having likenesses made of him, exactly because he didn't want to be immortalised and then risk being deified....
    he finally relented, stipulating that the resulting image be a representation of a perceived being of Buddha-Nature....
    All images then, are representations of Buddha-Essence, and manifestations of what we should all aspire to.... This particular Buddha is jolly, happy and in spite of his heavy load/baggage, doesn't appear to have a care in the world....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    It's mainly an Asian thing, Sangha. One time I was sitting in our temple in Maryland doing a prayer shift (we have an ongoing 24 hour prayer vigil at both our temples that has been going on for 20 years) when one of our anis (nuns) came through giving a tour to some Japanese ladies. When they spotted me, they all started giggling and pointing at me. I was like, go away! Later I asked the ani what they were all so amused at. She said, "They say you look like the Buddha!" Obviously a case of mistaken identity!

Palzang
    edited December 2005
    .....Are you sure.........?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    HO HO HO!

Merry Christmas, luv.

Palzang
    edited December 2005
    And you Palzang.... Have a wonderful time, whatever you do.... Goes for everyone....:)
  • edited December 2005
    As far as I am aware, "the fat guy" otherwise known as "the laughing buddha" is supposed to represent Maitreya Buddha, or the "buddha yet to come".
  • edited December 2005
    Lindsay wrote:
    As far as I am aware, "the fat guy" otherwise known as "the laughing buddha" is supposed to represent Maitreya Buddha, or the "buddha yet to come".

As I found him in China his name was something I couldnt pronounce, but a happy fertility sort. Before that I'd known him as the laughing Buddha, Hotei.

He's kinda the santa claus of Buddhas ;)

Here's something cute a friend gave me about him....

The Laughing Buddha, legends say
    Was born in China, on an ancient day
    His heart was big and his belly GRAND!
    He carried a bowl and a sack close to hand.

Like a Zen Santa, I'd say he was
    Except he was bald as a peach, with FUZZ
    He'd look at each child with a magical twinkle
    And pull from that sack, in the corner, by a wrinkle ...

... JUST the right gift at JUST the right time
    He'd do it without effort or reason or rhyme
    "Oh, thank you Santa," each child would say
    Except in Chinese, in their inscrutable way

I, a young monk, asked the great man
    As we walked on the path, bowl and sack in hand
    "How do you guess? How do you know? What gift to offer? What seed to sow?"

The Laughing Buddha gave a great chuckle
    He laughed so hard I thought his knees might buckle
    "It's easy, when you know where to begin:
    Picture their face and look within.

"The greatest gift doesn't come in a box
    It's rarely a doll and it's never more socks
    The greatest gift comes from the heart
    That's the very best place to start."

The Buddha winked once, patted his belly twice
    Then disappeared in a shower of rice
    He left me the bag to hand out more stuff
    Why, there's something for YOU, right under this fluff!
    edited December 2005
    "T'was the night of the Bodhi, and all through the land
    not a creature was stirring 'xept Buddha's right hand...."

I know that poem....!

Another version (far less poetic and amusing, so I'm sorry for that!) is this one:

The Legend of Mi Fo Lo (The Laughing Buddha) or Pu T’ai (hemp cloth sack Buddha)

Mi Fo Lo is the squat, rotund Buddha of infinite joy. He carries a heavy sack tied to a gnarled branch of an ancient peach tree. The peach represents Wisdom and Maturity. In his hand he often carries a gourd filled with the sweet nectar of Knowledge.
    The sack is heavy and cumbersome, but he carries it with patience and fortitude, and the smile of infinite Joy, Serenity and Happiness never leaves his face.

One day, upon his travels, he is wandering down a stony rugged path, and he chances to meet a disciple. The greet one another, and then the disciple asks, “Master, what is Enlightenment – understanding, acceptance, the True Way?”
    In response, Mi Fo Lo simply places the sack upon the ground.
    Bemused, and a little puzzled, the disciple takes this in, and then ventures to ask, “ Well, if that is so – what next?”
    Mi Fo Lo simply picks up the sack and placing it upon his shoulder once more, smiles his farewell warmly, and continues on his way.

(It little matters what you carry in Life – more important is the way in which you bear your load.)
  • edited January 2006
    Hi all. New here. First post. Short and sweet.

Anyway, having spoken to a Chinese buddhist, he claims to understand the American fascination with the fat guy. Apparently, American GI's were taken with the Chinese view of Maitreya Buddha, simply because he made them smile. The statues came home with GIs in the forties and fifties, and were immortalized as our view of the 'Buddha'. I think Shakyamuni would have been amused.

I don't know how completely accurate this is, but it seems right. The little fat guy makes me smile too. Smiling is good.:smilec:
    edited January 2006
    Welcome Superbeast....
    Nice to see you with us....

You join us at the start of a brand New year.....
    hope it all goes swingingly for you!

;)
  • edited January 2006
    Here's another about Hotei, who was a Tang dynasty Zen monk:

Anyone walking about Chinatowns in America with observe statues of a stout fellow carrying a linen sack. Chinese merchants call him Happy Chinaman or Laughing Buddha.
    This Hotei lived in the T'ang dynasty. He had no desire to call himself a Zen master or to gather many disciples about him. Instead he walked the streets with a big sack into which he would put gifts of candy, fruit, or doughnuts. These he would give to children who gathered around him in play. He established a kindergarten of the streets.

Whenever he met a Zen devotee he would extend his hand and say: "Give me one penny." And if anyone asked him to return to a temple to teach others, again he would reply: "Give me one penny."

Once he was about his play-work another Zen master happened along and inquired: "What is the significance of Zen?"

Hotei immediately plopped his sack down on the ground in silent answer.

"Then," asked the other, "what is the actualization of Zen?"

At once the Happy Chinaman swung the sack over his shoulder and continued on his way.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Interesting that his name is Mo-Fo....
  • edited January 2006
    Laughing Buddha ( Happy Buddha)

Laughing Buddha ( Happy Buddha) Known as Hotei (Japan) and Pu-Tai (China), these figures embody the ideals of the good life: health, happiness, prosperity and longevity.

They represent the later Buddhist notions that the good life was indeed attainable in this world. It consisted of self-mastery, a happy demeanor, purposeful endeavor, a deep commitment to the welfare of others and enlightened awareness.

Scholars believe that the Laughing Buddha is in fact modeled on an historical figure, biographical works list him under the monk's name Ch'i-tz'u, a weird name meaning "Congruent with This."

He is supposedly the only member of Japan's Seven Lucky Gods based on an actual person, and he is also probably the most widely recognized outside of Japan.

He is said to be an incarnation of the Bodhisattva Miroku (Maitreya in Sanskrit).

All sources describe him as obese, with wrinkled forehead, and a white protruding belly which he left uncovered. There was another feature of his bodily appearance that captured attention.

Wherever he went, he wore a pu-tai (Japanese Hotei) or cloth-bag. Thus he came to be known as Pu-tai Hoshang or hemp-bag monk.

Legend has it that in this bag he carried candy for the children. Over the centuries within China, Buddhist notions of happiness based on self-mastery and enlightened insight were fused with popular Chinese life-ideals of happiness through material prosperity, thus today the hemp sack may be interpreted as filled with gold, filled with happiness, health, and other aspects of abundance.

In recent times, Hotei is also referred to as the patron saint of restaurateurs and bartenders. When one over eats and over drinks, one may sometimes jokingly attribute it to Hotei's influence.

Happy Hotei's come in many forms.

Laughing Buddha of Love - sitting in love and compassion

Laughing Buddha of Prosperity - holding a Ru-Yi Pot or Bowl of Plenty up to the universe for receiving abundance

Laughing Buddha of Safe Travel - on a journey with a hemp sack full of protection

Laughing Buddha of Happy Home - sitting on a large gold nugget representing solid foundation, with a smaller nugget in his hand to give to others

Spiritual Journey Buddha - dressed for the journey in fine robes, with a fan for understanding and a sack to collect insights

Laughning Buddha of Long Life - sitting with his fan hat and enjoying the good life!

also

Hotei

Travels the country spreading joy and happiness wherever he goes.
    His big belly is a symbol of happiness, good luck and generosity. Hotei is the deity of happiness, laughter, abundance and the wisdom of contentment. The image of the Hotei Buddha is almost always seen carrying a cloth or linen sack. It is usually filled with many precious items, including candy for children, food, or the woes of the world. His prayer mala is carved with a symbol meaning "good fortune". His large elongated earlobes are a sign of wisdom. The bag represents fulfillment of wishes or can also be the blessings of Buddha. Happiness is one of the Laughing Buddha's greatest gifts.

Many believe that rubbing the Laughing Buddha's belly brings joy, luck and prosperity. As a result, Feng Shui has adopted the Laughing Buddha as a prime symbol of wealth & prosperity.

He is supposedly the only member of the seven based on an actual person. Back when Buddhist missionary monks were delivering the message & way of Gautama Buddha onto the islands of Japan, they devised a method to more efficiently reach the local Shinto inhabitants. By manifesting Buddhist principles, with Shinto Kami, the monks were successful. Kami are seen as Shinto gods and were worshiped as such.

The Buddhist monastics were able to better communicate their teachings to Japanese natives by using the Kami's as examples in common Buddhist practice. Thus, Buddhism became very widely accepted in Japan and from one of these manifestations, came Hotei.

info taken from the following addresses:

http://www.mercurytreasures.com/buddha.html

http://www.coldbacon.com/hotei.html

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/hotei.shtml
    edited January 2006
    Would anyone like to know WHY he is fat?

It has nothing whatsoever to do with eating.....
  • edited January 2006
    federica wrote:
    Would anyone like to know WHY he is fat?

It has nothing whatsoever to do with eating.....
    yes please!
    but if I have a quick guess, it something to do with knowledge of knowledge?
    edited January 2006
    Not exactly.... but close.... you ready....?

According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) The Energy of the Body is called 'Chi' (Ki in Japanese.) The central storage and replenishing centre of this Chi within the body is in the lower abdomen, accessible via a specific point just below the navel. This centre of Energy, which is there for us to harness and utilise, is called the Tan Dien (Chinese) or Hara (Japanese.) The more energy we develop and improve, the greater the abundance of Beneficial Chi. Therefore, you can tell that the 'fat Guy' is really replete with so much great Original Chi that he's expanded to accommodate it....!
    Incidentally, the Organs resonsible for the guardianship of Original Chi are the Kidneys, which embrace and cradle this Energy... the Condition of the Kidneys is mirrored in the ears.. the healthier and more vigorous the action of the Kidneys, the bigger the ears... Check the fat Guy's earlobes, too....! They're Haaauuuge!

Well there you go... very brief and succinct... the whole TCM thing would only take me about three years to explain in minute detail - so you'll just have to do with this for now!! :lol:
  • edited January 2006
    That's nice. I don't feel so bad about my pot belly and enormous earlobes now!
  • edited January 2006
    Maybe that's why my tummy isn't as flat as it used to be...it ISN"T my (sadly) decreasing practice of yoga...it because of my HEALTHY KIDNEYS!!!! ; )
  • edited January 2006
    "HOTEI, STEP AWAY FROM THE PIE! KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM!"
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    This is great! I'm getting pretty full of Original Chi! And all this time I thought it was the chocolate.
    edited January 2006
    I always refered to everyone's abdomens as 'Buddha-bellies' in Qi Gong practise... everyone felt much better - and prouder - after that....
    ZenMonk, idf you want him to PUT THE PIE DOWN, pointing that bottle of HP at him won't help!
  • edited January 2006
    Why is that a cutie little one has a belly referred to as a 'Buddha Belly'....but as adults we're 'fat'??????? Not fair!!!!!!!

Maybe it's because children are naturally loving and compassionate...
    and adults are 'attached' to weight, material gain, personal gain....
  • edited January 2006
    Because you've forgotten that you are a Buddha.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Our household hotei has his arms up and is holding two spheres. My son maintains that he is laughing because he has got the universe by the balls!