Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Relating to Christians

edited March 2011 in Faith & Religion
There have been a few threads on this recently, and I found myself thinking today while driving of where I'd been (in Christian terms), where I am now ("God" knows :) ), and things I've found out in the meantime.

The first thing is that in terms of a Christian -- especially family/friends/loved-ones -- having a problem with someone's interest in Buddhism they can be (very) broadly divided into two groups. The older established groups, like Roman Catholics (me), Anglicans. and so on are much less likely to have a problem. The newer and/or more evangelical are more likely to. There are numerous exceptions (me - "charismatic" Catholicism), but it's a reasonable rule of thumb.

Next, if you are dealing with someone who does have a problem, it's almost certainly going to be based not primarily on how you are living your life, but mostly on what you admit to *believing*. There are two things that could trigger a problem for them:

1. You believe something you are not supposed to
2. You don't believe something you are supposed to

My experience so far is that a lot of what is normally called Buddhism simply isn't a problem in terms of point 1. "Do you believe Buddha was god?" No. "Do you believe that you have to shave your head?" No. "Do you believe you have to worship a statue of an elephant?" No. "What about a statue of a fat dude?" No. And so on.

Of course there are *some* beliefs that could cause an issue. A belief in the non-existence of god is one. I don't find that a problem because I don't believe in the non-existence of god. I don't believe in the existence of god either. I just don't know (although see below)

But overall, as far as point 1 goes, Siddartha Guatama is to Christianity what Steven Covey, or Oprah Winfrey, or Tony Robbins is to Christianity -- namely, pretty much orthogonal. From that point of view, the only reason Christians get upset at Buddhism is that it's "eastern" and scarily exotic.

The bigger problem is point 2. For example, "Do you believe that Jesus Christ was the Only Son of God?" One possible way of tackling that is to recognize that it's not a particularly precise question. What exactly is meant by "son", for example. It can't be the normal biological sense, where son is male offspring resulting from the fertilization of a human ovum by human sperm. Christians don't mean that by "son". Nor is it the usual legal definition -- something about certain legal documents being executed in a particular way. Of course that means that strictly speaking the answer to tings like "Do you believe Jesus was God" is "No". But if you say that it's probably best to point out that "not-believing in X" is not the same as "believing in not-X".

Same goes (as I pointed forwards from above), for the word "god". It's not a very well-defined term. In one sense the answer to the question "Do you believe in God?" is not "No" or "Yes" but "Huh?"

Needless to say, many if not most evangelical Christians will take that approach as either evasive, dishonest, or just plain evil. But it's none of those things; not for me anyway.

C

Comments

• So far in history, there is no evidence of disciples from Christianity and Catholic have factually attained liberation that left behind some proven fact lest Jesus himself. Buddhism's master venerables are basically explaining the context of proven facts from Buddhism POV, on behalf of Christianity and Catholic etc, to maintain harmony and peace. The faith or believe of Buddhism is based upon personal realization and actualization. Buddhism do not believe in idolizing statues as that of other faiths like Jesus etc, the statues are created and is from one's heart or the heart. The statues in Buddhism are education tools to make you the membership same as Buddhas or Bodhisavattas.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    You might also notice that as you feel less pressure for others to validate your view, you feel less pressure when others wish you to validate theirs. Cultivating spaciousness might be more productive than debating with yourself as a means of preparing for some unknown war.
  • You might also notice that as you feel less pressure for others to validate your view, you feel less pressure when others wish you to validate theirs. Cultivating spaciousness might be more productive than debating with yourself as a means of preparing for some unknown war.
    Folding the cloth of devotion is a safer path to wisdom than cultivating spaciousness.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    You believe what life has shown you, your mind clinging to the most reasonable version of reality that it can construct from your life's experiences, and out of a desire for happiness. Everyone has this same desire, and is subject to the same conditioning of their lives. There's really no difference between anyone, except for circumstance. Conditions.

What you are to other people are what you say and do. Don't speak of beliefs in a way that would cause bad feelings, simply be at peace with yours and let others be at peace with theirs. If they ask if you believe, just tell them you don't know but are always thinking and open to new ideas.

I might be moving to a place that's something like 97% populated by Christians, and although I don't necessarily share their beliefs, they are all my brothers and sisters regardless. Just be a good person. As one poster said "my parents hate me when I'm a Buddhist, but they love me when I'm a Buddha".
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited March 2011

Folding the cloth of devotion is a safer path to wisdom than cultivating spaciousness.
    Oh?