Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Forgivness Please

For many many years, forgiveness has been the single most important factor in increasing the peacefulness in my life, and sharing that Peace with others

Lately, I've been looking for more great thoughts on forgiveness so as to better share the importance of forgiveness with others. Please share your thoughts, quotes, or links, particularly links to videos, here.

Very much thanks in advance & Peace.

I'll share other favorites as well.
I just found these 2 videos the other day:

Comments

• It is more important that a person can forgive his own action rather than seeking the forgiveness of others.
  • It is more important that a person can forgive his own action rather than seeking the forgiveness of others.
    Nope. Don't buy it.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited March 2011
    It is more important that a person can forgive his own action rather than seeking the forgiveness of others.
    Nope. Don't buy it.
    How so? I personally believe that they're equal, but thats just me.
    Nope. Don't buy it.
    How so?
    I believe that seeking forgiveness of others is part of me making reparation for harm I've done to them. I don't seek forgiveness for my benefit (although it often does benefit me) but for the benefit of the person I have harmed. As such I believe it is at least, if not more important than me forgiving myself.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

I believe that seeking forgiveness of others is part of me making reparation for harm I've done to them. I don't seek forgiveness for my benefit (although it often does benefit me) but for the benefit of the person I have harmed. As such I believe it is at least, if not more important than me forgiving myself.
    I think seeking forgiveness from others is about feeling less guilty. Authentic, detached sorrow for our mistakes is usually expressed by simply apologizing to others, independent of their reaction... without us needing anything from them. And, most importantly, only if it seems skillful to do so for them.
  • I think that forgiving ones-self can be just as important as forgiving others.
    I don't often think about seeking forgiveness for myself, accept as a way of helping others to heal.
    Thank you for the food for thought.

I did recently ask a loved one who is suffering greatly for her forgiveness as part of asking her to please forgive everyone in her family (from parents, to siblings, to spouse and children) for anything any of us may have ever done to her. She said that there is nothing I have done that I need to be forgiven for. So I asked her to then start practicing by being willing to forgive me for even any little tiny thing which may later come to mind.
    I am certain that the more she practices and moves along the path of forgiveness the less she will suffer.

"To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.”
    Lewis B. Smedes
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "The Past is over. Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better Past."
    Carl Jung.

I think this is very powerful.
  • "The Past is over. Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better Past."
    Carl Jung.
    Thanks. I've shared that elsewhere with folks who are working on forgiveness.

Quoting the Dalai Lama
    “Take forgiveness. Two levels here. One level: forgiveness means you shouldn’t develop feelings of revenge. Because revenge harms the other person, therefore it is a form of violence. With violence, there is usually counterviolence. This generates even more violence—the problem never goes away. So that is one level. Another level: forgiveness means you should try not to develop feelings of anger toward your enemy. Anger doesn’t solve the problem. Anger only brings uncomfortable feelings to yourself. Anger destroys your own peace of mind. Your happy mood never comes, not while anger remains. I think that’s the main reason why we should forgive. With calm mind, more peaceful mind, more healthy body. An agitated mind spoils our health, very harmful for body. This is my feeling.”
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    It is more important that a person can forgive his own action rather than seeking the forgiveness of others.
    Nope. Don't buy it.
    Was it for sale??

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Forgiving oneself is the beginng of accepting everything about oneself and ultimately having compassion and love for oneself. When one can begin to do that one can begin to do that with others, being open, accepting, compassionate and loving with others; seeing that others as the same as you. I would also have to wholeheartedly agree with aMatt's sentiments.
    With metta,
    Todd