Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Raise the alarms the Buddhists are coming !

zidanguszidangus Veteran
edited March 2011 in Faith & Religion
I have just seen this website from an organisation called Yad L'Achim, getting all hysterical about a Buddhist center being built in Israel.

http://www.yadlachimusa.org.il/?CategoryID=192&ArticleID=749

In particular I like this quote

"Buddhism is idol-worship in the fullest sense of the word and that every step must be taken to prevent the establishment of this avoda zara center, while there is still time."

Is it any wonder why there is so much religious conflict in the world when there are groups like this operating.

P.S I should say sorry if its old news to people, I just seen it today and thought I'd give a short comment.

Metta to all sentient beings

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    (Moving this to Buddhism & World Religions, not so much Buddhism for Beginners material @zidangus.)
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited March 2011
    sorry seems I was to quick to hit the post button
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    That kind of religious intolerance is sad. Buddhists aren't seeking to destroy Judaism or anything, but this guy makes it sound like the opposite is true, at least as far as that locale. I think he could learn a thing or two about respecting the religious beliefs of others!
  • (Moving this to Buddhism & World Religions, not so much Buddhism for Beginners material @zidangus.)
    Hey cloud, what's "All Discussions" supposed to mean? Give us a pointer so we won't barge into the wrong bar.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @yiming, All Discussions means every thread in every category. It's the default view when you come to the site, with the newest threads and ones with new posts at the top and older inactive ones further down. If you're just going through all the threads it doesn't matter which category the thread is in; the category is more for if you only want to view Beginners threads, or only threads on Meditation (etc.), and is something thread-creators need to choose when they post a new thread.

Many times people don't check this, and end up posting new threads in the default section (Buddhism for Beginners), and the mods have to move a lot of threads around...
  • This group just makes me sad. They actually have an "anti-assimilation" section, devoted to making sure good Jewish girls don't marry a Muslim. Another example of both people are people everywhere, and that people never learn.
  • edited March 2011
    i think Jews, Christians, Muslims, even Buddhists have a lot to learn about tolerance for other religions, but the Jews of all people should know the importance of tolerance, it being religious intolerance and hatred that fueled the holocaust.
  • This is the kind of karma you'd expect from a country with an explicitly racist, exclusionist charter.
  • i could say something similar about america and christians, and saudia arabia and muslims, lets not pick on the jews, especially the jewbu's(jewish buddhists)
  • No, people are people everywhere. The Dharma is universal. The Noble Truths apply to everyone, not just Buddhists. People are instinctively tribal in nature, and that infects their beliefs and fears. In this case, it's an extreme example. But, it's the same impulse to huddle in tribes and fight the outsider that is inside all of us.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Pointing out a flaw in Israel's self-concept is no more "picking on the Jews" than pointing out flaw in the US or PRC self-concept (both of which I do frequently) is picking on the Anglo-Saxons or the ethnic Chinese. And no one here said anything hostile about Jewish Buddhists.
  • SeMichSeMich Explorer
    Yad L'Achim is traditional in the extreme; they are ultra-Orthodox. I do not think that their attitude reflects mainstream Israeli opinion. Not that the Israelis are particularly tolerant or should be expected to be, but Yad L'Achim is not what I would call representative.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Glad to hear that!
  • edited March 2011
    My "Baptism of Fire?" Long ago I discussed my excitement about HHDL to [insert name of person I know here].

That person came back with, "That ATHEIST!? Why do you pay attention to that pablum*!?"

From that statement I so desperately wanted to conclude the hypothesis, "People are frickin' IDIOTS" had been finally proven! But I held off and just realize lots of people are suffering with their delusions and attachments.

The whole Middle East is a mess; they won't clean up their act for hundreds of years.

*pablum |ˈpabləm|
    noun (also pabulum |ˈpabyələm|)
    bland or insipid intellectual fare, shallow entertainment, etc.; pap.
    • ( Pablum) trademark a soft breakfast cereal for infants.
  • I just sent them a nicely worded email via the "contact us" link on their web site.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Really?
    I was thinking of doing the same thing..... :)
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Personally I think Buddhism will be the major religion in the west come 20 years.
  • Religious tolerance is a two-way street, guys. I wouldn't care about any kind of temple being built in my neighborhood, but if I wanted to start something that the community felt so strongly about, I would simply understand a move on to find another way. Tolerance isn't just accepting that something is here, it's also understanding that what you bring is something they might just not like or want, and needs to be respected on both sides.

But I'll agree that there're some harsh things being said by Yad L'Achim
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    When I walk to the market, I pass the synagoge, the mosque, and two churches.
    I just wished there was a Buddhist temple and a Hindu shrine too.
  • Personally I think Buddhism will be the major religion in the west come 20 years.
    That is unlikely. Why? In Buddhadharma, you actually have to do something. People prefer instant salvation, relying on a third party. Thus regarding the religion fad, I think that Bahai will overtake soon.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste,

This is a very interesting point. I have read a fair bit on the Ba'hai faith and think you may be right as the Ba'hai are inclusive of most religions I believe - I'm willing to be corrected on that if I'm wrong.

In metta,
    Raven
    Personally I think Buddhism will be the major religion in the west come 20 years.
    That is unlikely. Why? In Buddhadharma, you actually have to do something. People prefer instant salvation, relying on a third party. Thus regarding the religion fad, I think that Bahai will overtake soon.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

When I say west I really mean Europe. USA I am not so sure about. In any case.

Rationality has become the trademark of the educated. Faith is becomming unpopular. Buddhism offers the only real alternative. Tao seems a bit too hedonistic to make it but maybe.

Bahai is a faith religion i take it? Therefore I bet my dollars on Buddhism.

/Victor
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Ba'hai's accept validity in all teachings, including Buddhism, but yes, they believe in A god.

In metta,
    Raven
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Funny I was just listening to Chomsky say Israel is developing a mood of straight up paranoia
  • WillowberryWillowberry Explorer
    edited March 2011
    I had some Jehovahs witnesses come to my door the other day, very pushy to come inside, however I was in the middle of things and could not accommadate.

I said that I am a Buddhist, from that point they turned and left after looking me up and down with an expression of discust.

I was shocked, people who came to my door talking of love responded like that. Religion is a strange thing...

(sorry if its a little off topic)
  • edited March 2011
    I was shocked, people who came to my door talking of love responded like that. Religion is a strange thing...
    That was to be expected. Worldly religion is a dispute about whose imaginary friend is better.

:)
  • WillowberryWillowberry Explorer
    edited March 2011
    That was to be expected. Worldly religion is a dispute about whose imaginary friend is better.

:)
    haha well said.