Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happy Christmas

edited December 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Happy Christmas everyone! :wavey:

Comments

• edited December 2005
    And a Happy Christmas to you too Windwalker!
    :ukflag:
  • edited December 2005
    Merry Christmas.

Funny story, one of my friends asked if Buddists did christmas or not, seeing as its a christan holiday... I shruged and say "Why not? I am."

So... I was wondering... does it matter? Or actaully does anyone understand what I'm asking, cause I forgot.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I think we should take the opportunity to celebrate any festival. It's such fun.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Merry Christmas everyone. I say celebrate when you have the chance. Isn't Buddhism concerned with the here and now? Well, I'm with my family all day today, and that is my here and now?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    And let me add a Merry Christmas as well.

The point raised by Jen is an interesting one. I watched a documentary about the history of Christmas on the History Channel the other night, and before the 19th Century, Christmas wasn't even celebrated in Protestant churches - a holdover from Puritan days when it was considered to be too much fun or something. It only became widely celebrated in the 1820s and 1830s at a time when the role of the child in the family was radically changing. Prior to that time, the family was seen as a means of disciplining the child to become a productive adult. In other words, children weren't allowed to be children but rather were expected to behave like little adults. But that changed in the early 19th Century with the emergence of a middle class that had more leisure time, more money, and didn't live constantly on the edge of disaster. So as the focus on children increased, Christmas was a natural holiday to engender that process as it provided an acceptable way of lavishing gifts and attention on the children without seeming to spoil them. So the Christmas celebrations of the Catholic faith were adopted by the Protestants, and Christmas became very popular, but it was basically from a secular point of view, that of celebrating the children rather than remembering Christ's birth, although that was the excuse.

The Christmas tree was a German custom that was introduced into Britain by Prince Albert (Victoria's hubby, who was German). It took hold there and then was rapidly adopted by the Americans (who copied everything British, for some ungodly reason). Santa Claus was the invention of an Episcopalian minister who wrote "Twas the night before Christmas" for his children.

So really Christmas is much more of a secular holiday than a religious one anyway, so why shouldn't Buddhists (and Jews and Muslims and whoever) celebrate it as well? We have children also, don't we?

In the Shambhala tradition, Christmas has been renamed Children's Day, and I think that's a very appropriate name that more truly reflects the way it is practised by nearly everyone.

Anyway, have a merry Children's Day!

Palzang
  • edited December 2005
    'Childrens day'...I like that...but why should they have all the fun:tonguec:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    I remember reading a christmas cracker motto which went:
    "Setting a good example to children takes all the fun out of Middle Age."

I live by that....!! :lol:
  • edited December 2005
    oh yes, merry christmas everyone! well..its the 26th now, but you know! hope you all had a good day :)

I don't see why we shouldn't celebrate Christmas! I think of it as a time to celebrate your life, family, and friends. I love the feeling of generosity and compassion that hangs in the air during christmas day! And it's an excuse to cook lots and lots of food and share it around, especially since my family loves to cook heaps :D

On a different note, my family now knows that i have chosen Buddhism, and they are very supportive! :) my sister even gave me a handcrafted statue of Buddha for christmas! hehe, i'll see if i can get a photo of it! My grandparents weren't as happy as my immediate family though...they are strictly Christian, and keep saying they will be praying for me every night that i can accept 'God' into my life again...i tried to say there is no need, but it didn't work :P ah well ^^
    edited December 2005
    The festival pre-dates Christianity by many a long century. We have decorated our hoses with green boughs to remind ourselves that, even in the darkest times, we still have the promise of Spring, and we did it long before the Romans came.

The origins of the Anglo-Saxon traditions has as much to do with Charles Dickens as with German Bertie.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    We have decorated our hoses with green boughs to remind ourselves that, even in the darkest times, we still have the promise of Spring, and we did it long before the Romans came.

If that's panty hose, and the boughs are holly.....

I just love typos....
    Merry Yuletide everyone! The days are now getting longer!!
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited December 2005
    My sunny warmth will be back soon, YAY!!!
    edited December 2005
    All hoses have been decorated! As shown in Andy Wharhol's wonderful film.

It has been a great Christmas so far - and not a single row. And I saw all four grandchildren together.

Today, I slobbed out and watched The Muppets' Chistmas Carol and The Clangers. Joy!
  • edited December 2005
    Wow, great movies to watch around this time of year.