Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

THE FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS, formula for success,

preface; before enlightenment the buddha lived for several years in the jungle with tigers and was practically starving eating nuts berries and fruit, i guess. he was not interested in getting rid of his own suffering but reaching enlightenment or a state or true being to benefit all beings.

Torturously sitting 24/7 under a tree for three months meditating 23/7 so to speak, the soon to be buddha experienced a brilliant thought, if we fed everyone, nobody would starve, if we healed everyone no one would be sick, if we clothed everyone no one would be naked(except by choice), if we housed everyone no one would be homeless, if we educated everyone no one would be as ignorant as without an education, if we could end war, no one would die or suffer the ravages of war, if we had a fair political system, the rich brahma would be equal to the poor low caste people,if we could eliminate or tame delusion, people could reach enlightenment.etc.etc..................................................................

then after meditating on this for a month or two(historical fiction here) the buddha thought how can i explain to people something so complicated and how could it possibly be accomplished. these are all true worthy things but what do they have in common, then voila, that mighty aha moment when the buddha realized all bad things are a form of, or cause of, suffering, suffering is the one thing they can all have in common, another week or two and he'd got it down,1. suffering is a bad thing and needs to be gotten rid of,2. all suffering is caused by something, 3 If we can get rid of the things that cause (an individual thing) to cause suffering, then 4 obviously with the causes gone (that particular form of) suffering has been eliminated.

in a start the buddha rose up, he didn't jump as his legs were cramped, his worshipers who considered him a god for his stillness, he was the ultimate meditator like a statue, they were alarmed and thought something had gone wrong with the buddha, and he seemed ravenously hungry, and enjoyed expensive gourmet dinners people offered him, he didn't speak, just put his finger to his lips and said sheh, one by one seeing his very lazy habits of not meditating hours on end anymore, he'd walk in circles and around the parks smiling and bowing at people,

his worshipers had lost interest in him as he no longer was the somber meditator; he seemed elated, five or six devout followers stuck with him sometimes following him around the town, then one day as they sit cross legged under a tree, the buddha spoke slowly, "hey guys your not going to believe this!!! i think i've got it figured out, the answer to everything and all our problems, no joke. listen to this and tell me if it makes sense;

and then preached to them the four noble truths, i'll stop this semi fiction account right here as the rest of the story was recorded 2500 years ago in a place known as bodhigaya, india, its the buddha's first sermon in, i think, the deer park, where he teaches his formula for success, the four noble truths; its in the buddha's DHammapada scripture, maybe a gracious reader could reccomend the good translations, sincerely Lyndon John Taylor Mar.2011

Comments

• Former monk john's new telling of the four noble truths;;

1 (insert type of)SUFFERING IS A BIG PROBLEM EXISTING TODAY
    2 (insert type of)SUFFERING HAS NOTICEABLE CAUSES (if we really think about it)
    3 IF WE ELIMINATE THE ACTUAL REAL CAUSES (OF A TYPE) OF SUFFERING
    4 WE HAVE DEFEATED (that form of) (MAYA) SUFFERING AND IT (IS GONE), DOESN"T EXIST ANYMORE