Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditating Outside/Park

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited March 2011 in Meditation
Meditating Outside/Park.
Has anyone tried meditating outside and if so, what is your experience(Park).

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    I used to have a cedar forest in my back yard (Seattle, WA). It was VERY conducive to meditation! Wonderful!
  • isn't a forrest (parks being the closest urban alternative) the poster child of meditation places?!
  • careful of being robbed. it's not optimum for sitting meditation because of the potential dangers. but walking meditation is win when you do it outside. barefoot. feeling the ground. there is a nice quality to it.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I used to have a cedar forest in my back yard (Seattle, WA). It was VERY conducive to meditation! Wonderful!
    Wow!:)
    It's different than meditating in your house/apartment/room...Huh?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Yeah, it is. The sound of the breeze gently rustling the trees, and the soft warmth of the sun filtered through the trees on your skin, the subtle fragrance of the air, it's so peaceful, and somehow...inspiring, or something. Of course, one could argue one should be able to meditate anywhere. but outdoors in a quiet place seems particularly conducive. Leon, aren't there redwood groves around where you live, or not?
  • careful of being robbed. it's not optimum for sitting meditation because of the potential dangers. but walking meditation is win when you do it outside. barefoot. feeling the ground. there is a nice quality to it.
    being aware of the surroundings include your stuff!

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Leon, go up to Mill Valley, and meditate in the redwood grove that's a park in the residential area. There's even a Tibetan Buddhist temple/mini-monastery there. :) No one will bother you or steal your stuff. It's heaven! (so to speak...)
  • edited March 2011
    I much prefer meditating outside.

In the warmer weather I meditate in my back garden or the park.

Otherwise I keep a window open and sit near it, winter weather permitting.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2011
    I have meditated briefly in Tragfalgar Square and Piccadilly Circus.
    both frenetic, busy, central urban areas.
    if yoy can find peace in those environments, pretty much anywhere is a good place to practice.