Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Self vs. Consciousness--What's the Difference, If Any? (Warning: another Rebirth thread)

edited March 2011 in Philosophy
In Buddhism it's said there is no self. Yet teachings on rebirth say "consciousness" is what transmigrates to the new life form. Is this a semantic game--is "consciousness" another word for "self"? Or are they different, and if so, how?

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Imo, it's just another teaching that serves a purpose, but ultimately has to be abandoned. You're right, I believe there is a serious contradiction in most buddhist's beliefs in this regard. How can I have a life-stream that is different from your life-stream, letalone one that could come to a close upon enlightenment, if there is no thing called self? Seems like an obvious contradiction to me.

There is simply a constant recycling of the aggregates. The process of impermanence and not-self. I'm just one manifestation of that process. So are you.
  • ...teachings on rebirth say "consciousness" is what transmigrates to the new life form.
    It's easy to come away with the wrong impression about this, because the postmortem-rebirth theories are so vague on exactly what does transmigrate from life to life. In fact, the teachings explicitly say that consciousness does not transmigrate from life to life:
    ...this evil view had arisen to a bhikkhu, named Sàti the son of a fisherman: 'As I know the Teaching of the Blessed One, this consciousness transmigrates through existences, not anything else'.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks, fivebells, you're right. But there are other texts that do speak of consciousness surviving corporal death. (Quoted in past threads.) I never know what to make of these contradictions. In any case, Vajrayana texts say "consciousness" or "mind" survives and carries on. I probably should have said "some teachings on rebirth say...".

To clarify; in Mahayana tradition, it's said there's no "self", but that "consciousness" or "mind" transmigrates to a new life form.

Maybe we need a Mahayana discussion category. (Mods? What do you think?)
  • In Buddhism it's said there is no self. Yet teachings on rebirth say "consciousness" is what transmigrates to the new life form. Is this a semantic game--is "consciousness" another word for "self"? Or are they different, and if so, how?
    Most of discussions hit :banghead: because it is so difficult to define consciousness.

• edited March 2011
    In Buddhism it's said there is no self.......
    Would it not be more precise to say that there is no permanent and independent self? But if we say that, then it could imply that there could be a self (ego, being, or whatever) that has the same characteristics as all other phenomena, that is impermanent, dependent and constantly changing, a "process" if you will. Rebirth could, perhaps, be a part of this ongoing "process" rather than a transmigration of a permanent and everlasting self. Any thoughts?
  • Buddha nature is considered large Self in Buddhism. Your "true nature". Which is in fact that you have no nature. You are a nothingness, which makes you everything.

That nothingness is aware of itself. Consciousness is aware of consciousness.

So your true nature is formless, empty, but is aware. Thus the buddha is the awakened one. He woke up to his buddha nature, which is a nothingness that is aware.
  • Consciousness is that which sees out of the eyes, hears noises, feels, tastes. How do you walk? How do you move?
    Sure thinking can process these things, but do you think to do all the time? How do you know you dream?
    How do you know you are here right now?

Do you know that feeling within you. We grow older and more mature, our personalities change, our minds change, but there is that feeling of not changing within us. That feeling/whatever has been with us since forever. Since we were children, when we were teenagers, and now when we are adults.

Though words cannot describe it because it is where words cannot go. Call it the still point.
    It is like a stillness/nothingness/spaciousness but these words are only symbols pointing to it.
  • Mahayana/Vajrayana refer to a more subtle form of consciousness than the normal thinking, focused-awareness type of consciousness.

It's nice to see what the Theravadins have to say about this, though.
  • Consciousness is that which sees out of the eyes, hears noises, feels, tastes. How do you walk? How do you move?
    Sure thinking can process these things, but do you think to do all the time? How do you know you dream?
    How do you know you are here right now?

Do you know that feeling within you. We grow older and more mature, our personalities change, our minds change, but there is that feeling of not changing within us. That feeling/whatever has been with us since forever. Since we were children, when we were teenagers, and now when we are adults.

Though words cannot describe it because it is where words cannot go. Call it the still point.
    It is like a stillness/nothingness/spaciousness but these words are only symbols pointing to it.
    Nice way of describing this phenomenon. So what will be a difference been consciousness and self?

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    In the Pali Canon, self is defined as that which is "permanent, stable, eternal, not subject to change" (SN 24.3).

Consciousness is defined as a dependently arisen phenomenon (MN 38).

Therefore, consciousness ≠ self.
  • there is Self (true nature) and self (ego construct).

the ego is thoughts, emotions, beliefs all wrapped up into memory and personality and such. we grasp onto an abstract idea called an ego and we suffer.

the true nature is our true nature. which is in fact emptiness. we are a vast nothingness. it is important not to make this nothingness into an idea or an object. it is what we are at our core.

consciousness is the same thing as true nature. just different words for the same thing. there is consciousness, which is conscious of itself.

there is not a person who is conscious. there is just consciousness, which is conscious of itself.

enlightenment is just the shift from being an ego to being consciousness, which is empty.
  • edited March 2011
    Is it not true that to say that there is really nothing of the nature of consciousness that passes from lifetime to lifetime "the error of nihilism", or is that concept not applicable in Theravada?
  • it's only nihilism if you view it from the position of emptiness as an ego.

from the position of emptiness, life is a fullness. you are nothing and you are everything.

the nothingness forms the basis for the form. you look at form and you see the emptiness. yet it is still form.
  • there is Self (true nature) and self (ego construct). .....
    The Hindus share a similar view. Their practice of "Self Realization" is seeing beyond the (ego) self and realizing the (true) Self, i.e., atman.
  • yeah all religions are all about that love. wonder why?
  • In the Pali Canon, self is defined as that which is "permanent, stable, eternal, not subject to change" (SN 24.3).

Am I right to assume that what you call self is described by some religions as soul?
  • i suppose the problem arises when the Self just becomes another self. So ego thinking that it is an all powerful Self.

lol that sounds terrible but i am sure it happens.
  • Mahayana/Vajrayana refer to a more subtle form of consciousness than the normal thinking, focused-awareness type of consciousness.

It's nice to see what the Theravadins have to say about this, though.
    Interesting but I have to read more before I comment.

Most of the terms are new to me.

Sorry, I am a novice.

:bowdown:
  • Thank you to all who have tried to answer my questions.

There are so many concepts and new words that I will need time to digest it.

I am very grateful, be patient with me.

Namasti
  • anatta is more about negating a permanent, unchanging, undivisible self.
    Oh? Tell us more, SherabDorje.

Would it not be more precise to say that there is no permanent and independent self? But if we say that, then it could imply that there could be a self (ego, being, or whatever) that has the same characteristics as all other phenomena, that is impermanent, dependent and constantly changing, a "process" if you will. Rebirth could, perhaps, be a part of this ongoing "process" rather than a transmigration of a permanent and everlasting self. Any thoughts?
    This is interesting.
    In the Pali Canon, self is defined as that which is "permanent, stable, eternal, not subject to change" (SN 24.3).

We now have different opinions about the existence of a permanent, eternal self. Jason, would the passage quoted be referring to the Self that is Buddhanature? And "consciousness" as what others here are referring to as "self", small "s", meaning ego-construct? What is "consciousness" as referred to in MN 38, Jason? (Help! )
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    What is reborn is not a soul or something like an unchanging self, or a consciousness. It's the craving of existence that causes a new existence. If a mind is attached to this world when it dies, karma will cause it to be reborn. This causes a new dependently arisen consciousness which is not you and it is not yours because your mind is not yours.

There is no you, there just is stuff happening and the ego clings on to it as if it is something that is unchanging, is permanent. But rebirth and life is are musical piece being played. There may be separate instruments, but is is the individual notes that make up the whole arrangement, no note keeps on going until the end of time. Nirvana is the end of the concert. After the last notes it doesn't need any instruments (consciousness etc) anymore.

That's how I see it, anyway :D

Sabre

Am I right to assume that what you call self is described by some religions as soul?
    I image so. In Buddhism, self (atta) — in the philosophical sense as opposed to it's conventional usage — is defined as that which is "permanent, stable, eternal, not subject to change" (SN 24.3). What people generally refer to as 'soul' usually falls under this definition.

Just for reference, the Buddha also makes the point that whatever one takes to be their self — if it is really their self — should be fully subject to their control and not lead to affliction. However, the phenomena and experiences that we cling to as self are neither subject to our full control nor are the free from affliction. This includes everything from the five aggregates to the six sense-media, which are the most discernible aspects of our experience on top of which we construct our sense of self.

Our sense of self, the ephemeral 'I,' is merely a mental imputation; the product of what the Buddha called a process of 'I-making' and 'my-making.' It's seen as a continuous process—something which is always in flux, ever-changing from moment to moment in response to various internal and external stimuli. Furthermore, the Buddha observed that there are times when our sense of self causes us a great deal of suffering, times when we cling very strongly to those momentary and fleeting identities and the objects of our sensory experience on which they're based in ways that cause a great deal of mental stress. (For more of my thoughts on clinging, see this).

This leads into the teachings on not-self (anatta). In the simplest of terms, the Buddha taught that whatever is inconstant (anicca) is stressful (dukkha), and whatever is stressful is not-self—with the goal being to essentially take this [analytical] knowledge, along with a specific set of practices such as meditation, as a stepping stone to what I can only describe as a profound psychological event that radically changes the way the mind relates to experience.

That doesn't mean, however, that the teachings on not-self are understood to deny individuality (MN 22) or imply that the conventional person doesn't exist (SN 22.22). The way I understand it, they merely break down the conceptual idea of a self — i.e., that which is satisfactory, permanent and completely subject to our control — in relation to the various aspects of our experience that we falsely cling to as 'me' or 'mine' (SN 22.59).
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Good post Jason.
    edited March 2011
    We now have different opinions about the existence of a permanent, eternal self. Jason, would the passage quoted be referring to the Self that is Buddhanature?
    Personally, I don't think so. For one thing, there's really no concept in the Pali Canon that's analogous to Buddhanature. Self, as it's used here, is derived from the how self is defined in the early Upanishads.

In addition, the Buddha himself says that he doesn't "envision a clinging to a doctrine of self, clinging to which there would not arise sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair" (MN 22). So, from a Theravadin point of view, if self = Buddhanature, and Buddhanature = big self or true self, then the Buddha rejects clinging to this idea of self along with the Upanishadic self.
    And "consciousness" as what others here are referring to as "self", small "s", meaning ego-construct? What is "consciousness" as referred to in MN 38, Jason? (Help! )
    See SN 12.44 and SN 25.3.
  • reject it all. even the rejecting.

in language we overlay concepts on reality. reality has no inherent names. thus we use words to describe something that frankly cannot be adequately described.

thus all the confusion.
  • The MCTB chapter which Taiyaki linked in another thread might shed some light on this.
    One teaching that comes out of the Theravada that can be helpful is that there are Three Ultimate Dharmas or ultimate aspects of reality: materiality (the sensations of the first five sense doors), mentality (all mental sensations) and Nirvana (though they would call it “Nibbana,” which is the Pali equivalent of the Sanskrit). In short, this is actually it, and “that” which is beyond this is also it. Notice that “awareness” is definitely not on this list. It might be conceptualized as being all three (from a True Self point of view), or quickly discarded as being a useless concept that solidifies a sense of a separate or localized “watcher” (from the no-self point of view).

Buddhism also contains a strangely large number of True Self teachings, though if you told most Buddhists this they would give you a good scolding. Many of these have their origins in Hindu Vedanta and Hindu Tantra. All the talk of Buddha Nature, the Bodhisattva Vow, and that sort of thing are True Self teachings. True Self teachings point out that this “awareness” is “who we are,” but it isn’t a thing, so it is not self. They also point out that we actually are all these phenomena, rather than all of these phenomena being seen as something observed and thus not self, which they are also as they are utterly transient and not awareness. This teaching can help practitioners actually examine their reality just as it is and sort of “inhabit it” in a honest and realistic way, or it can cause them to cling to things as “self” if they misunderstand this teaching. I will try again...

You see, as all phenomena are observed, they cannot possibly be the observer. Thus, the observer, which is awareness and not any of the phenomena pretending to be it, cannot possibly be a phenomenon and thus is not localized and doesn’t exist. This is no-self. However, all of these phenomena are actually us from the point of view of non-duality and interconnectedness, as the illusion of duality is just an illusion. When the illusion of duality permanently collapses in final awakening, all that is left is all of these phenomena, which is True Self, i.e. the lack of a separate self and thus just all of this as it is. Remember, however, that no phenomena abide for even an instant, and so are empty of permanent abiding and thus of stable existence.
  • edited March 2011
    Buddha's rejection of the "Upanishadic Self"... now that's interesting.
    Anatta = not-self = rejection of Upaishadic Self (Atman) = rejection of a self that is permanent, stable, eternal, not subject to change.
    Thanks.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    IMO, "self" is just the mind clinging to permanent independent existence. It's wrong thoughts, "wrong view" as opposed to seeing impermanence and not-self as reality. When the mind gains clarity, nothing has changed except its view or perspective on life. There was never any self that came into existence or is destroyed, only "thoughts" of a self.

IMO, the mechanism whereby mind clings is procreation. Two humans come together and create children to perpetuate what they are. This is like the analogy of one candle being used to light another candle; the new flame is not the same as the old flame, but is causally related, one flame leading to the next. If there were no children born from this point on, the species would die out, and the mind screams against this.

There are many ways to think of it, but you have to find a way that lets you "let go" and accept the impermanent and not-self reality, or else the mind continues to cling.
  • In Buddhism it's said there is no self. Yet teachings on rebirth say "consciousness" is what transmigrates to the new life form. Is this a semantic game--is "consciousness" another word for "self"? Or are they different, and if so, how?
    The Buddha did not teach "rebirth" and "not-self" together.

Rebirth is lokiya dhamma, that is, a mundane teaching for ordinary people (puthujjana).

Not-self is lokkutara dhamma, that is, a supramundane teaching for those seeking enlightenment (sekha).

The following video by the Dalai Lama may help straighten out what appears to you to be a contradiction.

With metta

:)

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Is this a semantic game--is "consciousness" another word for "self"? Or are they different, and if so, how?
    Consciousness is sense awareness. There are six kinds of consciousness functioning separately with the six sense organs.

The Pali word for consciousness is vinnana, which has its linguist root in the term "nana" or "knowing". Vinnana is not citta/mind-heart (storehouse). Vinnana is just mere knowing or awareness.

Vinnana cannot be the vehicle for transferring mental defilements & tendencies because it is mere sense awareness. The nature of consciousness is to dissolve mental defilements & tendencies rather than store or carry them.

"Self" is a thought construct that is born from the ignorant citta.

Neither "self" or "consciousness" are reborn in the teachings of the Lord Buddha.

What is "reborn" is karma & the results of karma.

For example, you murder another human being. That action haunts your mind in the future. Your mind may develop PTSD. This is rebirth. Or you end up in prison. This is rebirth.

The Lord Buddha emphasised karma is reborn.

• edited March 2011

Rebirth is lokiya dhamma, that is, a mundane teaching for ordinary people (puthujjana).

Not-self is lokkutara dhamma, that is, a supramundane teaching for those seeking enlightenment (sekha).

Very interesting. Never heard that before. Makes sense, though. I haven't looked at things in terms of rebirth in quite some time. At least in the normal sense. I don't believe I have any sort of "life-stream" and you have another separate "life-stream."
  • edited March 2011
    CW asked for more on the Vajrayana point of view on this issue- I found this- it's the first time I've seen this piece precisely so I want to go read it again, but it seems to be the Vajrayana POV:

"As His Holiness the Dalai Lama teaches, "until you realize that the basic, innate mind of clear light is your true nature, you remain a sentient being; but when you understand your ultimate nature, you become a Buddha." Although clear light tallies with mind's natural state, it does not appear in ordinary states of consciousness because they are darkened by ignorance and obscured by emotions. The Kalacakratantra analyzes the nature of those obscurations at the level of life's source motion, i.e., breathing. Each one of our breaths holds immensity within itself and is related to the universe because the very same energy that makes us breathe also sets celestial bodies into motion. In this context, energy is to be understood as some physical magnitude quantified by the calculation of the revolutions of the planets or the number of breaths. However, this physical energy also has its subtle spiritual dimension which is experienced while meditating."

http://viewonbuddhism.org/dharma-quotes-quotations-buddhist/vajrayana-tantra-practice.htm

I would be curious to know what Theravada has to say about this. I just get the impression (just IMO) that if whatever it is that moves to the next life is not in any way associated with "me", even in a very "subtle" way, for lack of a better term, then why should I really care? If whoever it is that is suffering in the next has absolutely nothing to do with the "me", why should I care at all? It's going to be somebody else that's suffering. I won't know anything about it.

So what does Theravada have to tell me about why I shouldn't just do a Hemingway?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    You have to see other people as being just like you @SherabDorje. They didn't ask to come into this world, they don't ask to suffer (they want to be happy). When you go from a view with a self-center to having no center at all, equating all as part of the whole, not-self... this is the balance of wisdom and compassion. They're both necessary, enlightenment is both, not one or the other. Even animals and insects are the same, mind and form, the mind suffering when there is not clarity of things as they are. Trying to be happy, trying to survive, trying to perpetuate itself and the species.

When we remove "self" from the equation, we can move on to helping those who suffer. Love others as you'd love your children, and find a way to love yourself just as equally. It doesn't matter if the future has nothing to do with you, does that mean you don't care if your children's children, or just people in general, and sick and dying and in pain in the future? Do you not feel a connection, as if that's just like this generation arising into the conditions of the world we inherited from our ancestors?

Any problems we have are still just us, the "I", clinging to a personal existence. The mind will do anything to avoid seeing that it's not some permanent separate entity, and that it too will pass and recycle the body back to the Earth to be used for other things. We have to accept conditionality. We have to see the part we play, let it be, release our clinging and find peace. When we find that peace, we can help make the conditions for others better, and give better conditions to our children and those who will come after us. Selfishness has to go out the window!
  • @Cloud- I agree. I just think this is a particularly good discussion because it will hopefully give me the Theravadin view about whatever it is that passes to the next life. So I ask rhetorically, because I agree with everything HHDL said in my post above, but I want the Theravadin point of view about why I should give a rat's ass. Whoever it is that gets my karma won't be me, and whoever gets that karma won't be that person either, and so forth, according to what I see posted here from the Theravadin point of view. What I'm getting from what's posted is that consciousness disappears completely once the aggregates disappear, which, to me, is the extreme of nihilism. So if consciousness disappears when the aggregates disappear, what's the point? We'll all be pushing up daisies soon enough.

Rhetorically. I am a firm Mahayana/Vajrayana Buddhist myself, and I think the passage from HHDL is really good, but I present the question rhetorically for the Theravadins.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Eternalism is thinking we will always exist. Nihilism is thinking that nothing exists when we're gone. The middle is seeing that future generations, just like us, arise from conditions and suffer due to ignorance. Those minds that are right now are no different from us, those that will come to be are no different from us. We have to see the middle, any clinging to personal existence is dukkha. We have to penetrate Anicca and Anatta, just intellectually understanding them or comprehending them isn't enough, we have to focus on them and observe to see if life is really like this, try to find any permanent self within the aggregates (not just rely on textual interpretations), meditate to let the mind calm and center itself for insight to arise.

We always seem to be looking for someone else to tell us why we should care, or to command us to care. When we understand the suffering of others happens exactly the same way it happens to us, and there's no real separation, we can't help but care. No one has to tell you. This is why we need to follow the path and practice, not just take anything for granted as it's told to us. We have to find this out for ourselves, have our own perspective.
    edited March 2011
    I would be curious to know what Theravada has to say about this. I just get the impression (just IMO) that if whatever it is that moves to the next life is not in any way associated with "me"...
    I already posted the Buddha in the suttas did not teach about not-self and rebirth together.

In essense, the Buddha inferred a 'self' is reborn. How can one encourage morality in unenlightened people if they themselves will not be reborn?

I agree with your point of view. If whoever it is that is suffering in the next has absolutely nothing to do with the "me", why should I care at all?

edited March 2011
    The Kalacakratantra analyzes the nature of those obscurations at the level of life's source motion, i.e., breathing. Each one of our breaths holds immensity within itself and is related to the universe because the very same energy that makes us breathe also sets celestial bodies into motion...
    This is meta-physics. The Buddha was not concerned with meta-physics. He was concerned with views that end suffering.

The Buddha said rebirth was mundane right view because it sides with morality or non-harming (but does not side with liberation).

The Buddha also said the view of eternalism was also mundane right view because it sides with morality or non-harming.

B3. "With regard to this, a wise person considers thus: 'If there is the next world, then this venerable person — on the break-up of the body, after death — will reappear in the good destination, the heavenly world. Even if we didn't speak of the next world, and there weren't the true statement of those venerable brahmans & contemplatives, this venerable person is still praised in the here-&-now by the wise as a person of good habits & right view: one who holds to a doctrine of existence. If there really is a next world, then this venerable person has made a good throw twice, in that he is praised by the wise here-&-now; and in that — with the break-up of the body, after death — he will reappear in the good destination, the heavenly world. Thus this safe-bet teaching, when well grasped & adopted by him, covers both sides, and leaves behind the possibility of the unskillful.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.060.than.html

edited March 2011
    The Buddha also said the view of eternalism was also mundane right view...
    I intended to say the view of existence...although essentially the same...

• Thanks, DD. I think that settles it for me.
    edited March 2011
    "As His Holiness the Dalai Lama teaches, "until you realize that the basic, innate mind of clear light is your true nature, you remain a sentient being; but when you understand your ultimate nature, you become a Buddha." Although clear light tallies with mind's natural state, it does not appear in ordinary states of consciousness because they are darkened by ignorance and obscured by emotions. The Kalacakratantra analyzes the nature of those obscurations at the level of life's source motion, i.e., breathing. Each one of our breaths holds immensity within itself and is related to the universe because the very same energy that makes us breathe also sets celestial bodies into motion. In this context, energy is to be understood as some physical magnitude quantified by the calculation of the revolutions of the planets or the number of breaths. However, this physical energy also has its subtle spiritual dimension which is experienced while meditating."
    This quote seems to be implying the jiva indriya (life faculty or life force) is reborn, rather than consciousness.

It is also seems to imply the mind of clear light does not get reborn. However, the mind of clear light is pure consciousness so, if so, how can consciousness be reborn?

Following the logic of the above quote, the only thing that can be reborn are the obscurations but obscurations are not consciousness.

Consciousness is like water. Obscurations are like mud. Mud obscures the water.

To justify their theories of reincarnation, the Mahayana was required to invent an 8th consciousness.

• Just off the top of my head- consciousness is a constant, unborn, undying, always present, the closest thing to "eternal" that Buddhism will admit to?

I am open-minded about this. I have to go back to that site and read the whole thing and maybe even (OMG) some Alexander Berzin. I don't stand by any of the statements because right now it's faith in the accomplishments of Mahayana and Vajrayana, that is, in their experiences such as the Bardo.

But right now it's probably my upbringing as a Catholic that draws me to Mahayana.
  • I wish this thread was easier to read. I have yet to hear a simple explanation of this.
    edited March 2011
    Just off the top of my head- consciousness is a constant, unborn, undying, always present, the closest thing to "eternal" that Buddhism will admit to?
    No.

This is a Mahayana view but not one of the original suttas.

In the original suttas, only Nibbana is the unborn & undying.
    "Now what do you think of this, O monks? Is consciousness permanent or impermanent?"

"Impermanent, O Lord."

"Now, what is impermanent, is that unsatisfactory or satisfactory?"

"Unsatisfactory, O Lord."

"Now, what is impermanent, unsatisfactory, subject to change, is it proper to regard it as: 'This is mine, this I am, this is my self'?"

"Indeed, not that, O Lord."

"Therefore, surely, O monks, whatever consciousness, past, future or present, internal or external, coarse or fine, low or lofty, far or near, all consciousness must be regarded with proper wisdom, according to reality, thus: 'This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.mend.html
    "It would be better for the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person to hold to the body composed of the four great elements, rather than the mind, as the self. Why is that? Because this body composed of the four great elements is seen standing for a year, two years, three, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, a hundred years or more. But what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another. Just as a monkey, swinging through a forest wilderness, grabs a branch. Letting go of it, it grabs another branch. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. In the same way, what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.061.than.html
    On that occasion the Lord was instructing... the bhikkhus with a Dhamma talk connected with Nibbana, and those bhikkhus... were intent on listening to Dhamma.

Then, on realizing its significance, the Lord uttered on that occasion this inspired utterance:

There is, bhikkhus, a not-born, a not-brought-to-being, a not-made, a not-conditioned. If, bhikkhus, there were no not-born, not-brought-to-being, not-made, not-conditioned, no escape would be discerned from what is born, brought-to-being, made, conditioned. But since there is a not-born, a not-brought-to-being, a not-made, a not-conditioned, therefore an escape is discerned from what is born, brought-to-being, made, conditioned.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.8.03.irel.html
    "And what is the noble search? There is the case where a person, himself being subject to birth, seeing the drawbacks of birth, seeks the unborn, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Nibbana. Himself being subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeing the drawbacks of aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeks the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less, undefiled, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Nibbana. This is the noble search.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.026.than.html

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    ...teachings on rebirth say "consciousness" is what transmigrates to the new life form.
    It's easy to come away with the wrong impression about this, because the postmortem-rebirth theories are so vague on exactly what does transmigrate from life to life. In fact, the teachings explicitly say that consciousness does not transmigrate from life to life:
    ...this evil view had arisen to a bhikkhu, named Sàti the son of a fisherman: 'As I know the Teaching of the Blessed One, this consciousness transmigrates through existences, not anything else'.
    This is incorrect. Satis error is thinking it's the SAME consciousness which continues.

P

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    What is "reborn" is karma & the results of karma.
    The Lord Buddha emphasised karma is reborn.

Yes, and there are regular references to this in the suttas. Here is just one example:

MN136

15. (i) "Now, Ananda, there is the person who has killed living beings here... has had wrong view. And on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in the states of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell.[But (perhaps) the evil kamma producing his suffering was done by him earlier, or the evil kamma producing his suffering was done by him later, or wrong view was undertaken and completed by him at the time of his death.[8] And that was why, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappeared in the states of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell. But since he has killed living beings here... has had wrong view, he will feel the result of that here and now, or in his next rebirth, or in some subsequent existence."

• "he reappears in the states of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell."

"He reappears..."?
  • This is incorrect. Satis error is thinking it's the SAME consciousness which continues.
    You appear to be confused about what transmigration means, or perhaps are reacting to ancillary aspects of my response without keeping the question in the OP in mind.

Without identification of consciousness from life to life, there's no transmigration of consciousness.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    In Buddhism it's said there is no self. Yet teachings on rebirth say "consciousness" is what transmigrates to the new life form. Is this a semantic game--is "consciousness" another word for "self"? Or are they different, and if so, how?
    The Buddha did not teach "rebirth" and "not-self" together.

So you think he would have been lying to the "ordinary people"? Talking about rebirth while he doesn't think it exists?

Why would he do that? Do you think a Buddha even has the opportunity to lie? I don't think so. Having completed the 8-fold path, lying is impossible. Just to change his teachings to the likings of the ones listening is therefore no option. He was a rebel, never believing anyone. If he concluded during his enlightenment that there was no after-life rebirth, he would just have said that.

The topic of rebirth and no-self do not interfere with each other. They describe the exact same thing. An essential part of karma is the attachment to life. If this attachment is still there, the karma won't just disappear after a body dies.