Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Always loved this quote =)

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited March 2011 in Arts & Writings
So just try and relax, yeah cool it
Fall apart in my backyard
'Cause let me tell you something little britches
If you act like that bee acts, uh uh
You're working too hard

And don't spend your time lookin' around
For something you want that can't be found
When you find out
you can live without it
And go along
not thinkin' about it
I'll tell you something true

The bare necessities of life will come to you

-The Jungle Book by Disney

Comments

• T- would you say that to a homeless family with children?

And this looks like General Banter to me.

Now I need somebody to come along and tell me I'd be heavy-handed if I was a moderator.

That guy that got so frustrated with "fluff" last week and came and went in one day wasn't entirely wrong.

Call me a crabby old man. I lost a job two years ago because I wouldn't commit fraud and was homeless part of the time. It's a nice thought, T, but life just doesn't always work like that.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    T- would you say that to a homeless family with children?
    Did he?

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    T- would you say that to a homeless family with children?

And this looks like General Banter to me.

Now I need somebody to come along and tell me I'd be heavy-handed if I was a moderator.

That guy that got so frustrated with "fluff" last week and came and went in one day wasn't entirely wrong.

Call me a crabby old man. I lost a job two years ago because I wouldn't commit fraud and was homeless part of the time. It's a nice thought, T, but life just doesn't always work like that.
    i felt the point was more about realization of what the bare necessities are. this seems to be the point most people miss.
  • @sharabdorje

It's just a simple children's song ... your negativity is uninspiring.

I forgot to put it in general banter. My bad.
  • It was rhetorical of course. My point is that it may or may not work as a general philosophy of life. But he put it out there for comment. Some of us have bogeymen. So it was at least in part addressed to those of us with bogeymen. I have been homeless, so to T's post I say, that's nice that you like that but it's fluff.
  • Negativity can be very inspiring. I had my first experience of clear light when I was homeless. It's generally been a good motivation to practice. I mean, life is suffering, right?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, Life contains suffering.
    "If you can meet with triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two Impostors just the same...."

You can either look at it and thing it's all sh*t, or you can look at it, and think how great the roses are going to look.
    And SD - yes, I have been homeless, penniless and destitute too.
    Life is still tough.
    But I'm still defiantly shaking my fist at it, and yelling, "Bring it on....!"
  • Interesting reading people's comments. I come from an affluent family and I am in my 20's with a high level of education. I've recently been tempted to willingly become homeless. I want to discover the value of life when all other value has been striped away. But I think the reality of being homeless is probably not something I am prepared for, nor something I should rationally seek out.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Interesting reading people's comments. I come from an affluent family and I am in my 20's with a high level of education. I've recently been tempted to willingly become homeless. I want to discover the value of life when all other value has been striped away. But I think the reality of being homeless is probably not something I am prepared for, nor something I should rationally seek out.
    the buddha did, lol.
  • edited March 2011
    Good point. I think the buddha left to become an ascetic, which wasn't so uncommon at the time. That meant that he basically purposefully sought out discomfort and pain. But then he discovered the middle way - neither purposefully seeking discomfort and pain, nor purposefully seeking comfort and pleasure.

Living the middle way sure seems tough in our current economic/cultural climate. I think its a worthy goal to aspire to, just less clear how to go about doing it.
  • I think that intentional homelessness is definately not taking the Middle Path. Perhaps just try to find simple lodgings, maybe a small studio apartment in a less than affluent part of town, and simplifying your posessions.
    Good point. I think the buddha left to become an ascetic, which wasn't so uncommon at the time. That meant that he basically purposefully sought out discomfort and pain. But then he discovered the middle way - neither purposefully seeking discomfort and pain, nor purposefully seeking comfort and pleasure.

Living the middle way sure seems tough in our current economic/cultural climate. I think its a worthy goal to aspire to, just less clear how to go about doing it.
    you're right, i was being smart. :) but the way you described your life, it seemed impossible for me not to draw that parallel.

perhaps the middle way for you is not to receive any help from your family and truly learn what it means to "make it on your own"? this reminds me of a book called "Nickle and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America." it's about a woman who took minimum wage jobs and tried to really live on such small funds to see what kind of struggle many americans are forced to deal with. you might find it interesting to read.

http://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Dimed-Not-Getting-America/dp/0805063897
  • No, Life contains suffering.
    "If you can meet with triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two Impostors just the same...."

You can either look at it and thing it's all sh*t, or you can look at it, and think how great the roses are going to look.
    And SD - yes, I have been homeless, penniless and destitute too.
    Life is still tough.
    But I'm still defiantly shaking my fist at it, and yelling, "Bring it on....!"
    That last line creates a great mental picture for me federica. Discussions like these about basic needs lead me to think in terms such as those captured in theories like Maslow's hierachy of needs .... our greatest and most pressing needs ( air, food, shelter ) to be met first before we can encounter the higher up needs

• Interesting reading people's comments. I come from an affluent family and I am in my 20's with a high level of education. I've recently been tempted to willingly become homeless. I want to discover the value of life when all other value has been striped away. But I think the reality of being homeless is probably not something I am prepared for, nor something I should rationally seek out.
    Why not to stay where you are and use your privileged situation to have a good life and at the same time help others?

• I think that intentional homelessness is definately not taking the Middle Path.

:clap: