Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hello Everyone

edited December 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I'm not new to Buddhism, but I did stop my study and practice not too long ago.
I'm interested in once again returning to dharma practice.
Any way to do this besides just picking up where I left off,
and how should I work out a meditation routine?

Thanks.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    Some would argue you never left, because according to Buddhism, every being has Buddha-Nature, inherently.... So while you may think you left IT, as you can see, IT never left YOU.... :)

A meditation routine is one which requires self-discipline, in that you have to decide to meditate perhaps for ten minutes in the morning, (not too long, or you may see it as a chore...) then work up time if you want.... Mornings are best, especially early... later on, "Life" is apt to interfere, and in the evening, you'll be tired, so try that for a start.

Welcome.......back!! :)
  • edited December 2005
    haha thank you very much.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Hello, Craig.
  • edited December 2005
    Hello Craig! Nice to meet you!

You know, I often hear that morning is the best time for meditation, but I have never been able to pull it off. I'm always inclined to fall back asleep, and my mind is muddy, making it difficult to concentrate. The best times for me have always been early afternoon and early evening. Anyone have any suggestions on being clearer in the mornings?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    Some people are 'morning' people, others are 'night' people. If you find a good system, stick with it. It matters not whether it 'conforms' to what others do, just go with what you know to be best for you.... ;)
  • edited December 2005
    welcome aboard, Craig
    i'm new too. these people have been a great source of information and inspiration.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2005
    Craig,

A good way to start is:

"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas." - Dhp XIV.183

Wise words to live by.

:)

Jason