Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Be like the buddha

edited March 2011 in Philosophy
I would say we all aspire to be like the buddha. So, let's get into the mindset of the buddha. The buddha has nothing he must do. Nothing to achieve. No realizations that must be had. He could be anywhere from the lowest "hell realms"(you don't have to take these realms literally) to the highest "god realms" and he would still have nothing to do. He's arrived. He only does what he feels is appropriate for the situation, but in truth has nothing which he must do. If he has something to do, even to "be the buddha," then he is no buddha. So, by trying to "be the buddha" or anything else you may try to do, you are simply creating karma and trapping yourself in the samsaric cycle of birth and death. For one enlightened, a buddha, a bodhisattva, a master, whatever, there is nothing to do, including playing the part of an enlightened person, for to do so is, well, unenlightened. You cannot be these things if you try to be these things, for these people do not try to be these things, and to do so would go against the nature of what they are trying to be. So, simply be yourself. Be someone who has nothing to do. Do what you feel is appropriate in the situation, but know there is nothing you must do. Quite simply, be the buddha. Or, if you're more comfortable, be like the buddha.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    OMHO, this could be very confusing for beginners. This describes advanced principles that may conceivably be examined in advanced Zen.

Just saying.

Is that you, TJ?
  • True, I guess buddhism for beginners wasn't the best section...but I forget cuz they all just are together on the main page.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    It'll probably probably be moved.
  • When I read this title it made me think of the old "I wanna be Like Mike" slogan :p
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    "Do what you feel is appropriate in the situation, but know there is nothing you must do. Quite simply, be the buddha."

Right.
    Who says Buddhism needs to be complicated?
  • "Do what you feel is appropriate in the situation, but know there is nothing you must do. Quite simply, be the buddha."

Right.
    Who says Buddhism needs to be complicated?
    Some people need complicated ideas, because they have complicated minds. It is the purpose of these complicated ideas to get us to a place of simplicity.

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    :thumbsup:
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I gave up aspiring to be the Buddha, instead I decided to be purely myself. I decided to live as I should, as I feel that the human in me should. Nothing more, nothing less. I feel these experiences that a human goes through are utterly necessary to my own well being, but I hold no one else to this... or perhaps I do, for what I said applies to everyone in their own way, for how we live is who we are.

There are things we can do, and there are things we cannot do. Accepting this and realizing that Pain and being hurt and let down are in fact, wonderful experiences. What I mean by this is that even though we feel pain and disappointment, accepting and embracing it leads to overall happiness.

I am not Buddha, you are not Buddha. Buddha is human. We are human.
  • I like that analysis Zayl
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Just a reminder to the OP that we are attempting to interpret Buddha's motives and behaviors after 2,400+ years.
  • So, simply be yourself.
    Sounds like wishing to think one is enlightened and the same as the Buddha.

How many times have I read this before.

:coffee:
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    ...there is nothing to do, including playing the part of an enlightened person...
    This sounds like getting caught in the game that is being preached to avoid...

The Buddha said: "He/she who sees the Dhamma, sees the Buddha".

The Buddha is not "simply being yourself". The Buddha is being in tune with Nature.

When in tune with Nature, one is more "simple" than "being yourself".

One, or the mind, is grounded, like earth, and in tune with all the inevitable change.

All the best

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Some details are being checked.
    Closing this thread for the time being.
This discussion has been closed.