Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Odd flashes of light?

edited March 2011 in Meditation
I just had a really nice 15-20 mins of meditation and I feel better for it, but I couldnt help noticing something:

When I was getting further into it, my sensing of what was around me kept dipping, and then suddenly, I would come back to clarity. This was occasionally accompanied by a flash of light. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Yup, just your brain getting used to the lack of stimuli and exciting your senses.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Could be the mind trying to unify (jhana). That happens in part when you let go of each of the senses, which you may be doing incidentally rather than purposely.
  • don't make anything of it. just keep meditating.
  • Could be the mind trying to unify (jhana). That happens in part when you let go of each of the senses, which you may be doing incidentally rather than purposely.
    Isnt that taboo for some reason?
    Also, it sometimes happens as I fall asleep.

In a video I saw - I think it was hermitwin's, he said that you need to be very experienced, and it takes hours of meditation to reach jhana.
    don't make anything of it. just keep meditating.
    Its hella distracting though, but I shall do that.
  • Flashes of light can indicate a retinal tear in one of the eyes, or other conditions. - Please check "What causes eye flashes " at the link, just to be on the safe side.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/spotsfloats.htm
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    It's taboo to make a big deal out of jhanas as if they're attainments. More taboo is to claim enlightenment. Jhana is just a concentrated state of mind, of unity, it's no big deal and with practice it's not too difficult. I'm not saying that's what you experienced, just maybe what the mind was headed toward.
  • Flashes of light can indicate a retinal tear in one of the eyes, or other conditions. - Please check "What causes eye flashes " at the link, just to be on the safe side.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/spotsfloats.htm
    It only happens when Im meditating or falling asleep though