Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

In tech age of blogs/sites, what constitutes original thought? Legalities.

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited March 2011 in Arts & Writings
I would like to learn about web design. Buddhism or psychology or both is my first thought. So of course I will research these. But when I put together a resource what are my responsibilities as far as legalities? I imagine I should give citations.

I am in the United States, though I don't know if there is an international law on the net.

In particular suppose I 'digest' some knowledge from my readings. At what point does it become my independent thought?

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Well, as long as you don't plagiarize or use copy-written work, you should be fine. Unless the stuff is royalty-free, or you get permission from the creator.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    That's a good subject for contemplation. Where does the world leave off and you begin? Where does what you see, taste, touch, smell and hear (esp. concerning the words and thoughts of others, what you're taught) become your independent thought, as opposed to a continuation of a stream already in progress? Think about that. ;)
  • Good exercise Cloud. The counterpoint would be that the authorities and courts don't know about non-self!
  • Coming from a college student's perspective, citations are probably your best bet, honestly. Psychologists usually use APA format for their citations. Hope this helps. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2011
    My partner just completed a 4-year Law degree.

Every piece of work he submitted must have consisted of at least two pages of footnotes citing references and original sources/authors.
    In detail.
    This was compulsory, and compiling these footnotes alone probably took a good hour of his time.

In law, plagiarism is a serious topic.

This is another reason why members here are urged to offer citations, references original links or quotation details, in order to ensure that their understanding comes from a separate source.