Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Has anyone made you seem like a fool?

footiamfootiam Veteran
edited March 2011 in Philosophy
Has anyone made you seem like a fool or said you say foolish things and asked you to shut up? How do you deal with this? How can Buddhism help you in a situation like this?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Nobody has ever made me seem like a fool.

The only person who has ever made me look foolish and say foolish things - is me.

Study Right Speech, practice the Fourth Precept assiduously.

Problem = solution.
    There you have it, in a nutshell.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi footiam,

Yes they did, of course. Everybody has encountered this one way or the other, I guess. It can sometimes hurt you quite a bit, doesn't it?

At times I didn't say anything stupid and it was mainly the anger of the other person that made them say that. Then automatically I started to get kind of angry back at them or maybe even doubting my own words. But at a certain point I started think: How sad for you to be that angry to me about something I said. I hope you are well and learn to be at peace.

But sometimes I did say or do foolish things and I have to accept they are right. That's an opportunity for me to learn and I'm very thankful when people correct me. That way I might never say or do the same stupid thing again. Buddhism is about learning from every opportunity you get. If your life would have been smooth sailing you wouldn't learn a damn thing, so be thankful for the harder moments. Sometimes you have to drive through a valley to reach a higher peak. At those times it might be useful to say: I hope I am well and at peace

As long as you keep on learning and accepting this way, you'll be fine.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    The word foolish implies two things, that the thing said is incorrect and that it somehow causes shame for the sayer. Anyone can say things that are incorrect and all that is needed is a gentle correction to be accepted with good grace and all is right again. The shameful aspect is more problematic as it involves the ego.

When we say something that damages our self image in this way it can only hurt us if we let it. Accepting that everyone says things out of ignorance occasionally and just admitting that you were mistaken or speaking usupported opinion allows you to learn from it and get on with life. Trying to maintain a spotless image in your own and others eyes is a recipe for stress and anxiety. Sounds easy but it's proving incredibly difficult to put into practice from my own experience :D

And anyone who maintains there is such a thing as a foolish question is completely wrong and probably doesn't ask enough questions.
  • Nope, nobody ever has. Nobody needs to, I make myself look foolish enough.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I think it depends on who is correcting you and what their motives are. This is where a good teacher comes in very handy because their motive is to help you and not bolster their own ego. Accomplished Buddhist teachers are not only good making you seem like a fool, but actually pointing out the fact you really are a fool. What can you do, you can accept the fact that they are correct in determining that you are a fool and practice not doing those foolish things anymore. The Zen Master that occasionally visits here makes me seem foolish all the time! But then again, that is his job to begin with. :)
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I am my biggest problem, don't need anyone else to do it for me :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yeah, I said that too.

Seems people still like to deflect somehow, and put it "out there" when in fact, all perception, all understanding, all processing, actually happens "in here".
  • No I'm not a fool because I rule the school and am cool :cool:
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Being a fool can be a valuable lesson depending on where you are. If you're beginning you can use it to help generate right view, action and speech. If you are more advanced you can use it to investigate the clinging to self that occurs when your ashamed. You could look at the self aversion resulting from shame. You could also investigate the nature of shame and the observer (duality) of shame. You could look for the external cause and look for the internal cause. And if a meditator is at the right stage they can either transform the emotions to the path or self liberate it.

Sometimes I think it may even be beneficial if I was foolish but I cling to myself too much to deliberately do something like that. So it only happens by accident or ignorance. When it does I'm usually too self obsessed to try any of the above methods :) . But the good thing about shame is that it leaves a strong residue, so if you have sufficient meditative stability you can bring up thoughts of the shame from that stable base and use the above, or other, methods to investigate it. So you may not be able to benefit immediately, but can benefit at a later point in time.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    I agree with Fede - only me.
  • Dear federica,
    Yeah, I believe you.

Dear Sabre,
    It does hurt. We are only human. Wonder Buddha ever felt hurt, too.
    And I like your way at looking at this problem. I suppose it would right to say that we have to be mindful about this situation. In any case, if we did do foolish things, it would be okay to be correctly with nice words but then the world does not work that way. Sometimes, as you say, the other party could be the foolish one and in a case when they find fault with us, it would be good to be mindful of what I think is in the Dhammapada, something about being a fool who does not know about his own foolishness is a fool indeed or something like that.

Dear ZenBadger,
    If there are foolish questions, then there are foolish answers. If you say that there is no such thing as a foolish question, then there should be no foolish answers. Now, if the same question is asked twice, would you think that is foolish?

Dear StaticToybox,
    Sometimes, it does not pay to be mindful, yeah?

Dear seeker242,
    I don’t like the idea of Buddhist teachers who actually pointed out the fact that you are a fool. I think that’s not very nice.

Dear The swing is yellow,
    Do you think there should be a teacher to do this job?

Dear Jeffrey,
    Hey, I was just thinking of something in the Dhammapada about a fool who doesn’t know he is a fool. I think that line is cool!

Dear Whoknows,
    I suppose that’s why the king needs a court jester! It’s good to be foolish at times. It could be a teacher as you say! Probably, it is all right then to say silly comments in a forum like this unless one fears being ticked off.

Dear GuyC,

The ‘I’ has always been the problem!
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    The ‘I’ has always been the problem!
    Indeed. :)
  • Dear footiam,

Sometimes judgement is a good thing and I wish I were more sensitive
    edited March 2011
    >Dear seeker242,
    I don’t like the idea of Buddhist teachers who actually pointed out the fact that you are a fool. I think that’s not very nice.

Of course they don't come out and insult you and say "you're a fool you idiot!" They show you where you have strayed off the path, which is a very nice thing to do, because it helps you get back on the path. That is what teachers are for, that's their job. And then you usually say something like "Wow, yea, I really did stray off the path. I've been acting like such a fool. I better stop acting that way.".
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    footiam said:
    "Do you think there should be a teacher to do this job?"

My problems and where I stumble are my teacher:)
  • Dear GuyC,
    Would that mean mean if a person get rid of the ‘I”, he is getting rid of the foolishness?

Dear Jeffrey ,
    Being mindful perhaps would be better than being sensitive. What do you think?

Dear seeker242,
    You mean ‘tactful’? That probably needs a skill.

Dear The swing is yellow,
    Sometimes we stumble but we think we are in Disneyland and may even think that’s heaven.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Footiam,
    Dear GuyC,
    Would that mean mean if a person get rid of the ‘I”, he is getting rid of the foolishness?
    In theory: perhaps.

In my experience: I don't know, I haven't overcome conceit yet. There are moments in my life though where I am not thinking about myself, those are the most peaceful and least problematic times...this is possibly a taste of what Enlightenment is.

Metta,

Guy
  • Dear Guy,

If you recognize conceit, most probably you could overcome it.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Dear Guy,

If you recognize conceit, most probably you could overcome it.
    Agreed. :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    What if I make myself seem like a fool? ;)
  • Dear StaticToybox,
    Sometimes, it does not pay to be mindful, yeah?
    Huh? I literally do not get what you're saying in regards to what I posted.
    I don't know, I haven't overcome conceit yet.
    Sometimes conceit is more of a reflection of a negative self image. When we try to be, in our own eyes, bold or assertive, our negative perception colours this as conceit. So if we are mindful of conceit then the next question is whether it is actually conceit that we are mindful of, or something else.

Maybe the feelings of conceit are the actual error, or in relation to OP the foolishness is the error not the action. I'm not trying to explain away foolishness or conceitedness only that there may be legitimate times when the actions performed are neither of the above but we still feel the negative connotations of these two poisons.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Whoknows,
    Sometimes conceit is more of a reflection of a negative self image.
    What I am speaking of as "conceit" is the conceit "I am"...not necessarily "I am a bad person" or "I am a good person", but the whole phenomena of "I-making" in the first place.

Metta,

Guy
    Hi Whoknows,
    Sometimes conceit is more of a reflection of a negative self image.
    What I am speaking of as "conceit" is the conceit "I am"...not necessarily "I am a bad person" or "I am a good person", but the whole phenomena of "I-making" in the first place.

Metta,

Guy
    Oh, that's interesting. Is that common terminology for self referencing or self bias? It seems rather strong terminology at least when translated into English. I always thought conceit pointed to something stronger. So you're referring to māno (just Wiki'ed it). Thanks for letting me know!
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited March 2011
    footiam,

I love the quote "If you put people on a pedestal, expect to be kicked in the face."

When I notice I am feeling "foolish" in response to someone else's words, I am reminded that seeking self-esteem or self-efficacy from an external appraisal is ridiculous, and means I am trying to make something "about me" that isn't.

I'm also reminded of a story of Trungpa's early days in western culture. When he would speak the dharma, people would literally get up and start yelling at him. He would smile with equanimity. His roots were still deep at that point.

There are some who poke at us, and when it happens we do feel some foolishness. Then insight, then gratitude. We don't want pride, or self, or to externalize our sense of esteem... and like a river eroding rock, these pokes erode our ego. Let them come! Then, continue to do our best with what we have and keep growing... and when our roots are deep, pride abated, and ego silent, we won't feel foolishness. Only insight, only gratitude.

With warmth,

Matt

Dear seeker242,
    You mean ‘tactful’? That probably needs a skill.
    Most teachers have a great deal of skill when it comes to this sort of thing. :)

• Footiam,

Sensitivity that I am thinking of in addition to the common vernacular is the balancing of two Indriyas. The two are prajna (information) with sradda (embodying or faith). Just having the prajna of what is needed is one side and thats where I have failed in the past. Being too caught in ideas. The sradda overload would be when you are overly carrying of a current without responding to new situations. That happens too.

The other two indriya balance is common in the Sano's lute story. Too concentrated versus too energetic. Concentration in excess can be a dull state. Energy in excess can be spinning out of control and loss of earth.

These 4 indriyas are balanced by more mindfulness smirti. But all 3 balanced 'pods' are always active all at once. Your right the key is mindfulness.

And equanimity my friend.
  • Dear Cloud,
    hat if I make myself seem like a fool?
    If we had made ourselves seem like a fool and know it, then we are wise to a certain extent.

Dear StaticToybox,
    We would not feel nice if we are mindful enough to know that we ourselves have made ourselves look foolish.

Dear Whoknows and GuyC,
    Don’t you guys think this idea of conceit can besubjective? Just like one man’s meat is another man’s poison?

Dear aMatt,
    Thanks for that – I take it to mean that those people who make us seem like a fool are actually our Dhamma teachers!

Dear seeker242,
    That’s why they are the teachers and we are the students.

Dear Jeffrey,
    There are many ‘Greek’ words here that I don’t understand but I do find that interesting – that too much concentration could be dull. Middle path, perhaps?