Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where is the data of web physically stored?

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited March 2011 in General Banter
Just curious about this.. I was thinking of setting up a website and I wondered if there would ever be a limit to the size of the web.

Comments

• The data is stored on servers. It would probably take forever to fill all the servers that have ever been built or are being built.
  • The 'size' of the web is limited by the number of IP addresses available. We're suposedly running out of them, but we're also switching to IPv6, which will solve the IP problem.

Your current internet connection is associated with an IP address. You can actually store stuff on your computer and make it available to the web right now. All you need is the right software, and you can host your own website from your own computer. Proper web servers work pretty much the same way, but they are dedicated for the purpose, so they have a very good internet connection and lots of physical storage and memory.

When you see website domains like newbuddhist.com that's actually an address that refers back to the IP address of where this web site is hosted. The domain names are controlled by certain organizations, so you can buy one right now, link it to your computer and you're got a web server with it's own domain name.

Any questions?
  • If you would like to give it a go, XAMPP is an easy to use server package. It's all free, open source and well documented with lots of community support if you need it.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
  • Thanks!
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    NewBuddhist is on a server in Ann Arbor, Michigan I believe.

While there is no practical storage limit, I do try to keep space consumption down because it makes dealing with backups a huge pain.
  • should I select Apache, MySQL, or Filezilla in the service section?
  • Just Apache. That's the actual web server.

MySQL is a database service which you can use to store usernames, password and all kinds of variable data. It gets complicated, so avoid it for now.

Filezilla is an FTP server I believe, which allows you to remotely transfer files. You might want that to update your website from remote locations, but you don't need that yet.
  • edited March 2011
    Eventually? In a converted salt mine. Hey! Would be a great place for a major party or to meditate for a couple of days. Either way. :D

http://www.undergroundvaults.com/index.php

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Shift,

I tried to create an account to their forum but it believes my e-mail already has an account. Of course I tried to 'find password' for the dastardly person who was using MY account, but it says there is no such e-mail.

Do you have any idea how I may contact the site?

I got port 80 and whatever removed from Skype, but I don't really know what to do in the XAMPP control panel to get started..

It says Apache service started.
  • FileZilla is a software that you can use for uploading or downloading to FTP servers.
  • Go to your web browser and go to http:\\localhost

what do you see?
  • oops they sent me an email and I didn't realize... I'm think I'll be set now.. sorry