Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Effectiveness of Mudras

edited March 2011 in Philosophy
Hello, I have a question about the use of mudras to enhance well being.

I am interested in their use in mostly non-meditative format. So holding a mudra during work, problem solving or walking etc. From what I understand, touching of fingers in a certain way activates different parts of the brain.

The more I look into it, the subject appears to be very complex. There are Hindu, Buddhist from India, China and Japan etc forms of mudras.

Could anyone please share their experience on the use of mudras? Thanks very much.

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Maybe one topic could be: are the effects claimed by this real? What is people's experience?
  • I can definitely feel the difference in hand positions while
    Meditating. Also, there is some evidence regarding body posture and psychology.
  • they are very effective at what may be their main purpose: regulating prana (unconverted energy).

sometimes, when not meditating I start doing mudras... maybe to feel better.
  • I've been experimenting and know that something is happening. I'll try to come up with a good way to explain, but its probably best to just relax and play with different mudras. Just experiment and you will know what is working ...
    I'm so glad you asked because it will prompt me to focus on the/my specifics of this a bit more.
    Peace.
  • In the last few days, I experimented with a few mudras with interesting results.

read quite a bit and ordered a few books from Amazon. Buddha understood the importance and workings of mudras. but alas much of this knowledge has been lost. very complex subject. I read a study how the different mudras activate different areas of the brain, much like words or images. read about the healing hands and Reiki.

As others suggested, best to experiment with basic forms and see what works.

I seem to like the stealth nature of mudras, that i am able to do it while commuting, in meetings, at work etc...

Thanks. All the best.
  • is there any documentation on doing mudras with an astral hand?
    ...some mudras are not that stealthy.