Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mantra Meditation? How??

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited March 2011 in Meditation
Mantra Meditation? How??

Comments

• you repeat any word you want a lot. first speaking the word, then allowing it to repeat in your mind.

the point is to keep the mind occupied with the repetition mantra. and you periodically ask yourself who is aware of the mantra. so it's direct pointing to your awareness.

another way to look at it is to make the mind drunk on the mantra. and eventually you will get the point of the mantra going by itself without your help. then you're just aware of the mantra, whether in meditation or everyday activities.

it's a good technique for those who have racing minds. it helps quiet the mind and is a great prep for other forms of meditation.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    you repeat any word you want a lot. first speaking the word, then allowing it to repeat in your mind.

the point is to keep the mind occupied with the repetition mantra. and you periodically ask yourself who is aware of the mantra. so it's direct pointing to your awareness.

another way to look at it is to make the mind drunk on the mantra. and eventually you will get the point of the mantra going by itself without your help. then you're just aware of the mantra, whether in meditation or everyday activities.

it's a good technique for those who have racing minds. it helps quiet the mind and is a great prep for other forms of meditation.
    Thank you!
    What kind of word? Or words?
  • Thanks guys, Leon for asking and taiyaki for the info! I am bi polar so simple clearing my mind is very difficult. I think that by repeating something it will gently keep my crazy brain in check. I'm not sure what word to use yet. Ever since I was a child though I have noticed that repeating the word spoon had some great results in terms of breaking down the word. I feel like I am rambling.
    With love, Jen
    Thanks guys, Leon for asking and taiyaki for the info! I am bi polar so simple clearing my mind is very difficult. I think that by repeating something it will gently keep my crazy brain in check. I'm not sure what word to use yet. Ever since I was a child though I have noticed that repeating the word spoon had some great results in terms of breaking down the word. I feel like I am rambling.
    With love, Jen
    Welcome!
    And thanks for checking in!:)
    Hopefully we can find some answers from the awesome crowd we have here on NB:)
  • coca cola. your name. ram. buddha. hari krishna. gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhisatva.

any word you want lol.
    edited March 2011
    coca cola. your name. ram. buddha. hari krishna. gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhisatva.

any word you want lol.
    Like I want sex, I want sex, is okay too?
  • Thanks guys, Leon for asking and taiyaki for the info! I am bi polar so simple clearing my mind is very difficult. I think that by repeating something it will gently keep my crazy brain in check. I'm not sure what word to use yet. Ever since I was a child though I have noticed that repeating the word spoon had some great results in terms of breaking down the word. I feel like I am rambling.
    With love, Jen
    You are not bi-polar.

Bi-polar is a label which you have adopted as being part of your sense of self.

The word "bi-polar" is nothing more than an attempt to categorize some personality trait which you or some external source believes you exhibit.

Nothing more than a mind made concept. A judgment.

You are, as you are.

...What I have learned along the way....

• words have no meaning other than the meanings give them.

they describe reality. they themselves aren't reality. so whatever works.

the word or the meaning of the word really doesn't matter. because the idea is to use a thought and repeat it. simple as that. then you shift your association with thought to awareness.

good luck
  • Hi,

You might find the mantra "Buddho" helpful. More info at the link :

http://amaravati.org/abmtrial/documents/mindful/05ins2.html

With kind wishes,

D.
    With love, Jen
    You are not bi-polar.

The word "bi-polar" is nothing more than an attempt to categorize some personality trait which you or some external source believes you exhibit.

You are, as you are.

This is irresponsible. We take conditions such as this very seriously here and recommend that the person with the condition seek the best available professional help.

Jen and Leon- as I write this, I just got up, but I will look for a site I know that has a lot of mantras and their explanations on it later today....

Peace to all and welcome aboard to jgpp...

Thanks guys, Leon for asking and taiyaki for the info! I am bi polar so simple clearing my mind is very difficult. I think that by repeating something it will gently keep my crazy brain in check. I'm not sure what word to use yet. Ever since I was a child though I have noticed that repeating the word spoon had some great results in terms of breaking down the word. I feel like I am rambling.
    With love, Jen
    You are not bi-polar.

You are, as you are.

Beautiful!
    It sounds like ADHD and ADD is the same thing...
    Our thoughts!
  • @Leon- the difference is "only" that between Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Attention Deficit Disorder, which is to say that Attention Def
    @Leon- the difference is "only" that between Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Attention Deficit Disorder, which is to say that Attention Def
    Meaning?
  • @Leon- the difference is "only" that between Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Attention Deficit Disorder, which is to say that Attention Deficit Disorder can happen and the child (usually, some adults have it too) remains "quiet" and "well-behaved", and for that reason may go undiagnosed.

The topics of ADD and ADHD are entirely separate from bipolar, and I suggest that the subject of ADD is much less exact than bipolar and therefore given more to the "labeling" that is described above. Bipolar is often pretty obvious, either in its symptomatology or the change that comes about with treatment, and ADD/ADHD is much less obvious in this regard.

My brother calls it Attention Advantage Disorder. A therapist told me "some of us are hunters and some of us are gatherers", and that could account for some of what is seen and labeled.

This is not so much so in bipolar. I myself have seen full-blown cases of bipolar mania, and seen those same cases treated (I'm a Registered Nurse), and I can tell you that bipolar is definitely real and not just a label. It needs to be treated well and responsibly. That's why I posted so firmly above. Bipolar is definitely not just a label- it needs the right treatment.

But we digress- the thread is about mantra meditation. I would guess that mantra meditation might help someone who is "feeling a little manicky", that is, they may be having a "slightly bad day or time of day" and mantra may help, but mantra is no substitute for proper treatment in bipolar.

Mantras, anyone?
  • Well I appreciate the opinions. But I am diagnosed with bi polar disorder. Maybe they are just words. But it is very serious. I have attempts suicide on multiple accounts due to the state of my mind. I take 6 pills twice a day to be "normal" as I said I appreciate the opinions and I understand the thoughts you are trying to evoke. But this IS medical condition.
  • I don't mean to sound harsh or to emanate self pity.... All I am saying is that it is more serious than a label.
  • edited March 2011
    I don’t think that we should council or give advice on here to medical conditions.
    I understand where you are coming from but trust me it can do more harm then good.
  • I don't mean to sound harsh or to emanate self pity.... All I am saying is that it is more serious than a label.
    My heart goes to you. Take care and look after yourself.

• Thank you ^_^ . I didn't mean to sound mean or angry. Don't worry I will and while medication is requires I will admit that Buddhism has also made a dent.
    With love, Jen
  • I don’t think that we should council or give advice on here to medical conditions.
    I understand where you are coming from but trust me it can do more harm then good.
    We don't.

• And what was this?
    You are not bi-polar.

You are, as you are.

I’ve noticed that many contributors on here hate categorization.

I respect it.

However, tell this to the patient who was diagnosed with the brain tumor and his neurosurgeon goes:

Hmmmmmm, what should I do? :scratch:

I don’t want to categorize and label.

Let me treat him for liver failure and let’s Karma take it course. :om:
  • To say to the person who suffers from bipolar:

''You are not bi-polar.

The word "bi-polar" is nothing more than an attempt to categorize some personality trait which you or some external source believes you exhibit. ''

It is the same as saying: Come on get a grip. Look you are not hungry, homeless.
    Enjoy life and stop your mood swings.

It does not acknowledge their suffering and does not give a practical advice.

Bipolar comes down to physiological pathology and no mantras or meditation will cure it. It might make symptoms more bearable but ONLY when the person is under medical supervision.
  • LeonBasin ,

I am so sorry; it seems that this tread is not about mantras.

I do apologize.

Moderators, any way to split it?
  • (...)
    Thank you!
    What kind of word? Or words?
    the brahmaviharas
  • Two of my favorites are the popular mantras Om Mani Padme Hum (tibetans prounonce it Om mani peme hung) this is the mantra of Avalokiteshvara or (Chenrezig) as well as Om Ah Hum Vajra Guru Padma Siddhi Hum (tibetans replace the Vajra with Benza)this is the mantra of padmasambhva i suggest reading about the meaning of the mantra. I'm sure you can find resources on the internet but personally i would suggest sogyal rinpoche's Tibetan book of the living and the dying Pages 386-393
  • Let's see if I can present my perspective (conditioned mind) in a different way.

I (mind made sense of self) am bi-polar (belief) so simple clearing (relative to a mind believed to be normal?) my mind (the mind of bi-polar belief) is very difficult.

I think that by repeating something it will gently keep my crazy brain (negative connotation? Possibly brought forth by being labeled bi-polar?) in check."

It just seems from Yacababys words, the guise of the psychiatric medical profession is ever present.

I too could pass for a wide variety of mental 'dis'orders. Just because one has been 'professionally' diagnosed does not mean one IS, IN ESSENCE, the diagnosed behavior. If the psychiatric profession chose to label you as stupid, you probably would chose not to believe it.

...I (mind made sense of self) AM NOT stupid!

One either accepts the label or rejects. In Yacababys case, it seems something about the label resonated with the minds made sense of self and so the IDEA of BEING bipolar is adopted.

//////// >>

I sometimes experience severe anxiety when dealing with people in my daily activities.

I do NOT HAVE Social Anxiety 'Dis'order.

I experience obsessive thoughts. I sometimes turn to compulsive behavior in efforts to rid my mind of those sometimes troublesome thoughts.

I do NOT HAVE Obsessive Compulsive 'Dis'order.

I often have nightmares of painful past experiences. These experiences are often dreadful and horrifying.

I do NOT HAVE Post traumatic Stress 'Dis'order

I have a hard time concentrating on one task at a time. I sometimes get really hyper for no apparent reason.

I do NOT HAVE Attention Deficit Hyper 'Dis'order

I sometimes experience the onset of severe mood swings which occur for no apparent reason(I can relate to this from personal EVERYDAY experience).

I do NOT HAVE Manic-Depressive 'Dis'order

I am not denying people have their personal "issues", "perceived problems", whatever one wants to call them. But to draw up characterizations and then label people with them can cause detrimental effects, in my opinion.

The use of labels with negative connotations ('dis'order) is very dangerous.

Yacababy - You ARE beautiful; with or without being 'bipolar'.

I'm hesitant to post this as I try to avoid conflict as much as possible. But there is an itch inside myself telling me to post this. So I shall post..

Again, what I post is a just a perspective.
    These are all just thoughts appearing in the wake of consciousness.
    I hope some of what I wrote makes sense.

:)

• The point is proper diagnosis and treatment. Your point about not using the psychiatric phenomenon as a personal label is taken, but quite honestly IMO, it's not as huge a deal as you make it.

If a person is receiving proper diagnosis and treatment for a psychological/psychiatric phenomenon, that's enough.

To avoid proper diagnosis and treatment of a psychiatric phenomenon that is severely disrupting a person's life is dangerous, and, IMO, ignorant.

It appears that being labeled with a psychiatric diagnosis is something you don't like. That's fine for you. For others, finding out that what is happening to them is a recognized and treatable phenomenon that has a name and a course and a treatment is often a great relief. For instance, I recently found out that I have either Complex PTSD or Disorder of Extreme Stress Not Otherwise Specified. It's a great relief to know that what is happening to me has a name, that it is a well-recognized phenomenon, and has a treatment. I don't let the label dictate my behavior or my response to life. On the contrary, I am greatly relieved because now I know there is a course of treatment for it.

IMHO, I don't think the whole idea of labeling is as big a deal as you're making it. It's like saying "I have the flu" or "I have a broken leg".

So IMHO, yes, it was pointless of you to post that because labeling is not such a big deal. And it's off-topic too. This thread is about mantras.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Mantras, anyone?
    Om Buddha
    Om Mani Padme Hum
  • Let's talk about mantras. :) if anyone wants to message me personally about the topic of labeling they are welcome to ^_^.