Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Questions about Swearing

I have noticed that people use the word "fecking" or "frickin" and i was wondering if because they are used as substitutes and essentially have the same meaning inst it then the same as using the actual word itself?

Comments

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    Yeah well, I agree. It's not the word itself but the intention behind the word. When I cuss I use my curse words with talent and finesse... Generally only when I get injured or some misfortune falls on me, then its mostly for comedic relief to help me feel better. For example, its dark in a room and I bang my knee on the bedframe, a few choice words said in the right tone will make me and others laugh and ease the tension of the situation.

However, whenever I am mad at someone or arguing I can never bring myself to curse at them, I don't know what it is but whenever I see the words forming in my head I stop myself, because when I swear at people I just feel so terrible and ashamed. However I will direct swear words at people if its all in good fun, though ;)

It's a complicated topic really.

TL;DR - It's the intent behind the word that counts.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @soul, Ah, but what is the meaning of a swear word? Have you ever thought of that? Do they actually have meaning other than as expressions of anger or discontent? I think the problem with "swear/curse words" is that they recognized as offensive and impolite on the societal level. It is the words themselves, those specific words, that are not tolerated well. They have religious connotations in many instances. And so it is not skillful to use these words in public situations (and if you use them at all, it'll become a trend and may slip out in public).

My old boss used to say "rats!", which made some people snicker, in place of a swear word. Does that make "rats!" as bad as the F-word? No. It's just an expression of anger or discontent, but not using a word that is considered to be offensive to many people. We all have such times that something is going to come out of our mouths in a moment of surprised anger (such as hitting yourself with a hammer by accident).
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    We've had quite a few threads on foul language.
    Many insist it's fine, others take offence, and others yet again, say that using substitutes is just as bad because people know what you're trying to say anyway.
    As a Moderator I find strong offensive and foul language in a post both unskilful and completely unnecessary. If you can't adequately express yourself on a Buddhist forum without using it, then perhaps it's worth examining cause and action...
    We also have minors as members, and while I am sure they hear far worse at school or amongst their friends, there's no justification that I can see as to why we should be unskilful in our approach.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    We've had quite a few threads on foul language.
    Many insist it's fine, others take offence, and others yet again, say that using substitutes is just as bad because people know what you're trying to say anyway.
    As a Moderator I find strong offensive and foul language in a post both unskilful and completely unnecessary. If you can't adequately express yourself on a Buddhist forum without using it, then perhaps it's worth examining cause and action...
    We also have minors as members, and while I am sure they hear far worse at school or amongst their friends, there's no justification that I can see as to why we should be unskilful in our approach.
    I'm with you on that last bit, I rarely if ever swear in a text format, since to me tone of voice and body-language is a major part of how the words can come across as something funny rather than purely offensive.
  • Social convention. Being polite and considerate of other people. Words can be used as weapons and intent is a big part of it. But, basically it's just being considerate of how other people feel.

• Some extremely funny and profound jokes just really depend on profanity to get their point across. Like the Al-anon joke in Infinite Jest.
  • (BTW, that link contains NSFW text.)
  • I swear like a sailor, and I really have to watch it because I'm so casual about it. But I find swear words amusing, as do a lot of people from my generation. My girlfriends favorite is "Pickle-Dick". She mutters it in frustration when the computer acts up. My sister likes to shout "Shut the Front Door" when she wants to be amusing. I use the f-bomb, and to lighten it's intention I'll pronounce it with a Boston or Irish accent. I also like to exclaim "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!", or "Bloody Mary mother of the baby Jesus, sweet baby Jesus where are my keys". I do it to get a laugh,and to vent frustration. But I have to be careful not use use swearing in anger, because it just makes me appear aggressive, hurtful and ignorant. I also have to watch it at work, because it makes me appear unprofessional, too crude and casual.
    However, my grandmother thinks all cuss words are terrible. Even crap, or damn. She says "You reflect your intelligence when you resort to those words." She'll slap or pinch you if you let any sort of dirty word slip. Really your intentions behind any spoken word will become apparent to a listener. Even when grandma is mad... she can shred you to pieces without ever cussing. So cursing or not, any speech that is aimed to attack or criticize will become apparent.