Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Close Call, or, Establishing Dharma in the West

PalzangPalzang Veteran
edited May 2010 in Buddhism Today
Well, we had a very scary week this week at our temple. With the downturn in the economy, we, like nearly every other nonprofit and religious organization, have been encountering very difficult financial problems. Ours got so bad that we were unable to pay the bank that holds a note on our temple and land for months (not a mortgage - we got the note to pay off the mortgage on the 65 acres of land we own across the road from our temple when it was about to be repossessed a few years ago and used the temple land as collateral).

Last Friday the bank sent us a letter saying they were recalling the note. What that meant was that we had less than a week to cough up $240,000 or we would lose everything - the land, the temple, and everything in it, including several consecrated stupas. Needless to say, it's been a very difficult, pretty much sleepless week! But the difference that I noticed this time is that, unlike past financial crises, nobody panicked, we didn't go rushing off to the one or two people in the sangha who might be able to come up with the money like we usually do, but instead we just rolled up our sleeves and got to work. Jetsunma, our teacher, told us that if we pulled together we could do it. She also has told us in the past that if we supply the effort, she'll supply the miracles.

So that's what we did. We started contacting everyone we knew, sent out emails to our contact list, contacted the Asian community here in DC (who really like our temple), and held a couple of online telethons. Well, the response was nothing short of astounding. At the last telethon on Wednesday night we were receiving calls, emails and donations from all over the country and all over the world. And they weren't just sending money, they were sending messages of love and telling us how much our temple means to them, even though they may not have had the opportunity to actually visit it. Many people who live in a place where there isn't any Dharma, like Idaho or Utah, told us how they really love to watch Jetsunma's teaching online, that it provides them their only spirtual sustenance out in the spiritual desert. The Asian community also really came through, particularly the Vietnamese community here. Once word got out, people were contacting everyone in their family to give. During the telethon two Asians showed up at the temple to hand deliver donations they had gathered from their families to make sure it got there on time. We asked them to tell us what our temple meant to them. One, a nice young Cambodian man, told us he spends many hours meditating at our temple (which is always open), and that he finds a sense of peace like he has never experienced anywhere else. The other, a Vietnamese man, said that everyone at his temple, which visits us by the busload during Tet every year, loves our place, that our stupas work when prayers are made at them, and that they need us to stay in the world. The same message was repeated over and over in emails and phone calls that we were getting constantly during the 3 1/2 hour telethon.

Meanwhile we were able to obtain pro bono legal representation by the most prestigious and powerful law firm in DC (the capital of lawyers), Covington and Burling (Eric Holder, the current US Attorney General, was a partner there before his current job). They were able to work out a deal with our bank to give us an additional 2 weeks "forebearance", as they put it.

But it turns out we didn't need the forebearance. The Wednesday night telethon raised some $97,000 bringing our total to over $200,000. A generous anonymous donor then offered to make up the difference. In short, we are now able to pay off the note in full and secure the temple.

What is more important to me, though, than just the financial aspect of this miracle (what else can you call it?) is the amazing revelation of the impact our temple makes literally around the world. That to me shows the power of the Dharma and how much it is needed and wanted in the world. I realized last night when I went to the temple for our usual Thursday night online video teaching that I will never look at the place in the same way I did a week ago. It's not just a slightly worn at the edges place where I and some other people go to practice and strive to become enlightened. It is also a sparkling wish-fulfilling jewel for countless sentient beings (including the birds at the Garuda Aviary who would have been dead if not for the temple taking them in and the feral cats we feed and take care of). It is very humbling, very humbling indeed! Securing this land and this temple and these stupas for future generations is a huge step for us in planting the victory banner of Dharma in the West. EH MA HO!

Oh, we also resolved to never, ever put our future in the hand of banks again!

Palzang

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    EH MA HO!

What a great story, it touched my heart to hear the swelling of support for the temple, and how much it has touched the lives of people around the globe. Thank you dearly for sharing.

With warmth,

Matt
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    good for you.

but why didn't you send links to the website or phone numbers for donations in here?
    I would have participated...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I considered it, Pat, but I thought better of it. I don't want to be a pest!

Palzang
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Palzang,
    What a wonderful story! As patbb said you should have told us we would have given. I would love to see pictures of your temple, the stupas and the surrounding grounds. It gladdens me that the giving of others has allowed you and your brethern to continue your work of sharing the Dharma.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Well, you can see all the pix you want at www.tara.org and www.palyulmedia.smugmug.com. And if you feel moved to make an offering, we can always use them! We still have to secure the land around our Amitabha Stupa in Sedona, Arizona, and then we'll be free and clear owners of all our properties! Oh, and btw, it's mostly my sistern (?) at our place. With a female teacher, it's mostly nuns in our ordained community. Sometimes I feel like the lone stranger!

Palzang
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    "sistern (?)":p I like it.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I think we can all learn from this experience. I am glad the temple was saved your's and your teacher's lessons have been instumental in my progress.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Well, that's what it's all about, QW! Thanks.

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    that's great, and i'm glad you guys pulled through, very interesting ordeal
    this shows how flourishing buddhism is in the world today, making the earth a central location... this is a good sign for buddha dharma.... WHIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Control yourself! :lol:

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Many people who live in a place where there isn't any Dharma, like Idaho or Utah, told us how they really love to watch Jetsunma's teaching online, that it provides them their only spirtual sustenance out in the spiritual desert.

Palzang

I read your story with interest. That is a lot of money given to you all. Sounds like a priesthood, somehow you all must deserve it. The quote above is one of the most callous statements i have heard in quite awhile, could you possibly explain, how the "Dharma" is absent in these two entire states?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Because there are very few, if any, Dharma centers in those states. What else could you possibly have thought I meant? And what "priesthood" are you talking about? Is there some reason you're being so hostile?

Palzang
  • edited April 2010
    Palzang, it's really marvelous that your temple has been able to pay the note in full! :) I'm glad all has worked out well.

dennis60 wrote: »
    I read your story with interest. That is a lot of money given to you all. Sounds like a priesthood, somehow you all must deserve it.

In a way, I don't think any of us truly deserve the kindness and compassion of others. That's the whole idea of giving though... give to others who need it, who can benefit from it, but not necessarily those who "deserve" it.

Not to say that your temple didn't deserve it of course, Palzang :lol: I'm just making a point, though.
    The quote above is one of the most callous statements i have heard in quite awhile, could you possibly explain, how the "Dharma" is absent in these two entire states?

I think it is always best to assume people's intentions were never malicious; it allows room for a lot more compassion. I read the comment to mean there was a lack of teachers or temples in those areas. What is so callous about this?

The internet can be a terrible place where words become mis-interpreted often.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    My feelings exactly. It seems like Mr. dennis has a bone to pick and used that to pick it. I dunno...

Palzang
  • edited May 2010
    Priesthood, because you make your living from other peoples money. Do you farm all the acreage you have across the street?

Here is just a small list of Dharma centers in Idaho....

Beginner's Mind Sangha
    746 Santa Paula Ct., Boise, ID 83712
    Tel: (208) 336-2128
    Tradition: Vietnamese Zen
    Founder: Thich Nhat Hanh
    Affiliation: Community of Mindful Living/Unified Buddhist Church
    Web site: http://www.beginnersmindsangha.org
    Contacts: Gary Richardson - (208) 336-2128
    Email:beginanew@cableone.net)
    Tom Sarriugarte - (208) 850-5340
    Email: tsarriug@cableone.net) Dzogchen Shen Pan Choling Dharma Center
    114 N. Latah, Boise, ID 83706
    Tel: (208) 345-3032
    Email: idaho@dzogchenlineage.org
    Web site: http://www.dzogchenlineage.org
    Tradition: Tibetan, Vajrayana, Dzogchen
    Affiliation: Dzogchen Shri Singha International
    Spiritual Director: H.E. Dzogchen Khenpo Choga Rinpoche
    Golden Blue Lotus Tara Buddhist Meditation Center
    525 South Main Street, Moscow, ID 83843
    Email: marthaf@cs.uidaho.edu
    Web site: http://community.palouse.net/lotus/default.htm
    Tradition: Tibetan, Gelugpa
    Spiritual Director: Zasep Tulku Rinpoche

Idaho Zen Buddhist Association
    P.O. Box 583, Bruneau, ID 83604, USA
    Phone: 208-845-2032
    Email: info@izba.us
    Tradition: Southern Chinese Mahayana (Chan) Buddhism
    Affiliation: Zen Buddhist Order of Hsu Yun - Lin-Ji lineage of Hui Neng
    Spiritual Director: Rev. Chuan Yi Shakya

Karma Dongag Ling
    Suite 9, 114 East 90 South, Malad ID 83252
    Tel: (208) 766 5259
    Email: kdl_sonam@yahoo.com
    Web site: http://www.karma-dongag-ling.freehomepage.com
    Tradition: Tibetan, Karma Kagyu
    Spiritual Director: Ven. Shangpa Rinpoche
    Mindfulness Sangha of the Palouse
    106 East Third Street, #3B Moscow, ID 83843
    Tel: (208) 883-3311
    Email: phine@moscow.com
    Director: Thich Nhat Hanh
    Affiliation: Community of Mindful Living, Berkeley
    Contacts: Pamela Berger and Pat Hine
    Treasure Valley Dharma Friends
    2312 E. Overland Road, Boise, ID 83701
    Tel: 887-9496
    Email: danblack@velocitus.net
    Web site: http://www.dharmafriends.net
    Tradition: Tibetan, Non-sectarian
    Spiritual Director: Ven. Thubten Chodron
    White Cloud Meditation Center
    232 S 9th Avenue, Pocatello, Idaho 83201
    Tel: (208) 478-9715
    Email: wcloud@ida.net
    Web site: http://www.whitecloud.org
    Tradition: Soto Zen
    Affiliation: Kanzeon Zen Center International, Salt Lake City, Utah
    Spiritual Director: Dennis Genpo Merzel Roshi
    Teacher: Rein Konpo Kaales
    Addititional information at: www.zencenterutah.org

Now Utah.....

Asian-American Meditation Center
    P.O. Box 725 - Snowville UT 84436
    Park Valley UT State Road 30 Mile Post 66
    Tel: (801) 394-3744
    Email:bacoou@msn.com
    Tradition: Practice Group

Big Mind, Inc.
    Street Address -- 1268 E. South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84102, U.S.A.
    Contact person -- Bruce Lambson
    Telephone -- 801-328-8414
    Email -- office@bigmind.org
    Web site -- http://bigmind.org
    Tradition -- Zen Buddhism
    Affiliation -- Kanzeon Zen Center International
    Spiritual Director -- Dennis Genpo Merzel Roshi
    Teacher/s -- Dennis Genpo Merzel Roshi

Buddhist Church of Ogden

155 North Street, Ogden, UT 84404
    Tel: (801) 392 7132, Fax: (801) 622 8827
    Affiliation: Buddhist Churches of America (BCA)
    Tradition: Jodo Shinshu Buddhism

Community of Mindful Living

1566 E. Bryan Avenue, Salt Lake City, UT 84105
    Tel: (801) 466-0542
    Email:tombarbpaul@hotmail.com
    Tradition: Zen Buddhist Master Thich Nhat Hahn

Dzogchen Shri Singha Association
    621 9th Ave., Salt Lake City,UT 84103
    Tel: (801) 355-9676
    Email: saltlake@dzogchenlineage.org
    Web site: www.dzogchenlineage.org
    Tradition: Tibetan, Vajrayana, Dzogchen
    Affiliation: Dzogchen Shri Singha International
    Spiritual Director: H.E. Dzogchen Khenpo Choga Rinpoche
    Insight Meditation Vipassana
    599 East 4075 South, Salt Lake City UT 84107
    Tel: (801) 281-5922
    Email: sray@aros.net
    Web site: www.alwaysmetta.org
    Tradition: Theravada Tradition
    Teacher: Ven. Shirley Ray
    Kanzeon Zen Center International, Utah
    1274 East South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84102
    Tel: (801) 328-8414, Fax: (801) 532-5867
    Email: office@kzci.org
    Web site: www.kzci.org
    Teacher: Zen Master, Genpo Merzel Roshi
    Tradition: Soto Zen
    Honeyville Buddhist Temple
    3945 W 6900, Honeyville, UT 84314
    Tel: (801) 279 8477
    Paramita Group
    1211 Cherry Lane, Provo UT 84604
    Email: info@paramitagroup.org
    Web site: www.paramitagroup.org
    Tradition: Influenced by Theravada, Mahayana & Vajrayana
    Salt Lake Buddhist Temple
    211 West First South, Salt Lake City, UT 84101
    Tel: (801) 363 4742, Fax: (801) 363 4742
    Minister: Rev. Jerry Hirano
    Email: jhirano@slbuddhist.org
    Web site: www.slbuddhist.org
    Salt Lake Sangha
    Tel: (801) 974-0328
    1411 Utah Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84104
    Lineage: Thich Nhat Hanh
    Affiliation: Community of Mindful Living, Berkeley
    Shodo-An Zen Mountain Retreat
    P.O. Box 680646 Park City UT 84060
    2962 W Wildflower Court, Unit 26, Pinebrook
    Email: GenshinSLC@aol.com
    Web site:www.shodo-an.com
    Resident Teacher: Nancy Genshin Gabrysch
    Lineage: Maezumi Roshi and Genpo Roshi
    Soka Gakkai International
    Salt Lake City Community Center
    537 East 300 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84102
    Tel: (801).538.0822, (801) 355.7717
    Web site: www.sgi.org/english
    Tradition: Mahayana
    Founder: Daisaku Ikeda

Soka Gakkai International - Southern Utah
    60 East 100 South, La Verkin, UT 84745
    Tel: (435) 635-7848
    Web site: www.sgi.org/english
    Tradition: Mahayana
    Founder: Daisaku Ikeda

Thupten Choling

P.O. Box 1017 La Verkin UT 84745-1017
    Tel: (435) 635-3610
    Email: rosebud4tibet@hotmail.com
    Tradition: Tibetan Buddhist Practice Center
    Urgyen Samten Ling
    740 South 300 West, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
    Tel: (801) 328-4629
    Web site: www.urgyensamtenling.org
    Tradition: Tibetan, Nyingma
    Lineage: Longchen Nyingthig
    Wasatch Zen Center
    1274 South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84102
    Tel: (801) 328-8414
    Affiliation: Zen Center of Los Angeles (CA)

Wat Buddhikaram
    Cambodian Buddhist Temple
    3325 West 3800 South, West Valley City UT 84119
    Tel: (801) 968-9073
    Tradition: Theravada
    Monk in Residence: Ven. Ritthy Lek
    Wat Dhammagunaram of Utah
    644 E. 1000 North, Layton, UT 84041-4220
    Tel: (801) 544-7616, Fax: (801) 543-1910
    Tradition: Theravada, Thai (Maha Nikaya)
    Affiliation: Thai Bhikkhus Council

Wat Lao Munisriratnaram
    279 E. 8000 South, Sandy, UT 84070
    Tel: (801) 255-1546
    Tel: (801) 964-9197
    Resident monk: Ven. Phouy Keovangmany
    Tradition: Theravada, Laotian

I wonder if your leader teacher would agree with you about there being NO Dharma in those states, i guess i can find out by posting what you said here to your temples website. Do you think i should?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Dude, you are seriously confused. You know absolutely nothing about us, and yet you are full of judgment. I mentioned Idaho and Utah because we had emails during the telethon from people in those states who said exactly what I said, that at least in the areas they live there is nothing available. There are many, many people who live in places where there are no Dharma centers, and our cyberpresence makes it possible for them to get some spiritual sustenance. They were simply showing their appreciation. We also got an email from someone in Canada who lives in a very remote area and has no contact with other Buddhists except by watching the videos we have available. They were simply expressing their thanks for us providing that for them. Excuse me, how silly of me to mention it!

I don't know what planet you live on, but we all work for a living at our place. Nobody is "making a living from other peoples money". I work full-time at a real job for a real company in addition to my monkly duties. So do most of our ordained sangha as well as our lay sangha. Those who don't are either retired or on disability. So much for your "priesthood" theory. We work our asses off every day of every year. What do you do? How are you contributing?

But it takes a lot of money to keep our place going. We are in the temple we're in at the explicit instruction of His Holiness Penor Rinpoche who told us the exact house to look for and where to look for it, even though he'd never seen the place or even been to the US at the time. The sangha at that time didn't think it was possible to get this place, but they did somehow, and somehow over the years, with lots and lots of work and a lot of close calls like this one, we've managed to keep it going. It's always a challenge, but it's worth it when we hear from all over the world from people who do appreciate our efforts and need us to stay in the world as we are their only connection to the Dharma. If that's a bad thing, then I plead GUILTY!!!

And I did email what I wrote to the board at the temple. They all loved it. Instead of sitting around looking for people to attack, you might want to consider going out and doing good for people. It feels good.

Palzang
  • edited May 2010
    I accused of nothing. I quoted EXACTLY what you said. Even if others said those words exactly, how could you support that? I am in complete shock that you could think of those words to put together to express, "That people were just being thankful." I am sorry, but that is not what you communicated. Both those states and all those "isolated" places you mention, have plenty of people who know nothing of your temple and are progressing just fine along their path in the Dharma. Fact! So though you all have many miracles occur at your place, is it possible that it much more a self-fulfilling prophecy that you claim as miracles. This sounds a lot like faith, and belief, which in my experience is not the teachings of Buddhism. Do you think the Buddha and Padma Sambhava had as much of a burden of property that you all have? No they didn't. If you all took your practice seriously you would renounce all the material wealth you have accumulated and give it away.
    You are choosing to put me down and ridicule me for not agreeing with your heart felt miracle. First of all i am not confused, in fact i am more clear about what i am saying than in most other situations.:) This is not a personal attack on you. It is about how Buddhism is represented in the West. We are an extremely wealth driven society. I assume you all took a "vow of poverty". It just doesn't sound like you are living it to me. I do know what you are about. I have been to similar places. It is like the big churches i also have been to. Just because you are an integral part of this institution, doesn't mean that all is well there. IMO you are mis-representing the true nature of compassion and skillful means.
    Then you accuse me of being from a different planet. Like i have no knowledge of the goings on of big religion in the US. Sorry, but i have studied this subject for 30 years, and i am confident of which i speak.
    If you follow everything your human leaders tell you, how do you know your own mind? Again it sounds like all you do there is find peer-approval for your "Acts of kindness". Of course your group will approve your letter, probably even your supreme leader. You just secured your lifestyle for another "trip into the future."
    I use every bit of my time practicing compassion and skillful means. That is why i am debating with you right now. I do not agree with your all's representation of Buddhism. It has been said, i am not going to change my mind. So that is that. I have no more to say about this.-
  • edited May 2010
    Gotta love the internet! Another well meant post gone awry... :(

That's greeat news palzang. :)
  • edited May 2010
    Amazing story, well done Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Yes, there's one thing we have no shortage of in the world - trolls!

Anyway, I'm not even going to respond to dennis (or whatever his real name is - we'll never know!). It's obvious that the axe he was grinding wasn't obvious from his inane statements and failure to respond to my comments. Though I did find the part where he claims to "use every bit of my time practicing compassion and skillful means" pretty hilarious. If that's compassion and skillful means, none for me, thanks! So hopefully he will keep his promise.

And thank you Swanny and silverstein. It was a truly remarkable week, though if I had any hair left and if any of that had not been gray already, it certainly would be now! But sometimes living on the edge like that can be exhilarating. Sometimes, I said!

Palzang
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I am very pleased to hear everything came together for you and your Temple!
    My own Temple is struggling although not financially...just with an aging membership.

I have to admit I also was a bit taken aback about the comment of a lack of Dharma in Idaho and Utah..partly because I have met Jerry Hirano Sensei of the Salt Lake Buddhist Church, and I know it is a very active Sangha, but I just sort of assumed perhaps this was in reference to your specific school.

I know it is difficult when someone pushes your buttons...but as my Sensei would say...Dennis is a Bodhisattva! Helping you to see where your own practice needs work.
    Certainly online comments should not cause one to want to do violence, although I completely understand why you feel that way and would want to defend the honour of your Sangha and Temple.

In any event certainly don't let this online discussion dampen your joy! In the big picture the success of your temple is a fantastic thing...this one aspect of this thread on the other hand....just a minor annoyance.

Congratulations though...always great to hear these sorts of success stories!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Thank you, Shutoku. We have the same problem with an aging membership, but recently we have started getting an influx of young people, which is very encouraging. I'm sure I could have phrased the part about Idaho and Utah better but I was pretty brain dead when I posted it. It was a very trying week. I wasn't trying to pick on those states, only used them because we got emails from people in those states. I could have chosen any state, including Maryland, because there are a lot of people here who aren't near any Dharma centers of any kind as well. Despite the growth of Buddhism in just my lifetime, there are still a lot of places where there isn't any way to hear teachings or talk to other Buddhists. So that's the motivation behind our internet presence. As for my response to dennis, when somebody attacks my teacher, my temple, my sangha, and me, especially when his reasons for doing so are as muddled and incomprehensible as his are, it brings out the Mahakala in me and I just want to go around with my bing (Mahakala's staff, sort of like a Maori war club) taking names. Dennis needs to learn this isn't e-sangha. We don't go for tearing down other Buddhists here!

I wish you the best in keeping your center going as well! We need all the Dharma we can get in these dark times. I started out in Zen and respect it very much.

Palzang
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I have no more to say about this.
    I'm holding you to that. Literally.

Congratulations, Palzang. :)
  • edited May 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to pick on those states, only used them because we got emails from people in those states. I could have chosen any state, including Maryland, because there are a lot of people here who aren't near any Dharma centers of any kind as well.
    Palzang

This was very clear in my opinion.

Someone getting so riled up over such sillines makes no sense to me. If those states are lacking in Dharma centers, is it really a knock on those states? That would be like me getting upset because someone said Chicago doesn't have any Waffle Houses. ;)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2010
    What a fantastic ending to a total nail-biter of a week, Palzang. I'm so happy for you and all those (feathered and furred too) who benefit from your temple and the work you all do.

Congratulations!!

Now here's to some downtime, some peace and security. I'm glad you are able to appreciate the living-on-the-edge thing though. That's a very handy skill to have in this world. That's for sure. Lol!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Thanks, Linc and Boo. Who has nails left?! And the animals are happy too, I'm sure. We just got an insurance payment to repair the damage the snow did to the birds' outdoor cage which they haven't been able to use since the snow caved it in. So they'll be happy too once they can get out and enjoy the beautiful spring air!

You're right, Boo, it is a good skill to develop because it seems like my life has mostly varied between periods of inactivity and periods of high tension drama. Guess it's just my karma! I have to admit that the adrenaline thing is pretty stimulating sometimes, but maybe not with so much riding on it!

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Swanny wrote: »
    That would be like me getting upset because someone said Chicago doesn't have any Waffle Houses. ;)

It doesn't!?!?!? :eek: Huh, I never noticed that when I lived there... (just being silly)

No, you're right. And like I said, there are Dharma centers in every state, but not everybody lives within easy commuting distance to them.

Palzang
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hey Palzang,

I live in UT and yes there are plenty of Dharma centers but we could use more, as we do live in a spiritual desert. I have two temples in walking distance from my house but would like five more.

QW
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, wouldn't we all!

Palzang
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I know I'm jumping in rather late here, but congrats Palzang!

Oh, and numbers do not necessarily equal coverage. There are lots of Dharma centers within the state of Illinois, but they're mostly all centered around the urban areas. Out here in the sticks they're non-existent, so that leaves most of the state, geographically speaking, completely uncovered.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Thanks. The final handover happens this week. We'll be happy (for a while, until the next crisis arrives).

And you're right, most Dharma centers are located in the big population centers. If you're out on a farm or a ranch somewhere or live in a small town, you're out of luck. So by providing a cyber presence we hope to be able to provide some sustenance for these people.

Palzang