Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Predestination

NewOneNewOne Explorer
edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Ok since I'm still new at this. Does it say anywhere that there is predestination or we are meant for something. I know that Predestination is a Christian term, but I was just wondering if it has any holding in Buddhism.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2010
    No.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    A river by nature has a predestination to flow to the sea.

In the same way, the mind by nature has a predestination to flow to Nirvana.

Sometimes, man made dams may stop a river flowing to the sea.

In the same way, the mind's grasping & clinging blocks it from flowing to Nibbana.
    Once the Buddha was sitting under a tree on the bank of the river Ganges near the city of Kosambi. Five hundred bhikkhus accompanied him. The Lord Buddha saw a very big log being carried down the river by the current.

He pointed to the log and said, "Oh Bhikkhus, do you see that big log which is being carried along by the current of the river?" The Bhikkhus replied, Yes Venerable Sir, we see it."

The Lord Buddha continued,
    • If that log is not caught on the near bank, it will reach the ocean.
    • If it is not caught on the far bank, it will reach the ocean.
    • If it is not submerged under the water, it will reach the ocean.
    • If it does not land on a small island in the middle of the river, it will reach the ocean.
    • If it is not taken away by a human being, it will reach the ocean.
    • If it is not taken away by a deity, it will reach the ocean.
    • If it does not sink into a whirlpool, it will reach the ocean.
    • If it does not become rotten, it will reach the ocean.
    Parable of the Log
    :smilec:
  • NewOneNewOne Explorer
    edited May 2010
    Thank-you for the parable Dhamma Dhatu. So simple but is deep all at the same time. Again Thanks
  • edited May 2010
    Haha...the sea is just a lovely sweet family haha.
    edited May 2010

In the same way, the mind by nature has a predestination to flow to Nirvana.

Sometimes, man made dams may stop a river flowing to the sea.

In the same way, the mind's grasping & clinging blocks it from flowing to Nibbana.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that's quite what the Buddha is saying here. If you read SN 35.200 carefully, the Buddha isn't comparing the river to the mind, he's comparing the river to right view. I agree, as the sutta suggests, that right view inclines towards nibbana, but that's not the same thing as saying "the mind by nature has a predestination to flow to Nirvana." With the right conditions (e.g., right view, etc.), the mind will indeed achieve peace, but the mind itself isn't "predestined" to achieve peace any more than it's predestined not to.
  • edited May 2010
    i Just want to emphasize what Jason has said.

I also dont think Buddha is speaking of our actual life's journey.

I wouldn't use the parable to reinforce any views on predestination.
  • NewOneNewOne Explorer
    edited May 2010
    I agree Micsunderland3, nice parable but it holds no ground for predestination. Really even in the "Christian World" predestination is hotly debated and never for sure one way or another. Its been hard switching my mind set. Being born and raised a Christian for 20 plus years and then finding Buddhism. I've noticed my mind falling back to Christianity. But as long as I "notice and see" it I'm sure that will fade with time.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2010
    NewOne wrote: »
    "Christian World" predestination
    i think
    this is like in "Buddhists World" my karma
    Its been hard switching my mind set. Being born and raised a Christian for 20 plus years and then finding Buddhism.
    this is same with being born and raised a Buddhist for (how many?) ... years and then finding Buddhism, i mean Lord Buddha's Teaching
    I've noticed my mind falling back to Christianity. But as long as I "notice and see" it I'm sure that will fade with time.

sure thing

because Buddha's Teaching tells us a beautiful thing

namely
    we do not have to surrender to 'predestination' or 'my karma'
    instead
    we (not anyone but WE) can change our destination/karma today by being wise in our thoughts, speech and deed
  • edited May 2010
    NewOne, first I would like to welcome you to the forum. I'm new myself.

As far as I can tell, there is no predestination in buddhism. I've never heard of such a thing. The way I've had it explained to me is that samsara is like an ocean. Sometimes streams go forth, and those same streams shall return.

The analogy is not perfect however, because the path that those streams take is not known in advance. In fact, from a more realistic point of view, it's not ideal to get too caught up in the analogy too much. Because we're not streams. We are much more than that. Any attempt to describe the universe usually falls up short.

But the buddha never taught that it could be known in advance, so in general, no predestination. helpful?
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited May 2010
    NewOne wrote: »
    Ok since I'm still new at this. Does it say anywhere that there is predestination or we are meant for something. I know that Predestination is a Christian term, but I was just wondering if it has any holding in Buddhism.

You create your destine in every second you live. Future is built upon what you do in the present. And yes, there is no predestination in Buddhism.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited May 2010
    My take on this is that there is no real question here for a Buddhist. Dharma is compatible with deterministic, fatalistic, stocastic and so on kinds of Universe. It doesn't distinguish from them, I believe.

It comes before them.

So I suggest that the question about determinism in this universe is one of science and speculation, not Dharma.

namaste
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Look at this world:
    Beings, afflicted with thick ignorance,
    are unreleased
    from delight in what has come to be.
    All levels of becoming,
    anywhere,
    in any way,
    are inconstant, stressful, subject to change.
    Seeing this—as it has come to be—
    with right discernment,
    one abandons craving for becoming,
    without delighting in non-becoming.
    From the total ending of craving
    comes dispassion & cessation without remainder:
    Unbinding.
    For the monk unbound,
    through lack of clinging/sustenance,
    there is no renewed becoming.
    He has conquered Mara,
    won the battle,
    gone beyond all becomings—
    Such. — Ud 3:10

http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings/TheParadoxOfBecoming.pdf

predestination is that every action is known in advance, if not caused by God.
    fatalism on the other hand both exists and doesn't exist in buddhism. an example of fatalism, would be something like indras web, which while actions within it are bound to fate, it is simultaneously "free having reduced the whole causal nexus to its center" (keiji nishitani).
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    It says in the Lotus Sutra that even someone who only offers a leaf to the Three Jewels will eventually achieve enlightenment. When Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche gives refuge vows, he says "For you, samsara will have an end."
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Methinks "Parable of The Log" is referring to those who are at least on the path to Stream Entry.

Edit: On second thought, maybe it could apply to anyone who is not yet an Arahant.
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited May 2010
    It says in the Lotus Sutra that even someone who only offers a leaf to the Three Jewels will eventually achieve enlightenment. When Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche gives refuge vows, he says "For you, samsara will have an end."

in Buddha Dharma , a vow is a powerful tool used as a directional guide to the goal. help to print into our deep consciousness for that determination , so that we will not lost our way in the cycle of life and death , nonetheless there are also many will forego their vow and lost their way in samsara and need to re-practice all over again. - so it is not Predestination

As for the Buddha to bestow the prediction of future enlightenment - that is a assurance by the enlightenment one, but there is no fixed date when one would reached that goal, it still up to one's effort in practice.
    edited May 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    If you read SN 35.200 carefully.
    Not necessary.

The Buddha said just as the great ocean has one taste, the Dhamma has one taste, namely, the taste of freedom.

Similarly, the Buddha said the spiritual life has only one goal, namely, the unshakeable freedom of mind.

• mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    unshakeable freedom of mind comes in many forms and orders of completion. not every arahat has 4 or 7 snakes overhead & bodhisattva vows...
    naganongkhai.jpg
    patanjali_zz49.jpg
    ja16_osiris.jpg
    Shantidevas´ Bodhisattva Vows
    (Bodhicaryavatara chapter 3)
    In the spiritual energy that relieves
    The anguish of beings in misery and
    Places depressed beings in eternal joy
    I lift up my heart and rejoice.
    In the goodness producing illumination
    I rejoice in the beings who have gained
    Eternal liberation from suffering.
    And I rejoice in those attained to Buddhahood
    As well as in their offspring, the noble Bodhisattvas.
    In the ocean-like virtue of the Bodhimind
    That brings joy to all beings
    And in accomplishing the well-being of others,
    To the Buddhas of the ten directions
    I join my hands in respect
    Let blaze the light of Dharmas truth
    For the beings lost in darkness
    To the Buddhas considering parinirvarna
    I join my hands in prayer
    Do not abandon the beings in sorrow
    But remain and teach for countless ages.
    May any spiritual energy thus generated
    By my devotion to the enlightened ones
    Be dedicated to dispelling the misery
    Of living beings without exception.
    As long as diseases afflict living beings
    May I be the doctor, the medicine
    And also the nurse
    Who restores them to health.
    May I fall as rain to increase
    The harvests that must feed living beings
    And in ages of dire famine
    May I myself serve as food and drink.
    May I be an unending treasury
    For those desperate and forlorn.
    May I manifest as what they require
    And wish to have near them.
    My body, every possession
    And all goodness, past, present and future
    Without remorse I dedicate
    To the well-being of the world
    Suffering is transcended by total surrender
    And the mind attains to nirvana.
    As one day all must be given up,
    Why not dedicate it now to universal happiness?
    My bodily powers I dedicate
    To the well-being of all that lives.
    Should anyone wish to kill, abuse or beat me,
    The responsibility is purely their own.
    Should anyone wish to ridicule me
    And make me an object of jest and scorn
    Why should I possibly care
    If I have dedicated myself to others?
    Let them do as they wish with me
    So long as it does not harm them.
    May no one who encounters me
    Ever have an insignificant contact.
    Regardless whether those whom I meet
    Respond towards me with anger or faith,
    May the mere fact of our meeting
    Contribute to the fulfilment of their wishes.
    May the slander, harm
    And all forms of abuse
    That anyone should direct towards me
    Act as a cause of their enlightenment.
    May I be a protector to the helpless,
    A guide to those travelling the path,
    A boat to those wishing to cross over;
    Or a bridge or a raft.
    May I be land for those requiring it,
    A lamp for those in darkness,
    May I be a home for the homeless,
    And a servant for the world.
    In order to fulfil the needs of beings
    May I be as a magic gem,
    An inexhaustible vase, a mystic spell,
    A cure-all medicine, and a wish granting tree.
    May I act as the mighty earth
    Or like the free and open skies
    To support and provide the space
    Whereby I and all others may grow.
    Until every being afflicted by pain
    Has reached nirvanas shores,
    May I serve only as a condition
    That encourages progress and joy.
    Just as all previous Buddhas
    First gave rise to the precious Bodhimind
    And just as then carefully followed
    The stages of the Bodhisattva disciplines.
    Likewise for the sake of sentient beings
    Do I now myself generate the Bodhimind,
    And likewise will I train myself
    In the disciplines of a Bodhisattva.
    They who out of wisdom
    Have seized the supreme Bodhimind
    Praise, glorify and rejoice in it,
    That it may grow to fulfilment.
    From today I will reap the fruit of life;
    Having well won the state of man,
    Today I am born in the Buddha-family
    And am now a child of the Buddhas.
    Thus in future I should make every effort
    To live in accord with the Bodhisattva Ways,
    And never should I act as would bring shame
    To this noble faultless family.
    Like a blind man fumbling in garbage
    Happens to find a rare and precious gem,
    Likewise I have discovered
    The jewel of the precious Bodhimind.
    Thus was found this supreme ambrosia to dispel
    The Lord of death, destroyer of life;
    An inexhaustible treasure able to cure
    The poverty of all sentient beings.
    It is the highest of medicines
    To quell the ills of the living,
    And it is a tree giving shade
    To those wandering on the paths of life.
    It is a strong and mighty bridge
    By which beings can cross from misery,
    And it is a moon to shine in the mind
    To clear away the pains of delusion.
    The Bodhimind is a great radiant sun
    To disperse the darkness of unknowing,
    And it is the very essence of butters
    Gained from churning the milks of Dharma.
    For all guests on the roads of life
    Who would take the very substance of joy,
    Here is the actual seat of true happiness,
    A veritable feast to satiate the world.
    Thus today in the presence of all awakened Ones
    I invite every living being to this festival
    Giving both immediate and lasting joy.
    May the gods and all others rejoice.

---

"This being is bound to samsara, karma is his means for going beyond."
    SN I, 38.
    edited May 2010
    The Buddha said just as the great ocean has one taste, the Dhamma has one taste, namely, the taste of freedom.

Similarly, the Buddha said the spiritual life has only one goal, namely, the unshakeable freedom of mind.

Yes, but I don't see how any of that implies predestination (i.e., determined beforehand).
    edited May 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    Yes, but I don't see how any of that implies predestination (i.e., determined beforehand).
    From the moment of birth, the mind follows what entices it

This is the cycle of craving (tanha), action (kamma) & habit (vipaka, anusaya)

If one does not enter this cycle, the mind's destination is nibbana

A simple example is drug addiction & going to rehab for cold turkey

It works!

Why?

Because the mind's predestination is to free itself from that craving addiction

:)
    edited May 2010
    mettafou wrote: »
    "This being is bound to samsara, karma is his means for going beyond."
    SN I, 38.
    This above quote is quite fitting for this thread. Buddhi Bodhi translates as follows:
    Satto saṃsāramāpādi, kammaṃ tassa parāyana’’nti.

A being enters upon samsara, kamma determines his destiny.

:confused:

Parāyana (Parāyaṇa) (nt.) [fr. parā+i, cp. Vedic parā- yaṇa highest instance, also BSk. parāyaṇa e. g. Divy 57, 327] 1. (n.) final end, i. e. support, rest, relief S <SMALLCAPS>i.</SMALLCAPS>38; A <SMALLCAPS>i.</SMALLCAPS>155, 156 (tāṇa lena dīpa etc.); J <SMALLCAPS>v.</SMALLCAPS>501=<SMALLCAPS>vi.</SMALLCAPS>375 (dīpañ ca p.). -- 2. (adj. -- ˚) (a) going through to, ending in, aiming at, given to, attached to, having one's end or goal in; also: finding one's support in (as daṇḍa˚ leaning on a stick M <SMALLCAPS>i.</SMALLCAPS>88; A <SMALLCAPS>i.</SMALLCAPS>138), in foll. phrases prevalent: Amata˚ S <SMALLCAPS>v.</SMALLCAPS>217 sq.; tama˚ Pug 51; Nibbāna˚ S <SMALLCAPS>iv.</SMALLCAPS>373; <SMALLCAPS>v.</SMALLCAPS>218; brahmacariya˚ S <SMALLCAPS>i.</SMALLCAPS>234; Maccu˚ S <SMALLCAPS>v.</SMALLCAPS>217; sambodhi˚ D <SMALLCAPS>i.</SMALLCAPS>156; <SMALLCAPS>ii.</SMALLCAPS>155; Pug 16. Cp. also Sn 1114 (tap˚=tad˚, see Nd<SUPERSCRIPT>2</SUPERSCRIPT> 411); Miln 148 (ekantasoka˚); DhA <SMALLCAPS>i.</SMALLCAPS>28 (rodana, i. e. constantly weeping). <-> (b) destined to, having one's next birth in., e. g. Avīci˚ J <SMALLCAPS>iii.</SMALLCAPS>454; <SMALLCAPS>iv.</SMALLCAPS>159; duggati˚ PvA 32; devaloka˚ J <SMALLCAPS>i.</SMALLCAPS>218; brahmaloka˚ J <SMALLCAPS>iii.</SMALLCAPS>396; Miln 234; sagga˚ J <SMALLCAPS>vi.</SMALLCAPS>329; PvA 42, 160; sugati˚ PvA 89 similarly nīlamañca˚ Pv <SMALLCAPS>ii.</SMALLCAPS>2<SUPERSCRIPT>5</SUPERSCRIPT>. See also pārāyana.
    </DIV2><DIV2 id=Parāyika type="article">
  • edited May 2010
    I don't think predestination is something taught in Buddhism, as it implies a design or goal, which would assume a designer (i.e. god)..... and Buddhism doesn't go there. What the teachings do proclaim is that all things arise and fall based on conditions, and that each moment is 'conditioned' by the preceding moment. [Dependent Arising or Dependent Origination]

Things will continue to change, and nothing lasts forever. Each person has to come up with their own purpose or meaning, and since we have such huge imaginations it can be anything. We can be anything.
  • edited May 2010
    From my understanding of Buddhism, its concept of Karma is not pre-destination. I refer here an extract from the book, "The Buddha and His Teachings" by Venerable Narada Mahathera. (http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/budtch/budteach21.htm) The extract refers to an extract from Anguttara Nikaya and it goes like this....

In the Anguttara Nikāya the Buddha states:

"If any one says that a man must reap according to his deeds, in that case there is no religious life nor is an opportunity afforded for the entire extinction of sorrow. But if any one says that what a man reaps accords with his deeds, in that case there is a religious life and an opportunity is afforded for the entire extinction of sorrow."

:grin:

• thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Ahimsaka wrote: »
    From my understanding of Buddhism, its concept of Karma is not pre-destination.

It is not Predestination and not not Predestination. That is, there could be karma in a determinate universe or not.

One way to see this is to look at dependent origination and ask if the must conditions are necessary or contingent. I think it doesn't matter.

"If this happens, this may happen." and "If this happens, this must happen."

Are both compatible with dependent origination.

Dharma is before this universe. Determinism /Indterminism is specific to this universe.

namaste
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I think you have to look at where the notion of predestination comes from. The assumption made is that since god is omnipotent, he therefore must know everything that will ever happen as well as what has happened and what is happening, correct? Therefore if that is true, then it also must be true that he knows exactly who is going to be "saved" and who is going to hell for all eternity. This is the root of predestination. Most Xians have a problem with this concept because it argues against free will, which is also supposed to exist (actually it is contradiction #6,230 in the standard register of biblical contradictions ;)). From a Calvinist's point of view (i.e. predestination), it matters not one whit what you do and how you act because everything is predestined. From the free will point of view, however, how you act and what you do are of ultimate importance as to whether you will be saved and enjoy eternity with god, singing praises and plucking harps or whatever they do there! This whole thought train has absolutely nothing at all to do with Buddhism.

While karma does indeed matter, you are never a prisoner of your own karma. You have the power to change your "destiny" (also not a Buddhist term) by consciously creating causes that will create better karma. So the original question is, I would say, comparing apples to oranges.

Palzang
  • NewOneNewOne Explorer
    edited May 2010
    Well said Palzang.
  • edited May 2010
    Palzang wrote: »

While karma does indeed matter, you are never a prisoner of your own karma. You have the power to change your "destiny" (also not a Buddhist term) by consciously creating causes that will create better karma.

Palzang

Thanks Palzang, well said. You have pointed out the thing that I was trying to say with that extract from AN. I have taken the liberty of interpreting NewOne's query of predestination to be "we are meant for something",or vice versa, and not taking into consideration that NewOne could be comparing orange with apple!:D

Thanks for your comments,thickpaper. But as I am new to Buddhism, I have difficulty trying to grasp the meanings in your comments. But hope I will in due time be able to get it as I read up more.:)