Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nirvana=Tao?

Is Nirvana the same 'thing' as Tao?

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    What difference does it make?

Palzang
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I imagine they are both slightly different and yet the same, wait... hang on... me make no sense!;)

namaste
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited June 2010
    first, define Nirvana , define Tao, quote then from reliable sources

else is just playing libs services
  • edited June 2010
    I wouldn't equate the two, except to say that both claim there is a reality that can not be adequately expressed in words.....one that can be known, but not ultimately controlled. This is at least in accord with my own study, practice and insights through Buddhism.

Zen Buddhism is actually an amalgamation of the two. Taoism existed in China, and when Buddhism was introduced it was so much in the same spirit of the Tao that the two merged and 'Zen' was born.

More than this can be said, should be said, but it's easily enough Google'd. :)

Namaste
  • edited June 2010
    Those who know, do not speak. Those who speak, do not know.

-Lao Tzu
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Nirvana isn't a special reality, or principle, or thing. Nirvana is the cessation of suffering, grounded in ordinary reality, without fictions.

Think of the beautiful gesture of the Buddha touching the earth, the sanity and clarity of that.
    edited June 2010

-Lao Tzu
    When the great goose flies from the east, the peach blossom falls.

.....:p sorry just goofing.
  • edited June 2010
    There was once a Scotsman that had a problem- birds were nesting in his horse's mane. So he went to the village elder for a solution to this, and the village elder suggested that he put yeast in the horse's mane. When the Scotsman asked why he recommended that particular thing, the elder replied:'

"Yeast is yeast and nest is nest and never the mane shall tweet!"
  • edited June 2010
    Javelin wrote: »
    I wouldn't equate the two, except to say that both claim there is a reality that can not be adequately expressed in words.....one that can be known, but not ultimately controlled. This is at least in accord with my own study, practice and insights through Buddhism.

Zen Buddhism is actually an amalgamation of the two. Taoism existed in China, and when Buddhism was introduced it was so much in the same spirit of the Tao that the two merged and 'Zen' was born.

More than this can be said, should be said, but it's easily enough Google'd. :)

Namaste

Thanks,very helpful..
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited June 2010
    R: Nirvana isn't a special reality, or principle, or thing. Nirvana is the cessation of suffering, grounded in ordinary reality, without fictions.
    : ) , to add at the stage of Nirvana , one's mind has transform the fundamental darkness to perceive the reality into fundamental enlightenment of perfect clarify , can changed our innate illusions, poisons to reality , to enlightenment virtues, wisdom and life force
  • edited June 2010

I think Nirvana is the experience of the Tao.

johnathan
  • edited June 2010
    If anything in Buddhism computes with the Tao, I'd say it's the Dharmakaya. Nirvana is certainly not the Tao, because nirvana is a transcendental state of being, whereas the Tao is the fundamental nature of the universe. Thus nirvana is the state where dharmakaya (or the Tao) is experienced directly.

Cheers, Thomas
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Why do a 'transcendental state of being' (being and non-being?) and 'the fundamental nature of the universe' have to be different?
  • edited June 2010
    Florian wrote: »
    Why do a 'transcendental state of being' (being and non-being?) and 'the fundamental nature of the universe' have to be different?

I was thinking the same thing.

• edited June 2010

It becomes difficult to use language when describing such things as the Tao and nirvana, but in this case we might use simple logic. A "state of being" is modal by definition, whereas the "fundamental nature of the universe" is non-modal (also by definition). That's the principal difference.

Cheers, Thomas
    edited June 2010
    . A "state of being" is modal by definition, whereas the "fundamental nature of the universe" is non-modal (also by definition). That's the principal difference.

Tricky stuff. "Fundamental nature of the universe" is not other than the modal. Our teacher slaps the red floor and says.. "The red floor is red" It always shuts me up.
  • edited June 2010
    Nirvana leads to Samsara leads to Nirvana, with neither the beginning or the end. Concepts such as 'complete Samsara' or 'complete Nirvana' are largely useless. All that 'is' fluxes between these impermanent states. Samsara can be metaphorically compared to pain; there is minor pain and major pain, but it is all pain. The laying down of pain is temporary, for life is constant change.

(This is my view, so please don't take it wrongly or perceive it as anything other than an opinion. It is my opinion.)

It is only when we attribute a 'self' that we perceive this otherwise, such as an 'I' that shifts to a state of Nirvana and remains so until death. It is true that this is the case as far as an individual human is concerned (though temporary in the sense that the human 'dies', or the aggregates disperse for whatsoever purposes they may serve), so strive diligently to understand the teachings and gain insight! :)

[to Richard] By the way, what do you think your teacher tries to convey with 'the red floor is red'? There are several ways I can think of that this can be significant, so it depends on the very specific question or fundamental wrong-view. I'd just like to know personally, might be useful. ;)

Namaste
    edited June 2010
    Javelin wrote: »
    What exactly, to you, does your teacher try to convey with 'the red floor is red'? As a simple statement it would be meaningless.....only to answer a specific fundamental wrong-view would this communication lead to understanding.

I only ask because it can mean different things and I'd like to understand how your teacher means it, not that I have a dog in this fight or anything. :)

Namaste
    You have a relaxed but seriously dilated mushroom in this fight.:D

Meaning is relative. You pick up a dictionary and each definition will take you on a journey through the rest of the dictionary, so he is not pointing to a meaning or significance, or an ultimate anything. He is stepping out of the web of meaning completely and that includes the notion of being meaningless.

He is pointing to an aloneness. Everything at once, is alone. Everything at once, is by itself, self-luminous. He is bringing us back to practice.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    Tricky stuff. "Fundamental nature of the universe" is not other than the modal. Our teacher slaps the red floor and says.. "The red floor is red" It always shuts me up.

Directness is lovely. This reminds me of the line from the Avatamsaka Sutra, and one of my favorite sayings, "Things are not as they seem, nor are they otherwise."
  • edited June 2010
    He is pointing to an aloneness. Everything at once, is alone. Everything at once, is by itself, self-luminous. He is bringing us back to practice.
    Gotcha. He is just pointing to 'suchness', outside of view or perspective.

Seriously dilated mushroom hahahahaha. :) The mushroom has significance only as an expression of a mindset, which is relaxed (peaceful), and a dilated or wide perspective (mind's eye). I'd like to think the goal of both Buddhism and Taoism is to live with a 'mind wide open' to this suchness.

Richard H as in Richard Hermann?

Namaste
    edited June 2010
    Suchness is good. But IMO these words, in fact all the "pointing" words like "True Nature", "Buddha Nature", "Ultimate Reality" (wildly off the mark), "pure Mind" and so forth make trouble.

Teachers and students alike that I know, and have known, do not spend time on this talk. They talk about practice in the sense of knowing thought phenomena as thought phenomena, sitting again and again, going on retreats and slogging it out month after month, year after year.
    The fact that "suchness" is closer to us than our own bones doesn't mean it is easy to realize, it is really hard to realize, and there are people who have been practicing for thirty years who never mention it.

I think we intuitively know we are it, and assume that by knowing this we have realized it, when we haven't. Most people who talk about it are in that place.

Realizing "suchness" is not Enlightenment. It is the "sudden awakening" that is the beginning of serious practice. Greed, Hatred and Delusion do not up and vanish with Non-dual realization. Some things do vanish, like all doubt, and all existential questions, but greed hatred and delusion still need to be worked through, gradually. Its gruntwork.

Yes Richard Herman. Thought there would be continuity with the avatar. I was the only person using my actual full name and it seemed to stand out. I'd prefer to standout with cogent and inspired posts:D
  • edited June 2010
    In essence, the first awakening is mind-sight of suchness or rather what 'is' the nature of reality. It is the most important 'event' that can happen to a human being, and may lead to full liberation if the conditions are right. Not all would even desire full enlightenment at that point.

Sorry for mis-spelling your name.

Namaste
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited June 2010
    enlightenment is the fusion of enlightened wisdom ( bodhi ) and the reality ( dharmakaya , suchess , thusness , dharma nature ) at that junction of moment

tao at most is refering to the objective reality phenamena , without the subjective wisdom

in buddha dharma , at the time of buddhahood, our unpure consciousness is changed to the enlightened wisdom ( bodhi , buddha nature )
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2010
    You have a relaxed but seriously dilated mushroom in this fight.:D

Meaning is relative. You pick up a dictionary and each definition will take you on a journey through the rest of the dictionary, so he is not pointing to a meaning or significance, or an ultimate anything. He is stepping out of the web of meaning completely and that includes the notion of being meaningless.

Is he saying shut up and pay attention politely?

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    pegembara wrote: »

I don't find that to be really very true. I would say "Those who know, do not insist. Those who insist, do not know." Even great and open teachers say. They just say the right things.

In the case of the floor, it seems to me he is saying don't get lost in conceptual nihilism. Objects do have meaning to us. The floor is red, even if the convention of floor is a convention, the convention of red is a convention etc. Conventional reality is real, and not to be abandoned. Its only to be penetrated so we do not become swept into it, going to war if someone comes along and calls it green.

With warmth,

Matt
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2010
    In the case of the floor, it seems to me he is saying don't get lost in conceptual nihilism. Objects do have meaning to us. The floor is red, even if the convention of floor is a convention, the convention of red is a convention etc. Conventional reality is real, and not to be abandoned. Its only to be penetrated so we do not become swept into it, going to war if someone comes along and calls it green.

Conventional reality is like a dream. Red or green are conventions :- to a color-blind they may not even exist. To one born deaf there may be no such thing as "music".

"By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.015.than.html
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited June 2010
    It becomes difficult to use language when describing such things as the Tao and nirvana, but in this case we might use simple logic. A "state of being" is modal by definition, whereas the "fundamental nature of the universe" is non-modal (also by definition). That's the principal difference.

Cheers, Thomas

Hi Thomas

Could you explain further what you mean here? Do you mean that a state of being is contingent while the fundamental nature of universe is necessary?
    edited June 2010
    Is he saying shut up and pay attention politely?.
    No.
    I said what slapping the floor was about.
    The Lotus blooms under a mighty sea, and horse feathers abound. :buck: Lets say the best we can.
  • edited June 2010
    Could you explain further what you mean here? Do you mean that a state of being is contingent while the fundamental nature of universe is necessary?

I prefer not to go further into that. What's been said is all that can be said, or -more likely- it was a already too much. Instead allow me to quote the first verse of the Tao Te Ching:

The Tao that can be spoken of is not the eternal Tao.
    The name that can be named is not the eternal name.

The nameless is the beginning of heaven and earth.
    The name is the mother of the ten thousand things.

Send your desires away and you will see the mystery.
    Be filled with desire and you will see only the manifestation.

As these two come forth they differ in name.
    Yet at their source they are the same.
    This source is called a mystery.

Darkness within darkness, the gateway to all mystery.

Cheers, Thomas
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Conventional reality is like a dream. Red or green are conventions :- to a color-blind they may not even exist. To one born deaf there may be no such thing as "music".

"By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit....015.than.html

Yes, this is precisely what I said... both conventional and absolute reality exist (and/or both don't exist... exist/not-exist are like red/not-red) so insisting the floor is not red isn't right. To say there is music is ok, but assuming everyone relates to music in the same way is askance.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The tao has more to do with how things are, nirvana with how things aren't.
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited June 2010
    for tao, the practitioners are just passive observer to the phenomena,

for Buddha Dharma, the Buddha or those who attained Buddhahood , would set to turn the Dharma wheel , snatch the saha world from the devil of 6th heaven / our innate fundamental darkness and transform it to Buddhaland / fundamental buddhahood to benefit and liberal the masses

for this, the subjective enlightened mind would take the active action to influence and transform the objective reality phenomena , that's why when the historial Buddha attained his nirvana at the age of 32, he spend the next 50 years travelling and preach his enlightened wisdom to awaken the masses, and he kept his enlightened wisdom ( spiritual aspect ) to endure for the next 2500 odd years to benefit the future generations with his estabishment of the Buddhist sanghas and sutras.

in comparison of historical fact, the Buddha teaching have sucessfully established into practical social standard in many culture and buddhist nations, the tao on the other hand , have actually never had any sucessful actualization in social standard nor phenomena , it only exist in the form of theory .
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The Lotus blooms under a mighty sea, and horse feathers abound. :buck: Lets say the best we can.
    Thanks Richard H - Hilarious and pertinent. Can I use it for my signature?

<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Richard H - Hilarious and pertinent. Can I use it for my signature?
    Your welcome to it:D. Lets trade horse feathers.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thanks.

I think on balance I'd go with jinzang's answer. Short and sweet, and I suspect it's close to the truth.