Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Centres and charges

edited August 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi,
Don't wish to cause any offence here but what are your beliefs and Buddhist centre charges.

I'm not going to mention any specific centres but there are many that charge £200 - £300 for a weekend what's that about $400 - $550? US

Anyway I looked into it online last night and a Buddhist centre which is a charity (there profit and loss is usually made public by law) makes over £500,000 net every year, that's NET, the profit they are left with. Doesn't sound much of a middle path to me (no offense).

Wouldn't be a problem but i'm just starting out self employed and it aint easy. No sob story here, it's my choice.

Do you think that some Asians come over to the west and think we're all made of money. Even if they only made £100,000 net surely if they sent £50,000 back to Tibet/India or whatever they do with it that's still a lot of money, especially in Tibet or India.

I just know some people can't afford it. Their meditation classes does say donation, but it seems quite costly to become a Buddhist lol, especially if you wan't to progress further than a meditation class.

I've meditated and learnt on my own for over five years now, I would like to be in a surrounding where I can progress and learn more.

What does people think, if I approach them and say, look i'll camp in a farmers field close by (with permission) and i'll bring my own food? do think they'l let me lol.

Anyway just wanted to see what people thought of the situation.

Many thanks.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Oh and does anyone now of a Buddhist centre in the UK around Wales and the Southwest that has lower charges?

Thanks
  • edited July 2010
    There is a Tibetan Buddhist Center in Scotland. I would be very surprised if there is a significant money issue with them.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited July 2010
    As far as I'm aware, all decent Buddhist centres offer concessions for those on a lower income. Though a net profit of £500,000 seems a bit extreme.
    If you look hard enough, you will find a teacher willing to teach for free.

Nios.
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks both. Although Scotland is about 350 - 400 miles away I could go on retreat there every year.

Sorry my error, looked at it last night quite late, their Net assets is £509,000 their net income for 2008 is £99,816. Which is $153,134.69 US. Still not a bad income though.

<table class="bordernew" width="99%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th scope="col" width="27%"> </th> <th scope="col" width="28%">
    Unrestricted Funds
    </th> <th scope="col" width="27%">
    Restricted Funds
    </th> <th scope="col" width="18%">
    Total
    </th> </tr> <tr> <td>Income</td> <td>
    £400,906
    </td> <td>
    £2,538
    </td> <td>
    £403,444
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Expenditure</td> <td>
    £301,090
    </td> <td>
    £2,538
    </td> <td>
    £303,628
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Net incoming / (outgoing) resources</td> <td>
    £99,816
    </td> <td>
    Nil
    </td> <td>
    £99,816
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Net Assets</td> <td>
    £470,231
    </td> <td>
    £39,304
    </td> <td>
    £509,535
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I have the same problem here in the US. Well, plus I live in the sticks and there's nothing nearby. I completely understand that they need funds to run their centers, but I can't afford the high costs of extended retreats. I did sign up for a meditation retreat at a center about five hours from me, and they accept any donations that the participants can afford. It's a five day retreat so I'm hoping to save up at least $150 to donate, because I really do appreciate that they're flexible! They also state that they accept alms and the participants do work projects daily, so I'm glad to contribute that way too.

Just keep on the lookout and you will find something reasonable!
  • edited July 2010
    There's a worldwide search facility for centres at the Buddhanet site.

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    MIG1 wrote: »
    Sorry my error, looked at it last night quite late, their Net assets is £509,000 their net income for 2008 is £99,816. Which is $153,134.69 US. Still not a bad income though.

Depending on the size of the Sangha, this doesn't seem very unreasonable. Are you labeling them as greedy? Instead of sitting from afar and deciding they are this or that, perhaps you could call them and tell them about your difficulty and confront them on their greediness? You might find your expectations of them are nothing like who they actually are. Depending on the sangha of course.

The worst thing you can do is judge them with only your assumptions of what their values are, based off some numbers.

With warmth,

Matt
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I think it goes against the spirit for a Dharma group to charge too much for teachings. I don't think I would attend any dharma group regularly if it over-charged for events, or if they barred anyone who could not afford to pay. If there is financial difficulty, I think I would approach the organizatin to see if something could be worked out.

However, I also think there are other factors to consider:
    - What are the expenses for the event? How much of each donation/charge goes to "support" the attendance of someone who can't afford to pay?
    - How much of the intake is donated to the teacher?
    - What are the OTHER general operating expenses (year-round) that the group has?
    - What does the group do with any profit they may make?
  • edited July 2010
    Depending on the size of the Sangha, this doesn't seem very unreasonable. Are you labeling them as greedy? Instead of sitting from afar and deciding they are this or that, perhaps you could call them and tell them about your difficulty and confront them on their greediness? You might find your expectations of them are nothing like who they actually are. Depending on the sangha of course.

The worst thing you can do is judge them with only your assumptions of what their values are, based off some numbers.

With warmth,

Matt
    Easy tiger I never said they were greedy that's the definition you have jumped too. I'm saying they're bloody expensive, especially as there is only 2 or 3 Buddhist monks there. 100 grand in their back pocket isn't bad but that doesn't make them Rockafeller.
    Instead of sitting from afar and deciding they are this or that, perhaps you could call them and tell them about your difficulty and confront them on their greediness?
    I haven't got a problem confronting people, my problem was being to confrontational with people, something I would never want to go back to. I'd rather talk to them peacefully and ask them if anything.
    With warmth,

Matt
    Doesn't seem to be to much warmth coming from you there brother.

To all the helpful people who aren't advising me to confront a group of Buddhist monks, thank you.

Dazzle that site is really helpful. I'm really lucky I've just found out. I have 5 or 6 Buddhist centres all within half hour drive for me, one which is no more than 15 minutes away who I've already contacted and I'm going up there next Tuesday. Also about another 7 or 8 Buddhist groups within half hour 15 minutes drive. Plus there are another couple of centres and groups within an hour of me also.

All I got to do now is go to the one that fits my budget lol.

And to Matt

Extra extra extra super dooper warmth to you, :rolleyes:

Peace Brother
  • edited July 2010
    However, I also think there are other factors to consider:
    - What are the expenses for the event? How much of each donation/charge goes to "support" the attendance of someone who can't afford to pay?
    - How much of the intake is donated to the teacher?
    - What are the OTHER general operating expenses (year-round) that the group has?
    - What does the group do with any profit they may make?

All really good points, maybe i'll go there to find out.

Thank you.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I was feeling at ease when I wrote that, sorry if it came across as needing to "easy tiger" me :) I did ask if it was a concern that they were profiteering, based on the descriptions you gave, I genuinely did not assume that was your position, but also was saying perhaps you could call them and find out for yourself, no matter what the issue was.

If you bring your side of things up, there might be more flexibility than you thought... I don't think there is a need to discount the possibilities before exploring them, beyond an internet price list.

With regular and genuine warmth,

Matt
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    This issue has bothered me for some time as well. I know most centers say they are flexible, but the fact is, at least in my mind, that by publishing "fees" they are saying, in effect, "enlightenment for sale, and here's the price."

I completely understand that any organization has overhead and expenses to account for, but other religious organizations seem to get by just fine on donations. Many Christian churches certainly encourage tithing, but they don't require it, and the majority of them that I've ever known about simply ask members to do what they feel they can do, and survive on that.

The whole idea of fixed fees for "membership" (call it what you will) in a center is a really odd part of Buddhism to me. How does this work in traditionally Buddhist societies like Nepal and Thailand?

Curious...

Mtns
  • edited July 2010

With warmth,

Matt

Appologise, probably read it wrong, wires crossed moment.

Peace
  • edited July 2010
    This issue has bothered me for some time as well. I know most centers say they are flexible, but the fact is, at least in my mind, that by publishing "fees" they are saying, in effect, "enlightenment for sale, and here's the price."
    That's what it feels like to me. Problem is i'm a porper at the moment lol.

Everyone knows they need donations but by requesting donations I can't help but feel obliged to give them. At the end of the month i'm skint at the moment because I have to reinvest into my business. I can see it now because i've done it before, having £3 left and saying to Hanna, 'Han have you got £2 I can borrow, I need it to go to the centre.'

It's either find the money or stay away until when you can afford it next. I went to a Buddhist meditation group a couple of times in the town hall a couple of years ago, and probably out of ego when I saw the donation box and everyone putting money in it, I couldn't just put £2 in it, I had to put the full £5 in otherwise I would of felt embarrassed. That was when I just left my job so I had no money then either lol. In the end I thought blow it, I can do this at home anyway.

I'm certainly not anti capatalist but the lack of money is a real pain. Theres got to be a better system. The top 2% sharing there wealth would be a start lol (joke).

I just wish there was somewhere like a church or temple where even if they haven't got anything on you can just go in and sit and meditate, because the energy is so much different in places like that.

Hey that's an idea, when I make my money i'll open meditation and prayer centres for all religions and paths. With different rooms for different religions with pictures, statues and holy books in each that coincide with their religion and a main room where all can come together. No donations needed!

Anyway just a dream ;)
  • edited July 2010
    The Duldzin centre in Liverpool is not all that pricey. Check it out!!
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    There should only be a "suggested donation" for membership and an openness about the basic costs of rent utilities and so forth. If it is a retreat there should be a bursary for those who cannot afford to pay the cost. No one should be profiting. If the teachers, monastics, or lay practitioners conduct themselves well, support is usually there for the centre or monastery.

500 dollars for a weekend sounds bogus.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    No worries about the miscommunication, friend... it takes two to tango as it were. As I read over my own words, your view of it made sense to me, though it was not as I intended.

There are many other traditions beyond the Tara/Kadampa that you could look into as well, so you might want to hesitate before thinking that one tradition is representative of all. I have found there to be other problematic views that arise from those particular centers, though I have no specific or direct knowledge.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited July 2010
    There are many other traditions beyond the Tara/Kadampa that you could look into as well, so you might want to hesitate before thinking that one tradition is representative of all.

Wow are you psychic how do you know I was talking about those lol.

I have found there to be other problematic views that arise from those particular centers

Really can you say what?
  • edited July 2010

Thank you
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010

Yeah, but the airfare, ground transport, and hotel costs would be a killer for me ;)

Mtns
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Really can you say what?

Well, I have only indirect knowledge, but someone mentioned that the relationship that is shared with Tara has some clinging fetters. It was someone interpreting others, and is bordering divisive talk. I am sure there is deep wisdom there.

I don't mean to discourage you from any tradition, only to encourage you to see the rich qualities of many traditions before deciding what Buddhists as a whole do or do not do.

With warmth,

Matt
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Some centers operate by donation only (like ours. We have a "suggested donation" for events, but no pressure to pay it.) Others are based on more of a fee for event model. I can't say one is better than another, though I hate to see young & sincere practitioners shut out. OTOH, there are people who could easily support events, but freeload.

Look around and see what is available.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    There are many other traditions beyond the Tara/Kadampa

What is this Tara\Kadampa thing? Are you guys talking about that centre that looks like a hotel\spa?
  • edited July 2010
    What is this Tara\Kadampa thing? Are you guys talking about that centre that looks like a hotel\spa?

I think you may be thinking of osho http://www.osho.com/
  • edited July 2010
    Well, I have only indirect knowledge, but someone mentioned that the relationship that is shared with Tara has some clinging fetters. It was someone interpreting others, and is bordering divisive talk. I am sure there is deep wisdom there.

I don't mean to discourage you from any tradition, only to encourage you to see the rich qualities of many traditions before deciding what Buddhists as a whole do or do not do.

With warmth,

Matt

Thanks Matt, I did read something on their site talking about a visualisation of a sexual embrace with a deity or something like that. Can't find it now so don't quote me as i've read so much on buddhism this past week.

One that feels a little taboo for me lol and two I can see why you may develop an attachment.

I'm still leaning towards Zen, I listened to a cd last night with Thich Nhat Hanh. He speaks so well, sound like a beautiful man, and he's only over in Bordeux France in a place called Plum Village which is about an hours flight from me.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    jinzang wrote: »
    Some centers operate by donation only...

I prefer that arrangement because I don't like the idea of people being effectively excluded from access to Dharma because they're poor. And poor people may not be able to afford to travel to a cheaper Buddhist centre.

I appreciate of course that it costs money to run centres, and that needs to be covered.

P
  • edited July 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    How does this work in traditionally Buddhist societies like Nepal and Thailand?

Curious...

Mtns

This may sound unbeliveable, but from where I am at in Hong Kong and what I know in the traditional buddhist centers in Taiwan and Singapore, the classes explaining different sultra at the centers are free and are conducted daily. Those who cannot attend the classes can take the recorded lessons and view them at home. The books (sultras and teachings) and lessons recorded on DVDs in the library are all free to take. The books and DVD are printed and donated by fellow buddhists.

The main ideas behind is that Buddha teachings are not restricted to only those who has money to buy. :)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I think you may be thinking of osho http://www.osho.com/

osho not kosher.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2010
    zanomo wrote: »
    This may sound unbeliveable, but from where I am at in Hong Kong and what I know in the traditional buddhist centers in Taiwan and Singapore, the classes explaining different sultra at the centers are free and are conducted daily....
    The main ideas behind is that Buddha teachings are not restricted to only those who has money to buy. :)

That sounds great.

P
  • edited July 2010
    Hi,
    I've seen prices vary a great deal between different Buddhist groups!

However, the daily zazen sessions at a Zen center should be free of charge.

Good Luck
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks both. Although Scotland is about 350 - 400 miles away I could go on retreat there every year.

Sanghas are supported in very different ways in Asia, where most of the population contribute to their support. In most Asian countries, people in communities find that it is an honor to support spiritual teachers. In order to be good qualified teachers, the Sangha should not have to worry about food or lodging.

In Europe and America it is very different. It costs a lot of money for centers to be located in urban areas and there is usually no support from the community (few want to give money for a bunch of Monks in robes). The classes or retreats usually cost quite a bit, not unlike seminars that you would attend for your work. Most centers will usually lower fees and even teach for free if you are really in a bind. However, if you can spare the money it will ensure that the center keeps its doors opened and will benefit you long term. The teachings you will get will likely be more valuable than most things you can buy for yourself. So save up for the path would be my advice!
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    jinzang wrote: »
    Some centers operate by donation only (like ours. We have a "suggested donation" for events, but no pressure to pay it.)

Most centers and events I have attended have used this model. While they usually state a certain fee or suggested donation, they may include the phrase "No one will be turned away for lack of funds" or something similar.

I think that if you truly wanted to attend a certain teaching but were short on cash, emailing or calling in advance would be best and letting them know what you could pay (for example, perhaps they would accept $10 in place of $20). Another option would be offering to volunteer to help clean up or provide some other form of service in place of monetary payment.