Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tibetan Buddhism Question

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Basics
if Buddhism is an atheistic relgion why are there gods and godessess incorporated into Tibetan Buddhism? And are they rally deities or just metaphrical icons that they can relate to? For example my avatar is Tara the godess of comapssion which is sort of like Jesus. Is she a godess or just a metaphor?

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    The deities in Tibetan Buddhism are not outside yourself. They represent different aspects of enlightened mind. Yet they also exist in their own right. Does that clear it up? :winkc:

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Do Jungian archetypes exist on their own or are they part of 'group consciousness'?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Yes.
    edited November 2005
    Precisely!
  • edited November 2005
    Isn't deity worship a little primative. Did Buddha mention anything about deities?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I suppose deity worship could be considered primitive. Do you know anyone who practices it? Tibetan Buddhists don't. That's not what function the deities perform.
  • edited November 2005
    so Tibetan Dieties are supposed to be different aspects of the enlightened mind? That makes them metaphorical? I still dont understand can someone explain it more?
  • edited November 2005
    I just find it difficult to worship a any kind of deity period.
  • edited November 2005
    Can someone answer my question?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Again, nobody "worships" deities in Tibetan Buddhism! The deities represent various aspects of enlightened mind. Instead of "worshiping" a deity, the practitioner visualizes him or herself as the deity so that he/she begins to identify with the deity and to behave accordingly. For example, if your meditational deity is Chenrezig, your main focus would be on developing compassion in your mindstream. That said, it is equally true that these deities have an existence in their own right, but they cannot be separated from us. They are us and we are them.

Let me also add that it is easy to reject and criticize without knowing anything at all about what you are rejecting and criticizing. I would highly recommend that you at least take the trouble to look into a subject and learn all you can about it, and preferably do the practices, before you reject it out of hand because from what I've seen, people on this board often reject things out of hand without examining them. That leads to the kind of ignorance demonstrated by the Kansas State School Board in allowing creation "science" into the classrooms in lieu of real science. Just a word of advice from someone who's been around the block quite a few times.

Palzang
    Carlita
  • edited November 2005
    thanks Palzang I really need to be informed. I have been studying Tibetan Buddhism and it was hard to understand for me the concept of dieties but now you have cleared that up for me.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I can understand why it's hard to get your mind around the deities in Tibetan Buddhism because they do look very strange and foreign to our Western eyes. They were, of course, based on older archetypes that were borrowed and incorporated into a very profound practice technique. Most started as ancient Indian and Tibetan (Bon) animistic deities. When Buddhism came on the scene, rather then come up with new archetypes, it simply borrowed the old one and gave them new meaning. I'd love to see what American archetypes arise as Buddhism becomes more incorporated into the Western mind! Santa Bodhisattva? The Black Madonna as an emanation of Tara? Ronald McBodhisattva? Bart Simantabhadra? It boggles the mind!

Palzang
    edited November 2005
    USian archetypes? Scary, Palzang-la.

It is one of the wonders, to me, that the Tibetan deities are such powerful visual images, compassionate, protective and enlightening. I doubt whether we (European/USian) have such skillful cultural myths. Ours tend to be militaristic, paternalistic and authoritarian: King Arthur, Zorro, Frederick Barbarossa, Yhwh. Even the Western bodhisattva of compassion, Jesus of Nazareth, is transformed into a judge rather than the man who wept over Jerusalem.
  • MakarovMakarov Explorer
    edited November 2005
    Dear Nirvana Noob, I am new here and to Buddhism as well but I think I understand your question and concerns. I too am "troubled" by the apparent presence of what I view as deities. What I am gathering is that they are to be seen more as symbolic representations of various aspects or qualities that Buddhist hold highly but that they are not necessarily to be taken literally as existing deities. WARNING: I may very well be wrong here. This is just my beginners interpretation from things I have read.
    For me, at my infant like stage of knowledge, I choose to focus on Guatama, his life and teachings as my source of direction. The tantric aspects of some schools of Buddhism strike me as distracting and somewhat unsettling to be honest. I personally embrace those things which for me keep it as simple as possible. My home shrine consists of a 13" Shakyamuni statue, a simple pair of matching clear-glass incense & votive candle holders and three simple clear glass bowls for offerings placed upon a burgundy altar covering (table runner). I use a set of mala beads for meditation practice and thats about it.
    Perhaps at a later time I will better understand the role that these other aspects of Budhism play but for now, for me...it's Gautama, his teachings and putting them into daily practice.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I understand what you're saying, Makarov. Tantra isn't for everybody. You have to find the way that speaks to you and go with it. It's true, some people are put off by the deities, just as I am put off by the Nichiren idea of just chanting Amitabha's name. That's not to say that either are invalid, just what people relate to. That's why there are so many types of Buddhism. The teaching, however, is always the same, just presented in a different way. The advantage to tantra is that it is the quickest way to enlightenment, but like I said, not everyone's cup of tea. Deity practice can help us get into our own depth psychology, if you will, using them as a mirror to our own true nature. Practiced in this way they can be powerful meditation aids. But again, you have to follow your heart in these matters.

Simon: USian?! :crazy:

Palzang
    edited November 2005
    Makarov,

I think that you are wise. There was a great, English philospher, William of Occam (c.1285-1349) who wrote: Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem. Loosely translated, it means "Don't complicate things unless you have to", which is a pretty good rule of life.

In the Shakyamuni's own life and teaching, there is progression, movement, development. Part of the wonder of samsara is the sense of such movement: travel towards a goal. I'm sure that there are those, much more awake than I, who understand that there is no journey in reality but, for me, thre is great joy in discovering the unfolding landscapes of my 'pilgrimage'.

Nevertheless, for most of the time, I have to stick to what is simplest, to what I know. And, most of the time, that is very little. A spiritual lfe is like any other, it contains elements of craft, of skill. And these are learned. No point in trying to play a sport for one's country if one has never practised the sport or only seen it on TV.

Having attended a White Tara Initiation, I can say that the 'guided visualisation' is a thing of high craft, art even. As a storyteller and therapist, I have practised visualisation as a therapeutic tool and have never encountered anything of such complexity and sheer beauty in any Western manual. The aspects of mind addressed by the words went far beyond those that I could understand.

In discussing the whole question of Tibetan deities, I have needed to ditch all my post-Enlightenment scepticism - and I mean the 18th century Enlightenment on which our present secularity rests. I have had to stretch a mind I thought was "open", and have had to admit (all thanks to the Wishfulfilling Jewel) that there are vast swathes of understand that I do not have!

Having come from a tradition that will not bow down to wood or stone, nor take anything on someone else's say-so, I have had to shake even those categories!
    edited November 2005
    Palzang-la,

I use the term USian for my brother and sister who are citizens of the USA. I know it's clunky but, having Canadian relations by marriage, and friends elsewhere on the continent, particularly among First People, I make a distinction for the sake of clarity.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    No, I understood. Just a new-ism.

Good point about having to reevaluate old biases, Simon. If you're not willing to do that, you're not going to make any progress on the path no matter which flavor of Buddhism you choose. Change is the operative word here, and if you're not willing to do that, then you're just wasting your time. As Funkadelic says, "Free your mind and your ass will follow!"

Palzang
  • edited November 2005
    Well I guess I do know folk that do. Those of the Kadampa faith worship Dorje Shugden who is a worldly spirit.
    I have to admit my knowledge is poor with regard to Buddhism but again with what little I have picked up I cannot recalled Buddha mentioning Shudgen.
    I seems that this is a localised belief that has spread to the west without question.
    Please don't think I have a problem with Tibetan Buddhism as I respect and embrace the concept of compassion but to be honest I find the Deity thing a bit far fetched.
    Again I must point out that Buddha as far as I'm aware never mentioned Deities.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    One might equally question the existence of Angels and Archangels. There are those who firmly believe they have their own Guardian Angel. There is a prayer in Italian, for people to recite to their own Guardian Angel, seeking Illumination, Care, support and Guidance..... and while I have seen and heard many discussions and arguments as to the existence of God, and whether salvation is through Knowing Christ, I really haven't heard too many for - or against - the Angel theory....
    So perhaps the Buddhist/Tibetan deities and Devas could be viewed in the same light.... They're "middle Management" and as such, are 'responsible' for our (Buddhists) day to day Illumination, Care, Support and Guidance.....
    Just my rambling angle....;) !!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Well, of course the Buddha did. The god realms are one of the six realms of existence, if you'll recall. He even traveled to the god realm to teach his mother and the other gods. So again, as I said previously, best not to venture an opinion until you know what you're talking about. As for Dorje Shugden, that's a whole other ball of wax that really, imho, has nothing at all to do with Tibetan Buddhism other than that it is practiced by people who call themselves Tibetan Buddhists!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Palzang wrote:
    So again, as I said previously, best not to venture an opinion until you know what you're talking about.

Ooops, sorry....is that's what's known as 'my bad'...? :o :doh: :)
  • edited November 2005
    When the doctor arrived to remove the arrow, the man grabbed the doctor's hand and asked:
    "Before you start treating me, Doctor, tell me, who was it that shot me? Was he of warrior class or some other class? Was he tall or was he short? Was he young or was he old? Was he dark skinned or light skinned?"
    The doctor ignored the questions and removed the arrow. Had he taken the time to answer the questions, the patient would have died.

Palzang I am of the opinion that these beliefs are just folk traditions that have little credible connection with ordinary Buddhist beliefs.

I am have admit to be totally entertained by your website link its like Tibet monks meets Cesars Palace. And that hair?
    edited November 2005
    Palzang I am of the opinion that these beliefs are just folk traditions that have little credible connection with ordinary Buddhist beliefs.

And what do you mean by just folk traditions? From earlier posts, I gather that you do not like some aspects of Tibetan Buddhist practice, although I am not sure how much you understand about them. Are you dismissing folk traditions as being of no use?

I can think of many times when it was "folk memory" that has led us, as archaeologists, to sites previously unknown and, in medical science, to development of medecines from plant extracts. I am sure that you can think of other 'uses'.

And, what do you mean by "ordinary" Buddhist beliefs? Are these the beliefs of the majority of Buddhists, throughout the world, or do you mean the minimalist, reductionist Buddhism of Western new tradition? I find myself wondering whether your apparent annoyance at externals is not a reaction to ritualistic Christianity, rather than at Buddhist mythologies.

Palzang, as a monk in the Tibetan tradition, may hold beliefs that are alien to some of us. Scan the rest of us and you will find many and varied traditions. One of the strengths of this e-sangha is its tolerance of diversity. I have never found that hairstyle or waist measurement or skin colour mattered, nor do I think that gratuitous personal remarks strengthen argument. But, perhaps I have misunderstood your last comment and misread your attitude. If so, please accept my apologies.
  • edited November 2005
    You have a great mind Simon and your posts always carry weigh . However I am not in the business of making statement without considering the the reaction as I am sure you arent either. I say this with respect, my concern is with the way Buddhism is portrayed but the media and the way it portays itself to a public. A public which is increasingly interested by it as the world grows madder by the minute.
    There are many people out there who would be keen to engaged with Buddhists if it wasn't for the the Fablous Furry Freaks or Califorication that seem the dominate the wests take western buddhists. I not asking you to drop clause 4 here.

It needs and imagine overhaul. It needs to dust of the cobwebs and clean itself up. Especially when it come to people proclaiming to be monks by this order or that order the whole thing look less respectable than most boxing titles.

And Dieties are part of that too, they seem to be just ghosts of the past that present a hurdle to big for may to jump as they search for own their buddha nature.
    Finally Simon please don't to entrap my statements with issues of race as I believe you don't believe I am that person for one minute.

Even Bob Dyan went electric and remember what a fuss that caused.
    edited November 2005
    What you appear to be calling for, HH, is a Western and 'normative' Buddhism, whereas what we actually have is very different. It really does not matter what a few comic books may portray as Buddhism, any more than it matters how "Bible bashers" attack it.

Buddhism will not become "westernised" world-wide, nor, I suggest, would this be a good thing. Look at what has happened to Christianity. I am constantly amazed by how little so many 'low church' adherents know about the vast and diverse traditions of their faith. The baby has been chucked out with the bath water.

I find the slash movie The Passion of the Christ or the cartoon Miracle Worker far more offensive in their perversion of the complexity of the Jesus message than a few good jokes or Golden Child nonsense.

At least the distortions and ignorance about Buddhism are not yet fuelling violence. The same could not be said about the lies being spread about Islam.
  • edited November 2005
    Well I'm still searching and I am still agnostic...thank God no one has being given the exclusive rights to compassion.
    That is the problem with religion, we all believe we are right.
    So world continues to war.......

On the other hand " together united the workers will never be defeated".
    edited November 2005
    Well I'm still searching and I am still agnostic...thank God no one has being given the exclusive rights to compassion.

Hmmmm..... Says he's Agnostic, but still 'thanks God'......
    You throwing us a bit of a purler there, HH.....? :scratch: :lol:

I agree though, about the Compassion. Can't bottle it & sell it, but everyone has free, ready and easy access..... ;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    While it's true that Tibetan Buddhism uses the forms of much earlier spiritual traditions, it utilizes these forms as part of a system, a science if you will, that is much more advanced than the so-called advanced Western sciences, particularly in the area of depth psychology. So I see absolutely no advantage to be gained from chucking them out. They are not dusty relics to be sneered at and discounted. They are rather extraordinarily powerful means which help us achieve enlightenment in a very short time if used appropriately. This is something to get rid of?

Tibetan Buddhism is unique in that allows us to access an extremely ancient knowledge that has all but disappeared from the earth, a wisdom that reaches back to times when such knowledge led to some of humanity's most magnificent creations, such as the pyramids produced by the dusty old Egyptians which even today remain beyond our powers to recreate. So maybe instead of dissing these crusty old deities out of hand, it would be worth your time to look into it further. Just a thought...

Palzang
  • edited November 2005
    When thinking of use of tools and worship of deities it always helps me find comfort to consider The Two Truths that Buddha taught. What is relative and what is absolute? Does the grasping of such concepts distract us from being awake?
    “All conditioned things are impermanent.
    They are phenomena, subject to birth and death.
    When birth and death no longer are,
    The complete silencing is joy.” –Buddha
    Do the “Conditioned things” the Buddha refer to include our conceptions as well? In my limited knowledge of things I fail to see how the use of tools for our practice or the worship of deities can be a distraction as long as we consider the two truths. All things (by things I mean everything, absolute and relative) are part of the stream. I feel that the distinction we place on these “things” that can assist or hinder us from being truly awake.
    Mike
  • edited November 2005
    Well thats nice and cosy but how about the masses, you need to reach out to them. I simply believe that deities are part of the exotic. Deities in my mind were allowed to be incorporated in Tibetan Buddhism simple because they had a cultural purpose before Buddhism served a need in the Tibetan kingdom.

I guest it is comparible to pagan rituals being incorporated into christianity. I appreciation that they have had at times a very important role in the way the churchs communicated to folk and the success of Chistianity.
    I think Simon mentioned earlier that this effect has similary shaped Tibetan Buddhism and allowed it to flourish in Tibet.
    I find it incredible that today in Tibet, Nepal, India etc these cultures look to the advancements of the west with envy. Not simply because of the material gain but in the cultural advances we have made in our civilisation.
    Today in the West no one really believes that pagan gods have an impact on the world we live in unless you are a pagan. Certainly Christians don't pray to pagan gods but still allow their celebrations as a part of the Chistian calender.

With respect Deities might do it for you but how is it realising Buddha's wish to help every man and woman find their own Buddha nature. There is little or no evidence that Buddha spoke clearly about these many deities. He certainly refused the idea of a world full of Gods.
    His rejection of a world full of gods enfrancised the lower castes, thus allowing the spread of Buddhism across the India subcontinent. Not only did it provide a very practical hope but it was empowering.

Forget the exotic , let strip it back for a moment and concentrate on buddha nature. Once you make that your focus, hearts and mind can be won.

What I can except is Buddha nature is in us all as I can except that what christians call God is no external force but instead can exist in all of us when given the green light.

Surely what we must all be searching for is the devise that sets of the green light for all not exotic blue deities.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    First of all, Vajrayana was never designed for the masses. It's simply not for everybody, and that's OK. That's why there are different forms of Buddhism. As for the deities, you don't understand them, so why not drop it? Are you on a one-man crusade to change Vajrayana or something? I don't understand why they bother you so much. If you're not interested, go elsewhere. It's not really necessary that you feel in the "right", you know. If it works for some people and leads them to liberation, who are you to interfere with that?

Palzang
  • edited November 2005
    I am not sure why there is a need to "reach out" to the masses. To what side are we trying to win people's hearts and minds? We must remember the two truths. Is the use and concept of a deity required to be truly awake? No. Are these concepts helpful as the raft we use to cross the river? Yes. Doan Van Kham said, "Dharma brothers, do not be attached to the sign. The mountains and rivers around us are our teacher." Using or not using tools, deities, chants, meditation, rocks, trees, cookie monster, a cross, a book, or food is not condusive for waking up. Ten thousand things can help along the path but they are not the path. By embracing the buddha-dharma we have already bettered the whole.
    I love this sanha!
    Mike
    edited November 2005
    I think that you are confusing two different aspects of Buddhism, HH: the social and the wisdom paths.

Certainly, a Buddhist is considered to be outside the traditional Hindu caste system, which is why it has had great appeal to the harijans. It has also, in the new Western approach, engendered a new engagement and solidarity with the marginalised and with the environment - although the Tibetans in exile in Dharamshala plant gardens and pick up litter, whereas many of the Indians don't appear to give a damn.

But Buddhism is more than just a social message. As ven. Palzang has said, Tantra addresses other areas of human consciousness. It could be compared with (although, imho, it goes far beyond) depth psychology and psychotherapy. The aim of the psychotheraputic movement, from Freud onwards, has been the health of all humans, but is carried out one-to-one or in small groups. Of course, we can read the works of the great pioneers, Freud, Jung, Assagiloi and others, but it is only within the therapeutic relationship that the transformation occurs.

The word "wisdom" has come, somehow, to be seen as an elitist concept or something not worth pursuing. I submit that this is foolishly shortsighted. We ignore the depths at our peril. But, because the study of tantra is among the advanced practices, we will already have moved through earlier stages and have worked as well as studied for the betterment of all beings.

You appear to suggest that the deity concept (which you have told us you do not understand and which is still very mysterious to me) militates against social action. I cannot understand how you work that one out.
  • edited November 2005
    Palzang why are you getting up tight ?
    Off course I'm interested. Just enough to ask questions and look for counter arguement. It's called debate. You seem to be unconfortable about this?

"It's not really necessary that you feel in the "right", you know. If it works for some people and leads them to liberation, who are you to interfere with that"?
    Palzang.

Liberation is a big word and means many things. For me it's empower and ability to control ones own life. It means something real.
  • edited November 2005
    Can anyone give me any good links/references so I can study Tibetan Buddhism more?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    All,

My opinion might not carry much weight, but I believe that granting respect to any belief or traditoin is important. At times we all make mistakes, I am certainly one who has placed his foot in his mouth more than once, but we should still make the effort to try and be understanding.

While I do not practice Tibetan (Vajrayana) Buddhism I can appreciate it for what it offers. Whether or not we agree with everything taught in the Vajrayana schools of Buddhism (or vice versa in the Theravada, or other Mahayana schools), we should still look upon them with compassion and respect. It seems like folly to me to harbor any sort of ill-will towards others who choose to walk along the same Noble Eightfold Path.

Asking questions and debating certain points of Dhamma is quite acceptable, but perhaps the tone of such questions and debates should be offered with the same compassion and respect that we would want offered to us.

Just some thoughts.

:)

Jason
    edited November 2005
    Can anyone give me any good links/references so I can study Tibetan Buddhism more?

The World of Tibetan Buddhism by H. H. the Dalai Lama (Wisdom Publications, Boston. 1995)
  • edited November 2005
    Well Said Elohim!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I'm not being uptight, HH. It's just when someone continually ignores what I say that I begin to wonder what the motivation is. Debate is one thing; unwillingness to at least listen to the other person is something quite different. Eh?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Just one more thing, if I may. As it is written:
    The ultimate point of the practice is the effort put into the practice.
    The ultimate point of practice is to liberate our mindstreams.

Everything else is skillful means that leads us to this point.

Palzang
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I don't believe an effort has been made in answering Herman's questions.

Isn't questioning one of the lessons Buddha taught?

The statement made to HH of:
    While it's true that Tibetan Buddhism uses the forms of much earlier spiritual traditions, it utilizes these forms as part of a system, a science if you will, that is much more advanced than the so-called advanced Western sciences, particularly in the area of depth psychology. So I see absolutely no advantage to be gained from chucking them out. They are not dusty relics to be sneered at and discounted. They are rather extraordinarily powerful means which help us achieve enlightenment in a very short time if used appropriately. This is something to get rid of?

doesn't really answer anything.

What science are we talking about here? None that I can think of. What psychology? None that I can think of.

Saying this is like saying "just because people don't understand the meaning of shaking a stick into a dark hole doesn't invalidate it's power or purpose!"

Of course it doesn't. We're only doing the actions. Tibetan monks are only meditating - what happens because of this, as far as I can tell, is really outside of their control.

For example, deviously minded Western scientists have be able to document the change in brain activity in Buddhist monks doing (I believe) compassion meditation. Or maybe it really doesn't matter what kind of meditation it was.
    But, is one of the mysteries of Buddhism? Or just a by-product of meditation? And if this is something that Buddhists have known all along, why are they waving this fact around like a banner now? Is this the science of deep psychology that Buddhists have known about for centuries but just found out about it in the 21st century?

I think HH might be asking some hard questions and possibly not using his US Daily Allowance of Vitamin T.A.C. and T - but I think he's just asking questions trying to figure out how something works for some people.

And who knows - maybe Palzang could show him the light and Herman could turn out to be

SuperBuddhist!

-bf

This was the post I had lost - so I don't even know if I got everything in here that I had originally written, re-read, laughed out loud about, showed to my friends and family, printed off to hang above my desk at work and ... wept over like a beautiful child.

I had made a point about how being questioned over a certain belief of Buddhist could cause someone to possibly get upset - and how that might be an attachment to a label - but I think I had done it a little more tactfully in my first attempt...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    What I think has been lost in this whole discussion is the one essential point, that Vajrayana Buddhism is a mystical form of Buddhism, mystical in the sense that it operates outside our conventional world view. In other words, is is not approachable using science, psychology, logic or any other mental process we in the West are brought up to use and trust implicitly in. We're not taught to trust mysticism or to even understand it in the West. That's not true in other cultures, however, such as Tibetan or Mongolian. There mysticism comes with mother's milk, so it's not such a mystery to these people. When I was in Mongolia this summer, I met some people who lived near a sacred mountain in the Gobi. These people told me that the mountain speaks to them, gives them prophesies. Who am I to say that it doesn't just because I can't hear it? There are ancient forms of wisdom that have been lost in the West, but these people still live and experience them daily. It's natural to them, just like the scientific method is natural to us, which in turn is a mystery to these people. When they see a jet plane flying overhead, how it does that is as complete a mystery to them as talking mountains are to us.

The same is true with the deities of Vajrayana Buddhism. When you open your mind to the possibility, the possibilities are unlimited. When you close your mind to the possibility that deity practice can accomplish anything, then of course it will not. But it is possible for us scientific Westerners to access this other reality. I know because I was trained as a scientist and for a long time thought of logic and scientific method as the only ways to go to find truth. I have since discovered that I was wrong and that indeed those methods only can take you so far. They are excellent techniques for understanding relative, dualistic reality, but they are completely useless when trying to understand nondual enlightened reality. For that we need a new paradigm, one outside of ordinary view. So that's the value of deity practice because it can be used to access levels of reality beyond what our samsaric senses can ever access. I have seen things with my own eyes that are completely inexplicable using Western reason and logic, yet see them I have. They were neither hallucinations nor delusions, but a different level of reality.

So you can discount deities or not, up to you, but the technology is there, and the choice is yours.

Palzang
    edited November 2005
    I would add to Palzang's wise comments above that the loss of the mystical from some branches of Christianity is seen by many of us as one of the greatest disaster to hit the churches.

Christianity has vast swathes of mystical literature which tends to be sidelined or completely ignored by too many people. It leaves Christianity crippled and the results are there for all to see.

Fortunately, this does not apply throughout the churches. Mystical prayer continues to be taught and, in the UK, the growth of the Spiritual Direction movement is interesting in this context. The work of Evelyn Underhill has been re-discovered and treasured.

I would also point out that it is only a short time ago that Saint John of the Cross had a valued place on student bookshelves.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Palzang wrote:
    What I think has been lost in this whole discussion is the one essential point, that Vajrayana Buddhism is a mystical form of Buddhism, mystical in the sense that it operates outside our conventional world view. In other words, is is not approachable using science, psychology, logic or any other mental process we in the West are brought up to use and trust implicitly in. We're not taught to trust mysticism or to even understand it in the West. That's not true in other cultures, however, such as Tibetan or Mongolian. There mysticism comes with mother's milk, so it's not such a mystery to these people. When I was in Mongolia this summer, I met some people who lived near a sacred mountain in the Gobi. These people told me that the mountain speaks to them, gives them prophesies. Who am I to say that it doesn't just because I can't hear it? There are ancient forms of wisdom that have been lost in the West, but these people still live and experience them daily. It's natural to them, just like the scientific method is natural to us, which in turn is a mystery to these people. When they see a jet plane flying overhead, how it does that is as complete a mystery to them as talking mountains are to us.

The same is true with the deities of Vajrayana Buddhism. When you open your mind to the possibility, the possibilities are unlimited. When you close your mind to the possibility that deity practice can accomplish anything, then of course it will not. But it is possible for us scientific Westerners to access this other reality. I know because I was trained as a scientist and for a long time thought of logic and scientific method as the only ways to go to find truth. I have since discovered that I was wrong and that indeed those methods only can take you so far. They are excellent techniques for understanding relative, dualistic reality, but they are completely useless when trying to understand nondual enlightened reality. For that we need a new paradigm, one outside of ordinary view. So that's the value of deity practice because it can be used to access levels of reality beyond what our samsaric senses can ever access. I have seen things with my own eyes that are completely inexplicable using Western reason and logic, yet see them I have. They were neither hallucinations nor delusions, but a different level of reality.

So you can discount deities or not, up to you, but the technology is there, and the choice is yours.

Palzang

I think "this" is a valid response. You make some great points, Palzang.

See? I knew you could do it? I knew you had it in ya. You just needed a little goading from Bad Karma Boy to get you tippy-typing away for us!

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Well, like I always say, nothing like a little bad karma to rock your boat!

Pal(BK)zang
  • edited November 2005
    great points palzang, but arent we getting alittle off track here? I mean u talk about the who psychology scientifc thing and then Simon with the whole prayer thing.
    edited November 2005
    If the word 'prayer' has dissonant overtones for you, NN, I can understand. The rubbish that passes for prayer in most churches is enough to put even the great saints off.

What I am talking about is the mystical experience.
  • edited November 2005
    Oh ok now I see what you where talking about simon
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Not off topic at all, Noob. The practice of deities in Vajrayana is very much a mystical practice, so the comparison to Western psychology and science is apt in the context of my explanation.

Palzang