Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Becoming a monk

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
This is nothing I could do anytime soon, but it's interesting to think about. I know it's a huge decision that drastically influences your life, but do you still live a SOMEWHAT normal life? Like, for one thing do you live on the monastary? And if so you're allowed to leave and stuff right? And can you stay seeing your family a decent amount? And can you have non-monk friends? What about use of the internet? I've always been one to go all in on things, which makes ONE DAY possibly becoming a monk appealing, but I don't think I could do it if it meant giving up everything like family and stuff.

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    The answer for all your questions is "it depends", what tradition/lineage do you want to ordain in? Which country? Which particular monastery? Every monastery has its own unique set of rules.
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    This is nothing I could do anytime soon, but it's interesting to think about. I know it's a huge decision that drastically influences your life, but do you still live a SOMEWHAT normal life? Like, for one thing do you live on the monastary? And if so you're allowed to leave and stuff right? And can you stay seeing your family a decent amount? And can you have non-monk friends? What about use of the internet? I've always been one to go all in on things, which makes ONE DAY possibly becoming a monk appealing, but I don't think I could do it if it meant giving up everything like family and stuff.

Being a monk is really no big deal - just be prepared to work a lot harder than you imagine. The main feature of a monastic is that you are a renunciate - that you renounce the ordinary pleasures of the world which might mean giving away your CD collection.

Being ordained very much depends on your motivation. It also depends on your circumstances and the tradition which you follow.

There are many variables.

My best advice is to talk to the local Buddhist centre you attend.

But just to distill you anxiety - there is no need to give up family. However, if you are married with children then there are certain problems - not the least of which is that monastics are celibate.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »

Hi TheJourney.
    Define normal.
    OK serously now.Remember I am answering from a Theravadist point of view and some of the posts above have said things vary from tradition to tradition and from temple to temple.This is very true.
    Yes I live at the monastary but I am free to go out(I think that is what you mean)However I am not supposed to go into town after midday except in an emergency and with the permission of another monk.
    Personally I can not see my family a lot as they live in New Zealand and I live in Malaysia,but I have many monk friends in Thailand who see their families on a regular basis.
    I have many lay(non monk)friends and yes as you can see I have internet access.
    Again remember that things vary from temple to temple and I know of some that would not allow things like internet access.
    I hope this helps you to understand a little more.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I agree, it totally depends on the tradition. I, for example, am a fully ordained gelong monk in the Tibetan tradition, but I don't live in a monastery and I have a full-time job. So I basically have one foot in each world, so to speak. You could call it meditation in action. Living like that presents some unique difficulties but also presents lots of opportunities as well. Other monks, such as the Theravadin monks out in West Virginia, live a totally monastic life. Zen monks, at least most places, can actually marry (a relic of Japanese history). So you need to define what sort of monk you want to be and then check into the specifics of that tradition and the monastery or whatever you would be living at. While the vows are generally the same (except for the Zennies), the lifestyles can be quite different.

Palzang
    edited October 2010
    Sorry,off topic slighty.
    Palzang my friend.When you go to work do you remain in your robes and what sort of job do you do?
    I remember the first time I went to McCleodganj(not sure if spelling is correct)and going to a restaurant run by monks.I will admit to being surprised when a monk gave me my menu and took my order.Great restuarant btw and excellent food,but not sure the monks were cooking
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I don't generally wear my robes at work. We're not required to, and it would be a distraction for the most part. I did wear them at one job until I realized that the owner of the company was using me and the other monk working there as sort of trophys to help legitimize his bogus self-help scam (I quit the same day). It depends a lot on the job, of course. Right now I'm working for a government contractor in Bethesda, Maryland, and the feds get uptight about public displays of religion, so I don't wear them. The way I look at it is if I need to wear my robes to be a monk, then I'm not really much of a monk.

Palzang
    edited October 2010
    Ok cool.I just wondered because the monks in the restaurant were all in robes,but I could anticipate all sorts of problems in the USA.You know,your'e supposed to be working and people wanting to ask questions all the time.
    I totally agree about if you had to wear your robes to be a monk then you wouldn't be a very good monk.
    With metta
    edited October 2010
    Sorry for this post.Just wanted to add something.
    As a monk in the Theravada tradition I am required to wear my robes at all times(not when sleeping or showering of course).There is even a rule on how far away I am allowed to be from my robes at anytime.Can't remember how far,will look it up and see.
  • edited October 2010
    Do the bhikkhu vows apply here anywhere?
  • edited October 2010
    monks are such diverse group of people really , very interesting..... there are also hybrid lay disciple / monk arrangements too i think... lots of monasteries have work exchange programs which could probably give you taste of what being a monk is like without committing fully to complete ordination and such..... something to consider for many of us
  • edited October 2010
    I lived at hwa gye sa (화 계 사 in korean if anyone is interested) for two months earlier this year. This is how it works with the Jogye Order, and it is different depending on what organization you are a monk with.

First, you do a 6 month "training period," where you work from before sunrise till after sundown (I was able to skip this step since I had practiced with the head monk before in the US). It's brutal. They told me less then 15% of the people that start it actually finish the training period. So it's about on par with being a Navy SEAL. once you become a monk, you wake up at 3AM every day for the rest of the time you live at a temple. the only time that isn't true is if you are very sick, but even then, if you've been a monk long enough, you're expected to be there. 8 months out of the year are in retreat. there are two 1 month retreats, and two 3 month retreats. during those retreats, you sit 9 hours a day, every day. when you aren't on retreat, you still sit about 2 1/2-3 hours a day, and 4 1/2-5 hours on sunday. you can miss the schedule voluntarily twice, and the third time, you're out. not welcome back as a monk.

it's a brutal lifestyle choice. I did it for two months and went into deep depression, simply because my bodily clock couldn't adjust to waking up at 3 in the morning (and I was given a break for the first month, being able to wake up at 5 instead of 3, I have a chemical imbalance, and as such, I *need* more sleep than the average person does to the tune for two to three hours). not to mention the fact that during the retreats, unless the head monk lets you, you can't leave the temple.

This is just the Jogye order in Korea. I'd look into specifically what the rules and expectations are for whatever organization you want to be a monk it. But don't expect it to be all that different. Being a buddhist monk is probably the hardest life anyone could chose for themselves. make sure you're aware of what you're getting yourself into
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    CPaul wrote: »
    Being a buddhist monk is probably the hardest life anyone could chose for themselves. make sure you're aware of what you're getting yourself into

If it is the "hardest life" then it probably isn't the "Middle Way".
    "Bhikkhus, these two extremes ought not to be cultivated by one gone forth from the house-life. What are the two? There is devotion to indulgence of pleasure in the objects of sensual desire, which is inferior, low, vulgar, ignoble, and leads to no good; and there is devotion to self-torment, which is painful, ignoble and leads to no good.

"Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta: Setting Rolling the Wheel of Truth" (SN 56.11), translated from the Pali by Ñanamoli Thera. Access to Insight, June 14, 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn56/sn56.011.nymo.html
  • edited October 2010
    Bhikkhu

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhikku
  • edited October 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    If it is the "hardest life" then it probably isn't the "Middle Way".

"Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta: Setting Rolling the Wheel of Truth" (SN 56.11), translated from the Pali by Ñanamoli Thera. Access to Insight, June 14, 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn56/sn56.011.nymo.html

I'm sure there are harder. It was perhaps not an appropriate word to use. You get 3 meals a day and a place to live, and are not caught up in physical violence, either from yourself or from others. My point was to show that, compared to comfortable western living, it is a very, very hard life.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    CPaul wrote: »
    My point was to show that, compared to comfortable western living, it is a very, very hard life.

Ah, fair enough.