Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who here is enlightened?

ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
How do you know?

For those who are not, how do you know you're not?

Comments

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    We're all enlightened, we just don't know it. :)
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    >_< You and your Buddhist mind tricks!
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Is enlightenment a gradual transition or a singular change?

namaste
  • edited October 2010
    Those who know do not tell. Those who tell do not know.
  • edited October 2010
    If I felt I had reached full awakening, the last thing I would do is announce it publically.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    "We are one blink of an eye away from being fully awake."
    -- Pema Chodron

"Blink dammit! Blink!"
    -- Bonsai Doug
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited October 2010
    "We are one blink of an eye away from being fully awake."
    -- Pema Chodron

"Blink dammit! Blink!"
    -- Bonsai Doug

:D Very good; that made me smile!

Blinking away like daft here.
  • edited October 2010
    Tosh wrote: »
    Blinking away like daft here.

Don't blink and drive! (warning: contains spoilers :lol:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6wq20cZosQ&feature=related :eek:
  • edited October 2010
    I have not yet quenched my 'thirst' for the pleasant and 'aversion' for the unpleasant. This is all I'm awake to at present.... ;)
    edited October 2010
    One thing worth considering here is how enlightenment seems in the ancient texts. It comes over as something that happens relativity often, and without the life of lotus posture required, that we tend to think today.

One thing all religions seem to do is distance the sacred goals away from the layity and towards the religious leaders. This seems to have happened with Buddhism today but it doesn't seem to have been like it in the times of the Buddha, quite the opposite.

If enlightenment really is mundane and really is to do just withing seeing dependent origination and its conditioning then maybe loads of people are enlightened in the same way the buddha was but, because of the religious nature of enlightenment today, they cannot accept that they are enlightened?

namaste
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I don't know about "Enlightenment" but, according to Theravadin teachers, those with a mature practice will speak and behave with virtue. This virtue has characteristics called The Four Brahma-Viharas. Equanimity, Loving kindness, Sympathetic Joy, and Compassion. The teaching my Sangha has received is cultivate these qualities through practice.
  • edited October 2010
    I think that those who are enlightened don't go around talking about it, as humility is a big part of it. Asserting yourself over others does nothing to help you live a virtuous life or in your helping others.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    thickpaper wrote: »

enlightenment really is just within seeing dependent origination and its conditioning
    then
    maybe loads of people are enlightened
    true, and this is seeing 'the light'
    in the same way the buddha was
    to come to this stage one has to get rid of all defilement of the mind, and this is 'become the light'
    but, because of the religious nature of enlightenment today, they cannot accept that they are enlightened?
    is it necessary to accept by anyone?
    is it necessary to proclaim?

NO

There is no need
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    I think that those who are enlightened don't go around talking about it, as humility is a big part of it. Asserting yourself over others does nothing to help you live a virtuous life or in your helping others.

I don't think that humility enters into it. The dharma is well rooted, so there is no need to sell it anymore... the credence is present to any who openly looks.

Claiming enlightenment is somewhat of an enigma, because applying an label to self requires threads that aren't present... long before suffering fully ceases. Much like a dead person would not call themselves dead, because the conditions for speech are no longer present.

Depending, of course, what is meant by 'enlightenment'. Some use it much like the word "insight".
  • edited October 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    Much like a dead person would not call themselves dead...

LOL:lol:
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I am! I am!!! Aren't I?

What? You mean I'm NOT!?!? Jeez... that's so disappointing.

:)
    edited October 2010
    There may not be a need to proclaim, but if someone asked, what's the harm in answering?

If a person is kind and compassionate, has a level of wisdom and insight and doesn't act out of anger or greed are they enlightened?

So I was thinking, overcoming suffering isn't that hard and not letting negative emotions guide us is quite achievable. The compassion and selfless kindness is somewhat hard (for me). Gil Fronsdal said the answer he got to the question "how do you know when somebody is enlightened?" was "They are kinder to everybody".

I can see how that would work. Altruistic compassion and kindness would be a sort of last step in a lot of cases. I can think of other cases too, I know plenty of selfless people who suffer over the little thing, so perhaps for them overcoming suffering would be the last step.

Or is that not enough? Is it complete purity of the mind (+body+spirit?)? "get rid of all defilement of the mind", as upekka put it. Is that even possible? Is anything so absolute? I think not.

From my pondering, enlightenment isn't instant or in discrete stages, but there are milestones. Also, after enlightenment there's still lots of room for improvement, it isn't a "big thing" and can quite easily be reversed.

I can also see how false enlightenment due to a lack of insight can happen. For example, I thought I was a pretty decent person, but as it turns out I do some pretty selfish and self-centered things. I couldn't see it before, so if I was to overcome suffering I would've thought there are no further steps.

Or am I way off? Is enlightenment indeed instantaneous and absolute purity? Or perhaps somewhere in between? What do you think?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    How do you know?
    "When he knows and sees in this way, his mind becomes liberated from the canker of sensual desire, liberated from the canker of becoming, liberated from the canker of ignorance. When liberated, there is knowledge: 'It is liberated'; and he knows: 'Birth is exhausted, the life of purity has been lived, the task is done, there is no more of this to come.' Such a monk is called 'one bathed with the inner bathing."

"Vatthupama Sutta: The Simile of the Cloth" (MN 7), translated from the Pali by Nyanaponika Thera. Access to Insight, June 14, 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.007.nypo.html
    For those who are not, how do you know you're not?

Because there is no knowledge that "it is liberated"...so presumably "it is not liberated". Plus there is still plenty of avijja and tanha.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Also, after enlightenment there's still lots of room for improvement, it isn't a "big thing" and can quite easily be reversed.

According to the Sutta quote that I just posted, this would not appear to be the case: 'Birth is exhausted, the life of purity has been lived, the task is done, there is no more of this to come.'
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    One thing worth considering here is how enlightenment seems in the ancient texts. It comes over as something that happens relativity often, and without the life of lotus posture required, that we tend to think today.

It could be that it was easier for people to become enlightened because they had the best and most inspiring Teacher...The Buddha! Granted, we can access the Buddha's words in the Suttas and I am very grateful for this, but I don't think it would compare with actually meeting and talking to the Buddha. If the Suttas are accurate, some people became Stream-Enterer's merely upon hearing a discourse.
    One thing all religions seem to do is distance the sacred goals away from the layity and towards the religious leaders. This seems to have happened with Buddhism today but it doesn't seem to have been like it in the times of the Buddha, quite the opposite.

While I believe that lay people can become enlightened, it seems that many people (both now and in the time of the Buddha) recognize that the monastic path may be more suitable for pursuing the goal:
    "A householder, or a householder's son, or one born into some other family, hears the Dhamma. Having heard the Dhamma, he gains faith in the Tathagata. Endowed with such faith, he reflects: 'The household life is crowded, a path of dust. Going forth is like the open air. It is not easy for one dwelling at home to lead the perfectly complete, perfectly purified holy life, bright as a polished conch. Let me then shave off my hair and beard, put on saffron robes, and go forth from the household life into homelessness.'

http://www.leighb.com/mn38.htm

Even the Buddha-to-be left home.
    If enlightenment really is mundane and really is to do just withing seeing dependent origination and its conditioning then maybe loads of people are enlightened in the same way the buddha was but, because of the religious nature of enlightenment today, they cannot accept that they are enlightened?

It depends what you mean by "seeing"...do you mean thinking about it? Even understanding what it means on an intellectual level? This is useful, but I don't think it is the same thing as perfecting Right View (first stage of enlightenment). Perfecting Right View means that we have actually seen that form, feeling, perception, mental formations, consciousness are impermanent, suffering and not-self...I understand on an intellectual level that this is the case, but I certainly haven't seen it for myself.
    edited October 2010
    GuyC, that's open to interpretation, is it not? When I read it I saw it like this:
    When he knows and sees in this way, his mind becomes liberated from the canker of sensual desire, liberated from the canker of becoming, liberated from the canker of ignorance.

This part refers to dependent arising. So, it's basically talking about the second and third noble truths. It means overcoming suffering and is only referring to suffering.
    When liberated, there is knowledge: 'It is liberated'; and he knows: 'Birth is exhausted, the life of purity has been lived, the task is done, there is no more of this to come.' Such a monk is called 'one bathed with the inner bathing."

Still talking about dependent arising. The mind is liberated of suffering. You've follower the eightfold path and have achieved cessation of suffering. There's no more suffering.

Sure, but when I meant room for improvement I meant more joy, more compassion, more helping and so on. As the zen saying goes "Before Enlightenment chop wood carry water, after Enlightenment, chop wood carry water." right?

By 'it can be reversed' I think you can slip back into suffering. I can see how this particular point (reversal) is arguable, and I don't think this ultimately matters, so I'll leave this.

GuyC, I don't think that quote contradicts what I said. I don't think I twisted it in any way either, just interpreted it in context. It's important to pay attention to what is refereed to by "this" and "it" and what is meant by birth, task and life of purity. It's all within the context of the four noble truths and dependent arising.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    The point I was trying to make was that (according to my, possibly incorrect, interpretation of the Suttas it appears that...) the Arahant knows they have achieved the goal. There is no room for doubt. No falling back. Birth is exhausted.
    edited October 2010
    Ah yeah, fair enough.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    There may not be a need to proclaim, but if someone asked, what's the harm in answering?
    if the one who get the answer do not believe it, then there will be unnecessary defilement (kilesa) would arise in his mind and that is harmful for the one who get the answer and do not believe it

If a person is kind and compassionate, has a level of wisdom and insight and doesn't act out of anger or greed are they enlightened?
    but outsiders can not know that his action are (still) based on delusion, therefore outsiders can not know for sure whether the said person is enlightened or not

So I was thinking, overcoming suffering isn't that hard and not letting negative emotions guide us is quite achievable. The compassion and selfless kindness is somewhat hard (for me).
    that is because still there is delusion
    Gil Fronsdal said the answer he got to the question "how do you know when somebody is enlightened?" was "They are kinder to everybody".

but there are people who are kinder to everybody and still are not enlightened
    Altruistic compassion and kindness would be a sort of last step in a lot of cases.
    this is the byproduct of enlightenement
    I can think of other cases too, I know plenty of selfless people who suffer over the little thing, so perhaps for them overcoming suffering would be the last step.
    knowing what is the suffering exactly is, knowing how to get rid of suffering, working on it is the last step
    working on it itself is the overcoming suffering
    Is it complete purity of the mind ?
    yes
    it says:
    avoid bad
    do good
    purify the mind
    this is all Buddhas advice

if it is not possible Buddha's wouldn't ask us to do so
    "get rid of all defilement of the mind", as upekka put it. Is that even possible? Is anything so absolute? I think not.

From my pondering, enlightenment isn't instant or in discrete stages, but there are milestones. Also, after enlightenment there's still lots of room for improvement, it isn't a "big thing" and can quite easily be reversed.

I can also see how false enlightenment due to a lack of insight can happen. For example, I thought I was a pretty decent person, but as it turns out I do some pretty selfish and self-centered things. I couldn't see it before, so if I was to overcome suffering I would've thought there are no further steps.

Or am I way off? Is enlightenment indeed instantaneous and absolute purity? Or perhaps somewhere in between? What do you think?
    it is high time to stop pondering and thinking
    instead try to DO and experience
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    In my opinion, kindness and compassion are both a fruit of the practice and part of the practice itself (i.e. Right Intention). We keep strengthening it (i.e. Right Effort) until it is perfected.
    edited October 2010
    GuyC, exactly. Throwing compassion in as a requirement might have been a bit misleading on my behalf. However, I would imagine that someone who has overcome their own suffering would be much more compassionate to others.

uppeka, you speak in a very matter of fact way. Are you an expert of some sort? (genuine question, don't take it the wrong way)
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    How about this quote from Jamgon Mipham's commentary on Chandrakirti's Madhyamakavatara.
    "The nature or ultimate reality of phenomena is hidden from us because of ignorance. This nature is misapprehended and not perceived as it really is;and this erroneous perception is called the all-concealing or relative level, because it covers or obscures the ultimate reality or status of phenomena. (Relative) phenomena, contrived by ignorance, do appear as true to the individual who is aware of them, and this is why the Buddha referred to them as all-concealing or relative truth. Sublime beings, on the other hand-Shravakas and Pratyeka-buddhas who attain arhatship, and Bodhisattvas-have dispelled, in some measure and according to their different levels, the ignorance of apprehending phenomena as truly existent.The contrived appearances that occur in the postmeditation of the three kinds of superior beings, who see every thing as illusion, are "relative", that is to say the "bare relative" They are not, in this case relative truths because sublime beings do not in the slightest way assent to their reality. It is therefore ignorance that acts as the condition on account of which the nature of things is misapprehended.
    This is from, as many of you know, a fairly long and (for me) grueling commentary. I am barely scratching the surface on my second reading of it. For this thread I think that this passage describes in part what enlightenment amounts to and the possibility that it occurs in degrees. To me it also speaks to the difficulty of expressing the experience of enlightenment to those of us who are convinced that what we perceive everyday is a relative "truth".-P
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    GuyC, exactly. I would imagine that someone who has overcome their own suffering would be much more compassionate to others.
    that is why i said compassion is a byproduct of enlightenment
    Buddha is said to be the most compassionate one and delivered Dhamma he revealed to the world because of his compassion for worldlings

uppeka, you speak in a very matter of fact way. Are you an expert of some sort? (genuine question, don't take it the wrong way)
    i take it as a compliment
    i have no doubt about Buddha's Teaching anymore
    i have no doubt about Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha anymore
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Enlightenment is very simply knowing the truth about yourself - we all know that - but we think and act in ways inconsistent with that knowledge for ten thousand reasons - until the thoughts and actions string together to weave a false identity that seems very, very real - and the truth is obscured - and enlightenment seems very, very distant and unattainable without much hard work - confusing, yes - but worth the struggle - practice for the sake of practice......that's enlightenment....

Who is enlightened? Don't know.
    edited October 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    It could be that it was easier for people to become enlightened because they had the best and most inspiring Teacher

Maybe! But that would make Dharma about a personality rather than the truth, perhaps? it certainly doenst seem to be the spirit of what the buddha taught when alive.

Granted, we can access the Buddha's words in the Suttas and I am very grateful for this....

Alas, we cannot access the Buddha's words, just the echos of them.

If the Suttas are accurate, some people became Stream-Enterer's merely upon hearing a discourse.

Yes! this is my point:) Does that mean that the Buddha had a manic gift to bring this on, or does it mean what was taught was what was important?
    While I believe that lay people can become enlightened, it seems that many people (both now and in the time of the Buddha) recognize that the monastic path may be more suitable for pursuing the goal.

There wasn't really that life until after his death, I reckon.

It depends what you mean by "seeing"...do you mean thinking about it?

I mean the whole shebang:) The mental, meditative, philosophical, pragmatic etc aspects...

namaste
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Maybe! But that would make Dharma about a personality rather than the truth, perhaps? it certainly doenst seem to be the spirit of what the buddha taught when alive.

If you read the Suttas many people who see the Buddha are instantly impressed by both his appearance and the way he conducts himself. It is said that he possesses all of the "32 marks of a great man". This is probably especially convincing for those with a devotional personality.

To imply that personality has no influence on learning the Dhamma I think would be a mistake. For example different teachers/different meditation techniques may be more or less suited to certain people based upon their mental disposition.

Another point worth mentioning is that the Buddha was said to be able to thoroughly know the minds of others, so (if this is true) he knew exactly what teaching was the most suitable to a particular person. Even Venerable Sariputta who was called "the foremost in wisdom" made some mistakes in choosing a suitable meditation object.
    Yes! this is my point:) Does that mean that the Buddha had a manic gift to bring this on, or does it mean what was taught was what was important?

Yet another possibility is that it could have something to do with the Paramis of the listeners who were fortunate enough to be born as human beings while the Buddha was alive.
    edited October 2010
    To imply that personality has no influence on learning the Dhamma I think would be a mistake.

Maybe. I guess it depends on what you think Dharma is?
    Another point worth mentioning is that the Buddha was said to be able to thoroughly know the minds of others, so (if this is true) he knew exactly what teaching was the most suitable to a particular person.

I don't believe such accounts are accurate. I don't believe any of the more "magical" aspects are accurate at all, in fact:)

Yet another possibility is that it could have something to do with the Paramis of the listeners who were fortunate enough to be born as human beings while the Buddha was alive.

So one's potential to escape samsara or the idea of samsara is based upon historical context? This doesn't seem to be the dharma the Buddha discovered and taught, least not to me.

Another possibility is that enlightenment is a supremely mundane realisation and over the years the mundane has been suppressed by the mystical, I don't consider this too far fetched.

namaste
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Well I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)
    edited October 2010
    Well I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

Sure:) And for the record, I'm not even close to sure I agree with myself on this issue.

namaste
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010

Can it not be both?
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I've been listening to Adyashanti (True Meditation) and he's from the Zen tradition. Anyway, he says many people start off with an incorrect interpretation of what Enlightenment is. He said people think it's an altered state of perception, a bit like how being happy, sad, or depressed is an altered state of perception.

He's said that's rollox, and Enlightenment is actually the 'natural state of being'.

Speaking from my own experience, I've had two (pitifully short) experiences of being absolutely peaceful and everything felt and looked beautiful - it wasn't drug or alcohol induced - it only lasted maybe less than a minute (it went when I tried to hold onto it), once while meditating (a few months after I started meditating) and once while smoking a very normal cigarette first thing in the morning by my front door (I do this every morning, but never felt like this).

Both short periods felt like nothing I've experienced before and I'm not articulate enough to describe them fully.

If those short periods of absolute calmness is anything like Enlightenment; I want more of it.
  • edited October 2010
    If those short periods of absolute calmness is anything like Enlightenment; I want more of it.

That could be an obstacle ;)
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited October 2010
    That could be an obstacle ;)

I know! :D

It keeps me motivated though.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I would not even know how a person would really know. But I know I am not.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Speaking from my own experience, I've had two (pitifully short) experiences of being absolutely peaceful and everything felt and looked beautiful - it wasn't drug or alcohol induced - it only lasted maybe less than a minute (it went when I tried to hold onto it)

You learnt an important lesson: clinging leads to suffering, letting go leads to peace.
  • edited October 2010
    You learnt an important lesson: clinging leads to suffering, letting go leads to peace.

I was just meditating and I got in a state of deep concentration where I was barely breathing but then I noticed it and got excited as well as felt as if I needed to breathe more and it screwed the whole thing up.(well, I can't say anything negative about it, as it was my best meditation experience thus far and i'm sure the experience of it will be beneficial) But yea, this is something I struggle with. When you're experiencing something good, don't get excited or cling. Simply observe. You can be happy, but don't get all excited to the point that you're dependent on it.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I was just meditating and I got in a state of deep concentration where I was barely breathing but then I noticed it and got excited as well as felt as if I needed to breathe more and it screwed the whole thing up

I highly recommend Ajahn Brahm's book "Happiness Through Meditation". He talks about what to do at this stage (as well as most of the common obstacles you will face in meditation). Basically he says that when the breath is no longer perceptible (because it has calmed down so much) just take up the calmness as the object of your meditation instead of the breath. Remember to make peace, be kind, be gentle and be patient.
  • edited October 2010
    You wouldn't tell anyone you're enlightened. Maybe if you cultivate humility yea I guess. But I wouldn't tell anyone because of the sheer embarrassment.

Who really wants to know that your that way with yourself. Ooooh! Perfectly normal of course but it's the most private thing of privates if you know what I mean. Your own personal thingymabob.
    edited October 2010
    milkmoth wrote: »
    You wouldn't tell anyone you're enlightened.

One could hold that such "secrecy" about enlightenment goes against the key dharmic principle of propagating Dharma?

What on earth could Enlightenment be other than an increasing understanding of the Four Noble Truths and Practice of the Eightfold Path?

namaste
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2010
    There are many different concepts of enlightenment. The question is ill-posed until you specify what you mean by the term.
  • edited October 2010
    Another definition:
    The Sanskrit word for enlightenment is "bodhi," which means "awakened." But awakened to what?

The only true answer to the question is to realize enlightenment. Short of that, we must come up with provisional answers that, the teachers tell us, do not really do justice to enlightenment.

Enlightenment can be defined as the cessation of dukkha, which is another word usually mangled in translation. It can be defined as the full realization of the truth of the Buddha's teachings. It can be defined as awakening to a great reality most of us never perceive.

Enlightenment in the Buddhist sense has nothing to do with knowledge or intellect. Nor is it living in an otherworldly state of being "blissed out" or having visions or supernatural experiences.

In his book Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, Shunryu Suzuki Roshi said that enlightenment is "nothing special. ... You may say 'universal nature' or 'Buddha nature' or 'enlightenment.' You may call it by many names, but for the person who has it, it is nothing, and it is something."

For me, the Path leads gradually to the "cessation of dukkha", and when I get there, I'll probably figure out the rest. :)
    edited October 2010
    Yeah it seems like we're all talking about different things here. The variation in answers shows how different people have different understanding of what enlightenment is and isn't. Some answers seem misguided, others make sense and some fit into what I've observed. I could've just asked "what is enlightenment?", but I know I wouldn't get any straight answers. Asking about the nature and effect of enlightenment on the other hand was helpful.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    the path is the goal, is it not??

Is it true the buddha in fact managed to enlighten people ''back in the day'' so to speak, with mere words? He could cause a person to become fully awoken with one sentence. Is this a myth that has grown over time or is it something believable?
  • edited October 2010
    I always thought enlightenment was were you entered your personal Nirvana. You can choose to go all the way... or "stick around" to help the less enlightened reach their own Nirvanas. The benefit of sticking around is virtue and lets you enter 7th Heaven. But it's up to the individual. Freedom is personal freedom after all.
    Is it true the buddha in fact managed to enlighten people ''back in the day'' so to speak, with mere words?

He probably just engaged his "thingy". Sum up, spontaneity, and delivery in one go.
  • edited October 2010
    the path is the goal, is it not??

Is it true the buddha in fact managed to enlighten people ''back in the day'' so to speak, with mere words? He could cause a person to become fully awoken with one sentence. Is this a myth that has grown over time or is it something believable?

An Extract from an online document : http://triple-gem.net/Vistas_02Nov07.pdf

"Arahattaship (which is sometimes ridiculously confused with saintship) is often understood to be easy of attainment, due to the fact that during Buddha's time he had only to utter a few words and this one or that one became a completely Emancipated One, endowed with all the supernatural faculties.

The example of Bāhiya Dāruciriya is a case in point:
    "Therefore, Bāhiya, thus must you learn: In the seen there can be only what is seen, in the heard there can be only what is heard, in the thought there can be only what is thought, in the known there can be only what is known. Since, Bāhiya, for you in the seen there can be only what is seen, in the heard what is heard, in the thought what is thought, in the known what is known therefore you, Bāhiya, are not here. Since you, Bāhiya, are not here, therefore you, Bāhiya, are neither in this world nor in the next world, nor betwixt the two. This alone is the end of pain."

At which Bāhiya immediately became an Emancipated One. To the rest of the Bhikkhus, Bāhiya's conversion and attainment seemed an extremely surprising and swift one, not knowing his remote past history in the dispensation of the previous Buddha, Kassapa, at which time even after severe struggles
    he failed to attain enlightenment, and died. Now, however, his time had come

Let it be reaffirmed here, therefore, that there is no short-cut to release. One becomes an Arahatta at all only because one's time is ripe, it being the fruit of an earnest resolve (adhitLtLhāna) in the remote past,
    together with the fulfilment of the requisite pārami
    . Only after these factors have been fulfilled does
    emancipation cease to be a mere dream and becomes a reality in which to exist."