Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the power of mindfulness

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I feel as though being mindful is unbelievably powerful. To know that you're making skillful decisions is something else. It's almost like a high, that meditative state you get in when you're mindful and making skillful choices. That is all. :D

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    attachment.....;)
  • edited October 2010
    You'll get over it.
  • edited October 2010
    My world has completely changed in the past few weeks. As I said, i'm in a sort of clear headed high like state almost all the time. It's just weird, my entire consciousness has changed. This feeling is often intensified by meditation. I feel like it has to be significant, and I often find myself wondering what it is, but perhaps looking into it too much would, as you seem to say, be attachment to the feeling.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It is difficult to know how to respond. If I could see your world before this change and then see it after then I could compare it to my world and decide if I knew what you were talking about. Then I could comment on it.;)-P
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If your mindfulness is becoming powerful then that is very good. Keep it up, whatever you are doing, you must be doing something right. Remember too that mindfulness is just one of the eight factors. Be sure to try to develop Right View, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort and Right Samadhi too.
  • edited October 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    If your mindfulness is becoming powerful then that is very good. Keep it up, whatever you are doing, you must be doing something right. Remember too that mindfulness is just one of the eight factors. Be sure to try to develop Right View, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort and Right Samadhi too.

well it all started with a sort of enlightenment I had(I realize it's not the final enlightenment, it's just the best word to use), so I guess it started with right view. Soon after I began developing the other steps to the path, and that's where i'm still at. Actually I wasn't even a buddhist before this. After my epiphanies I thought I had figured a lot of stuff for my own path out, so I began to want to research other religions just to take what truth I could find from them. I decided to look into buddhism, and wow the ideas in buddhism are the same stuff I was thinking about on my own! It's incredible, i've never before felt so confident in a "religion" before. A lot of the things buddhism teaches I had already thought of on my own, and the rest of it is making sense. I love it.

Also part of it that to me is intertwined with the path is that I have been able to be one with the universe in a way that most aren't even aware you can be. It's like, I can tell what i'm supposed to do based on what the world around me tells me. I like to think of this as the tao.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Cool.
  • edited October 2010
    I had a very similar experience about a year ago. It was very empowering like you say and I felt like it affected all aspects of my life.

Then a few things went wrong and I got upset and things got worse and I got busy dealing with life and now all that mindfulness is gone. I don't even have the energy to get up and meditate in the mornings. It's hard to keep it up.

The worst part is that the insight I feel like I gained is still there. The little progress I made with Right View, I mean, is still there. I don't think I can go back on that. But my daily practice, the mindfulness which helps with everything is, is totally GONE.

This just leads to a state a depression for me. Better when I didn't have Right View and could just get wrapped up in the mundane stuff I was doing. But now I have this nagging feeling all the time that what I'm doing isn't really important and my mind is scattered about a million other things and I'm tired all the time.

Yup.

This is when I realize why Buddhism is a religion and not just a philosophical practice. If I could wake up in the morning with the sense of devotion and urgency that one has when they have a deep feeling of religious belief, well this would motivate me to get back to work. But I don't know how to find that or cultivate that. Instead I'm just sort of mopey.

Sorry if this didn't make any sense or if I'm posting in the wrong place or stealing your thunder. Just you described very well what it was like for me a year ago.
  • edited October 2010
    I had a very similar experience about a year ago. It was very empowering like you say and I felt like it affected all aspects of my life.

Then a few things went wrong and I got upset and things got worse and I got busy dealing with life and now all that mindfulness is gone. I don't even have the energy to get up and meditate in the mornings. It's hard to keep it up.

The worst part is that the insight I feel like I gained is still there. The little progress I made with Right View, I mean, is still there. I don't think I can go back on that. But my daily practice, the mindfulness which helps with everything is, is totally GONE.

This just leads to a state a depression for me. Better when I didn't have Right View and could just get wrapped up in the mundane stuff I was doing. But now I have this nagging feeling all the time that what I'm doing isn't really important and my mind is scattered about a million other things and I'm tired all the time.

Yup.

This is when I realize why Buddhism is a religion and not just a philosophical practice. If I could wake up in the morning with the sense of devotion and urgency that one has when they have a deep feeling of religious belief, well this would motivate me to get back to work. But I don't know how to find that or cultivate that. Instead I'm just sort of mopey.

Sorry if this didn't make any sense or if I'm posting in the wrong place or stealing your thunder. Just you described very well what it was like for me a year ago.

Interesting. I hope that doesn't happen to me. I mean, I don't think it will cuz it all started with that change in outlook which led to me finding buddhism and start trying to act mindfully which has just made it better and better, so i'm seeing the benefits.
  • edited October 2010
    Buddhism has a tendency to blow my mind as I understand it more, particularly in reading about experiences like my own.
  • edited October 2010
    I think in a relatively short time im not scared to believe in something, very strange as its almost happened over night. A kind of weight off my shoulders type of feeling..
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Kumar, you may benefit from practicing Metta meditation to brighten the mind. Also make sure you are getting enough sleep, regular exercise and good nutrition.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Barber wrote: »
    I think in a relatively short time im not scared to believe in something, very strange as its almost happened over night. A kind of weight off my shoulders type of feeling..

Great. :)
  • edited October 2010
    As I said, i've been in a somewhat altered state of consciousness for about a month now. It varies in intensity. I just got off the phone with my sister and wow it is intense right now. I can't explain it it's so different from "normal" feeling. We weren't talking about anything particularly enlightening, well we were having a good convo about interesting things relevent to the path, but nothing more than usual. I think I got more into this convo than usual, like absorbed into it. So maybe that's what brings about this feeling. But wow right now I feel so different, I like it and i'm clear headed but definitely way different. It's kind of overwhelming in some ways. Like I said, i'd say in a good way but still.

I'm gonna try to meditate while in this state I think, see what happens.
  • edited October 2010
    Had a decent meditation but nothing spectacular. Probably because I wanted something spectacular to happen. I have a hard time not WANTING to get into a good state and looking at it as if i'm going towards a goal when I find i'm focusing well and my breathing is getting finer. I know I just need to let go and be, it can be difficult though.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    Had a decent meditation but nothing spectacular. Probably because I wanted something spectacular to happen. I have a hard time not WANTING to get into a good state and looking at it as if i'm going towards a goal when I find i'm focusing well and my breathing is getting finer.

It's about "The Journey", not the destination. ;)
    I know I just need to let go and be, it can be difficult though.

Right, this is a big part of practice. Ajahn Chah said "if you let go a little you will have a little peace. If you let go a lot you will have a lot of peace. If you let go completely you will know complete peace and freedom."
  • edited October 2010
    It's about "The Journey", not the destination. ;)

Right, this is a big part of practice. Ajahn Chah said "if you let go a little you will have a little peace. If you let go a lot you will have a lot of peace. If you let go completely you will know complete peace and freedom."

I like this quote. I'm a naturally very analytical overthinking type of person, so this whole way of thinking is kinda new to me. I have the natural tendancy to over think, and I think the biggest hurdle for me is "letting go."
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I have the natural tendancy to over think, and I think the biggest hurdle for me is "letting go."

Me too, but at least we know what we have been doing wrong.

As Ajahn Brahm says, the reason why people think too much is because they over-value their thoughts. Such people believe that they can think their way to solving problems. While it might be true in the short-term, they may solve their short-term problems, people who over-think will go looking for new problems to solve...there is no end to it, no peace to be found in it.

So now that we know what we have been doing wrong, with practice we can stop fuelling our habitual thinking. Instead of valuing habitual thinking we should value peace.
  • edited October 2010
    As Ajahn Brahm says, the reason why people think too much is because they over-value their thoughts. Such people believe that they can think their way to solving problems. While it might be true in the short-term, they may solve their short-term problems, people who over-think will go looking for new problems to solve...there is no end to it, no peace to be found in it.

I really like this paragraph. That's exactly how it is. I figure something out and I feel like it's this huge breakthrough and I think that I may have finally figured it all out but then soon enough I create a new problem to solve. It's maddening. At this point I know intellectually that I can't solve the great mystery with my mind, but to be honest I still feel like at some level I can.
  • edited October 2010
    Journey, I don't want to discourage you at all. In fact, I'm excited to hear how you feel. It is motivating for me because sometimes I feel that way too!

But I want to say one thing that is in my mind when I read what you say. When I first start learning about something (anything, including Buddhism) it is first very exciting. Then it starts to blow my mind. Then, I get to the top of the mountain, so to speak, and get a clear view of what is on the other side. What I mean is, when you really start to get a grip on any subject, there is this peak when you realize how much you don't know and how much more you have to learn. It's like you work your butt off just to find out how stupid you are! :D This feeling is both inspirational and de-motivating.

So my study of Buddhism blew my mind and then I was left feeling totally changed and incompetent.

On the other hand, this might be entirely MY experience and have nothing to do with how you are feeling. You might be able to keep up the experience and practice! For me, it was a case of going to fast and burning out. I mean, how long can those mind-blowing feelings persist? Maybe forever and I just went about it wrong. But this time, I'm going more slowly.

Gosh I hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to discourage you. I'm not. I think my motivation is in trying to understand my own experience.
  • edited October 2010
    I definitely am getting very excited about this whole thing, but i'm trying not to think of it in terms of how good I am or whatever. That's one of the things I love about buddhism is all of the varying opinion. So i'm learning every day how to better follow my path while hopefully not having expectations, so I can't have that fall you speak of.
  • still_learningstill_learning Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Congrats TheJourney. Sounds like you reached a very good milestone in your life. I encourage you to keep up your mindfulness.

I can be mindful at times, but I am definitely not consistent. I've also experienced the good things that come from being mindful. For me it's not anything spectacular, but it's something I can really appreciate, and I am very glad that I've learned about it.
  • JetsFan366JetsFan366 Explorer
    edited October 2010
    I have a hard time not WANTING to get into a good state and looking at it as if i'm going towards a goal when I find i'm focusing well and my breathing is getting finer. I know I just need to let go and be, it can be difficult though.

Very true. I don't know if there's any good writing about it, but I think I experienced something similar to you. I call it my honeymoon phase.

I've had anxiety and depression issues all my life. When I started practicing mindfulness & meditation, I got amazing results. Of course I thought all my problems were over. Of course they were not.

I've learned that my problems, my suffering, will never go away. I may experience a reprieve now and then, but that's not the goal. The goal is to relate to the feelings differently. Attachment to the good feelings meditation can bring, is still attachment any way you slice it.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It seems like many people get "good" results from their meditation practice early on, in their first year or so. Then it gradually fades away and the practice really begins. It's almost as if you are getting a taste to keep you hooked, maybe the so-called "good" meditation you experience initially is the ripening of kamma from the past. Then when that has run out we ask "why?" and hopefully we learn what the causes of the "good" meditation are so we can do our best to put those causes into place.

Ajahn Brahm says there's no such thing as a "bad" meditation because the so-called "bad" meditations are where we are building up the causes for the so-called "good" meditations. He uses the simile of a person who must work in order to get paid. No work; no payday.
  • edited October 2010
    twaitsfan wrote: »
    I've had anxiety and depression issues all my life. When I started practicing mindfulness & meditation, I got amazing results. Of course I thought all my problems were over. Of course they were not.

I've learned that my problems, my suffering, will never go away.
    If that's the case, that I cannot even hope to be free of suffering, I've misunderstood Buddhism.
    I may experience a reprieve now and then, but that's not the goal. The goal is to relate to the feelings differently. Attachment to the good feelings meditation can bring, is still attachment any way you slice it.
    Now I'm really confused. Isn't freedom from attachments one of the components of being free of suffering?

How are you defining "good feelings?"
    edited October 2010
    Hi Nature Lover,

My bad for not being precise in my response. When talking about my anxiety, I really think it will always be with me. Perhaps in time, it won't cause me as much suffering as it has in the past, but I do know that meditating and living mindfully does not get rid of it completely, for me at least.

By 'good feelings' I mean pleasant sensations versus unpleasant, whether they be mental or physical. You'll never be free of those, no matter what happens. The way I understand it, you could be enlightened and if someone punches you in the face, it will still cause you many unpleasant sensations. But it's how you relate to them that is the key.

I am sure tho that grasping for the pleasant sensations that meditation sometimes brings is going to lead to disappointment down the road when you don't have those feelings after a session. Or even yearning for those feelings when you're not meditating. That might not be the worst suffering or attachment, but it's still suffering and attachment.

On a related note, I used to practice yoga for the nice way it made my body feel. Sometimes I wouldn't have a 'good' practice and walk away a little disenchanted. Now I just try to be mindful of how each pose makes me feel. That also helps me not to get competitive.

Of course, 'try' is the key word in all of this...
  • edited October 2010
    I've done yoga too so I know what you mean about feeling 'good' afterward. And I know that we ought not to practice mindfulness for its own sake. Having said that, mindfulness along with right though and right action is making it possible for me to be free of a 'noisy' mind, a mind that uselessly thinks about the past and future without any connection to the present. Somebody PLEASE tell me this isn't going to go away.
  • edited October 2010
    It sounds to me like a touch of psychosis.Maybe a trip along to the doctor for a check up?
  • edited October 2010
    bart1964 wrote: »
    It sounds to me like a touch of psychosis.Maybe a trip along to the doctor for a check up?
    Actually its complex PTSD, and I have a longtime shrink.
    edited October 2010
    I've done yoga too so I know what you mean about feeling 'good' afterward. And I know that we ought not to practice mindfulness for its own sake. Having said that, mindfulness along with right though and right action is making it possible for me to be free of a 'noisy' mind, a mind that uselessly thinks about the past and future without any connection to the present. Somebody PLEASE tell me this isn't going to go away.

I think that's a pretty good outlook, since it's very similar to mine ;) I 'got into' Buddhism from a mindfulness-as-psychology standpoint, so in that sense, I understand. And I'm also hoping that through right action I can get some relief to my suffering. Or at least not generate more by living in the future/past.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Mindfulness isn't a high necessarily. The high is what you are mindful of. But it could be a low sometimes too. And then you would be mindful of a low.

You could be having the shittiest time of your life and that wouldn't be mindfulness, but it would be what you were mindful of.

Mindfulness isn't about pleasure and pain. It is about 'awake'.
  • edited October 2010
    Don't become attached and dwell on experiences and feelings. Just let them go and keep practising. :)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    My teacher says it is a process of developing equanimity which she provided the metaphor of learning to trust the ocean rather than being taken by any individual wave in particular. Instead you let go and are ready for the next wave.
  • edited October 2010
    Perhaps the high is really our normal state of being and we just lose touch with it throughout our lives.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think there is something to that. When reality is 'flowing' correctly and it is undistorted by grasping and attachment it feels ok. But pain and pleasure continue even in that case as far as I know.

Pema Chodron stated in a meditation tape I have that the purpose of mindfulness meditation is not to feel good. She went on to say that we would be happy to know that it is also not the purpose to feel bad.

You can kind of think of this as karma ripening. Some good karma is ripening for you. But you need to practice with it skillfully or else you could turn good into bad. Likewise when bad karma ripens you try to turn bad into good. By not letting it derail you.

Equanimity is what you need. A sense of 'no big deal'. That is what pema chodron says is our everyday experience of emptiness. 'no big deal'.
  • edited October 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Equanimity is what you need. A sense of 'no big deal'. That is what pema chodron says is our everyday experience of emptiness. 'no big deal'.
    I like that, "no big deal." That what I thought about the chronic pain I have just yesterday. Something like, "O.K. It's there. It's pain. Now that I noticed it I can get on with what I was doing." But that's easier for me to do with physical than with psychological pain.
  • edited October 2010
    My teacher says it is a process of developing equanimity which she provided the metaphor of learning to trust the ocean rather than being taken by any individual wave in particular. Instead you let go and are ready for the next wave.
    If you anticipate a life of repeatedly being hit by waves, why are you a Buddhist? Didn't Buddha leave home to find the answer to why there is suffering and how to eliminate it? If Buddhism doesn't have the answers to both those questions, it shares that problem with many other religions.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    As a fisherman I always relate to metaphors that include the ocean. Here's the way I see it. When at sea a properly designed boat will ride the waves with a motion that inspires confidence. In good weather the boat and the sea move in harmony. You can cruise along dreamily without paying too much attention to your surroundings other than to enjoy the sun and the wildlife and the serenity. During very rough weather you must slow down and pay attention even though you want to be out of there more than anything else. All your concentration is on the wave that you are dealing with, the one behind has gone by. The next one hasn't arrived yet. You must also keep an eye ahead in order to assess whats in store for you, but if you are obsessed with worrying about what might happen the stress saps your strength and confidence. The way that i have found to relieve the anxiety is to focus on what is happening in the present moment. You will always get hit by some waves and it can be devastating, but experience tells you that you can handle what comes and if not, then there will be more knowledge as a result. Nature will decide if you live to tell about it.-P
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    nature lover, waves are meant as mental arisings. Even a buddha still has mental arisings. Cessation of suffering is not cessation of sensitivity.
  • edited October 2010
    nature lover, waves are meant as mental arisings. Even a buddha still has mental arisings. Cessation of suffering is not cessation of sensitivity.
    I'm not trying to be difficult but I don't understand the difference between suffering and sensitivity. I really want to learn about other teachings because mindfulness is changing my life.
    edited October 2010
    I'm not trying to be difficult but I don't understand the difference between suffering and sensitivity. I really want to learn about other teachings because mindfulness is changing my life.

Pretend you had to walk a mile with a pebble in your shoe; you can take two approaches (lets pretend you can't take off your shoe). The default one is to fixate on the pebble and trying to keep it in a loose part of your shoe so you don't step on it. Inevitably, you will step on it, and it will feel agonizing (which it's not) and frustrating (which it is) and you'll redouble your efforts to avoid it again. If, however, you just accept that the pebble is there, and each time your foot lands on it observe the feeling, and try to feel all the subtleties of it, it doesn't end up hurting that much really. And after a while it just becomes part of the experience. It's actually fairly easy to practice this when it's cold out. If you 'attend' to the feelings of cold, and don't freak out about them, you can handle them a lot more effectively.

The person who uses the first approach and agonizes about the pebble suffers a lot more than the one that accepts the feeling of discomfort (being sensitive to it/opening to the feeling). It's like the chronic pain approach you wrote about earlier - you suffer a lot less when you don't agonize about the pain itself, right?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Sensitivity is part of the nature of awareness. craving and aversion is when we try to get only pleasure and not pain. In other words we struggle. Because we are ignorant of true nature of reality.

When we see that the struggle and not the pain is the problem that changes things around. We stop thinking that we are not good and need to get better. We see that we are already good even with our pains.
  • edited October 2010
    Sensitivity is part of the nature of awareness. craving and aversion is when we try to get only pleasure and not pain. In other words we struggle. Because we are ignorant of true nature of reality.

When we see that the struggle and not the pain is the problem that changes things around. We stop thinking that we are not good and need to get better. We see that we are already good even with our pains.

I like this post. Idk why but I thought it gave a good, albeit not that long, explanation. Don't think of things in terms of good and bad, but rather just what is.
  • edited October 2010

Wow! That would somewhat similar to what my shrink tells me: that what we would call arisings of pain in situations that resemble past pain are to be endured, that I won't ever be insusceptible to having that happen.
    edited October 2010
    Sorry, there will always be a pebble in your shoe. Some days it will be small, somedays, you can barely fit your foot in.

It's a daunting reality, but also a liberating one. 'Now' is much less painful than yesterday or tomorrow. And the good news is, yesterday and tomorrow never come. It's always Now.
  • edited October 2010
    twaitsfan wrote: »
    Sorry, there will always be a pebble in your shoe. Some days it will be small, somedays, you can barely fit your foot in.

It's a daunting reality, but also a liberating one. 'Now' is much less painful than yesterday or tomorrow. And the good news is, yesterday and tomorrow never come. It's always Now.

what of the 3rd noble truth, then? and the 4th. what is the point of the noble eightfold path if you're guaranteed to always suffer.
    edited October 2010
    Pain is not equal to suffering. That's the point. If you punched Buddha in the face, it would still be painful, but he didn't have an aversion to pain so it would be just another sensation like tasting a pie, having sex, or stubbing a toe.
  • edited October 2010
    Ah. True then.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    As far as I know buddha still had prior past negative karma ripening. Which is what happened at his death when he was poisoned. But he didn't struggle against the bad karma. He was awake and aware and he worked with whatever situation came up. I think he even made his death a teaching.
  • edited October 2010
    As far as I know buddha still had prior past negative karma ripening. Which is what happened at his death when he was poisoned. But he didn't struggle against the bad karma. He was awake and aware and he worked with whatever situation came up. I think he even made his death a teaching.

Now if only I knew what happened after he died...:confused: