Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

my theory

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I know everyone on here always says not to think of these sort of things or to become attached to them, and I understand all that and i'll try to explain why all of this is relevent to the path or at least having a mental state that is conducive to the path.

I think that the entire universe is one...you could say consciousness. Everything within it functions cohesively. There's brilliance beyond anything imaginable in all of the inner workings. Every action and reaction is done for a reason. To me, this is relevent to the path. This is because sometimes something throws me for a loop or something bad happens and it has the potential to throw me off of my practice. I can't let it, as there was a reason for it and, despite what happens, the way that I can best function within the universe is to practice according to the dharma.

This leads me to the question what is enlightenment, and what is the path to enlightenment like. I'm not saying that I know this exactly, but i'm saying that I think I have a better idea of it thanks to what's been going on in my life. If you're enlightened you're fully aware of all the inner workings of the universe. This is because it all makes sense, and it already does, we just need to realize it AKA get enlightened. This is part of how we can use our intellect in the path. Try to learn(call it dharma if you wish) from every situation in life. See the inner workings of the universe.

I believe all of this is relevent to the path IN MY CASE. Take what you will from it. And what do I know anyway ;) Acknowledge you don't know if you don't, which I don't claim to be all knowing by any means.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I could follow that and it sounds pretty good to me. The first part sounds about like karma and how we should work with situations. The second part the thought occured to me about conceptual thought and non-conceptual thought. Where non is like direct seeing. I think? Anyhow so much of our thinking is speculation and judgements and so forth. I think that type of thinking actually clouds our vision and the type of thinking that we need is mindfulness.

Of course certain conceptual teachings can lift us up out of the mud of a wrong view.
  • edited October 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I could follow that and it sounds pretty good to me. The first part sounds about like karma and how we should work with situations. The second part the thought occured to me about conceptual thought and non-conceptual thought. Where non is like direct seeing. I think? Anyhow so much of our thinking is speculation and judgements and so forth. I think that type of thinking actually clouds our vision and the type of thinking that we need is mindfulness.

Of course certain conceptual teachings can lift us up out of the mud of a wrong view.

Yea. I think one's person idle speculation is a part of another person's path to right view. If i'm stuck in wrong view, some conceptual thinking may get me out of that. If you're already in right view, perhaps it's unnecessary.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    TheJourney, since I've joined about all of your posts have been about this theory. That doesn't look like progress. That's why I think it's a distraction... you're focusing on it so much. Are you looking for a teacher, meditating and reading sutras as well or do you spend all your energy on this theory?
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I use to be obsessed with the universe, physics and the entire general notion behind 'what is out there'. This all fascinated me way before I was aware of buddhism, going back to my pre teen years in fact. It also was with me after finding buddhism as I began to integrate it into my life, until recently anyway. I still am very intrigued by the universe and all things quantum, but I personally think with regards to MY buddhist path it is all but irrelevant.

To me, being awoken is something obtainable, for sure. But to strive for such a thing and to think that you need to get to such a place begins to cloud your path directly there. I am speaking personally here, but I have found wisdom and peace comes from much simpler things such as being kind, being skillful and finding solitude in the most chaotic of moments. You can sit there and try to work out how our universe began, was it with a bang? was it our universe colliding with another causing the membranes to ripple and create what is now? You can work this through your mind hundreds of times, but you will not be able to prove it neither will it help if the path to liberation. If you are referring to co-arising, cause and effect and so forth, then that is a different matter maybe.

Maybe you would be interested in quantum jumping?? It is the big new craze :p lol, check out the thread in general banter, I found this hilarious link which shows the newest scam to hit the net!

Tom
  • edited October 2010
    TheJourney, since I've joined, but about all of your posts have been about this theory. That doesn't look like progress. That's why I think it's a distraction... you're focusing on it so much. Are you looking for a teacher, meditating and reading sutras as well or do you spend all your energy on this theory?

There's not even a buddhist center/temple near me so having a teacher isn't an option, but I meditate and read on a daily basis. I don't really feel like this is all i've been posting about, maybe i've posted about similar ideas but that's what i'm doing is refining what i've already established as opposed to new stuff on a daily basis.

And for thailandtom, it's for me a combination of all of the factors. I try to meditate, study, contemplate matters such as what i've presented in this thread, and act skillfully. To me that's a good practice.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I definitely fully believe with what you're saying about the entire universe being one. That's very relevant to the path, too. Everything we know has been created from something. I like to think that it's Buddha Nature, our essence. I think it's important to try to stop viewing ourselves as separate entities and view the whole. We're like one giant human body, with everything working together and sometimes things being thrown in that put us on the wrong track.

As far as the second part, I have pondered and pondered meanings, physics, questions, possibilities about what we know (the Universe) for hours on end. For now, though, I've found it's best on my path to just accept that I do not know right now. If I continue on the path, then perhaps I will gain the Enlightenment you're speaking of in this lifetime, however I may not. So I don't attach myself to that goal. I live in this moment and know that if it's meant for me to understand what's beyond my perceptions, it will be revealed to me as long as I continue on the path.
  • edited October 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    I definitely fully believe with what you're saying about the entire universe being one. That's very relevant to the path, too. Everything we know has been created from something. I like to think that it's Buddha Nature, our essence. I think it's important to try to stop viewing ourselves as separate entities and view the whole. We're like one giant human body, with everything working together and sometimes things being thrown in that put us on the wrong track.

As far as the second part, I have pondered and pondered meanings, physics, questions, possibilities about what we know (the Universe) for hours on end. For now, though, I've found it's best on my path to just accept that I do not know right now. If I continue on the path, then perhaps I will gain the Enlightenment you're speaking of in this lifetime, however I may not. So I don't attach myself to that goal. I live in this moment and know that if it's meant for me to understand what's beyond my perceptions, it will be revealed to me as long as I continue on the path.

Yea, people often say viewing the universe as one is irrelevent or unnecessary, but I think it's very important cuz if you and me are one then all the more motivation for me to act kindly to you. Also it removes the fear from life, since why would you fear yourself? I like to think of it as a consciousness, as it includes all things including non-physical, but whatever works for you.

I have pondered, sometimes obsessively, my whole life, especially recently. I feel as though I should think sometimes, when the time's right, and rather than try to force breakthroughs accept them as they come, and then don't always go on trying to figure out the next implication(especially if I seemingly can't) and rather just be happy with the knowledge I have.
    edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    Yea, people often say viewing the universe as one is irrelevent or unnecessary, but I think it's very important cuz if you and me are one then all the more motivation for me to act kindly to you. Also it removes the fear from life, since why would you fear yourself? I like to think of it as a consciousness, as it includes all things including non-physical, but whatever works for you.

I have pondered, sometimes obsessively, my whole life, especially recently. I feel as though I should think sometimes, when the time's right, and rather than try to force breakthroughs accept them as they come, and then don't always go on trying to figure out the next implication(especially if I seemingly can't) and rather just be happy with the knowledge I have.

I have read several times that practicing Buddhism with the goal of attaining Enlightenment rarely actually leads us there. I see it as more attachment to Self. But I DEFINITELY know how you feel - sometimes it takes days to turn off my speculative mind and just be in the moment.
  • edited October 2010
    I have read several times that practicing Buddhism with the goal of attaining Enlightenment rarely actually leads us there. I see it as more attachment to Self. But I DEFINITELY know how you feel - sometimes it takes days to turn off my speculative mind and just be in the moment.

I agree although I wonder sometimes cuz didn't the buddha say that he was going to sit until he attained enlightenment? And this pretty famous kid over in india known as buddha boy also set out to attain enlightenment. I don't think there's a problem with wanting to become enlightened, so long as it's not for selfish reasons. It's like, I want to be enlightened, but not only for me. I want to help all.
    edited October 2010
    I agree although I wonder sometimes cuz didn't the buddha say that he was going to sit until he attained enlightenment? And this pretty famous kid over in india known as buddha boy also set out to attain enlightenment. I don't think there's a problem with wanting to become enlightened, so long as it's not for selfish reasons. It's like, I want to be enlightened, but not only for me. I want to help all.

As long as it's "It'd be pretty cool if I could attain Enlightenment," and not, "I NEED to attain Enlightenment to feel complete."
    It's super easy to justify our attachments to where they don't look like attachments in our own perception.
  • edited October 2010
    As long as it's "It'd be pretty cool if I could attain Enlightenment," and not, "I NEED to attain Enlightenment to feel complete."
    It's super easy to justify our attachments to where they don't look like attachments in our own perception.

True. I'm very happy with where I am now, and even more happy that i'm moving in the right direction. Of course the end goal is just that, but i'm certainly not gonna enjoy the ride any less because i'm caught up desiring the end goal.
    edited October 2010
    True. I'm very happy with where I am now, and even more happy that i'm moving in the right direction. Of course the end goal is just that, but i'm certainly not gonna enjoy the ride any less because i'm caught up desiring the end goal.

Cool :cool:
  • edited October 2010
    @ The Journey,
    Ah, you've chosen your User-name so wisely!
    Agree with 95% of what you say. (I personally think that the Universe makes no sense at all apart from the vague scrapings attempted by some philosophies and some branches of science.) :-/
    Still a beautiful place to maintain a (perhaps) illusionary existence in though. :)
    Wish you well upon your path!
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    As far as theories go Journey, there are much better out there... look up "AQAL". That is a theory of theories, and the great chain of being at the same time. If your going to have a theory of the cosmos I recommend that one.

But if you are interested in Buddhism, even AQAL, is just noise.

Buddhist theory is practical in nature, for a reason. Your OP gives the impression that the answers posted in response to you queries have gone passed you.
  • edited October 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    As far as theories go Journey, there are much better out there... look up "AQAL". That is a theory of theories, and the great chain of being at the same time. If your going to have a theory of the cosmos I recommend that one.

But if you are interested in Buddhism, even AQAL, is just noise.

Buddhist theory is practical in nature, for a reason. Your OP gives the impression that the answers posted in response to you queries have gone passed you.

I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking about this type of stuff. It's not the whole of my practice. I'm still living out the practical aspects of buddhism, and i'm not getting attached to my theories. I don't think being a buddhist means shutting off your brain. Plus i'm not trying to explain everything and just coming up with a bunch of random theories. This is basically focusing on 1 aspect, and I tried to explain in OP why it's relevent to me. If you see it as pointless then, as I said in OP, don't listen to it it's not for you. It helps me to ease my mind and live out the practical aspects of buddhism.
    edited October 2010
    I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking about this type of stuff. It's not the whole of my practice. I'm still living out the practical aspects of buddhism, and i'm not getting attached to my theories. I don't think being a buddhist means shutting off your brain. Plus i'm not trying to explain everything and just coming up with a bunch of random theories. This is basically focusing on 1 aspect, and I tried to explain in OP why it's relevent to me. If you see it as pointless then, as I said in OP, don't listen to it it's not for you. It helps me to ease my mind and live out the practical aspects of buddhism.
    What exactly is this "practice"? What guidance have you had beside books and your musings ? Who said anything about shutting off your brain? have you been reading the responses here?

look. you do your thing, there is no right and wrong. It is just that Buddhism is not a new age free for all. I'm just saying that, and also saying that this poster won't bother taking serious your questions anymore, because you are just riffing.
  • edited October 2010
    What exactly is this "practice"? What guidance have you had beside books and your musings ? Who said anything about shutting off your brain? have you been reading the responses here?

look. you do your thing, there is no right and wrong. It is just that Buddhism is not a new age free for all. I'm just saying that, and also saying that this poster won't bother taking serious your questions anymore, because you are just riffing.

By all means. Obviously you haven't developed the skills necessary for a kind exchange. If you think being rude and judgemental makes you more enlightened or a better buddhist you're free to have that opinion, but I certainly disagree. What is this practice? Can't life be a practice? I've explained my practice a few posts above. If you think my practice in quotations isn't "real" or "good" then by all means, think what you want. Know that by judging me you're showing that you're not following the path very well, as someone who understands the path understands that there's no sense in trying to talk down at someone who has a different perspective, letalone putting "practice" in quotes as if it's not a real practice AKA being judgemental. Like I said, by all means ignore me. I've been developing quite the peace of mind and posts like your last two throw me off.
    edited October 2010
    I've been developing quite the peace of mind and posts like your last two throw me off.
    Here is something to reflect on, not your take on my posts per se, but just this statement you made. It shows a misunderstanding, and you are stubborn in that misunderstanding. You have people here with a lot of experience, never mind me, people you should listen to, and you are not listening. It is a good resource, take advantage. Any way, good luck. You seem like a good person. Metta
  • edited October 2010
    Here is something to reflect on, not your take on my posts per se, but just this statement you made. It shows a misunderstanding, and you are stubborn in that misunderstanding. You have people here with a lot of experience, never mind me, people you should listen to, and you are not listening. It is a good resource, take advantage. Any way, good luck. You seem like a good person. Metta

Ok thanks. :D
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If you're enlightened you're fully aware of all the inner workings of the universe.

I think it would be more accurate to say "If you're enlightened you're fully aware of all the inner workings of the mind."
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If the universe is one why do people still fight and kill each other? Why can I not be hired anywhere I want by just talking to the dudes and telling them we are part of the same Universe that is one? Or why can't I score any chick by telling them that we are part of the same Universe that is one? Because the Universe isn't one lol. We're all individual beings with different mind sets, living on this planet that is a mortal planet.

Earth can even be struck by an asteroid or a bunch of asteroids any time. Or maybe a more advanced civilization will come visit us and wipe us out before that happens.
  • edited October 2010
    If the universe is one why do people still fight and kill each other? Why can I not be hired anywhere I want by just talking to the dudes and telling them we are part of the same Universe that is one? Or why can't I score any chick by telling them that we are part of the same Universe that is one? Because the Universe isn't one lol. We're all individual beings with different mind sets, living on this planet that is a mortal planet.

Earth can even be struck by an asteroid or a bunch of asteroids any time. Or maybe a more advanced civilization will come visit us and wipe us out before that happens.

I agree that we're all individual beings with different mindsets. That's the beauty of it. We can all be individuals and yet be such a cohesive "unit" if you want to call it that.
  • edited October 2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharmakaya

If buddha transcends time and space, isn't it possible that the cohesiveness of the universe is simply that ultimate reality, and somehow buddha(though we all have buddha nature)guides us to enlightenment.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    The Journey I have noticed in this thread that different people have different styles. I think you have a style where you do have theories about the world, but thats not how everyone operates or what makes them happy.

Gurdjeff (heard of him? and miss spelled) was interested in something called the eneagram. Where I think 9 different types of people are shown sort of in a geometric arrangement and some information about what each type is drawn to and what they struggle with.

Its not a traditional buddhist teaching but I wondered if you would at least be interested. You seem to be a five. I think I might be too or else a two.

Ones

Characteristic role: The Reformer<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagram_12-0" class="reference">[13]</sup>
    Ego Fixation: Resentment<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-0" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Holy Idea: Perfection<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-1" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Basic Fear: Being corrupt/evil, defective<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute1_14-0" class="reference">[15]</sup>
    Basic Desire: To be good, to have integrity, to be balanced<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute1_14-1" class="reference">[15]</sup>
    Temptation: To be hypocritical or hypercritical of others
    Vice/Passion: Anger<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramPassions38_15-0" class="reference">[16]</sup>
    Virtue: Serenity<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramVirtues38_16-0" class="reference">[17]</sup>
    Stress/Disintegration point: Four. Angry and critical Ones may become moody and irrational like unhealthy Fours<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute1_14-2" class="reference">[15]</sup>
    Security/Integration point: Seven. Objective and principled Ones may become more spontaneous and joyful like healthy Sevens<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute1_14-3" class="reference">[15]</sup>
    URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Enneagram_of_Personality&action=edit&section=8"]edit[/URL Twos

Characteristic role: The Helper<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagram_12-1" class="reference">[13]</sup>
    Ego Fixation: Flattery<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-2" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Holy Idea: Freedom<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-3" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Basic Fear: Being unworthy of being loved<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute2_17-0" class="reference">[18]</sup>
    Basic Desire: To be loved unconditionally<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute2_17-1" class="reference">[18]</sup>
    Temptation: To manipulate others in order to get positive responses<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute2_17-2" class="reference">[18]</sup>
    Vice/Passion: Pride (specifically, Vainglory, the love of one's own goodness)<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramPassions38_15-1" class="reference">[16]</sup>
    Virtue: Altruism<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramVirtues38_16-1" class="reference">[17]</sup>
    Stress/Disintegration point: Eights. When Twos give without receiving back they become manipulative and angry like unhealthy Eights<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute2_17-3" class="reference">[18]</sup>
    Security/Integration point: Four. Helpful Twos may become emotionally strong, caring, and authentic like healthy Fours<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute2_17-4" class="reference">[18]</sup>
    URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Enneagram_of_Personality&action=edit&section=9"]edit[/URL Threes

Characteristic role: The Achiever<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagram_12-2" class="reference">[13]</sup>
    Ego fixation: Vanity<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-4" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Holy idea: Hope<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-5" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Basic Fear: Being worthless<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute3_18-0" class="reference">[19]</sup>
    Basic Desire: To be valuable<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute3_18-1" class="reference">[19]</sup>
    Temptation: To please everybody
    Vice/Passion: Deceit<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramPassions38_15-2" class="reference">[16]</sup>
    Virtue: Truthfulness<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramVirtues38_16-2" class="reference">[17]</sup>
    Stress/Disintegration point: Nine. Burnt-out Threes may begin to disengage from their relentless drive to success and behave like unhealthy Nines<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute3_18-2" class="reference">[19]</sup>
    Security/Integration point: Six. If Threes recognize that being on top of everything is not everything, they may become comfortable in being committed to others, like healthy Sixes. Commitment to relationships may enable them to explore their emotions<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute3_18-3" class="reference">[19]</sup>
    URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Enneagram_of_Personality&action=edit&section=10"]edit[/URL Fours

Characteristic role: The Individualist<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagram_12-3" class="reference">[13]</sup>
    Ego fixation: Melancholy<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-6" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Holy idea: Origin<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-7" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Basic Fear: Being commonplace<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute4_19-0" class="reference">[20]</sup>
    Basic Desire: To be unique and authentic<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute4_19-1" class="reference">[20]</sup>
    Temptation: To beat themselves up and withdraw
    Vice/Passion: Envy<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramPassions38_15-3" class="reference">[16]</sup>
    Virtue: Equanimity<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramVirtues38_16-3" class="reference">[17]</sup>
    Stress/Disintegration point: Two. Disintegrating Fours may become dissatisfied like unhealthy Twos
    Security/Integration point: One. Self-actualized Fours may become idealistic and progressive like healthy Ones
    URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Enneagram_of_Personality&action=edit&section=11"]edit[/URL Fives

Characteristic role: The Investigator <sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagram_12-4" class="reference">[13]</sup>
    Ego Fixation: Stinginess <sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-8" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Holy Idea: Omniscience <sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-9" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable <sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute5_20-0" class="reference">[21]</sup>
    Basic Desire: To be capable and competent <sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute5_20-1" class="reference">[21]</sup>
    Temptation: To keep the world at bay
    Vice/Passion: Avarice <sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramPassions38_15-4" class="reference">[16]</sup>
    Virtue: Detachment <sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramVirtues38_16-4" class="reference">[17]</sup>
    Stress/Disintegration point: Seven. Detached Fives may become hyperactive and scattered like unhealthy Sevens <sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute5_20-2" class="reference">[21]</sup>
    Security/Integration point: Eight. Integrated Fives may become self-confident and decisive like healthy Eights <sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute5_20-3" class="reference">[21]</sup>
    URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Enneagram_of_Personality&action=edit&section=12"]edit[/URL Sixes

Characteristic role: The Loyalist<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagram_12-5" class="reference">[13]</sup>
    Ego fixation: Cowardice<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-10" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Holy idea: Faith<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-11" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Basic Fear: To be without a support system in an unforgiving world<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute6_21-0" class="reference">[22]</sup>
    Basic Desire: To feel safe<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute6_21-1" class="reference">[22]</sup>
    Temptation: To question the intentions of everyone around them
    Vice/Passion: Fear<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramPassions38_15-5" class="reference">[16]</sup>
    Virtue: Courage<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramVirtues38_16-5" class="reference">[17]</sup>
    Stress/Disintegration point: Three. Paranoid and anxious Sixes may try to win over others, like unhealthy Threes, to cover up their anxiety
    Security/Integration point: Nine. Positive Sixes may become more peaceful, open and receptive like healthy Nines
    URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Enneagram_of_Personality&action=edit&section=13"]edit[/URL Sevens

Characteristic role: The Enthusiast<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagram_12-6" class="reference">[13]</sup>
    Ego fixation: Planning<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-12" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Holy idea: Work<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-13" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Basic Fear: Boredom<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute7_22-0" class="reference">[23]</sup>
    Basic Desire: To experience as much of the world as possible<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute7_22-1" class="reference">[23]</sup>
    Temptation: Moving too fast
    Vice/Passion: Gluttony<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramPassions38_15-6" class="reference">[16]</sup>
    Virtue: Sobriety<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramVirtues38_16-6" class="reference">[17]</sup>
    Stress/Disintegration point: One. When forced to stand still, Sevens may become irritable and impatient like unhealthy Ones
    Security/Integration point: Five. Confident and experienced Sevens may bring a sense of calm to hectic situations like healthy Fives
    URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Enneagram_of_Personality&action=edit&section=14"]edit[/URL Eights

Characteristic role: The Challenger<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagram_12-7" class="reference">[13]</sup>
    Ego fixation: Vengeance<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-14" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Holy idea: Truth<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-15" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Basic Fear: Of being harmed or controlled by others, of violation<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute8_23-0" class="reference">[24]</sup>
    Basic Desire: To protect themselves, to determine their own course in life<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute8_23-1" class="reference">[24]</sup>
    Temptation: To be too self-sufficient
    Vice/Passion: Lust<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramPassions38_15-7" class="reference">[16]</sup>
    Virtue: Magnanimity<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramVirtues38_16-7" class="reference">[17]</sup>
    Stress/Disintegration point: Five. Eights may become withdrawn and isolated like unhealthy Fives in their pursuit of control
    Security/Integration point: Two. Proactive and forward-thinking Eights learn to become helpful and cooperative like healthy Twos
    URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Enneagram_of_Personality&action=edit&section=15"]edit[/URL Nines

Characteristic role: The Peacemaker<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagram_12-8" class="reference">[13]</sup>
    Ego fixation: Indolence, self-forgetting<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-16" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Holy idea: Love<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramHolyIdeas39_13-17" class="reference">[14]</sup>
    Basic Fear: Loss and separation; of annihilation<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute9_24-0" class="reference">[25]</sup>
    Basic Desire: To maintain inner stability and peace of mind<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute9_24-1" class="reference">[25]</sup>
    Temptation: To go along to get along<sup id="cite_ref-EnneagramInstitute9_24-2" class="reference">[25]</sup>
    Vice/Passion: Indifference<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramPassions38_15-8" class="reference">[16]</sup>
    Virtue: Right action<sup id="cite_ref-UnderstandingTheEnneagramVirtues38_16-8" class="reference">[17]</sup>
    Stress/Disintegration point: Six. Nines may become anxious, suspicious, and negative like unhealthy Sixes and may express more aggression
    Security/Integration point: Three. Nines may begin to work at developing themselves and their potential and move into greater action in the world, like healthier Threes
  • edited October 2010
    Interesting. 5 and 2 ring true to me, as well.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think I can be all 9 of those in a single day.
    edited October 2010
    :lol: I was thinkin I'm all nine with every thought!!