Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Existential question

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I read somewhere that asking existential questions is likened to a man that has been shot wanting to know who shot him before getting medical help (or something to that effect).

Nonetheless, since you guys and gals are more up on the literature, I'll ask anyway: is there any explanation as to why all of "this"? And by "this" I mean who is responsible for this world and why are we in it? Who set in motion the karmic wheel, and more importantly, to what end? A Divine intelligence? A god? Many gods? Evolutionary process?

The texts explain in great detail the process Gotama went through to reach enlightenment, but fail to go beyond looking at the suffering of this (and past and future) lives to ask where it all started.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    billmac wrote: »
    Nonetheless, since you guys and gals are more up on the literature, I'll ask anyway: is there any explanation as to why all of "this"? And by "this" I mean who is responsible for this world and why are we in it?

nope.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I read somewhere that asking existential questions is likened to a man that has been shot wanting to know who shot him before getting medical help (or something to that effect).

Nonetheless, since you guys and gals are more up on the literature, I'll ask anyway: is there any explanation as to why all of "this"? And by "this" I mean who is responsible for this world and why are we in it? Who set in motion the karmic wheel, and more importantly, to what end? A Divine intelligence? A god? Many gods? Evolutionary process?

The texts explain in great detail the process Gotama went through to reach enlightenment, but fail to go beyond looking at the suffering of this (and past and future) lives to ask where it all started.
    Basically,no.Lord Buddha did not answer these questions.In fact the Buddha went so far as to say they were not necessary to answer.They would only create more confusion and that it was enough to understanding that life is suffering,the cause of suffering etc.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm an atheist mind you so I have no preconceived idea as to who or why, but if the texts do not provide an answer, the next obvious question would be Who keeps karmic score? Better yet, who came up with the dualistic nature of "good" karma vs. "bad" karma? Is it dependent on the individual so that what is "good" for you is only "good" for you or are there absolute "goods" and "bads", such as killing is a "bad" no matter who you are. If so, who decided as such?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2010

More or less. See MN 63.

Basically, it's a non-issue. According to the texts, a beginning point isn't evident (SN 15.3 ). All that matters in the here and now is whether there is suffering present, and if so, how it can be overcome.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm an atheist mind you so I have no preconceived idea as to who or why

If you are atheist then you have some very fundamental preconceptions. Atheism presumes to know what can't be known just as theism does ;)

Now, if you were to say you were atheist in regard to a specific deity about whom testable claims are made this would simply imply you tested the claims and found them false. This would be reasonable.

You might find that agnosticism as defined by Huxley is a more rational fit: Huxley defined agnosticism as follows: "... it is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can provide evidence which logically justifies that certainty. This is what agnosticism asserts and in my opinion, is all that is essential to agnosticism."
  • edited October 2010
    I'm an atheist mind you so I have no preconceived idea as to who or why, but if the texts do not provide an answer, the next obvious question would be Who keeps karmic score? Better yet, who came up with the dualistic nature of "good" karma vs. "bad" karma? Is it dependent on the individual so that what is "good" for you is only "good" for you or are there absolute "goods" and "bads", such as killing is a "bad" no matter who you are. If so, who decided as such?

It's simply the dharma. The ultimate truth of reality. Anything that is different from it causes suffering and is thus "bad." Truth is "good" as truth causes suffering to cease. Good and bad being terms I use simply because people understand them, mind you. Personallly I don't like to think of things in terms of good and bad, except I guess I would feel comfortable saying samsara is bad and nirvana is good.
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010

You'll find reference to the existential questions in the Abhidharma texts where the Buddha found it unhelpful to contemplate four groups of questions -

Is the world eternal or not, or either or both?

Is the world infinite or not, or neither or both?

Do the tathagatas exists or not, or neither or both?

Is the self identical with or separate from the body?

The Buddha saw these questions more as a snare being open to endless speculation and therefore could not assist migratory beings in their liberation.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    billmac, the world likes balance.. there's a point of equilibrium. If you like a scientific approach, looks up general systems theory. The world is an open system, it will take whatever you throw at it, but ultimately it will return to equilibrium. If we pollute the planet to the point where equilibrium is hard to obtain, we die out and then it returns back. As for 'good and bad karma', how do you think we decide what's good or bad? We look at how it affects the world... if it results in no harm it's either neutral or good... if it results in harm it's a bad action.

Most people rely on outcome to decide whether an action was good or bad, however a simple way to tell is look at intent and consider whether an action is skilful or unskilful. That way you won't have much confusion deciding between right and wrong.

So, as you can see there's nobody to keep score, it's just the nature of Earth... if you treat everyone badly, steal, lie and so on, chances are these things will catch up with you. If you are kind and honest... you're less likely to cause harm.

That's my 'atheist answer', not my 'Buddhist answer'.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Pineblossom, without contemplating those questions from every angle in order to determine that they cannot be answered one way or the other, how can one be sure that they haven't attached to one of those views? Those questions have been examined in detail in Madhyamaka writings and if I'm not mistaken the middle way is considered to be a Buddhist approach to adopting a correct view.-P
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Nobody knows.
    It's in this that the end of suffering is possible.
    That's about it.

However, Buddha did encourage us to question phenomena -- Therefore if you are questioning reality, it's a good start and you're on the right path. This general curiosity combined with existential anxiety definitely led me to Buddhism, so it's all good.

Keep playing the mind games, you'll realize that they have no substance eventually.

:)
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    robot wrote: »
    Pineblossom, without contemplating those questions from every angle in order to determine that they cannot be answered one way or the other, how can one be sure that they haven't attached to one of those views? Those questions have been examined in detail in Madhyamaka writings and if I'm not mistaken the middle way is considered to be a Buddhist approach to adopting a correct view.-P

Sorry Robot - not quite with you on this. Could you elaborate perhaps?

Personally I don't know of any teaching which examines these 14 questions. But I am always open to correction.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Pineblossom, thank you. The books I will refer to are MMK- mulamadhyamakakakarika, Jay Garfield translation. MMT-Madhyamakavatara- Shambala Library. BCV-Bodhicharyavatara -Shambala Library. Question 1- MMk chapter 19, 21 Question 2- MMK ch. 2,4,5 Question 3-MMKchap. 22. Question 4- MMT- page 282-305. BCV- page 243-250. For questions 1and 2 a more general reading of the whole text might be better. Questions 3 and 4 are pretty specific. See what you think and let me know if you don't mind. Sorry about the way this post looks. I cant figure out how to make a list on here.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2010
    robot wrote: »
    Pineblossom, thank you. The books I will refer to are MMK- mulamadhyamakakakarika, Jay Garfield translation. MMT-Madhyamakavatara- Shambala Library. BCV-Bodhicharyavatara -Shambala Library. Question 1- MMk chapter 19, 21 Question 2- MMK ch. 2,4,5 Question 3-MMKchap. 22. Question 4- MMT- page 282-305. BCV- page 243-250. For questions 1and 2 a more general reading of the whole text might be better. Questions 3 and 4 are pretty specific. See what you think and let me know if you don't mind. Sorry about the way this post looks. I cant figure out how to make a list on here.

To make a list, use [ list ][ /list ] (with out the spaces), and put [ * ] (without the spaces) in front of each item. Here's an example (just hit quote to see the tag codes if you need to):
    • Question 1- MMK chapter 19, 21
    • Question 2- MMK ch. 2,4,5
    • Question 3- MK ch. 22
    • Question 4- MMT pg. 282-305; BCV- pg. 243-250
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Thanks very much Jason
  • edited October 2010
    Billmac,
    ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
    I do not think that Buddhists or those whose spiritual philosophy is influenced by Buddhist thought--such as myself—are by logical necessity against ‘first principles’ or metaphysics per se. What a philosophically informed Buddhism might attempt in answering your questions is that we need not suppose that there’s such an answer or final-absolute principle (involving a Being or causal process) that may account for Dharmic phenomenon. I think first one must see the empirical nature of Dharmic metaphysics via existential suffering and what can we then suppose is an epistemically acceptable answer to what we can say about the nature of things tentatively. Among other things, I think we can say at least three things: One, karmic causation results from the observation that things act on and interact with one another! Simple as that! For convenience sake we may categorize different types of karmic interplay: Common and personal, fixed and mutable, and primary and secondary. Things affect each other from without and within. Two, this reveals that there’s ontological connectivity or ‘interbeing.’ One thing cannot impact or change into something else unless things were mixed and mingled together in such a manner as to make possible such change from ‘this’ to ‘that.’ Hence, three—all things are impermanent. Things hardly remain the same. Buddhist philosophy recognizes that in order for these certain states of affairs to obtain these three conditions must hold. These are simple truths that can have enormous impact on one’s worldview.
    <O:p></O:p>
    So, if things are causally contingent on other things that have changed and are continuously changing, then one cannot be dogmatic about the ultimate realities beyond these (and some other) truths—so to speak. Since our minds are part of this finite, contingent, and changing experience of the universe we are epistemically bound to be skeptical of ‘absolutes’ and knowledge of ‘first causes’ that purportedly differ in some fundamental-existential way from our empirical observations to the contrary.
    Thanks all again for a wonderful discussion,
    Eric D. :)
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I'm an atheist billmac, I'm also a moral relativist and my view of the universe is one of mechanistic materialism.

None of which stops me following the dharma of the Buddha.

The Buddha didn't teach concerning the Creation, or lack thereof, because frankly it doesn't matter. What good does knowing origin of the universe do you, beyond satisfying simple curiosity?

As for karma, the Buddha taught that thinking about it too much, like trying to work out the reasons behind why things happen to you is a waste of time.
    All you need to know is that your actions have consequences.
    There need not be any magical reasoning behind it, you already understand that what you do affects the world around you, which in turn affects you back, usually in relation to your original action. And if you're at all familiar with Chaos theory you'll be able to comprehend the notion that even slight action on your behalf can shape the world in ways beyond your appreciation.

As for who decided what is good and bad, it is pure logic. Actions like killing, stealing, being angry or holding a grudge lead the mind away from a settled and peaceful state. Whereas the opposite emotions - compassion, tolerance, acceptance and contentment contribute toward a peaceful state of mind. There is not a divine judge who separated the light from the dark, that is something we have to do for ourselves.
    username_5 wrote:
    If you are atheist then you have some very fundamental preconceptions. Atheism presumes to know what can't be known just as theism does.
    No. Atheism is simply the lack of belief in god/gods. I don't believe in a god or goddess, I don't see evidence of their existence in my daily life, I see no reason to bow down in worship of them, I have no reason to speculate on their nature and relationship to the world and myself.

I certainly do not claim to know that there is no god, which makes me agnostic. However, I have no god in my life, I am quite literally without (a) god (theos).
  • edited October 2010
    If you don't positively assert there are no gods, but rather say since there is no evidence supporting their existence you don't believe, you are an agnostic atheist. This is what most atheists are. People largely don't know what gnostic and agnostic means. It deals with knowledge, not belief.