Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Buddhism Obsolete?

edited November 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I've come to wonder recently if Buddhism is obsolete.

The reason it was invented (or discoverered) in the first place was that people had a lot of suffering. This was back in India 3000 years ago were people lived in shacks, food wasn't very plentiful, and people had very much less luxuries.

These days however... we have so much of everything including entertainment and TV and computers and Coca-Cola.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy meditating and doing yoga and going to the woods to connect with Mother Earth. That is just icing on the cake.

We live in beautiful times... and it's getting better all the time. With so many people going "green" soon we'll have a utopia on our hands. Maybe not... but these are great times to be alive anyways.

I guess my point is... I don't suffer very much. I'm happy and satisfied. This might be because I live alone and have found my peace, my place. But that is just me.

In fact, I have suffered because of Buddhism... trying to figure stuff out that just plain left me confused. Then finding out... that what I already have is exactly what Buddhism was meant to create. Duh.

So... maybe Buddhism is obsolete... imagine a world without religion ey?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    milkmoth wrote: »

These days however... we have so much of everything including entertainment and TV and computers and Coca-Cola.

Yet with all these things, the people with the most luxuries are general less happy than those that have very little. At least thats what i've heard.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    milkmoth, you may not suffer, but you should be able to observe how others suffer.

TV and computers don't lead to cessation of suffering. In fact, they create it.

Many people think that the their happiness it proportional to how much money they have in their bank accounts, but obviously that's not the case. That's an example of modern suffering.

Surely, you can see how these petty pursuits people have lead to suffering and stem from ignorance. Just like over 3000 years ago.

If anything, Buddhism is more important and applicable now than it was back then.
  • edited November 2010
    Attachment now and 3000 years ago is the same.
    With coca cola and food like that, the attachment and craving is killing your health more than 1000 year ago and that will bring great suffering.
    We still need Buddhism.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Its good to be positive, yet bad to be ignorant. Generalising, people cruise through their lives when things are good and wonder what happened when things don't turn out right. Your love of your life dies, or your parents, or you lose your job, get cancer...... Its at these times that people tend to turn to Buddhism. If you have the inclination then look for the suffering. Its quite easy to observe it in other people, for instance when their watching TV or playing a computer game or under the pump at work. You can hear the sighing for instance. You live to work and work to live, why? Also people die all the time, even healthy people, I'm typing this now, I may be dead tomorrow, I don't know, if so have a nice life :) . This body as soon as its born it starts a downhill ride. If I'm not suffering too much at the moment all I have to do is listen to the news people are dying all over the place, in fact that seems to be the sole focus of the news nowadays. If its not death on the news its a serial killer show, or even worse reality TV which is about as far from reality as possible. Suffering is not pessimistic its a path to freedom, but it has to be the right time. If this is not the right time for you then it doesn't matter what others say.

Cheers, WK

===============
    PS: I think fire stops a troll from regenerating :)
  • edited November 2010
    I don't care, nor do most other buddhists, whether you or anyone else become a buddhist. So long as the teachings are kept alive, it really doesn't matter. I'd like everyone to, but it's their choice and their journey. Suffering still exists. Even if you live a good life there is suffering. Then you can observe how people throughout the world suffer. There is a path to the END of suffering. Not just a temporary replacement for suffering. That path is buddhism. If you're happy and you don't feel the calling to buddhism, that's fine for you. Some of us feel the calling. I feel buddhism has had a great impact on me, as have many others. So let me ask you. If I, and many other people, are happier and treat people better because of buddhism, is it obsolete?

That being said, I don't like the approach some buddhists take to life. "Life is suffering" is inaccurate. Life is beautiful. The beauty is not perfect or permanent, hence the need for buddhism. But you're right, the world is a great place and improving all the time. That doesn't make buddhism obsolete, though.
  • edited November 2010
    3000 years ago there's no traffic jams, stressful work with tight deadline, office politics.
    It can be quite peaceful at that time where you can sit at a hut watching the nature... a little boring and bugs might disturb you but it's quite..... tranquil in life.....
  • edited November 2010
    I agree with the others. Buddhism is not obsolete because we have more material possesions than others did thousands of years ago. It is a wonderful religion that teaches you to let go and be free. How could that ever be obsolete?
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Entertainment is not a source of contentment, but a source of distraction. Nowadays we are overloaded with it - it's very accessible in the 'developed' countries. Very many of us are addicted to these distractions (sitting behind the TV after work or whole days, if there's no work; going for the refrigerator, when there's no need to eat; surfing on the interwebs for hours with no real meaningful purpose etc)
    These people are not becoming happier or more peaceful, in fact the opposite is very often true.

Buddhism is not about going to the woods to connect with Mother Earth. This Mother Earth is just another condition. I'm not saying there is no beauty in it, tho.

And as others have already said, the Buddhist path is very much about cultivating this understanding of selflessness, which leads you to have compassion for others. So even if 'you' are not suffering, there are many (I'd say most of the humanity), who are.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I don't think Buddhism is irrelevant today.

The social structure has never changed. It's still 80/20, 80% of wealth in the hands of the minority 20%.

With wealth and poverty, attachment arises. Buddhism teaches us not to get attached to either. :)
    edited November 2010
    Milkmoth, why post in this forum anyway. If you are an experienced meditator this is the wrong place. What's your motivation?

Cheers, WK
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah I guess...

For me it just makes more mental stuff I have to keep track of. I am aware that Buddhism itself is empty or preaches emptiness. So I've decided to just let it go. That's kinda funny... :p There is just too much propaganda about living with detachment, emptiness. It's really kinda depressing... Mind this is coming from someone who's been practicing for 15 years.

I mean... what was the point? A nice sigh of relief? That's just normal... which makes Buddhism sorta irrelevant. We're empty by nature already. We're not attached to anything - by nature.

What is the point... I rather have moments of happiness and moments of sadness than hard core emptiness. Besides, life is not complete without sadness. It's just perfect like the Tao said. "If you mess with it you'll ruin it." So why mess with yourself. You're already perfect.

Buddhism itself preaches that... "we need not to go on the journey at all." "The journey need not be made." Duh.

Oh well... thanks.
  • edited November 2010
    Please don't take offense with what i'm about to say. I don't think it sounds offensiive, but I say that just incase. What your saying has a lot of truth to it. I understand where you are coming from with it. In fact, some of what you're saying is a higher truth than many are aware of. That being said, you're missing out on a more fundamental truth which is important to understand before you understand what you understand. This truth is more widely known. This is the danger of the deeper teachings within buddhism. If you don't understand and fully trust the basics you could fall away and jump to some conclusions that are not helpful to the path. Once again, I mean no offense, in some ways it's a compliment that you understand something that many don't.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah I guess...

For me it just makes more mental stuff I have to keep track of. I am aware that Buddhism itself is empty or preaches emptiness. So I've decided to just let it go. That's kinda funny... :p There is just too much propaganda about living with detachment, emptiness. It's really kinda depressing... Mind this is coming from someone who's been practicing for 15 years.

I mean... what was the point? A nice sigh of relief? That's just normal... which makes Buddhism sorta irrelevant. We're empty by nature already. We're not attached to anything - by nature.

What is the point... I rather have moments of happiness and moments of sadness than hard core emptiness. Besides, life is not complete without sadness. It's just perfect like the Tao said. "If you mess with it you'll ruin it." So why mess with yourself. You're already perfect.

Buddhism itself preaches that... "we need not to go on the journey at all." "The journey need not be made." Duh.

Oh well... thanks.

The Lord Buddha didn't really emphasize about emptiness, suffering, impermanence and non-self. What he did emphasize was happiness, permanence(Nirvana), self and the methods to achieve them which totally negates suffering, non-self and impermanence respectively. :)
  • edited November 2010
    You're all full of it... or empty of it. This is my last post here. If you're posting on a forum... any forum - and you're a "Buddhist" - then you're no Buddhist at all... like me.
  • edited November 2010
    You're all full of it... or empty of it. This is my last post here. If you're posting on a forum... any forum - and you're a "Buddhist" - then you're no Buddhist at all... like me.

I'm sorry I don't get it. You're making simple things sound complicated :eek:
  • edited November 2010
    Buddhism warned about the misunderstanding of emptiness.
    those who realize it are internally happy. :)
    it's not nihilism

Bye Milkmoth.....
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited November 2010
    lol, so you think people do not suffer now as (a slight majority of the worlds population) do not live in shacks or in poverty.. In our deveolped world, we suffer differently, but suffer the same. Just because there are gadgets, amazing health care, plentiful food and everything else, does not subsequently suggest that we do not suffer. The ignorant life is a suffering one, the delusional, unenlightened existence is one of suffering. How many people in your society take drugs, kill themselves, self harm, cry, get depressed, get physically hurt, are on medication?
    edited November 2010
    Hi Milkmoth,

You don't give a lot of information, however, this might be useful. Its from Khenchen Thrangu commentary on "An Ocean of the Ultimate Meaning" by Wangchuk Dorje (1555-1603), though specifically written in relation to Mahamudra meditation, this particular section is related to Emptiness itself:
    Section: Passing Through the Thee Dangerous Pathways
    The first fault is Emptiness arising as an enemy. This is not something that occurs during meditation but is the result of a conceptual idea of emptiness. If it occurs, it is serious and dangerous. However, if one has love and compassion, faith and devotion, and good meditation, it will not occur. If it does happen, it needs to be recognized and removed.
    Emptiness arising as an enemy means that one has developed attachment to emptiness. Consequently, one thinks that the accumulation of good and bad actions is just empty and that no real result comes from the accumulation of karma. Believing that there is no particular reason to cultivate positive actions or eliminate negative actions, one will not eliminate bad actions or cultivate good actions. Normally, to recognize emptiness as emptiness is a very good thing, but in this case it becomes a fault. This is not something that generally happens to meditators, but it is a possible fault that should be recognized and avoided.
    Hopefully I'm way off track here. You should know that Buddhism does not lead to a state of apathy, if that were the case I would agree with you. The path is much greater than that and much more rewarding. If you don’t want to find a teacher you really need to read some books that will lead you in the right direction in relation to meditation so that you can recognize deviations and alter your course accordingly.

Good luck, WK
    edited November 2010
    I hope we're not too late :(
  • edited November 2010
    Whoknows wrote: »
    I hope we're not too late :(

Don't worry - impermanence.

If someone wishes to leave Buddhism, we should wish him well.
    Some people of certain faith condemns and hunt down ex-followers. We are not like that. We are graceful and open.
    I wish him well in his spiritual journey.

Why don't you try Bonpo, a similair religion to Buddhism? :)
  • edited November 2010
    In the 4 Noble Truths taught by Buddha which is often translated as suffering, actually not just supperficially suffering or pain cause by poverty. The Dukkha itself consist of 3 types of suffering, from supperficial until very subtle Dukkha. As long as beings have 5 skandhas, all of us will be subject of Dukkha. All of us will experience the 4 river : birth, old, sickness and death.

Eventhough we seem have so many enjoyment in this life but after all, ultimately we only wandering from one realm to another realm in samsara and continuesly experience the 4 river.

Like Ajahn Chah said : "Why are we born? We are born so that we will not have to be born again."

Buddha has pointed out our 'problem', the cause and the way out. If you find it useful, then use it. If not, then leave it. It's all depend on you.
    edited November 2010
    mantra0 wrote: »
    Don't worry - impermanence.

If someone wishes to leave Buddhism, we should wish him well.
    Some people of certain faith condemns and hunt down ex-followers. We are not like that. We are graceful and open.
    I wish him well in his spiritual journey.

Why don't you try Bonpo, a similair religion to Buddhism? :)

Hi MantraZero,

My concern is not that he's leaving Buddhism, but the possibility that he may have a serious meditative deviation that could cause great harm for himself and others. Hopefully its just garden variety apathy, then that's OK. Meditation is great, but we really shouldn't make it up ourselves. Too many Westerners do that, we have no idea of the potential consequences, at least we could read books from experienced meditators, those that have gone before.

As to Bonpo, without a teacher you could be beset with harmful spirits whether or not you believed in them :eek:!

Cheers, WK
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Well, the OP gave me a good laugh this morning anyway :) If suffering is connected to living in shacks and not having Coca Cola, why is there a multi-billion dollar world wide industry devoted to nothing but making anti-depressants? And the happiest people I've ever seen have been dirt poor.

No, in fact, I'd say just the opposite. If anything Buddhism is *more* relevant today than ever before.
  • edited November 2010
    Emptiness is what our heart desires to enter into....its true that its nature is inherently empty (perfect) and needs nothing added or subtracted. However that is not to say no path is needed along with the striving needed to fulfill the path. Our window is fogy, our lake has ripples, these are causal and require skillful means to eradicate....which is where the path comes in....upon completion our lake just is as its always been in all its pristine clarity....however samsara needs to be uprooted before we can enjoy the non arising of fog and ripples and enter into that emptiness unhindered.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I rather have moments of happiness and moments of sadness than hard core emptiness.

I'd say you've misunderstood emptiness. Emotions, just like thoughts, will come and go no matter how 'empty' you become.
  • edited November 2010
    McMansions with computers and Coca-Cola are empty too. The higher you get, the farther you fall.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010

Buddhism is not nihilism.
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited November 2010
    i think the op is either joking or frustrated with buddhism and trying to get our feathers ruffled for whatever reason
  • zpwestonzpweston Explorer
    edited November 2010
    Okay, before I say anything I read most of what was being said, but a lot of it just seemed repeated ideas, which is important, but I don't want to be accused of missing the conversations. This is just a quick response. All I wanted to say was that if someone leaves Buddhism, then okay. I just wish that people, for whatever reason didn't have to try to bring others down with them, not to sound offensive. I don't mean down as anything more then the most basic sense. I just wish there weren't rebel rouser's in the world. I feel as if most of this post was stemmed from much more than just a goodbye to the path. Milkmoth I hope you truly are happy and well, and if none of us are Buddhist by having a sangha on the web, which this forum basically is then we are all wrong and we should bow to the great Moth as our god and leader, but then we defiantly wouldn't be Buddhist so I'm sure I won't be the only one who is sadden but not frustrated by your post. Hope you are well and happy.
    edited November 2010
    Well, the OP gave me a good laugh this morning anyway :) If suffering is connected to living in shacks and not having Coca Cola, why is there a multi-billion dollar world wide industry devoted to nothing but making anti-depressants? And the happiest people I've ever seen have been dirt poor.

No, in fact, I'd say just the opposite. If anything Buddhism is *more* relevant today than ever before.

EXACTLY how I feel and felt when I read this post. The modern way of life causes more suffering than that of living in a jungle tribe in my opinion. The simple life is a some what peaceful one :)
  • Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I surely needed Buddhism to control my temper. When I began practicing I found out that it helped me free myself of a lot of other worries - what education? What about grades? Will I have money enough? Can I find a study-relevant job? will my relationship work out the next six years? do I have the discipline to study? will I find friends in the new city?

Everyone can use Buddhism for something :)
  • edited November 2010
    Is there an antonym of obsolete that doesn't imply contemporaneity?
  • edited November 2010
    geezo pete...I just found Buddism and it has had a very strong influence in my life.....lets not kill it yet.....geeze. Right now I am working thru a very sad situation in my life. Buddism helps me NOW. Not then not soon not next year. It is helping me NOW. ;)
    edited November 2010
    I hope for you to have right view, right intention and get thorough your sad situation in the most skillful way possible buddhabee :) EVERYTHING is transient and under constant change, so you will soon enough not feel as sad or at all sad for that matter.
  • edited November 2010
    I think someone got their ideas of Buddhism from western new-age fads... also, if coca-cola and entertainment are enough to make you happy, then that's great for you, but, A, not everyone has those, and B, that's not much to live for, in my opinion anyway. And all those things can disappear in an instant when money dries up, would you still be happy then? forgive me rudeness, but I can't help but feel you've lived either a spoiled or sheltered life.

I apologize, rereading this it seems more aggressive than I was thinking while typing it, that isn't my intent, just things to think about.
  • edited November 2010
    ty tt. thank you. Maybe tonight I will get thru it. Thank God for change around every corner.
  • edited November 2010
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I see the OP as totally misguided and irrelevant, basically because there is no understanding of just what the Buddha was on about.

To me, it is not that there is joy and happy things on one side, and on the other suffering; not that you have to consider the balance of the two, and if the joy and happiness begin to outweigh the suffering, then Buddhism becomes more irrelevant.

My undersanding is that "dukkha" is the total context of living as a "self" that is constantly seeing such dualities and striving for more of one and less of the other.

They can truly enjoy the feast who would just as willingly fast (Eckhart)
    edited November 2010
    That's one problem with forums, when we talk about others without their participation then I feel we're crossing the line into wrong speech. I suppose the best way is to aim our comments to the OP, or talk in such a way, such that it doesn't look like we're talking about the OP like they're not there. I've got no great answers to this question, but intuitively this feels a bit wrong. But that's probably just me :)

Cheers, WK
  • zpwestonzpweston Explorer
    edited November 2010
    Sadly I agree. I feel the OP has left this comment for the simple fact of hurting others feelings and talking about him is exactly what he wanted and intended.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    In that case, let's leave it here.
This discussion has been closed.