Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

You cannot think (reason) your way out of emotions

LostieLostie Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
What do you guys think of this above statement?

Is that where mindfulness comes in?

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Hmm, I'd sort of almost tend to agree with the statement.

From experience, emotions lead the thoughts rather than the other way around. Not always though. So yeah, for the most part I agree with the statement and being mindful of the emotions tends to make the thoughts more reasonable.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes, if you can bring mindfulness to your emotions, then you can stop them and question: why am I feeling this ...... (anger, jealousy, etc.)? And you can stop and analyze what is behind the emotion, what beliefs, thought patterns, etc. feed or give rise to the emotion. Thus you can sort of talk your way out of the emotion and see that it is based in false beliefs, or habitual thought patterns, or fears.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Lostie wrote: »

I completely disagree.
    Given that all is Mind-wrought - how else are you going to do it?
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited December 2010
    It depends. Some emotions are simply the result of muddled thinking: thought associations that are irrational or impressions that are inaccurate. For example, feeling dejected because you assumed that the reason your friend didn't call you was because you're boring or unlikeable, when there could be any number of reasons. Psychologists call these "cognitive distortions." In such cases, aligning your perception with the reality of the situation can help alleviate the distressing emotion.

However, other emotional states are ingrained into your neurology to the point where it will take time for the patterns to unravel themselves. Things like depression or anxiety fall into this category. In such cases, it's important to maintain a sense of self-compassion and not make an adversary of your emotions. Making an enemy of your emotions is a form of aversion. Aversion simply complicates the situation by reacting to the initial emotion with more emotion. For example, becoming angry at yourself for experiencing depression, or fearful of your anxiety. Aversion toward our suffering, thus, will only perpetuate the sense that there's something wrong (when, in reality, if you allowed the emotion to be as it is, you would find it will pass away like anything else). (Coincidentally, the authors of the book The Mindful Way through Depression state outright that trying to "think your way out of depression" can often leave you more depressed because it perpetuates the mindsets of self-blame, self-condemnation, and impatience.)

Emotions arise and pass away. In cases of ingrained patterns, such as depression or anxiety, it's possible to unravel the pattern by patiently allowing the individual emotions (sorrow, fear, shame, etc.) move through you, giving yourself some compassion for experiencing such unpleasant mind-states, and then training the mind-body complex (through meditation or counseling) to maintain a nonreactive, equanimous attitude toward them. Gradually, little by little, such patterns will become less regular.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2010
    It's absolutely correct. The most convincing argument I've read regarding this is in the book Ethical Know-How.

The fact is, while there is some scope for rationality in the way we choose our beliefs and general policies, it is impossible to choose rationally on an ongoing, moment-to-moment basis. The experiences and opportunities of life are too rich for that.

Meditation teaches that it's possible to experience emotional content without acting on it, so that although there's no escape from the emotions, they aren't necessarily running the show, either.
  • edited December 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Meditation teaches that it's possible to experience emotional content without acting on it, so that although there's no escape from the emotions, they aren't necessarily running the show, either.

And then, with time, the emotion dissipates and dissolves, and we are no longer "stuck" in it. Much easier said than done of course, but it's one way of letting go of a negative emotion.

This is of course similar to the way Cognitive Behavioral Therapy deals with panic attacks. As long as one is able to recognize and remind oneself that it's a physiological reaction that will pass, and that it may very well be based on negative expectation regarding a certain situation, then this could be thought of as "reasoning one's way out of an emotion". If one applies reason persistently and skillfully enough while experiencing the "negative" emotion, then it will pass.

For instance, if one is agoraphobic based on a false belief about going out of one's "safety zone", such that "if I go out in public I will certainly faint and fall down and the paramedics will have to be called and it will be embarrassing and expensive and I can't possibly tolerate something like that", then it's important to ask (rationally) if those things will really happen, to begin to believe that it's highly unlikely that those things will happen, and then gradually, with practice and time, one has actually "reasoned one's way out of an emotion". That's not to say it's not extremely uncomfortable and often extremely difficult. It often seems impossible to reason one's way out of an emotion because the emotion is so strong, but it can be done.

By the way, I am much inclined to agree with Glow's explanation regarding the "ingrained" nature of depressive or pathologically anxious states, that they are in fact "state-dependent" because they are based primarily in the state of the neurological phenomena taking place at the time, but it's common to use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in conjunction with antidepressants or antianxiety medication to achieve the final outcome of "reasoning one's way out of an emotion".
  • edited December 2010

I would disagree with it, although I'm not sure what Buddhism says on the subject. It is my experience that while we feel emotions, they are often irrational and thought leads to a more middle path between being reactive to your emotions or being emotionless and purely logical. So, I believe you can reason your way out of emotional responses but not out of emotions as a whole. I.e. you'll still experience happiness, sadness, frustration, etc but through mindfulness you'll better understand your emotions, the attachments related to these emotions and you'll be able to be "emotional" without it causing you pain or suffering.

In another thread someone posted the Dalai Lama's comments on mourning and depression. To summarize, it is acceptable and human to feel these emotions but it is unskillful to become attached to these emotions or to let them "take the wheel" if you will. That's how I read it at least.

If nothing else, this is a great opportunity to meditate on the origins, necessity and suffering/non-suffering related to emotions.

--Chris
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Despite our best efforts to either hold on to or let go of emotions (or anything else), still they run out of steam. This is worth observing, I think.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited December 2010
    You can reason you're way out of emotions. There are therapy modalities built on this assumption (REBT and CBT). When emotional intensity is high this becomes very difficult. Fortunately, emotions swell, crest, and dissipate on their own (unless a thought restarts it). So, when reason is difficult this is something to be mindful of.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure I know what emotions and thoughts are. Not really. So no I don't know.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Mindfulness of emotions is important in our practice yes, but insight alone will change the mind's tendencies to have unskillful emotions arise in the first place.

Namaste
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I read a teaching that said thoughts could be broken in an instant to powder. Like rocks. And they just disappear. Whereas emotions are like lotus flowers with strands that are fibrous and stick as you try to peel them away.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I read a teaching that said thoughts could be broken in an instant to powder. Like rocks. And they just disappear. Whereas emotions are like lotus flowers with strands that are fibrous and stick as you try to peel them away.

Thoughts are the easiest thing to change IMHO. Emotions are connected to physiological responses as well (heart rate, facial expression) that can restart them. Thoughts can also restart them as already stated.

Most emotions are connected in this way. The problem is with sudden and intense emotion which usually is not connected to a conscious or even sub-conscious thought but to incoming sensory data (sight, sound, etc) that triggers fight/flight. This is especially the case in PTSD. But even in these cases mindfulness is the first step.
  • edited December 2010
    Why would you want to leave emotions?

Saying we can think our way out of emotions is like saying we can water our way out of fish.
  • edited December 2010
    Why would you want to leave emotions?

Saying we can think our way out of emotions is like saying we can water our way out of fish.

We would want to make so-called negative emotions less painful, or correct incorrect emotions. I think "modulate" emotions is a more correct term than "leave". It's a simple matter of not being overpowered by them.

But to think our way out of an emotion- consider something that might normally cause fear, like a man throwing a knife in your direction. You experience fear of death, and perhaps anger or hate for the man throwing the knife in your direction. Then you take notice (which changes your thinking about the situation) that the man is actually throwing the knife at another man behind you that was sneaking up on you to kill you. Would that not be an example of how changing thinking about a situation changes the emotional response to a situation? (Not a very Buddhist example, I know.)

We can change our emotions by changing our analysis or self-addressed thinking about a situation or occurrence. Otherwise we would become stuck in one emotional state and never be able to change it.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Sherab,

I would categorize that as a recognition rather than what I think Lostie meant as a thought. I think Lostie means say someone just called you a dick could you reason your way out of the emotion you experienced or how do you really react? How could you react? What are the possibilities?

Your example would be if you recognized that they didn't call you a dick they called someone else. Which in a sense is a thought too so I see what you mean. I think thought refers to some conflicting phenomenon. Its hard to be precise with just 'thought' and 'emotion'.
  • edited December 2010
    For purposes of this discussion, a "thought" is an interpretation, evaluation, or other abstract evaluation of an event, even though it may be so closely followed by an emotion that it can be confused with the emotion. Say you were walking in a forest at night and you saw something that you thought was a snake, and were startled and afraid immediately after that, when then you realized that it was just a stick that sort of looked like a snake in the dark. After a few seconds or minutes your fear would abate and you would realize that it was just a stick and you would continue walking- unless you began to think more and more about snakes, and decided based on the fear of snakes not to walk in the forest any more. This is how thoughts and feelings alternate and feed one another- but it is possible that once the correct analysis is made, that it's a stick and not a snake, to no longer feel fear and to keep walking.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I think the point I am trying to make is sometimes thinking is not particularly helpful. The actual process of healing your emotions is more difficult. Sure there are thoughts that bubble up when that healing goes on. But if you were in the midst of confusion anxiety and pain that a loved one was rejecting you and blaming you. Some thoughts from an outside party however well intended might just make you blow your stack. And then later maybe you'd reflect on those thoughts and they would somehow help your healing if they were accurate reflections or hints.

It doesn't have to be an outside party you can just ruminate and stew with thoughts. And feel so heavy.

And back to the original question. That is where mindfulness comes in. So your right too, but I am finding something in my experience.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited December 2010
    genkaku wrote: »
    Despite our best efforts to either hold on to or let go of emotions (or anything else), still they run out of steam. This is worth observing, I think.

But we create them don't we, gen and if we wanna we can keep 'em running as long as I want.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Here is my example of of how thoughts help me with emotions. Lately I have had an irrational reaction to the unfounded thought that my ex is seeing someone. She has every right to be happy and she should have a companion. But so far there is no proof that this is the case. I have created this scenario in my head. The emotion and physical feeling that I feel is just like fear. The only other thing that compares to it is the feeling I get when I am afraid at sea. It is in my stomach. On reflecting on this situation I have come to realize that it is based on a historical event in my life. When I was a child my mother took me and my sister to the beach in Delaware. A strange man came with us. My parents had recently separated. At some point my mother disappeared with this man for what could have been several hours presumably to have sex. She left my sister who was about six at the time with me. I was terrified and jealous of the man for taking my mother away. How could she leave us to be with him, a stranger? I felt abandoned and used. I believe that this event has stained my relationships with women my whole life. Awareness of the cause and effect relationship between the historical event and the present emotion has to be achieved through thinking, for me anyway.This knowledge doesn't eliminate the emotion because it runs so deep but it tempers it somewhat. It helps to illuminate the delusion behind it and it can't help but reduce some of its power. Mindfulness of my thoughts when they are not focused on the cause of the problem reveal them groping around for evidence that I have been abandoned yet again. Its like my body wants to feel the familiar pain. In the past I may have done something stupid like confronting my ex about my suspicion, which of course would be insane. With mindfulness of the situation I can go about my day and be "like a log of wood". No one else gets involved in my craziness.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    robot I think your thinking helped you to uncover this mystery. But I would also suspect that there was a process outside of thinking where you sort of eased up and became like the wood and out of that relaxation or calm you got outside of the usual wheels of your mind that were going in your current situation. But I am amazed you had that realization, the mind is really amazing.
  • edited December 2010
    Robot, that's a great and admirable story and I think it's a good example of how corrections in thinking can make for corrections in emotional responses.

Jeffrey, I think the process goes something like: 1:Stop and relax 2:Reframe your thinking if possible by going over possible alternative scenarios like we see Robot having done here, and 3: See if the emotion changes to something more manageable based on a more correct thinking assessment/interpretation of the situation.
  • edited December 2010
    Jeffrey, I think the process goes something like: 1:Stop and relax 2:Reframe your thinking if possible by going over possible alternative scenarios like we see Robot having done here, and 3: See if the emotion changes to something more manageable based on a more correct thinking assessment/interpretation of the situation.

And that, SherabDorje, is a perfect description of the meditative process: 1. shamatha (concentration) 2. vipassana (insight) 3. post-absorption.
  • edited December 2010
    upalabhava wrote: »
    And that, SherabDorje, is a perfect description of the meditative process: 1. shamatha (concentration) 2. vipassana (insight) 3. post-absorption.

Well, good on me, and Dr. Aaron Beck too!:D
  • edited December 2010
    Well, good on me, and Dr. Aaron Beck too!:D

I had never heard of him.

Learned helplessness is an enlightening {conceptualization} of suffering subjectively experienced.
    In part two of the Seligman and Maier experiment, these three groups of dogs were tested in a shuttle-box apparatus, in which the dogs could escape electric shocks by jumping over a low partition. For the most part, the Group 3 dogs, who had previously "learned" that nothing they did had any effect on the shocks, simply lay down passively and whined. Even though they could have easily escaped the shocks, the dogs didn't try.

wiki

Recently, Maier, Seligman, and Solomons have reported extensively on a phenomenon termed "learned helplessness." If one inflicts unavoidable, random punishment upon an organism, it appears to learn that escape-orientedb ehaviori s futile, and it will be retardedi nlearning a later behavior which will allow it to terminate aversive stimulation. This is apparently a phenomenon of wide generality, having been demonstratedw ith a variety of punishmentsa nd species, including man.

Psychological Studies of PunishmentAuthor(s): Barry F. SingerSource: California Law Review, Vol. 58, No. 2 (Mar., 1970)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    what I find amazing is how does the right frame find its way? And sometimes I have to wait a long time for that frame and I just have to sit with a bunch of stuff I don't understand.
  • edited December 2010
    Upalabhava, Aaron Beck is the most prolific writer (or maybe it's the best known, or the best one I know) on CBT.

Jeffrey, I suggest you just brainstorm alternative scenarios or alternative ways of thinking about an issue either by yourself or with a trusted friend- many people do this with a therapist. Just be creative. Ask yourself what the alternative ways of thinking about the issue might be.

Peace to all.
  • edited December 2010
    It's not always about reframing your thinking, exactly. Sometimes it's about doing some deep reflection to try to arrive at what is giving rise to the emotion/s. Childhood trauma? A mistaken belief system? and so forth.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I see a therapist and I am brainstorming when I talk to him. I think he is a good one so I don't think that is the problem. In conjunction with the message of my teacher to open to (the) experience. Maybe I have a frame that I think is pretty good that I was trying to show you?

Its very challenging to make a frame for a picture and the taste in it is subjective wouldn't you say? But we cannot deny that we have that experience of taste or so they say?
  • edited December 2010
    Upalabhava, Aaron Beck is the most prolific writer (or maybe it's the best known, or the best one I know) on CBT.

Yes, thank you. And his wiki led me to the profound bit of learned helplessness.
    His work at the University of Pennsylvania inspired Dr. Martin Seligman in refining Seligman's own cognitive techniques and exercises and later work on Learned helplessness.
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I would have to count myself in the "you can think your way out of emotions" camp. Just imagine walking along a beach and you are sullen and sad. Completely consumed by these emotions could sink you into near a depressive state. Then suddenly, you see a child struggling in the water. Then the question becomes is it possible for you to maintain this emotion in the face of greater danger? For most people, they would not be able to continue on in that frame of mind. When they reevaluate the situation the emotion would change immediately. The priority becomes saving the child's life and that is deduced by reasoning. When we change our priorities, we can supplant emotions with more noble ones.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I do it all the time, so I would say it's a false statement.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Sherabdorje,

I am coming from teachings by a teacher who has studied the Mahamudra. The nature of awareness as clarity openness and sensitivity is emphasized. Within the Dzogchen tradition I believe that would be Rigpa. It is also taught that frames of view are not the problem but that grasping onto them is. This is related to the point I was trying to make.

I merely said I thought awareness was amazing and wondered how a suitable frame comes to the forefront of awareness. A sense of wonder looking onward with a light touch not straining. Which I am adamant that that is amazing and we need not try to find an airtight theory as that will always fail because the nature of awareness cannot be known by concepts. In turn you suggested I see a therapist to brainstorm ideas.

I would like you to reflect on how it could cause problems for you if when having a disagreement with someone you suggest that they seek therapy. That can be not very tactful. In my case I was not suggesting that I needed a remedy to more rapidly unconfuse. I was expressing my own wonder at the mind. Linked with the idea of clarity openness and sensitivity. In that system the way to get increasing clarity is to open to the situation which includes opening to positive and negative emotions. And from my side it was hurtful because it suggests that my problems understanding the dharma come from emotional problems which I am not receptive to hear from a 'forum dude'.

Moreover even should that be accurate I am sure I am not the only one in that camp and of course those with emotional problems can benefit from discussions in a forum and study in fact that is presumably another source of healing in conjunction with therapy.

I am just guessing you were frustrated when you suggested that and well intending, but that you hadn't realized the social sense of boundaries in suggesting therapy which is unfortunate. I will try to heal my own sense of stigma at seeking therapy, but I think you should be aware that it is very common to feel a sense of stigma and take special care when you suggest that to someone. Also reflect that your understanding is limited and that therapy may not be a suitable cure for a particular problem as I have tried to clear up in my first two paragraphs and the first portion of the third..

Thank you for having good intentions however.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't see emotions as a problem. What I do see as a problem is all of the thinking that we manipulate our emotions with. Emotions arise as a direct response to a situation and then quickly dissipate, unless we keep stirring the pot with conceptualizing about what happened and why it always happens to us, and the nerve of that guy for saying that, and I can't believe that that guy cut me off, whodoeshethinkheis??!?

Privileging certain emotions and denigrating certain others is just attachment and aversion to certain states of mind. By all means apply an antidote if you can't apply mere wakeful presence. For me, I have found that less monkeying about with the gears is helpful. Emotions are wonderful. Even anger has a tremendous clarity and precision if you just stay with it and don't get carried away into hateful thinking or harmful action.
  • edited December 2010
    Jeffrey-

I apologize for any misunderstanding I may have caused. I did not mean to suggest that you should seek therapy- I just meant to suggest that some people do this type of brainstorming and cognitive reframing or restructuring with a therapist. I have not gone back to read the post in which I talked about therapy before writing this one, but I remember "backing up" to write something that I meant to mean that people in general sometimes do this rather than have it look like I was suggest that you in particular seek therapy.

In any case, it appears I have caused misunderstanding and I apologize.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    It did feel a bit of confusion but I will be ok and thank you your apology is accepted.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Karmadorje- I agree that normal emotions are a fact of life though somewhat painful at times. In my earlier post I described what I believe is called a defiled emotion. An emotion that has been messed with at an early age due to mishandling by a caregiver. Or other unhealthy circumstances. It is these defiled emotions that cause the real problems. Another example. In my marraige there were two people who had been raised by unhealthy individuals. When we had a disagreement or a fight, it was very difficult to find a solution. For me it was as if every fight was life threatening. My world was about to collapse. I think it was the same for her. I don't think either of us could accept love from the other. I'm not convinced that I will ever be totally healed in this regard. I am afraid to dive back into any relationship and this is after 6 years. People talk about giving up the worldly life and practicing full time and I suppose that is one way to avoid these issues. I have not decided whether ignoring defiled emotion is the same as healing it.Can someone short circuit the problem through practice?
  • edited December 2010
    Ignoring things that hurt you is a kind of attentiveness to it. Does that make sense? It's like the phrase:

"Don't think of pink elephants!"

As long as you are giving energy to these thoughts and patterns of behaviour, there will be no healing from them. On the other hand, practice can loosen your attachment to the "I" thought, which is the basis of all of the problems. If you gain some real experience of spaciousness, then while the problems don't go away, they cease to be disturbing.

I am not convinced that the event with your mother is foundational. It may be one link in a long chain of how you think about yourself. In other words, based on certain events you started building mental habits. These patterns have been repeated so many times by you that they feel very substantial and real.

Given that I think you are dealing not just with a few disturbing thoughts but rather a whole habitual pattern of who you think you are in relation to the world, I think it is even more critical to just look frankly and CHEERFULLY at your emotions. I know how painful those thoughts can be, I dealt with an actual infidelity back in my early 20s that was crushing. However, the feelings are never so bad as all of our thoughts tell us they will be. Our self-protection becomes in a real way more painful and restricting than what we are trying to protect ourselves from.

The first step is really to make friends with your emotions and resolve to respect what they are telling you without getting caught up in building scenarios and excessive speculation. Just stay with the feeling. If you are feeling fear, let yourself feel the fear without feeling averse to it or that you need to do anything about it. Be courageous. If you just let it be, it never lasts long.

Over time, you will find that this becomes a certain knack you develop. The wonderful thing is that as you do so, you gain tremendous respect for the insight that your emotions bring you when freed from the constant pushing and pulling of attachment and aversion. The past is past, the future has not yet arisen and in this moment you are just simply relaxed and alert. Does this make sense?
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Karmadorje, Yes, it makes total sense. Thank you for your insightful reply.