Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Non Physical Abuse and Violence

edited December 2010 in Philosophy
After reading most of the discussion, "Skillful Blame", I wanted to explore some similar questions that I've had for years on this subject. I thought that it would be better to start a new thread rather than possibly derail the OP's post.

I've heard people express both sides of the same coin on the topic of cause and effect and karma. Some say that every outcome is the result of skillful or unskillful thought, speech, and actions. Others say that all experiences are the result of past karma. I accept that both of these factors affect our lives but I'm not sure how much other people's thought, words and actions affect us and to what degree. I have a hard time understanding where our own factors leave off and other factors outside of ourselves take over.

People have the option to elevate themselves and those around them or to cause harm. It seems that the desire to cause harm is growing stronger and becoming part of our culture. We see it in the news- bullying, workplace "mobbing", abuse of the internet to "out" or humiliate people. With all the knowledge readily available to us, in the developed world, why the increase in cruelty and abuse?

To me, there is no difference between physical, emotional, psychological, or mental abuse. Each cause harm, inflict injury, and can severely alter the victim's life. People seem to give a pass to non physical abuse. If the victim is overwhelmed by the abuse, they are labeled weak and thought to lack good character. Often, the abusers are lionized as strong, smart, winners.

In my eyes, people ganging up on someone by spreading rumors, humiliation, and verbal abuse are just as bad as thugs who physically beat someone to cause injury or death. I think that people are comfortable using non physical violence because their actions cannot be measured like physical injuries. For example, if you saw a group of people attack a lame person, stomping on the person's bad leg to cause loss of limb or life- you would think that they were monsters. Verbal assault of people is considered, by many, to be fair game and/or entertaining. I've heard people often respond, "what goes around, comes around" and are gleeful about another person's humiliation. I understand that ignorance is the reason why many people react this way. On the other hand, many people are very aware of how much damage they can do.

I understand that we are responsible for our own growth and development. I think that we also have a responsibility to elevate the group consciousness, as well. Knowledge can help awaken others.

How much of this activity prevents a targeted person from fulfilling a needed goal or developing a talent? Also, what about the observers of the verbal abuse? They are also affected by the abuse. They can be demoralized by witnessing it and being powerless to stop it. Others are influenced to take part, so that they can join the group, curry favor with the perpetrator, or out of relief that they are not the target.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this subject and how you cope with these negative actions. Sorry for the length of this post- I was hoping to be clear on the subject and not have it come off as a rant. If you've read up to this point- Thank You! and I wish everyone a peaceful, joyous holiday. Namaste.

mithril

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Karma is literally cause/effect, where the effect may not be immediate or may not even become apparent at all. Our speech, thoughts and actions create a feedback loop and either fortify our unwholesome trends, weaken them, or plant the seeds for the future.

What comes our way from the world (sights, sounds, tastes, touches, smells) can greatly affect our lives, but our own karma is the thing that will change our minds for the better or worse; it is our own karma that can lead to more suffering or less.

If we do not suffer in mind, we do not suffer; it won't matter what the world throws at us.

Namaste
  • is there neutral karma?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    This is from BuddhaNet:

"Besides the two varieties of karma, wholesome and unwholesome karma, we should mention neutral or ineffective karma. Neutral karma is karma that has no moral consequence either because the very nature of the action is such as to have no moral consequence or because it is done involuntarily and unintentionally. For example, sleeping, walking, breathing, eating, handicraft and so forth in themselves have no moral consequence. Similarly, unintentional action is ineffective karma. In other words, if one accidentally steps on an insect, being unconscious of its existence, this also constitutes neutral karma because there is no intention - the intentional element is not there."

I would call this neutral when applied to one on the path to awakening; ineffective when applied to one who has awakened. It is akin to saying no karma generation; there is no mental volition, and mental volition is why karma is important and how we use it to awaken. Other meanings aren't useful to us; this isn't just scientific cause and effect, but more the kind of cause and effect that deals with how the mind changes.

Namaste
  • edited December 2010
    @Cloud- I'm not trying to be argumentative on the subject, just trying to understand it more. I'm not that sure of the whole karma theory. It's very convoluted to me. I can agree with the cause and effect (in real time) aspect of life but I'm not at all sure of anything else regarding karma. Anything other than that seems to be an inefficient teaching tool.

Say that you had to take a very expensive class and needed to pass it to move on with your career. You have very little knowledge to get through the class, confusing and conflicting text books, and a teacher who offers little to no correction. Plus you have fellow students who confuse things even more or will sabotage the other students. Chances are that you will do poorly and have to repeat the class many times. This would become a costly and bogged down process. Students would come to the wrong conclusions, fail to learn the lessons, give up and become discouraged, etc.

So each year the student takes this class, their past mistakes are a factor in their grade but they don't know where they made the mistake or what they're learning this year.

I understand that enlightenment is not easy to obtain. I understand that we have to shed our negative behavior and delusions. The negative factors are dominate in our world because they are seen, by the masses, as the way to get what they need or want. People will use negative behavior for may reasons. So, if we suffer or are harmed by their behavior- we just had it coming anyway? There is no need to hold the negative person responsible?
  • edited December 2010
    What is "workplace mobbing"? Sounds frightening.

I think we have to be careful not to use the principle of karma to blame the victim. Bullies tend to choose vulnerable-looking or shy, reticent people to pick on. Often it's the more sensitive and quietly thoughtful, compassionate children who get picked on. Would you say it is those innocent individuals' past karma that attracted the bullying? Or in the case of a workplace where a kind, generous person might be surrounded by desperate, grasping egos? I don't think it's so simple as saying someone must have built up a load of bad karma from past lives, or the current life. Stuff happens to good people; I don't think there's anything karmic about it, except the negative karma the bullies earn themselves.

Possibly all the new forms of bullying are due in part to stress? Like road rage.
    Happy kids don't bully. Maybe there's something in the culture, or perhaps bullying is due to parents in a dysfunctional marriage, or who are emotionally abusive or distant towards their kids?
  • edited December 2010
    What is "workplace mobbing"?
    It's abuse in the workplace similar to schoolyard bullying but with more serious results. Here's a link:
    http://www.overcomebullying.org/mobbing.html

Thanks for your reply, compassionate_warrior. I first learned about eastern studies through the new age movement and they did seem to use karmic principle to blame the victim. I always questioned them by asking, "How can you tell if it's your karma or if it's negative action on the part of another individual?" They always brushed it off.

It just seems to me that society gives bullies a pass and grants them more power. It's probably not in keeping with Buddhist beliefs, but I think that we all have a responsibility for the group consciousness. I believe that things are as bad as they are around the world, because the majority do not stand up to the "bad guys". This, in turn, just generates more negativity.

I get frustrated when people try to brush it off as "just karma". If that's the main force behind everything that happens, then don't we all incur more karma by supporting the bad guys?

I also agree that bullies have deep seeded behavior problems. Not all abused people lash out and harm others. Many abused people feel great empathy for others because they understand that kind of pain. Bullies are often narcissistic. Some truly lack empathy and are sociopaths.

I believe that bullying has been championed in our society for a long time. Just look at some of the "reality shows" on TV. They often pit people against one another and the most ruthless person "wins". Some shows humiliate people, and others make competition the ultimate goal. I believe that many people are taking cues from scripted TV shows into society and the results are harmful. People are becoming desensitized to other people's pain.

So, to those who like to cite karma as the driving force for all experiences- I have to disagree. Karma can be used as an excuse, and as a way to manipulate people. IE: Oh well, the reason that investor was able to steal all of your money was due to the fact that you have bad karma from being a thief hundreds of years ago. Sorry, I'm not convinced.

Namate

• edited December 2010
    Great post, kayte! I agree with you on everything. One psychologist friend gave me the statistic that 18% of the population is pathologically narcissistic; that's a lot of people, almost 1/5 of the population! Not counting the sociopaths, and more run-of-the-mill narcissists. And I believe 100% in standing up to the "bad guys", speaking out. Otherwise they get the signal that they can get away with whatever they want. Unfortunately, a lot of people turn away at unpleasantness and don't want to hear about the "bad guys", others have been conditioned from childhood to be in denial. So standing up to the "bad guys" can be a lonely place, sometimes. Or worse; it can earn you a lot of flack. So those of us who are inclined to be warriors for truth need to stick together.

I've begun to suspect, as you say, that karma could be used/has been used to manipulate people. In fact, I've seen on this site how accusations of "wrong speech" have been used to silence anyone speaking out about "bad guys" that no one wanted to believe were "bad guys". The teachings can be used to enlighten, or they can be used to silence and disempower. That's the conclusion I've come to recently.

There's a great Einstein quote, about how the world has become a very dangerous place, not because of the evil some people do, but because of what people don't do in response to evil. Is Dharma passivity, or is it activism? (Maybe I'll start a thread on that. ;) )

Carry on, kayte!
    mithril
  • Karma as a teaching is not about other people; just you. Just your mind, for the purpose of showing how to break free. Don't worry about how other people take it -- understand it as meaning only that your thoughts, speech and actions now will lead to either wholesome or unwholesome results... depending on whether they are skillful or unskillful.

Skillful thoughts, speech and actions are those that are not founded in greed, hate/aversion and delusion. They are in line with the precepts (the five precepts at least) and the Noble Eightfold Path. As Federica said in another thread, study the Four Noble Truths, Noble Eightfold Path and the Five Precepts and you should be okay; you have to combine those with a meditation technique (for "Right Concentration" factor of the Noble Eightfold Path), and I'd personally recommend Samatha-Vipassana.

Namaste
  • That's great, Cloud--keeping it real, keeping it immediate. But the problem is that others (with perhaps an imperfect understanding of karma?) may accuse one of being the cause (in a previous lifetime) of one's misfortune at the hand of another. Or we may witness others accusing someone of being at fault for their own abuse, due to karma. At that point, we have to be concerned about how others take it. Doesn't compassion require that we speak up, or act on behalf of the wrongly accused, if only to take them under our wing? Or do we walk away?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I have no idea. I understand karma only as a means of skillfully tending to the mind and steering it toward awakening and peace. Other understandings are themselves fraught with dukkha and should be abandoned. We should never blame others; the Buddha taught that.
  • edited December 2010
    Great. That clarifies a lot, Cloud. There's a lot of misconception of karma being bandied about in the world.
  • Well Thank you, c_w! I'm relieved that someone else sees things from this perspective. I was a member of another Buddhist site for a short time, a year or two ago, and I would never have posted the above there. I find that some sites are either all rainbows and pussy cats or arrogant and intolerant. I'm happy to say that I think this site has more balance. :D

I am grateful for the Buddhist teachings but I don't have an attachment to them. I am grateful to Siddhārtha Gautama for opening the door to a higher consciousness for all willing to listen.

I do firmly believe that we, as a collective, can alter our state of being in this world. This world is dominated by deception- in all aspects. There were periods in history where truth was the stronger factor that led to great discoveries and helped free society of destructive practices. Look at history.

I'm looking forward to your thread on Dharma! Please do, I think it will be a lively discussion. :clap: Namaste
  • Karma as a teaching is not about other people; just you. Just your mind, for the purpose of showing how to break free. Don't worry about how other people take it -- understand it as meaning only that your thoughts, speech and actions now will lead to either wholesome or unwholesome results... depending on whether they are skillful or unskillful.

Skillful thoughts, speech and actions are those that are not founded in greed, hate/aversion and delusion. They are in line with the precepts (the five precepts at least) and the Noble Eightfold Path. As Federica said in another thread, study the Four Noble Truths, Noble Eightfold Path and the Five Precepts and you should be okay; you have to combine those with a meditation technique (for "Right Concentration" factor of the Noble Eightfold Path), and I'd personally recommend Samatha-Vipassana.

Namaste
    Cloud, I'm not trying to argue with you. I see that you have a strong view on the subject of karma. I think that we DO have to look at the other people involved. Have you ever been falsely accused or betrayed? Have you ever had someone interfere in your life?

You can think, speak, and act as skillfully as you like, but if someone is out to harm you, they will use it against you.

I do place great value on the Four Noble Truths, Noble Eightfold Path and the Five Precepts but we do live in a deceptive world. These practices will guide you but not protect you like a magic talisman.

We can't close our eyes, and cover our ears, to make the bad stuff to go away.

I mean no disrespect.

Namaste

• edited December 2010

I do firmly believe that we, as a collective, can alter our state of being in this world. This world is dominated by deception- in all aspects. There were periods in history where truth was the stronger factor that led to great discoveries and helped free society of destructive practices. Look at history. Namaste
    What period of history was that, out of curiosity?
    I agree, BTW, that compassion requires that we act on behalf of others, not go around with our heads buried in a little cloud of 4 Noble Truths and the 8-fold path and precepts, though those are clearly fundamental. The vicissitudes of life require difficult choices, sometimes, including self-defense of one sort or another. The fundamentals serve as a guide in difficult situations, definitely. The practice of Buddhism in a sometimes hostile world is challenging and not so simple.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    @Kayte: If you were to stab the Dalai Lama, do you think that he would blame you? Hold it against you; hold a grudge? What I'm trying to impress upon you is that it's ultimately within our very own minds that this entire world of suffering arises. It's in how we take things -- how we view things. If you choose to hold on to "he beat me, he robbed me, he harmed me" etc., this doesn't lead to freedom.

We don't close our eyes and cover our ears to make the bad stuff go away. We do just the opposite... we investigate our minds and why these things cause us such pain, begin to understand that we've been looking at things in the wrong way and start to see life with clarity.
  • edited December 2010
    Good point, Cloud: it's in how we take things. We do, up to a point, create our own reality.
    But I'm speaking about when we're in-the-moment, and we see someone being abused, or having their abuse blamed on them, for negative past life karma. Not talking about ruminating about events after the fact. When you're in-the-moment, present as bad things are happening, you need to make a decision. Do you speak out to support the suffering one, or walk away? It's a moral decision. A very important one for Buddhists.

Can we agree on no more thought-experiments involving stabbing the Dalai Lama? Please?? :p
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    We should always be compassionate. No one deserves abuse from others, just as we should not blame others. The view of karma as used for blaming or that people of such circumstances were bad in past lives is not conducive to peace or awakening. The decision whether to help or not is an individual one, but if someone was being thrown rocks at because they are poor so people think they were greedy in a past life and hold it against them, I'd help get them out of that situation; away from harm. Ignorance is ignorant. This way of looking at karma is not what the teachings are about at all; it's more the Hindu way of viewing karma.
  • edited December 2010
    Yay! Three cheers! I think we all agree on that.
    We should always be compassionate. No one deserves abuse from others, just as we should not blame others. The view of karma as used for blaming or that people of such circumstances were bad in past lives is not conducive to peace or awakening. The decision whether to help or not is an individual one, but if someone was being thrown rocks at because they are poor so people think they were greedy in a past life and hold it against them, I'd help get them out of that situation; away from harm. Ignorance is ignorant.
    :clap:
  • edited December 2010
    What period of history was that, out of curiosity?
    I agree, BTW, that compassion requires that we act on behalf of others, not go around with our heads buried in a little cloud of 4 Noble Truths and the 8-fold path and precepts, though those are clearly fundamental. The vicissitudes of life require difficult choices, sometimes, including self-defense of one sort or another. The fundamentals serve as a guide in difficult situations, definitely. The practice of Buddhism in a sometimes hostile world is challenging and not so simple.
    It's not just particular times in history, it's the points in history when people went against the common beliefs of their times. People who challenged the status quo. People like Galileo, Copernicus, Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, and many others who stood up, were jailed, ex-communicated, and hated for pursuing an idea that was not widely accepted. There are too many others to list. Where would we be without these brave visionaries?

I think that the practice of Buddhism could benefit many people but you would still have those who are very adept at using negative means to remain dominate.

Have you ever noticed the different dynamics present when working with a group
    of people? I worked with a rotating group of people and observed a drastic change when you had enough negative personalities present. Same work load and conditions but less productive and unpleasant when working with them. When we had the positive people outnumber the negative ones- we got the most work done, people would help one another, and everyone, even the few nasties, were in good moods, happy even. That's why I think that it's important to try and stand up against the negative. It will never be easy but maybe worth the effort.

Namaste

• edited December 2010
    Kayte, you're a person after my own heart. You steal words out of my mouth. Welcome to the site!

Fascinating about your group-dynamics observations, BTW.
  • edited December 2010
    @Kayte: If you were to stab the Dalai Lama, do you think that he would blame you? Hold it against you; hold a grudge? What I'm trying to impress upon you is that it's ultimately within our very own minds that this entire world of suffering arises. It's in how we take things -- how we view things. If you choose to hold on to "he beat me, he robbed me, he harmed me" etc., this doesn't lead to freedom.

We don't close our eyes and cover our ears to make the bad stuff go away. We do just the opposite... we investigate our minds and why these things cause us such pain, begin to understand that we've been looking at things in the wrong way and start to see life with clarity.
    Cloud, I don't know how to explain my thoughts to you. First off, I would have difficulty stabbing a person, let alone the Dalia Lama. I'm not a violent person. That is a bit extreme and unrealistic for an example.

I would instead use a more mundane example such as betrayal by a friend. I had a friend who would come to me when she needed me but would turn on me when it suited her. Do I hate her? No. Do I want revenge? No. Would I try to embarrass her or cause her harm? No and No.

Now, do I allow her to keep treating me this way because, perhaps, I have bad karma with her? Heck No!

I don't see everyday rudeness and bad manners as something that I deserve from my own bad behavior in a past life.

Knowing that I did wrong to someone is painful for me. I am very hard on myself.
    Being awake enough for realization to occur is a great gift and it will help us along on our path to enlightenment. Truth is essential for any such realization and transformation. What I see happening in our world is a trend to devalue and obscure truth.

Knowledge is of no use if it is not shared and applied where it is needed.

Namaste
  • Hmm. Not sure what exactly to help you with, except I'd bring up again it's unhealthy to view karma in that way.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't think she needs help with anything, she seems to be very clear about her views.

Don't be hard on yourself, kayte; that's a form of attachment in itself. Just be mindful of your actions. Let go of the judging yourself. :)

I'm so glad we're no longer stabbing the Dalai Lama, if only in our imaginations! :p;)
  • edited December 2010
    Kayte, you're a person after my own heart. You steal words out of my mouth. Welcome to the site!

Fascinating about your group-dynamics observations, BTW.
    Thank you, c_w! It's so nice to be able to talk to like minded people in a forum like this. Even if people disagree, we have the opportunity to have our say. It's nice to find a kindred spirit, c_w.

I've experienced many weird dynamics in relationship to people. Maybe that is due to my past life mistakes. They are difficult experiences, but the opportunity to learn and observe are epic.

Namste
  • Good grief, don't go blaming yourself! Those situations were just opp'ties to learn, and you were wise enough to see that. Now those experiences are serving you well, and allowing you to serve others more effectively. Way to go!
  • Hmm. Not sure what exactly to help you with, except I'd bring up again it's unhealthy to view karma in that way.
    Cloud, I agree that it is unhealthy to clutter one's mind with negative feelings such as anger or guilt that could result from bad experiences.

I've seen people using karma as an excuse for Schadenfreude-satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune. The Buddhist concept of mudita, "sympathetic joy" or "happiness in another's good fortune", could be the opposite of schadenfreude.

I consider this to be unhealthy for society and that it could lead to worse behavior. A slippery slope, if you will. Once people are no longer satisfied with merely laughing at another person's pain, will they seek to cause it?

Will unawakened people find this a new entertaining sport? I think we're seeing this already. There have been news stories of people committing suicide because someone intruded into their lives via Facebook, Youtube, or another form of privacy invasion.

It would be great if we could all respect one another but this is not a level playing field. I'm not advocating that anyone abandon their beliefs. I just find that doesn't always work the way we would like, in our complex, modern society.

Thank you for your efforts to help me understand karma. I know that I need to work on this.

Namsate

• Good grief, don't go blaming yourself! Those situations were just opp'ties to learn, and you were wise enough to see that. Now those experiences are serving you well, and allowing you to serve others more effectively. Way to go!
    Wow, c_w, that's a great way to look at it. Thanks.

Namaste
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    kayte, I think your question regarding the use of the concept "karma' to blame the victim was answered. I'd like to address your other point, which was about sticking up for the underdog when bullying of various sorts occurs, rudeness, racial slurs, whatever (I'm expanding a bit on your theme). I think we all have a moral obligation to speak up when we see inappropriate behavior or hear inappropriate speech. This is easier said than done, especially in intimidating situations. But the more we practice that, the easier it gets. And if we don't speak up, we'll never know if there are others present thinking the same thing we are. If we speak up, we encourage others to do the same, and the dynamic changes, the world becomes a little more fair and compassionate. I think this is partly what the concept of "right speech" is about; using speech to help others, to stop abuse and injustice.
  • kayte, I think your question regarding the use of the concept "karma' to blame the victim was answered. I'd like to address your other point, which was about sticking up for the underdog when bullying of various sorts occurs, rudeness, racial slurs, whatever (I'm expanding a bit on your theme). I think we all have a moral obligation to speak up when we see inappropriate behavior or hear inappropriate speech. This is easier said than done, especially in intimidating situations. But the more we practice that, the easier it gets. And if we don't speak up, we'll never know if there are others present thinking the same thing we are. If we speak up, we encourage others to do the same, and the dynamic changes, the world becomes a little more fair and compassionate. I think this is partly what the concept of "right speech" is about; using speech to help others, to stop abuse and injustice.
    I couldn't agree more. I think the whole world loses every time people fail to step up.

Namaste