Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Karma- 'that's what you get!'

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
At times, when something not so desirable happens to someone, another usually replies with a 'They get what they deserve,' or 'what goes around comes around.'

Now, that could be also meant kindly, if something nice happens- pay raise, etc.
So, how can you 'accurately' describe something, as to not make it seem so matter-of-factly, and like the person deserves what's happening to them, good or not?

Or should you even? :D
thanks.

Comments

• Personally, I don't think karma explains everything. Sometimes, what goes around comes around. Sometimes, it is a new action creating new karma. Bad things can happen to you even if you have done some good. Other people are creating Karma and you get to experience it not because you deserve it but just because you are there at that moment.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Simply: Shit happens.
  • Haha.
    That's what I was thinking, to both.

That's just what happens.
  • I think using karma to "blame the victim" is an incorrect interpretation. This was discussed on another thread. Random stuff does happen, IMO. But when I think about it, Vajrayana teachers (and texts) do teach that everything in this lifetime is the result of karma "ripening" from past lives. Hopefully we can get more opinions on this.
  • I would hope not. But then again, I couldn't say if that's something that shouldn't happen.

Like a baby dying, is that karma? Did it do something to deserve dying so young? It happens.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    This just illustrates how very little much control we have over the world; we don't know what's going to come our way. All that we can do is look to ourselves, to our own minds; the Buddha showed that we can be at peace with any situation, if we develop the non-clinging mind (Nirvana).
  • But that can't always be. Sometimes things pop up. What if you get kidnapped and are hurt during your capture, for long periods? How could you handle that? Beyond knowing your body isn't 'you'. But still.
  • Practice is the only real answer. These words, the words in the sutras and commentaries and books and what-not... they're useless if not put into practice. An intellectual understanding of the teachings doesn't help anyone, it just gives you something to cling to. Practice is what gives rise to insight, wisdom, and then the teachings are no longer needed; you see the truth in every moment. Taming and training the mind, one can experience but not suffer from physical pain, et cetera.
  • I understand that.

What if you aren't trained though, you just suffer. I couldn't imagine that for someone.. especially myself or someone I know. Even if I didn't, just anyone! That's why it might be better if everyone followed Buddha, but it can't. So maybe it's better this way. I don't know.

Thank you, though, Cloud. And everyone.
  • I would hope not. But then again, I couldn't say if that's something that shouldn't happen.

Like a baby dying, is that karma? Did it do something to deserve dying so young? It happens.
    It is strange why karma has to work on a baby. But I don't think it is Karma especially if death is due to disease or accident. The same question probably applies to death due to earthquake and other natural disasters. If I remember right, I have read somewhere that not everything is due to karma as in death cause by natural disasters. In any case, just don't worry. Just do good and live!

• Karma does not make babies die. Conditions lead to infant death. Conditions.
  • And those conditions are determined by past life actions. But I must say, some of you folks are making me question some of the teachings.
  • edited December 2010
    Karma is just one of five natural laws/processes called "niyamas". Therefore, as footiam said, not everything is due to karma. There is more information on them here and they are also mentioned on this page about the "theory of karma". There is also this sutta on dhamma-niyama.

Oh yeah, and happy new year!
  • Thank you, Bodhipunk!
  • The buddha said that you would have to be a buddha to know the reason for the color of a peacocks feather is how I heard it. So people who say they know that there was a karmic reason for X are either just tooting their mouths or else sometimes its constructive. For example when I have a shitty day I look at bright side that I am practicing mindfully with 'bad karma'.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2011
    At times, when something not so desirable happens to someone, another usually replies with a 'They get what they deserve,' or 'what goes around comes around.'

Now, that could be also meant kindly, if something nice happens- pay raise, etc.
    So, how can you 'accurately' describe something, as to not make it seem so matter-of-factly, and like the person deserves what's happening to them, good or not?

Or should you even? :D
    thanks.
    The biggest problem even Buddhists have with karma is only thinking about isolated individual experiences and using karma as an excuse for why bad things happen to innocent people.

First, there are bad things people do to each other. So, a baby was kidnapped or beaten. Karma, right? The baby did something bad in a previous life? No, the baby's past karma did not force people to perform evil acts on it. Saying the victim deserved it is the same as saying the person who does this is not responsible. Your karma does not force people to do things to harm you. That is their own karma. So, this is a wrong view of karma. It's also a common view.

Then, there are the bad things that just happen to people. Accidents and acts of nature and such. A baby is born autistic. A family is swept away in a flood. Past life karma? An entire family with bad karma coming their way? Of course not. Babies do not arrive with a load of karma from an infinite number of past lives to work off. The flood does not care if one or a thousand innocent people are swept away, it just obeys the forces of nature. So this is also a wrong view of karma. The drowned man's karma did not cause the flood. It's also a common view.

So some Masters throw their hands up in frustration after the thousandth time someone wants it explained, and say, "Only a Buddha can understand karma!" It reminds me of my Christian roots, and when pressed to explain why bad things happen to good people, they end up saying "It's God's plan, beyond our understanding." Avoiding the question is not the same thing as understanding the answer.

It is our desire for justice in the world that twists karma into a wrong view. It's looking at karma in terms of punishment and reward. It's trying to use karma to explain why bad things happen to good people, and why people who don't deserve it seem to get so much. To understand karma, you only have to penetrate this dualistic view of life.

Actions have consequences. That's all.

Some parts of your life story are out of your control. You didn't choose the parents, or the situation you were born into. You didn't choose the world you live on or the actions of the people you have to live among. Thus, you can't say anyone deserves or doesn't deserve any of this. You can't know all the consquences of your actions, even. A decision that seems good can turn out to be bad, but that bad consequence can turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to you, seen from a later time.

So what's a Buddhist to do? Buddhism is a path of liberation from the entire concept of karma as fate. Let go of the question about good and bad, not because it can't be understood, but because it's irrelevant. People suffer. Why? Because they are suffering. So help them, and help yourself while you're at it.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Karma IS action.
    Vipaka is consequence.
    So when people talk about 'bad karma!" they believe they are talking about the consequence. What they actually mean is "Bad Vipaka!" but they don't realise that.
  • All right- I got what you're throwing out.
    I would believe it if you had to be a Buddha to know why karma does what it does, and what karma is and is not.

Cinorjer, thank you, especially. That makes a lot of sense.

As well, everyone else- good information to hear from others.

Thanks! Have a nice New year.
    Namaste
  • edited January 2011
    The biggest problem even Buddhists have with karma is only thinking about isolated individual experiences and using karma as an excuse for why bad things happen to innocent people.

First, there are bad things people do to each other. So, a baby was kidnapped or beaten. Karma, right? The baby did something bad in a previous life? No, the baby's past karma did not force people to perform evil acts on it. Saying the victim deserved it is the same as saying the person who does this is not responsible. Your karma does not force people to do things to harm you. That is their own karma. So, this is a wrong view of karma. It's also a common view.

Then, there are the bad things that just happen to people. Accidents and acts of nature and such. A baby is born autistic. A family is swept away in a flood. Past life karma? An entire family with bad karma coming their way? Of course not. Babies do not arrive with a load of karma from an infinite number of past lives to work off. The flood does not care if one or a thousand innocent people are swept away, it just obeys the forces of nature. So this is also a wrong view of karma. The drowned man's karma did not cause the flood. It's also a common view.

So some Masters throw their hands up in frustration after the thousandth time someone wants it explained, and say, "Only a Buddha can understand karma!" It reminds me of my Christian roots, and when pressed to explain why bad things happen to good people, they end up saying "It's God's plan, beyond our understanding." Avoiding the question is not the same thing as understanding the answer.

It is our desire for justice in the world that twists karma into a wrong view. It's looking at karma in terms of punishment and reward. It's trying to use karma to explain why bad things happen to good people, and why people who don't deserve it seem to get so much. To understand karma, you only have to penetrate this dualistic view of life.

Actions have consequences. That's all.

Some parts of your life story are out of your control. You didn't choose the parents, or the situation you were born into. You didn't choose the world you live on or the actions of the people you have to live among. Thus, you can't say anyone deserves or doesn't deserve any of this. You can't know all the consquences of your actions, even. A decision that seems good can turn out to be bad, but that bad consequence can turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to you, seen from a later time.

So what's a Buddhist to do? Buddhism is a path of liberation from the entire concept of karma as fate. Let go of the question about good and bad, not because it can't be understood, but because it's irrelevant. People suffer. Why? Because they are suffering. So help them, and help yourself while you're at it.
    Cinorjer-Thank you! You've certainly cleared up much of the confusion I've had on the subject. I think that most of society's problems result more from false concepts and values adopted by the group rather than karma.

This was sort of a New Years gift for me and others, I hope. Thanks, I can start the new year with less distraction from worry about karma. You've lightened the burden of some past bad teachings that I still carry around.

:bowdown: :clap: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :clap:
  • edited January 2011
    Good clarification, Cinorjer. I take issue only with one part. According to Vajrayana teachings (I can't speak for the other schools), babies do arrive with a karmic load to work off, and also to benefit from. According to Vangelis on other threads, who quotes sources, karma is carried over from one life to the next via the vehicle of consciousness, or mind. So kayte, this, to my mind, answers your question about who is the karmic scorekeeper. Someone else, however, observed that karma isn't the only operative principle. So that could address the apparent contradiction between what Cinorjer is saying, and the belief/teaching that karma does follow us into a new life and sets up the conditions of that life. Too bad it's necessary to read 4-5 threads at once to gather all this information. But I think some important ideas are being worked out. If it takes several threads to achieve that, then so be it.

I've never heard or seen any masters/teachers throwing up their hands and saying "Only the Buddha can understand karma". The Lamrim, for one document, explains how it works in detail. But I note that many people here don't accept those teachings. And I must say, that if it's true karma isn't the only operative principle, that idea is absent from the Lamrim. According to Vajrayana teachings, by the way, we did choose our parents. I think it's up to each of us, obviously, to decide which teachings we'll accept, or which school of Buddhism to follow. I think discussions like this are valuable because they may cause us to question teachings, re-evaluate, etc., just as the Buddha taught.
  • It is true that according to Vajrayana teachings, even babies begin with a karmic load. That isn't my school, so I can't say much about it, although I'm glad you brought it up.

Vajrayana does hold a more literal view of rebirth than some other schools of Buddhism. However, it's important to note that this teaching also divides karma into different types, since there is agreement that karma is intentional action and babies certainly don't begin life able to decide anything. So correct me if I'm wrong, but a baby begins with past karma only (acquired karma), and even then the Buddha lists as a wrong view the idea that all happiness or suffering arises from previous or present karma.

• edited January 2011
    So you're asking that if the baby experiences horrific suffering in its infancy, that couldn't possibly be due to karma acquired in the actual lifetime, is it then due to karma from previous lifetimes, is that what you're asking? I suppose, grim as it may sound, going strictly by Vajrayana teachings, the answer would be yes. Good question to put to a teacher, but I'm afraid the lama would say "yes". I imagine that it could be possible that the parents' karma might be a factor in the baby's suffering; it could be due to an interplay between the baby's and the parents' karma. It may be the parents' karma to have a sickly baby born to them. But I'm speculating, I'm not a learned teacher.

(Frankly, I've really come to have more and more doubts about Vajrayana since joining this site. But that's what I'm schooled in, so that's what I present. Though I'm far from an advanced practitioner.But I'm reading everything with an open mind, to learn. What's your tradition, C?)
  • My tradition is Korean Zen (Chogye order), which actually predates the Japanese schools and is closer to classic Chinese Chan. All that means is, we do a lot of chanting and bowing along with meditation and koan work.

My own Teacher would say that your particular understanding of karma is only important if it gets in the way of your practice. Buddhism is, after all, a path of liberation from karma, no matter how you think it works. Replace karma with "genetics", which is just physical karma by another name, and people don't have a problem with past life karma.
  • edited January 2011
    One rarely hears of Korean Zen. Sounds like it's a step on the evolutionary path between Chan and Japanese Zen. Thanks for sharing.

re: genetics--there have been new findings that document that suffering such as experiencing famine actually gets encoded into the genome, and manifests in subsequent generations in the metabolic processes, i.e. a tendency to hold onto calories. That's probably true of other types of suffering, other types of trauma as well. Epigenetics is the name of this relatively new science. Sounds like karma to me.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2011
    So you're asking that if the baby experiences horrific suffering in its infancy, that couldn't possibly be due to karma acquired in the actual lifetime, is it then due to karma from previous lifetimes, is that what you're asking? I suppose, grim as it may sound, going strictly by Vajrayana teachings, the answer would be yes. Good question to put to a teacher, but I'm afraid the lama would say "yes". I imagine that it could be possible that the parents' karma might be a factor in the baby's suffering; it could be due to an interplay between the baby's and the parents' karma. It may be the parents' karma to have a sickly baby born to them. But I'm speculating, I'm not a learned teacher.
    Any Lama answering this definitively would not be a learned teacher either.

The Buddha quite clearly states that the Laws and workings of Kamma are an unconjecturable and vexatious problem, and should not be thought upon for fear of making the thinker go mad.
    Anyone who purports to have a concrete answer is, in my opinion, putting themselves above the wisdom and teachings of the Buddha.
    The workings of Kamma are impossible to divinate, and as such, questions, such as those concerning a baby's Kamma are sure to lead to frustration, inner conflict and resistance. Really. How can anybody truly know for sure, for sure? Lama or otherwise?
    (Frankly, I've really come to have more and more doubts about Vajrayana since joining this site. But that's what I'm schooled in, so that's what I present. Though I'm far from an advanced practitioner.But I'm reading everything with an open mind, to learn. What's your tradition, C?)
    If it's any consolation, I didn't adhere to any specific Buddhist tradition for a very, very long time. I initially leant towards Mahayana, because there are so many books on the market written by experienced teachers, lamas and Nuns, which are all extremely worthy, instructive, pertinent and wise.
    But all in all, my core leanings are towards Theravada. It;s so WYSIWYG, I love it..
    Frankly, simple, no nonsense and it just gives me everything I need.

For true in-depth of knowledge of Theravada though, I've yet to meet a better read layperson than Jason.

• Jason is impressive, and has been very helpful with his citations and interpretations. And thank you for the input re: the Buddha saying that the workings of karma are unconjecturable. (You wouldn't happen to have a source for that, would you?) I think that answers the how-does-karma-work, and who-is-the-scorekeeper questions. Thank you for rescuing us from ourselves. ;)
  • So you're asking that if the baby experiences horrific suffering in its infancy, that couldn't possibly be due to karma acquired in the actual lifetime, is it then due to karma from previous lifetimes, is that what you're asking? I suppose, grim as it may sound, going strictly by Vajrayana teachings, the answer would be yes. Good question to put to a teacher, but I'm afraid the lama would say "yes". I imagine that it could be possible that the parents' karma might be a factor in the baby's suffering; it could be due to an interplay between the baby's and the parents' karma. It may be the parents' karma to have a sickly baby born to them. But I'm speculating, I'm not a learned teacher.
    Any Lama answering this definitively would not be a learned teacher either.

The Buddha quite clearly states that the Laws and workings of Kamma are an unconjecturable and vexatious problem, and should not be thought upon for fear of making the thinker go mad.
    Anyone who purports to have a concrete answer is, in my opinion, putting themselves above the wisdom and teachings of the Buddha.
    The workings of Kamma are impossible to divinate, and as such, questions, such as those concerning a baby's Kamma are sure to lead to frustration, inner conflict and resistance. Really. How can anybody truly know for sure, for sure? Lama or otherwise?
    If it's any consolation, I didn't adhere to any specific Buddhist tradition for a very, very long time. I initially leant towards Mahayana, because there are so many books on the market written by experienced teachers, lamas and Nuns, which are all extremely worthy, instructive, pertinent and wise.
    But all in all, my core leanings are towards Theravada. It;s so WYSIWYG, I love it..
    Frankly, simple, no nonsense and it just gives me everything I need.

For true in-depth of knowledge of Theravada though, I've yet to meet a better read layperson than Jason.

Part of what I love so much about Buddhism, is that while the sutras say karma is one of the imponderables, we then go on to see entire sutras pondering the imponderable. And sometimes getting it wrong, of course. Those old monks are a delight to read and watch their minds at work, trying to translate the Dharma.
  • Part of what I love so much about Buddhism, is that while the sutras say karma is one of the imponderables, we then go on to see entire sutras pondering the imponderable. And sometimes getting it wrong, of course. Those old monks are a delight to read and watch their minds at work, trying to translate the Dharma.
    Oh. So contradictions are built into the system. That explains a few things. Great exchanging with you, C.
    Jason is impressive, and has been very helpful with his citations and interpretations. And thank you for the input re: the Buddha saying that the workings of karma are unconjecturable. (You wouldn't happen to have a source for that, would you?)
    Pardon my omission, you are quite right to ask.
    Check this link:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.077.than.html
    I think that answers the how-does-karma-work, and who-is-the-scorekeeper questions. Thank you for rescuing us from ourselves. ;)
    I do what I can....

if it helps at all, I've always seen myself as the Village Idiot. I'm the kind who (completely in an opposite way to Jason) prefers pretty colour-in pictures, and things very simply put. I'm not a great, deep meticulous reader of the Suttas and teachings - but I do listen, and I take in a lot. Some of it sticks, other stuff I have to put down because my eyes go woggly and my brain begins to fry....:crazy:
    But I'm a staunch and vocal supporter of this 'simple' way....
    I've always grasped (in a good way!) the 4NT, the 8Fold path and the 5 precepts as being pretty much everything anyone needs to get from A to B.
    I'm further, much comforted that a very good friend, who is a Bikkhu, and a nun at my local temple both supported this notion and recommended it as a good way to go. This wonderful nun also told me to go one better; 'Just be Mindful, and Simplify.'

This may not be everyone's way to go. I would think it inadvisable we all do the same thing.
    We desperately need literate scholars like Jason. Heck, he has taught me much, as have others... But I think the simple Life isn't a bad one, myself.
  • Thanks for the vast input. I suppose the only thing you can say is that 'Things happen.' And maybe, one day, you or I will understand it. But maybe not, and I don't know if it matters. (Probably not.)

And I read, federcia, karma was action. I never knew that, so thank you.

:D
  • edited January 2011
    The way I see it, Kharma is a Buddhist or Hindu expression of nature's balancing act: a steady chain of cause and effect that results in the balance of existence in this universe. It has no fathomable beginning or end, and neither is there also a fathomable concept of "right or wrong."

Kharma may either be the cause or effect of a single person's fate, or those of whole community. It can be driven by the actions of a single person, or the behavior of a whole society. It can be driven by even larger events that are environmental: the weather, an epidemic, a meteor.

There are many Kharma's acting on us all at once: those of our own actions, those of our parents' or family's, those of our society, and the environment where we are at, came from, going to be. Some Kharmas are bigger, stronger, more significant than others.

Some Kharma are immediately "balanced," while other can take hundreds of years to manifest. Smaller Kharma are easy to understand at a certain "shallow" level, but it is undoubtedly connected to a more broad and deep "cause" at the same time. On top of that, Kharmas are constantly colliding with one another, shallow and deep. It is complex.

To understand the complexity, picture a very active ocean. It's made up of waves of different sizes, large and small and everything in between, perpetually colliding with each other. There are the surface waves and there are the under currents. I view the complexity of Kharma this way. There are many Kharma in action all at once. Some Kharma are big, and others are small, some shallow, some deep and these are all in a perpetual state of collision in one big bowl we call our universe.

As large waves/currents overwhelm smaller ripples, when one Kharma collides with another, the larger and deeper will always will always prevail. If there is a concept of "justice" in the universe, this would be "the law," I guess.

As you and others said, "things happen." To some extent, we can dig and search a little to discover some fascinating things, and other times, it's either too big, or too many missing pieces for us to comprehend.

This is my understanding of Kharma. I don't mean to impose it, just to share my beliefs. I may be right, or not. Either way, I hope that helps.