Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are your looking for the answer of your question? Lets share!

edited January 2011 in General Banter
To practice Buddhist, the most important element is Wisdom, something more special than knowledge. Knowing the unknown is also a Buddha nature, the Enlightenment. Let us share our knowledge and wisdom to each other. Have any question feel free to ask!

Buddha sasana digham titthatu, long live the Buddha;s teaching

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Well... do you believe in reincarnation? Just wondering. :nyah:
  • It seems to me that this world could have been designed in any way that the true self wanted. Even if suffering is of the imagination, it appears to be real to those suffering. Why did the true self not simply omit the illusion of suffering in the first place?
  • The "ultimate evil" in Buddhism is "craving". It seems, however, escaping from craving is impossible. I have been thinking about this subject tonight. It seems to me, a practicing Buddhist strives towards eliminating craving; and, in doing so, craves "non-craving". Is this not true? The wish to eliminate craving is rooted in craving itself-craving for "non-craving". I would appreciate input on this particular thought experiment.
  • Yes, I do believe in reincarnation! though I can't remember the past because I m not enlightened,, yet,,,(:)), simply ask your self WHO AM I?
  • The "ultimate evil" in Buddhism is "craving". It seems, however, escaping from craving is impossible. I have been thinking about this subject tonight. It seems to me, a practicing Buddhist strives towards eliminating craving; and, in doing so, craves "non-craving". Is this not true? The wish to eliminate craving is rooted in craving itself-craving for "non-craving". I would appreciate input on this particular thought experiment.
    That is why the wisdom to distinguish between what is skillful and unskillful is so important. In fact, craving for enlightenment or Nibbana is probably what motivates some to practice. It is natural to want or crave something. However, even "craving non-craving" is something which must be overcome. There is no "craving" vs. "craving for non-craving" (which is comparable to craving for existence vs. craving for non-existence) along the middle path.
  • edited January 2011
    Mintyfresh0,

I think the ignorance and desire such strong within us, we can't or perceive or even can't say anything about it. But, suffering is true, real, desire or we us r real, as the Buddha's four noble truths.... forgetting or ignoring the self is to know the self, answer is there!
    The "ultimate evil" in Buddhism is "craving". It seems, however, escaping from craving is impossible. I have been thinking about this subject tonight. It seems to me, a practicing Buddhist strives towards eliminating craving; and, in doing so, craves "non-craving". Is this not true? The wish to eliminate craving is rooted in craving itself-craving for "non-craving". I would appreciate input on this particular thought experiment.
    That is why the wisdom to distinguish between what is skillful and unskillful is so important. In fact, craving for enlightenment or Nibbana is probably what motivates some to practice. It is natural to want or crave something. However, even "craving non-craving" is something which must be overcome. There is no "craving" vs. "craving for non-craving" (which is comparable to craving for existence vs. craving for non-existence) along the middle path.
  • the dharma is about eliminating dukkha.
    and it is Thirst, not Craving... you can Love (maitri), even enjoy (Middle Path)... remembering or hugging a beautiful (in "ego-less soul") someone (rupa, without kamma råga).
    but, who wants to be thirsty? ...you can even, after some time... use the phåla (fruits) and help someone stop being thirsty (with the water of the fruits).
  • Yes, I do believe in reincarnation! though I can't remember the past because I m not enlightened,, yet,,,(:)), simply ask your self WHO AM I?
  • Hello Buddha7,

Actually you are right the ultimate evil is craving, but the root cause is the Ignorance. We are human, possessing sensible and desirable organs, such as eye-ear-nose-tongue-body-mind. as long we are alive, we do desire. Craving for Non-craving is much better than the craving which cause you pain and stress. Well, as i said once the ignorance is eradicated then all come to clear as light.
    thanks
  • What does noble mean in the dharma context?
  • @Dhammaduta Why do you believe in rebirth??? Just asking...
  • noble means holy, pure, right, reality, ultimate goal, wise, skillful,knowledgeable,perfect, true, sensible, meaningful, any way you put it, or want to put it called noble putting
  • at first, why i do believe in rebirth because i m a believer of the Buddha's teaching, i have faith on Buddha and his teaching so may be one day i can find the answer one day. how ever buddha said so it doesn't mean i have believe it blindly. I want to make sense of me, who m i, where i m from? why i m here, where i will go..., i really want to make a sense in my life
  • remembering past lives is not a phala (fruit) exclusive to buddha'm (plural of buddha... in a way)

{ i } have collected this phala.

@thickpaper: of a noble heart, brahmi without ego
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited January 2011
    at first, why i do believe in rebirth because i m a believer of the Buddha's teaching, i have faith on Buddha and his teaching so may be one day i can find the answer one day. how ever buddha said so it doesn't mean i have believe it blindly. I want to make sense of me, who m i, where i m from? why i m here, where i will go..., i really want to make a sense in my life
    study TriLaksana, improve samådhi.

confidence in the Dharma is 1/10 of the fetters... as in, if you have confidence (not faith) in the Dharma, you may be a srotapanna.

"doubt or uncertainty, especially about the teachings (vicikicchā)[8]" // from wiki'
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, I do believe in reincarnation! though I can't remember the past because I m not enlightened,, yet,,,(:)), simply ask your self WHO AM I?
    I asked it, thought said "who am i?", but nothing happened beside this.
  • i think you need more time. the way we need to study to pass the exam, same way we need to practice to know the answer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Moved to 'General Banter'. It's the way the thread is going anyway.... :rolleyes:
  • Why do some branches of Buddhism worship deities while others don't?
  • It seems to me that this world could have been designed in any way that the true self wanted. Even if suffering is of the imagination, it appears to be real to those suffering. Why did the true self not simply omit the illusion of suffering in the first place?
    i think there is a misunderstanding here, the idea that there is something deeper than the body/mind. as for why there is suffering, well think about evolution, who wins, the caveman who suffers when he is hungry and then ends his suffering by eating, or the guy who sits there feeling fine then after a few days keels over..
  • aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited January 2011
    The "ultimate evil" in Buddhism is "craving". It seems, however, escaping from craving is impossible. I have been thinking about this subject tonight. It seems to me, a practicing Buddhist strives towards eliminating craving; and, in doing so, craves "non-craving". Is this not true? The wish to eliminate craving is rooted in craving itself-craving for "non-craving". I would appreciate input on this particular thought experiment.
    i struggled with this exact issue. there are two parts.
    1. you can prefer something be a certain way without craving it. you can prefer to end craving without craving to end craving. by preferring a certain outcome but not attaching to that outcome you can prefer without attaching or craving.

here is a little image that helped me understand this. some guy is chained to a wall and he is hungry, there is food about 10 feet out of his reach. he would certainly prefer to get that food, if he craved for it he would reach out his hand to grab the food in vain. craving is sort of a mental reaching, it is trying to grab, to attach to things out of your reach. you can prefer to have that thing, but if you see that for the moment it is impossible you can have equanimity in the sense that you won't reach out for it uselessly.

2. when your ignorance ends and you truly understand the futility of craving, all craving will disappear. you can work on one craving at a time but once your ignorance has been destroyed all craving slips away including craving to end craving.
    i struggled with this exact issue. there are two parts.
    1. you can prefer something be a certain way without craving it. you can prefer to end craving without craving to end craving. by preferring a certain outcome but not attaching to that outcome you can prefer without attaching or craving.

here is a little image that helped me understand this. some guy is chained to a wall and he is hungry, there is food about 10 feet out of his reach. he would certainly prefer to get that food, if he craved for it he would reach out his hand to grab the food in vain. craving is sort of a mental reaching, it is trying to grab, to attach to things out of your reach. you can prefer to have that thing, but if you see that for the moment it is impossible you can have equanimity in the sense that you won't reach out for it uselessly.

2. when your ignorance ends and you truly understand the futility of craving, all craving will disappear. you can work on one craving at a time but once your ignorance has been destroyed all craving slips away including craving to end craving.
    It seems as if you are working within minute differences. To prefer and to crave are very similar. Are you saying by merely preferring, rather than craving, one can reach Nirvana? It seems as if preferring is still investing in sensual pleasures, and dukkha still exists.
  • aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited January 2011
    preference is no investment, just the other day i saw a dharma talk where ajahn brahm mentioned his favorite food. he'd probably prefer to eat some of that, but if he doesn't he won't mind. and if he can't he won't grasp for it.

preference is just which thing you'd like more. it doesn't mean that you really like or need the thing that you prefer.

the metaphor really helped me, i guess it might just work for me though. craving is a futile consuming need, preference is just which of the things dealt to you you choose to pick up. craving is the futile grasping at what is out of your reach. preference is picking the things within your reach.

remember what we are fighting here, suffering. how is picking something a cause of suffering? as long as you remained equanimous (yes that's a word) you will not suffer.

conceptually the difference is indeed minute. but again, remember what we are fighting, in terms of suffering the difference is the whole issue.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Why do some branches of Buddhism worship deities while others don't?
    twilly, the answer is, they don't.
    These 'deities' as you call them, are personifications and manifestations of specific commendable and desirable qualities. To some in those traditions, they are seen as very real and existent, and to others they are merely representations of characteristics we should develop.
    And they are prevalent mainly in the Mahayana/Tibetan tradition.

But they are 'Buddhas' or 'Boddhisattvas', and not deities. Not as I think you believe they are.
    They are not omnipotent, omniscient and all powerful, and they are certainly not eternal.
    They have a life-span precisely as you or I have.
    It's just a lot longer than ours.....

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2011
    The answer does present somewhat of a paradox. To make sense of it, I suggest checking out Thanissaro Bhikkhu's book The Paradox of Becoming for a detailed look at how the Buddha resolves this apparent paradox.

• i think there is a misunderstanding here, the idea that there is something deeper than the body/mind. as for why there is suffering, well think about evolution, who wins, the caveman who suffers when he is hungry and then ends his suffering by eating, or the guy who sits there feeling fine then after a few days keels over..

I think this is a very interesting point that wasn't really touched upon. Not sure I can believe that elimination of all desire would really be the answer. It's the motivation factor for most everything. Without desire I think a person could easily become lost and depressed. I personally found this to be the dangerous part of this journey.

This middle way idea is extremely complex. Its like don't desire, except some things. Which things? Well it depends on your attachment. As long as you don't have attachment for your desire its ok. I mean how can these lines really be defined? All desires cause attachments which cause suffering. Problem is nobody can eliminate desire completely. This whole journey could cause much more stress and suffering then just living life to the fullest. chase those highs and enjoy them.

I have been practicing for 2 years. Never felt worse.
  • Sisnarf,
    I would politely suggest that if you find it easiest just to live life to the fullest, perhaps that is the better way for you to live?

It seems to me you've got tangled in an intellectual understanding (misunderstanding?) of the Four Noble Truths when you'd be better thinking about something that actively helps you life better and happier.

I have found that turning my focus from myself to others really helps me stay positive and stable (I'm prone to depression myself). I can remember when I suddenly realised this - I was listening to the lama of my sangha, and my mind wandered. I noticed he seemed really happy and relaxed, and kept giggling (he is a very jolly soul). He was berating us for making things so hard from ourselves, thinking we could beat our egos down with a stick - but in doing so, ironically, we were focussing entirely on our own egos, thus defeating the purpose! Real Catch-22 (if I've understood him correctly).

Well even if I haven't understood entirely, it is definitely true that our lama is a very happy person. So even on that evidence, a depressive view of the dharma doesn't seem right.

Anyway, my mind wandered and suddenly I had an insight that I was supposed to be happy! Since I made that my goal, I've found things going much easier for me. Your mileage may vary, but it works for me.
    edited January 2011
    I think this is a very interesting point that wasn't really touched upon. Not sure I can believe that elimination of all desire would really be the answer.

It isn't. The elimination of Suffering, is the answer.
    You have to analyse what type of desire is motivating you, and discern whether it's skilful or not...
    It's the motivation factor for most everything. Without desire I think a person could easily become lost and depressed. I personally found this to be the dangerous part of this journey.
    Only through miscomprehension and misunderstanding. There are some things you should desire.
    This middle way idea is extremely complex. Its like don't desire, except some things. Which things? Well it depends on your attachment. As long as you don't have attachment for your desire its ok. I mean how can these lines really be defined?
    Very easily.
    You simply ask the question:
    "How is this desire conducive to my practice?"
    All desires cause attachments which cause suffering.
    Not so. All desires bring forth attachments, if unskilfully adhered to.
    If you strongly Desire to study and follow the Dhamma, do so. But do so skilfully. the moment your concentration becomes obsessive, you have permitted your desire to advance and become unskilful.
    Cling to the raft while you traverse the river. You need that raft. But once you have safe footing, release the raft and stand on dry land. if you need another raft - then build one.
    Problem is nobody can eliminate desire completely.
    Nothing should be clung to. The secret is to not let desire arise to such an extent that it becomes unskilful. Then it's hard to shift. Do not let the desires you have, become all-encompassing.
    This whole journey could cause much more stress and suffering then just living life to the fullest. chase those highs and enjoy them.
    Really? And what will happen to that viewpoint when you are obliged by circumstance to cease chasing them? The fall from the high will take you plummeting far further than the corresponding Low....
    I have been practicing for 2 years. Never felt worse.
    Then you have been doing it wrong. It's really not hard, it's actually extremely simple. Stop straining so hard. Relax a little....

• Sisnarf,
    I would politely suggest that if you find it easiest just to live life to the fullest, perhaps that is the better way for you to live?
    Thank you for the kind response. I agree turning the focus away from myself would help a lot.

• federica

Thanks for the detailed response.

I have trouble with the idea that you can bend the rules as long as you act skillfully. I mean I feel like that's a legal term so you can have a loophole for anything needed. Can't you skillfully break all the 8 precepts? I mean I can murder if I do it mindfully and it doesn't cause me stress. As long as I don't attach to the idea that murder is wrong I can skilfully murder.

When does one's concentration become obsessive to be unskillful? I mean I love to rock climb. It is a dangerous sport only used for pleasure. I thought that I was too obsessed to be skillful. I quit. I'm miserable.

I'm starting to feel Buddhism is designed to keep you at a low level of happiness. Or no happiness would be more appropriate to be completely void. Yeah your not going to have to experience many tragic things when you live in a temple. so your protected from that.

I mean for some reason I still believe in the concept. It seems like the answer but I have become very lost. Not sure how this is simple. Maybe its so simple I need to live my old life because I'm starting to feel like I did this naturally before I picked up my first Buddhist book.

I don't think relaxing is the answer. Not sure anyone knows of somebody who lives more relaxed than me. What about business people who don't have time to think about anything? Aren't they essentially meditating all day in some form? The more I think about it the opposite of a relaxed life would probably be the answer.

Regards
    edited January 2011

I have trouble with the idea that you can bend the rules as long as you act skillfully. I mean I feel like that's a legal term so you can have a loophole for anything needed. Can't you skillfully break all the 8 precepts?
    You can break all or any of the precepts you want. They're not comnmandments, they're recommendations, but what you do with them, with regard to adherence, is up to you.
    I mean I can murder if I do it mindfully and it doesn't cause me stress. As long as I don't attach to the idea that murder is wrong I can skilfully murder.
    Not so. But there is nothing written that says self-defence is not permissible. Our intention is to harm no living sentient being. But if someone is hell-bent on murdering us with a machete, and all we have at our disposal is a loaded gun, then perhaps we are put in the unenviable position of having to use it.
    All we can do is to try to cause as little damage as possible, but thinking time in such situations is not always a liberal luxury. We must just be mindful of our actions.
    When does one's concentration become obsessive to be unskillful? I mean I love to rock climb. It is a dangerous sport only used for pleasure. I thought that I was too obsessed to be skillful. I quit. I'm miserable.
    Self-deprivation is therefore equally unskilful, isn't it? Why do that to yourself?
    If you are eating a wonderful meal, you know that at one point, you simply cannot eat any more. But to continue to literally stuff yourself is not conducive to comfort, and takes the edge off the delight of having eaten the meal. Go rockclimbing. But just don't 'over-eat'....
    I'm starting to feel Buddhism is designed to keep you at a low level of happiness.
    I'm one of the happiest people I know. It's a choice, you see....
    Or no happiness would be more appropriate to be completely void. Yeah your not going to have to experience many tragic things when you live in a temple. so your protected from that.
    Oh, you mean like the Dalai Lama was protected from seeing so many of his fellow countrymen butchered, imprisoned, tortured and murdered in cold blood? Yes, I guess he was.....:rolleyes:
    Living in a temple does not make you any more immune to suffering, it, even by association....
    I mean for some reason I still believe in the concept. It seems like the answer but I have become very lost. Not sure how this is simple. Maybe its so simple I need to live my old life because I'm starting to feel like I did this naturally before I picked up my first Buddhist book.
    It is. Extraordinarily simple. In fact, it's so simple, many people do resist its simplicity, because they cannot believe something could be so simple.
    Please note: "Simple" does not mean "Easy"....
    I don't think relaxing is the answer. Not sure anyone knows of somebody who lives more relaxed than me. What about business people who don't have time to think about anything?
    I've never met anybody who hasn't got time to think about anything. In fact, far too many people are actively, continuously thinking about far too much!
    Aren't they essentially meditating all day in some form? The more I think about it the opposite of a relaxed life would probably be the answer.
    No, they're not. meditating means bringing the Mind Home, and being able to live at peace with it.
    The secret is to maintain an active mind - MindFully. In other words, you are aware and present during your thoughts. They do not run away with you, you are strolling along, with them.....

• Oh dear Sisnarf, I'm concerned you think Buddhism is some horrible exercise in self-punishment. It's not, its about living every moment of your life to the fullest, without fear or self-obsession, and with growing kindness and compassion for all sentient beings.

Go rock climbing - I've actually met several Buddhist rock climbers, cavers and other dangerous sports enthusiasts. I'm told the concentration required is meditative and I would imagine it would be a useful way of developing focus - a skill that could be transferred to meditation. I won't tell you to climb mindfully - I suspect if you didn't climb mindfully, you'd end up squished at the bottom of a cliff somewhere.

Being nice to yourself isn't against any rules - there aren't any rules in Buddhism. And besides, being nice to yourself is actually no different to being nice to others, since any difference between "yourself" and "Others" is purely illusory. You are actually supposed to show yourself as much loving kindness and compassion as you show others - so there's a "rule" for you to stick to! ;)

• "More than those who hate you,
    more than all your enemies,
    an undisciplined mind does greater harm."

i think disciplining the mind is the key practice in Buddhism, this is what the Buddha taught.
  • I would like to thank everyone for their constructive replies! I believe I got some big misconceptions figured out. Just those few replies really means a lot to me. I am actually very surprised how intelligent and nice they were. My posts had a bit of hostility in them. Yours were filled with "loving kindness"
    I'm glad we could help. Please feel free to continue anything you'd like to discuss.
    It's everybody's right to be an @$$hole for 5 minutes a day.
    Wisdom consists of not exceeding the limit.

I personally, still haven't worked that bit out, yet.....:D
  • edited January 2011
    I have practicing Dhamma for quite a long time. As I mentioned earlier somewhere that one Buddhist by act, not by birth like me. Buddhist teaching is not only for analysis but also for/to practice. Practice also I mean experiencing the facts. So, any good or positive manner we know or learn from the Buddhist teaching should practice or apply in daily life with no doubts. the Doubt Vicikiccha is such a nasty thing we human have within us which always pulls us down, and leaves us in middle of no where :)