Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Greatest Evil

13»

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    That's a hilarious video. I also like sufis, though usually they are better parboiled.

Palzang
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Drop wrote: »
    The Crusades were started by the Muslim Turks invading a Christian occupied land (I don't remember which any more). The Pope requested an alliance so as to defend that land. What you hear most during these antiChristian political days, will always be tainted and spun against the Christians.

Were this true they would have stopped at defending that land (Byzantine), rather than making it more of an afterthought and opting instead to march to the Levant to capture the Holy Land in the name of the Lord.
    Even the famous Spanish Inquisition was started by the Jews pretending to be Catholic priests to the point that again, the Pope had to call a large scale inquiry and examination to try to find out who was pretending to be what they weren't.

Do you have a remotely credible source for this? Because in all my studies of the Crusades I've never once read anything of the sort.
    I am not one of them, but to my knowledge, every Christian involved conflict has been an attack upon the Christians, usually subtly started. Even when they fought among themselves, it was found to be due to sly misinformation from outside, a practice in great use today.

No offense, but judging from the rest of your post I'd wager that you're not quite as knowledgeable on this as you might think.
  • edited May 2010
    This discussion could go anywhere. But what do you all feel is the greatest threat to civilization today?

I know some of you might be tempted to argue with my usage of the word "evil." But we can argue the existence of good and evil somewhere else. Ignore it and use the word "threat" if it suits you better.

Please try to be as specific as possible.

Viruses
  • edited June 2010
    possessive religion?
  • edited October 2010
    I'm inclined to think that the greatest threat to any notions of civilization is quite simply a lack of compassion, courtesy and respect to our fellow inhabitants of this stunningly beautiful planet - animal, plant or human.

Or, to put it another way, a lack of compassion, courtesy and respect to this incredibly wonderous bio-sphere which we ALL must SHARE.

Maybe that sounds a little simplistic, but I'm convinced that if we can only get that bit right, then all of the rest of our perceived problems will fall into the correct perspective and like mathematical problems, they will be solved.

Yes, I am Attached to this world. After all, I'll be spending the rest of my life here. :)
  • edited October 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    That's a hilarious video. I also like sufis, though usually they are better parboiled.

Palzang

I rather like Buddhists, but I couldn't eat a whole one. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Biggests threat(s)? Pride and too many desires, both running amuk
  • edited November 2010
    The greatest threat to human civilisation have always been the same, the 5 poisons:
    Greed, Anger, Ignorance, Arrogance and Doubt

The 5 desires:
    Wealth, Fame, sex, food and sleep
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Dog Star wrote: »
    I rather like Buddhists, but I couldn't eat a whole one. :)

Not even an ascetic?
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    We're talking mostly about social threats, but if you're also interested in the natural variety --

By Issac Asimov: A Choice of Catastrophes. He goes through various possible disasters, ranking them: these would destroy civilization; these, humanity; these, all life on Earth; these, the planet.

(Actually I found it pretty boring.)

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I didn't post a link.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    poto wrote: »
    The greatest threat our civilization faces today is stupidity.

A high-tech civilization requires a high-IQ population just to maintain it's infrastructure.

I am with him!:)
  • edited January 2011
    Hello all (and Photo)
    I think this is an interesting question. I think that the core threat is egoic impulse. By this I mean to say the belief that the “I” and all of its corollaries—individual and social—promote ignorance of what we can conveniently refer to as the ultimate truths (non-self, impermanence, interconnectivity and so on). Society and its policies can operate on egoic principle or the principle of inclusivity…it is a reality that capital markets must operate on the dangerous fictions of “property ownership” for example. Adding progressive or social-conscious principles may well check these monetarily useful means by reminding our policy makers of the human-interconnected realities of which we all are a part and not just a few propertied others.

Photo:
    You wrote,
    “Global warming is not a problem. It's a political issue, see ClimateGate for details. ”

This is a so-called popular argument against global warming. It has no teeth-however. The argument is that Hackers broke into the database of the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit - and put the files they stole on the Internet. The 1079 emails and 72 documents seem indeed evidence of a scandal involving scientists pushing the man-made warming theory, suggesting conspiracy, collusion in exaggerating warming data, possibly illegal destruction of embarrassing information, organized resistance to disclosure, manipulation of data, private admissions of flaws in their public claims and much more or so goes the FOX news-like convo…

The facts: Indeed, some of the correspondence isn’t something we would enjoy reading-however, an informed examination of their emails made use of “suggestive” communications that reveal technical discussion well known in peer reviewed literature….which isn’t understood at all by the average layman. These few “emails” of a more private nature (though still possessing a wealth of technical language) is hardly overwhelming evidence against anthropogenic global warming. Some of these emails are stomach churning-I agree. For example, one exchange contains a scathing discussion of skeptics such as Steve McIntyre and Roger Pielke, including imaginings of violence.
    The most quoted email…enjoyed by Fox and anti-globalist was one written by Phil Jones:
    “"I've just completed Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."
    One quote helps us clear up that “decline” here doesn’t mean decline in temperature: "Mike's Nature trick" refers to a technique (aka "trick of the trade") used in a paper published in Nature by lead author Michael Mann (Mann 1998). The "trick" is the technique of plotting recent instrumental data along with the reconstructed data. This places recent global warming trends in the context of temperature changes over longer time scales.”

Also, “The second most cited email is from climate scientist and IPCC lead author Kevin Trenberth. The highlighted quote is this: "The fact is that we can't account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can't." This has been most commonly interpreted (among skeptics) as climate scientists secretly admitting amongst themselves that global warming really has stopped. Trenberth is actually discussing a paper he'd recently published that discusses the planet's energy budget - how much net energy is flowing into our climate and where it's going (Trenberth 2009). In Trenberth's paper, he discusses how we know the planet is continually heating due to increasing carbon dioxide. Nevertheless, surface temperature sometimes shows short term cooling periods. This is due to internal variability and Trenberth was lamenting that our observation systems can't comprehensively track all the energy flow through the climate system. More on Trenberth's travesty...” ‘

ClimateGate—so-called—has been diligently dealt with by those who authored these emails as well the scientific community. As far as that community is concerned it isn’t a political issue at all. That humans are causing global warming is the position of the Academies of Science from 19 countries plus many scientific organizations that study climate science. More specifically, around 95% of active climate researchers actively publishing climate papers endorse the consensus position. This is indeed a dead issue in the community at large. It isn’t politically this is true. It isn’t for industry and this is also true. However, both of these institutions have other interests than the science motivating their private interests.

Also, I find your discussion on overpopulation interesting. I think if we ignore, national boundaries, traditions, racial tensions, religious struggles, geography, and the issues tied up in private property…perhaps you may be correct. But, in our country, as well as most others, land and resources are allocated to a select few. So, while it may be possible to supply land and food for much of the world, our socio-political realities make this a sure fantasy for the present.
    Thanks all for the discussion,
    Eric D.
  • Ignorance and Apathy
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    This discussion could go anywhere. But what do you all feel is the greatest threat to civilization today?
    Corporate greed; unfettered (thanks to the WTO, among other things) corporate power.

(oops! No, Cloud, I'm not stalking you. :rolleyes: )
  • I also like sufis, though usually they are better parboiled.Palzang
    Has anyone ever noticed how similar some Sufi beliefs/practices are to Buddhism? Turns out the person who founded Sufism was born and raised in an area of Inner Asia that was Buddhist. The Arabs penetrated Asia toward the ancient Buddhist centers in the oasis towns like Kotan, at one time.
  • UNBRIDLED CAPATILISM
  • looking at the world picture today the anti islam movement is more likely to cause world destruction, than islam is
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I know some of you might be tempted to argue with my usage of the word "evil." But we can argue the existence of good and evil somewhere else. Ignore it and use the word "threat" if it suits you better.

Please try to be as specific as possible.
    Greed, Hate, and Ignorance. AKA, The 3 Poisons. The Buddha was way ahead of his time. :)

• The top quartile of the population is comprised entirely of geniuses?
    Hey, I am a genius!
  • We're talking mostly about social threats, but if you're also interested in the natural variety --

By Issac Asimov: A Choice of Catastrophes. He goes through various possible disasters, ranking them: these would destroy civilization; these, humanity; these, all life on Earth; these, the planet.

(Actually I found it pretty boring.)

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
    Social threats stem from the actions of people. What causes the evil actions of people? The ego unchecked and its tendency to mute our ability to be compassionate and to love.

• I personally think humans as a whole are the greatest threat to our species. We will eventually destroy ourselves via a varierty of causes which may include global warming, over population, war which consists of superior technology, chemical nuclear and of course the muslim brotherhood. By this last statement I do not refer to islam or even muslims as I have a couple of muslim friends, but there is a huge movement which is growing and will soon act, they do not shy away either, they are very upfront about their actions.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I thought this thread had been buried, but no. Never let a good story go....

A new thread might have been more aposite.

Mind you -
    "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose".....
  • Ah, you have reered your head federica, it has been a while. How are doing these days?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I refuse to answer that without my lawyer present....

Seriously, things are cool.
    That is to say, Life has moments of some suffering, some not-so suffering and some not suffering at all.
    in other words.... Life is an ongoing process...

Thanks for asking TT. Nice to see you again. :)
  • you too fede. A everything does, I have also changed, well I change every second as does everybody, including your lawyer.

I did not know this thread was so old, so sorry for bumping an old topic of conversation. Interesting concept though
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Hmmm the most evil thing in the world...

this might be bypassing the question but

whats the most messed up thing that can happen to humans by humanity

nuclear war, quite possibly doing nothing about climate change... world war three...

if any of that crap happens it's everyone elses fault and not mine so no comment I donno why you guys would do that to yourselves
  • I have 4 nukes in my spare room, so don't get in my bad books, looking at you Iran + shanyin