Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Procrastination

edited February 2011 in General Banter
I am the Queen of Procrastination - I procrastinate about everything: housework, walking the dog, meditating... but most especially writing my essays for my course. Partly I can blame this on my medical condition, that causes severe fatigue, but then again, I was like this before I got ill.

So guys, can anyone tell me a solution to the problem of procrastination? I'm great once I get started on something; it's just starting that I struggle with.

Comments

• No easy solution. I'll share my struggle with it.

I used to think that if I did something I enjoyed for a while, I could go and do all the work I need to do for the rest of the day. So, I'd say to myself "I'll game for a couple of hours then do something useful". Next thing I know, it's getting dark and I am going to sleep having wasted the whole day.

One night I was meditating and the thought of all the things I had to do crossed my mind. There was no running from it there, I was confronted with it and all the consequences that would follow. My heart started racing and I was surprised by how different my thoughts were. Having experienced that sort of clarity regarding all the things I had to do, I started paying close attention to the mental processes involved when I procrastinate.

The most evident thing was that whenever the thought of work came up I'd slip into some fantasy world. I'd go watch TV, play a game or just keep telling myself I'll do it at a certain time. It's very comforting to tell myself that I will do it later. Sometimes I'd even do something that I didn't have to do but was still productive, like learn something new.

There are a couple of Buddhist talks which were very insightful. First is Ajahn Brahm's Wisdom and stupidity:

The second was Gil Fronsdal's talk on sensual desire:
    http://www.zencast.org/zencast_43_sensual_desire

The thing that confronted me in Ajahn Brahm's talk was "the most important time is now". The more I thought about it, the more important it became. Putting things off till 'later' can last forever. Doing things now is the only way to get things done.

Gil Fronsdal's talk was just pure genius.

There are also some habits I had to change to become more productive. I'd tend to get a bit nocturnal and live on energy drinks, especially around exam time. I dropped that habit.

I also reflected on the feeling of freedom I'd get by getting things done. I haven't experienced that in ages. It's like I always have a weight on my shoulders to get things done. Even when I did things I thought I enjoyed, it was just a temporary escape from reality of the situation.

Another problem was that I'd let my todo list build up and I'd keep telling myself I'll do it all in one day, even though the list grew beyond what was possible to do in a day. Instead of tackling the whole list at once, I get up early and decide that I will do one or two of the things on the list and then enjoy the freedom for the rest of the day. That's what I've been doing. Strangely, I don't get much pleasure from the things I thought I enjoyed, because they no longer provide an escape. I might spend 3 hours doing something productive, then I'll game for a couple of hours... get bored... watch a movie... get bored... and so on. By the end of the day I am actually looking for something to do, but I stop myself from going to the todo list and getting back into the habit of trying to get everything done in one day. So, I end up meditating or reading something useful... which I actually enjoy rather than use as an escape.

I think the theme of my answer is that the present moment is most important. Not only because now is the time to get things done, but now is the time you should occupy mentally. By that I mean, don't fantasise about how you'll get things done later or escape into the past or future... stay in the now.

Keep in mind, this didn't happen overnight. I had to reflect on what was going on inside of my head a lot. I'd feel the craving, be with it, get to know it. I'd give in and feel what that was like. I'd examine the outcomes and reflect on whether giving into the craving was worth it. I actually spent a few weeks just being conscious of my procrastination to get to know it.

I don't know how long my new approach will last, but it's working for me so far.
  • Vipassana.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=M2S-7-lWzHIC&lpg=PP1&dq=Mahasi Sayadaw&pg=PR9#v=onepage&q&f=false

doing vipassana, you will see the feeling of procrastination (and diverse feelings that compose procrastination), you will then just note it, and see it dissipate.

Just like any other negative emotional reaction like envy, hatred, anger, sadness etc...
  • edited February 2011
    Ada, check out possible depleted dopamine? Missing dopamine receptors? Drink LOTS of decaffeinated green tea!!! Also a few other tips. Seriously. Can't get motivated? Can't get moving? Inertia holding you down? Supposedly the "dopamine reward cycle" might be messed up; but I don't care about the explanation, I just care about a solution working!

LINK:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7367312_increase-number-dopamine-receptors.html
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I had the exact same thing and figured it out. You do procrastinate because it is nice to do nothing. That's also why meditation is so nice.

But I also found that it is even nicer to do nothing when there really is nothing to do. So important things, I get them out of the way first.

As Ajahn Brahms says, doing things is easy, thinking about it is the hard part.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I was thinking of responding now, but I'll do it a bit later..... :p
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Turn the "I should do *this*..." (guilt-ridden, beating yourself up about it)

into a

"I could do *this, but*....." (gives you the option of providing a lucid reason as to why you're putting it off).

Then, you can figure out, by questioning your motive, whether it's skilful or not. :)
  • edited February 2011
    I'm serious about the dopamine's effect on executive behavior. Chemical (neurotransmitter) imbalances have big effects on people's behaviors. Just take a slug of Jack Daniels sometime if you need proof. :D
  • I think it's more that I like to do pleasant, easy things than do hard, possibly unpleasant things.

For instance, I enjoy writing essays, but only once I've got going with it - that feeling of staring at a blank screen with not a thought in my head is not a good one. And it can take several false starts before I get the flow going. This morning it took me an hour and a half to write the first 50 words. I wrote the last 50 words in half an hour.

Maybe a part of me thinks if I can put it off, it isn't happening.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I think it's more that I like to do pleasant, easy things than do hard, possibly unpleasant things.
    There are no pleasant or unpleasant things.
    What makes the things "unpleasant" to you is your negative emotional reaction to it.

You've unconsciously programmed yourself to react this way.

the same way if an angry dog attack you, you will react with fear next time you see one.

With Buddhism and meditation, you will be able to look at these negative emotional reactions and remain equanimous, thus reprogramming yourself to not react with negative emotions.

That is if you ever decide to take on meditation seriously.

For now, you can simply try to feel whatever negative emotion that arises inside of you whenever you think about whatever it is that you want to do.
    Try to just look at the feeling, see what it is like. See how far it spread in your body etc...

• Try taking an honest look at your procrastination - and it seems to me that you have - then when something comes up ask yourself "If I don't do it now, when will I do it?"

• That is if you ever decide to take on meditation seriously.

For now, you can simply try to feel whatever negative emotion that arises inside of you whenever you think about whatever it is that you want to do.
    Try to just look at the feeling, see what it is like. See how far it spread in your body etc...
    Excuse me??? If I ever decide to take on meditation seriously? What do you think I've been doing? Sitting there writing shopping lists in my head?

Before you can fix a problem, you have to be aware that it's there. I was asked if I had any insights into why I procrastinated, so I thought about it and replied as I did.

FWIW, dogs are very rarely angry - that is a human emotion. Dogs attack for reasons of territory, fear, dominance or because they have been trained that way. So my reaction to an apparently 'angry' dog would depend on why I felt the dog was acting up.

Likewise, when analysing my own emotions, I try not to jump to conclusions. My first instincts might be to assume I am either lazy, or scared of the job I'm trying to avoid, but on reflection, it is neither of those motivations. Which is interesting. But maybe quite a few steps from avoiding procrastination.

From your reply I'd assume you no longer have negative emotions... or at least believe that is the case. Which is not quite the same thing ;)
  • Turn the "I should do *this*..." (guilt-ridden, beating yourself up about it)

into a

"I could do *this, but*....." (gives you the option of providing a lucid reason as to why you're putting it off).

Then, you can figure out, by questioning your motive, whether it's skilful or not. :)
    I like this. It makes me realise how often I "guilt" myself into doing stuff and then feel bad because I haven't done it.

BTW, I got my essay in early ;)
  • Just Do It - Nike.
  • Can we talk about this later? :)
  • Excuse me??? If I ever decide to take on meditation seriously? What do you think I've been doing? Sitting there writing shopping lists in my head?
    How would i know how you spend your time? ;)

Hence why i wrote the answer for both possibilities.
    FWIW, dogs are very rarely angry - that is a human emotion. Dogs attack for reasons of territory, fear, dominance or because they have been trained that way. So my reaction to an apparently 'angry' dog would depend on why I felt the dog was acting up.
    The dog example was not specific to you, just a clear example to illustrate how we program negative emotional reactions in ourselves in general.
  • Patbb, I reacted like that because I felt you were being a little patronising by saying "If you ever decide to take on meditation seriously". It presupposes I don't, which as you've said, isn't something you'd know.
    Not sure if English is Patbb's native/first language.... :scratch:
  • Oops, thanks for the heads up Federica! I'm evidently auditioning for the part of Grumpy!
    No, really. I'm just sayin' that there might be a slight lack of fluency in expression.
    I'm not accusing you of being grumpy. heck, I understand your response. But if Patbb isn't as completely versed in apposite communication, well... it might make for an interesting and non-deliberate slip....

's all... :)