Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Retreat dana - How much?

edited March 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I am planning my first vipassana retreat, a "beginner's" retreat of 2 nights/days. The stated cost is for the facility only. The teacher's pay is dana. There is no info on how much dana is appropriate. I cannot find any guidelines on this. All my own considerations are based on various rationales of my own making, none/all make sense.

Any advice will be welcome.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I think one teaching is to figure out how much is reasonable for you to give. By feel. And then give a little more. But question that too. Keep an open mind.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Whatever figure you come up with, add a penny.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Give what you believe is warranted (according to your financial situation & the quality of the teachings you receive). For example, if the teacher is not useful, then they probably need to find another job. The amount of dana depends on you. To end, be at ease about it all.

:)
  • The retreat center can provide a practical guidance on this issue, that is a precise amount needed to cover their costs. Why the dodginess of the teachers related to money? And, the dodginess of the answers so far? I am asking a simple question to which a simple answer is sufficient.
  • DD +1
  • amused, annoyed, confused, but mostly doubtful of your intentions.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Letitgo,

While I agree with the general consensus of the posters on this thread (i.e. give what you can and what you feel is appropriate), it was calculated at my local retreat center that the average retreatant's expenses are $25/day, maybe this information is similar for your retreat center, maybe not. You could probably ask the retreat managers/caretakers for this information.

Metta,

Guy
    darling12you
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Letitgo,
    Why the dodginess of the teachers related to money? And, the dodginess of the answers so far? I am asking a simple question to which a simple answer is sufficient.
    It could be that the teachers do not want to put any pressure on people who feel they "have to" give a certain amount that is not practical for them.

Metta,

Guy
  • Hi Letitgo,

While I agree with the general consensus of the posters on this thread (i.e. give what you can and what you feel is appropriate), it was calculated at my local retreat center that the average retreatant's expenses are $25/day

Guy
    Your meaning is $25/day to the teacher? (This center lists their cost and is explicit in their payment.)

Look, all I want to do is figure out a fair amount to pay. I am not a cheapskate, and I am of limited income. I am looking for a "middle way" here. Too little and the teacher is ripped off. Too much and I cannot afford to pay what is fair and reasonable, so will not schedule the time.
  • @letitgo

Why not voice this out to the center in the first place? I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you if you were very direct about your concerns.
  • @letitgo

Why not voice this out to the center in the first place? I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you if you were very direct about your concerns.
    Yes. I have just done this. The initial info on their web site is as vague as most of what you all have submitted here, but I have asked them for some specifics and hope to get a range or average suggestion.

It is puzzling why this issue cannot be made clear from the start. My regular center is quite specific in their dana guidance. They run a non-profit and transparency is not only useful for assuring sustainability, but I think it is the law.
  • Most likely suggesting an amount for dana would defeat the purpose of a dana in the first place, which is to give from the heart. I'm sure the teacher's cost for travel, accommodations, meals, etc., are already taken care of by a sponsor or something. And usually the teacher would channel all the dana given to him back to the center.
  • Most likely suggesting an amount for dana would defeat the purpose of a dana in the first place, which is to give from the heart. I'm sure the teacher's cost for travel, accommodations, meals, etc., are already taken care of by a sponsor or something. And usually the teacher would channel all the dana given to him back to the center.
    Really? You know that is the way it is done? Who are these sponsors? That could be a sizable amount of money.

And if the "purpose" of dana is not a donation to cover teacher's cost of living, then why is the "purpose" not made more explicit?

I get dana as giving and generosity. I don't get it if there is another unstated objective.

This whole topic, here on this site, is perplexing, and I am experiencing some annoyance. At the vipassana center I have been attending for almost a year, and at the office of the Buddhist therapist I have seen, I can ask questions and get straight answers of anyone - that or a simple, honest "I don't know." Sometimes the answer is vague, but it is a useful vagueness, delivered with kindness, that leaves me with a hint of direction. Is there something else going on at this site that is common to another Buddhist tradition? I am not complaining, but if there is, my curiosity is on alert and I am ready to learn, but please, don't just be a smart ass for the sake of cuteness of some sort.
  • Where I live, this is how it's usually done. A teacher is invited and someone or some people offer to sponsor the teacher's accommodation, travel, food, etc. Someone would offer to put up the teacher or offer to pay for the hotel room, someone else would offer to chauffeur the teacher around, someone would cook for the teacher or pay for the food, someone else would sponsor the materials to be prepared, etc. It's usually a group effort.

The purpose of dana to the teacher is basically to show appreciation and to accumulate merit. If the teacher is monastic then he/she wouldn't be in the correct position to handle the monies collected in the first place. If it was a lay teacher then part of it would be for payment.

Like I said, talk to the people administering the center, in person if possible, and air your concerns to them. If everything was legit, there'd be no problems in clearing your doubts. We can only do so much here.
    darling12you
  • We can only do so much here.
    Isn't this site the source of ALL answers?

:)
  • You Wish!

• here's something from a reputable organization:
    Suggested guidelines are $20-30 for a half day, and $40-60 for a full day. But remember, you can make this a personal practice as well as a means of supporting the Center and teachers.
    http://www.againstthestream.org/support/dana

RELATED QUESTION:
    How do you go about getting a U.S. tax-deduction? What type of form and/or paperwork do you need to do/bring?
    darling12you
  • In fact, there is no obligation to offer dana to the dharma teacher. You may offer dana to the retreat center, and its administrators who would use the money to support the need of its center, dharma lectures/talks and dharma teachers there and then. Nonetheless, dharma teachers will not differentiate the dana contributed in kind or even if there is no dana for them.

• RELATED QUESTION:
    How do you go about getting a U.S. tax-deduction? What type of form and/or paperwork do you need to do/bring?
    I do not earn enough, or have enough deductibles to benefit from itemized deductions, but I always check. One must spend or donate a substantial amount on itemized deductibles to realize a better deduction than the standard deduction. That said, make your donations by check and get a receipt that shows you donated to an IRS recognized non-profit. If you can add up enough, then you can save some on your tax bill.
    darling12you